7: Sweet Disposition

Nothing's Wrong

-----

“You all probably have an idea on why I called you here.” YG president Yang Hyun Suk said as he stood, wearing his signature cap as he called in a meeting with the 2ne1 members and their manager, Jjangmae, in his office. “This is regarding Dara’s unfortunate encounter this morning.”

 

Dara shifted in her seat as her eyes met Yang Hyun Suk’s pensive ones.

 

“Now I can assure you all that the police are on top of the situation. We’ve also tightened security outside the building for the meantime.” He said, an uncommon tinge of frustration in his voice. “But, as a precaution, I’ll be asking all of you to move into the YG apartment a little sooner.  I know that we’ve agreed that you girls will be moving after your debut, but the situation called for compromise. I've already arranged the apartment to be ready today.”

 

“Thank you sajangnim.” Jjangmae said, urging the rest of the girls to bow respectfully with him. “It’d really be safer for the girls there.”

 

Hyun Suk sighed. “I didn’t know Young Bae’s fans were this extreme. We’ll have to address this properly. But for now, just don’t go driving by your own. Even if only Dara’s known publicly, you girls all be careful. You’re just two months away from debuting.”

 

“Deh.” The girls said in chorus.

 

-----

 

GD frowned at the sight. His precious Bentley…

 

“When you said you needed to ride with me because you ‘bumped’ your car, you could have been more specific.” Teddy observed, folding his arms while standing with GD beside the white Bentley which had scratches and gigantic dents from his car chase that morning. “So this is what you do now on your spare time? Going on car chases and destroying billion dollar cars?”

 

“It was necessary.” GD sullenly replied, turning away from the car. Teddy couldn’t make out the expression in GD’s face. It was almost the look of annoyance, yet there was a hint of relief.

 

“Young Bae told me, G-ero (A/N: meant to sound like Gee-hero).” Teddy let out a smug. “I don’t understand why you had to go through the trouble of instructing Young Bae when you could have helped her by yourself. In the end, it was your Bentley that saved her car from falling anyway.” 

 

GD closed his eyes, shaking his head. “Don’t remind me.”

 

“…. Could it be…” Teddy looked curiously at GD. “…. Jiyong! You child!”

 

“What?” GD asked nonchalantly, his eyes still closed.

 

“You’re still mad that Dara called TOP BELOVED?!” Teddy asked loudly. GD glared at him.  “That's why you refuse to talk to her and give her all these weird hairstyles?! This boy, seriously… You better grow up or I’ll hit you in the head, arrassou?”

 

-----

 

“THIS IS AMAZING!” CL shouted, surveying their new dormitory. It was a three bedroom loft type luxury condominium, decorated in a minimalist theme with a purple and white color scheme. The mahogany floor stretched to four directions leading from the common room to the terrace, kitchen, a staircase that led to the bedrooms on the loft.  

 

Upon entering, one would get a view of the living room, which was adorned with white couches, a glass coffee table and sheepskin fur in the middle facing the 42 inch flat screen television. Vividly covered abstract paintings and posters of random American singers were juxtaposed on the white walls, creating a somehow hip atmosphere. Quirky embellishments of different varieties were displaced around; a handy smiling stress ball being one of them (just like in Teddy’s studio). Opposite from the apartment door, one could see the glass doors that lead to the terrace that overlooked the Han River.

 

In a nutshell, it was like YG swag had vomited into a very high classed apartment.  

 

“How much money does YG make exactly?!” Dara said in awe. She walked slowly, afraid that she might break some expensive piece of furniture. “We haven’t even debuted and they give us something this extravagant.”

 

“Unnie! Just let it sink in!” Minzy exclaimed, running to the staircase to get to the bedrooms. “Dibs on the biggest bed!”

 

-----

 

Bom stood outside the dormitory, marveling the sight from the hall.

 

“I can’t believe this is happening.” Bom whispered to herself, appreciative of such unexpected surprise.  In the middle of her appreciation, she heard soft music coming out from the next door dormitory, as the door was left ajar.

 

barame heut nallineun geudae hyanggiga
natge deullyeo oneun geudae mogsoriga

 

[Song Reference: Snowflake- Gummy, That Winter the Wind Blows OST]

 

This song was too familiar and overplayed in the Korean radio that it only took Bom a second to figure out someone was watching Korea’s favorite drama. Out of curiosity, she took a peek at the slightly open door.

 

It was the last scene of the last episode, wherein the lead guy was serving tea to the lead girl. If Bom remembered correctly, the girl was blind, so she couldn’t really validate if the man in front of her was her faux brother turned lover whom she hasn’t seen for six months. But she was explaining to the guy about how she knew it was him because her vicious faux mom who had a change of heart told her about him . The lead man asked the lead girl how long she’d known about him, and quite accurately, the girl answered “twenty days ago…”  

 

Anyway, Bom didn’t really have a taste for such types of dramas. She was more fond of sitcoms and action themed dramas. The only reason she knew of the final episode was because of Dara’s persistent nagging for her to watch it. Bom did notice, though, that the man watching the drama was particularly affected by the scene. He was sobbing joyfully, perhaps with the relief that both lead roles cheated death and ended up together happily ever after.

 

“Tabi, need more tissue?” Bom asked teasingly as she poked her head inside the apartment and tried to contain her laughter at was she was seeing. TOP quickly turned off the television using the remote control and looked at the door, wide-eyed, as if he was caught watching something he wasn’t supposed to watch.

 

“Y-YAH! What are you doing here!” he asked, running for the door in his pajamas. “Don’t you know how to knock?!”

 

“Wae? Don’t you know how to lock your apartment door?” Bom responded with another question, looking at TOP who was blushing out of embarrassment. “I didn’t know you were into the type of relationships, Tabi. Does uncle know about this?”

 

“It’s not ! He’s not the real brother!” Tabi explained thoroughly, though he regretted his explanation when he saw Bom’s grin widen. “Y-y-you! Get out!”

 

“I don’t want to!!” Bom replied, trying to enter the room while TOP pushed her out. “Come on, let’s watch it together! You seem to have the whole DVD collection, huh? That series has been finished months ago!”

 

“Fans gave it to me so I can watch Korean drama even when I’m in Japan!” TOP heated up, using his long arms to block Bom from entering the Bigbang dormitory. “YAH! This is an apartment for men!”

 

“Arrassou, arrassou!” Bom raised her hands in surrender, her eyes still mischievously looking at TOP’s. “But Tabi, this is a real breakthrough from your usual stern self, huh? Do your fans know about your soft, vulnerable side?”

 

TOP shot a death glare at Bom, which was well received.

 

“Oooh, so scary.” Bom continued to tease as TOP pushed her to the corridor.

 

“No one will ever find out about this, got it?” TOP declared, gripping Bom’s shoulders with his hands.

 

“Find out about what?” Seungri asked suspiciously, walking through the corridors from the elevator. He looked oddly at the two. “Why are you holding noona like that?”

 

“I-it’s not what you think!” TOP shouted, hurriedly letting go of Bom’s shoulders and standing up straight.

 

“What’s that? I thought you said never to use those lines in front of other people.” Bom asked casually, disregarding Seungri’s question.

 

“Seungri is not part of other people, this guy’s worse!” TOP answered back, pointing at Seungri. “This guy’s a variety show nightmare; if you don’t clear it up with him early on he’ll divulge this as part of my dating secrets.”

 

“Yah, do I sound like…” Seungri started, but was cut off immediately by Bom.

 

“Well then you can go on variety shows and explain what truly happened!” she exclaimed.

 

“What? You think I could explain what happened from the top?” TOP retorted, hoping that Bom would understand. “And speaking of, you better not tell this brat anything or else!”

 

“What brat?!” Seungri asked.

 

“Or else what?” Bom challenged, too absorbed with their quarrel to notice Seungri.

 

“Or else…” TOP leaned to Bom to whisper something near her ear. After hearing what he had to say, Bom groaned and looked at Seungri.

 

“You saw nothing. I’ll destroy your face if you say otherwise.” Bom threatened. “You know very well what I’m capable of.”

 

-----

 

GD was back at the recording room. However, instead of writing lyrics or recording songs, he was busy looking at internet articles about what happened to Dara that morning.

 

Angry fans and Dara Park

 

Fans’ idol obsession to the extreme: the Dara Park case

 

EDITORIAL: The dangers of kissing an idol

 

Netizens from all over the world consoled Dara for what the fans did to her. Anti-fan cafés closed down or converted to fan cafes as people poured in to show their support over the innocent idol.  In the midst of almost getting herself killed, GD realized one thing: in the end, Dara was still the luckiest. She was now the most well accepted idol in the industry.

 

As he read, someone knocked on the door. In came Taeyang, who moved closer to look at what GD was busy looking at. “Those are articles about this morning?”

 

“Yeah.” GD replied, his eyes glued on the screen. “Hyung already transferred them to the YG dorm?”

 

“Yup.” Taeyang responded, sitting to a swivel chair next to GD. “Were those really our fans? They’re getting a little out of hand.”

 

“A little…” GD repeated, forming creases on his forehead. “You should pay more attention now, since it’s your fans that caused this entire ruckus.”

 

“Yeah, I’ll have to address them soon.” Taeyang agreed maturely. “But then, what you did for Dara earlier… Was that…”

 

“Don’t say it.” GD said firmly. “Whatever you’re going to speculate, just keep it to yourself.”

 

Taeyang let out a smile. “Sneaky Jiyong.”

 

“Ji, Young bae,” Teddy called as he entered the room. “The girls are having a small jipdeuri tonight at their new pad.”

 

“Oh, really?” Taeyang smirked. “What time does the party start?”

 

-----

“Wow! I’m starved!” Daesung commented, looking at the dining table where the delivered foods were placed. Professionally made Korean rice cakes, braised beef, japchae, and samgyeopsal occupied the table.  Normally, the hosts would have to cook in a housewarming party, but seeing as it was a spontaneous idea –from Seungri, no surprise there— they had to make do with ordering the meals instead.

 

“No touching until everyone’s here!” CL noted, swatting Seungri’s hand away from the table.

 

“Teddy oppa said they’re already at the lobby.” Minzy uttered, checking her cellphone. “Seungri oppa, call TOP oppa now so we can start!”

 

“Hyung went out a while ago, he said he’ll take a while.” Seungri informed the bunch. 

 

“Really? I wonder where he went.” Dara asked.

 

Ding dong.

 

“I’ll get it!” Bom announced, walking towards the door to let in Teddy, GD and Taeyang.

 

“Yaaah, Will you look at this joint!” Teddy exclaimed, surveying the apartment with his eyes. “It’s official: 2ne1’s YG hyung’s favorite group!”

 

Teddy gave hugs to the girls, while Taeyang gave them smiles and pats on the back. GD on the other hand, was as stiff as the random sculpture of an antelope beside him.

 

“Hyung!” Seungri called, saving GD from his awkwardness by motioning him to enter the dining room. “Come on, I’m really hungry! Let’s eat!”

 

-----

“Dontcha wish your boyfriend was HOT like me?!” Seungri drunkenly gave it all as he sang the lyrics to ‘Dontcha’ flashing on the television. “DONTCHA?”

 

It’s been hours of this tormenting and relentless medley of poor vocal performance from Seungri, Daesung and Teddy. A drinking tournament began right after they ate their dinner. At the hands of CL, the hard drinker, the three lost miserably and started to sing in this tragic manner, even as they reached 2 in the morning.

 

Teddy was shaking his head in embarrassment, but he too was too drunk to do anything about it. He lifted the bottle of soju he gripped with his hand and shouted. “Sssssomeone bang his head on unconcossuoious!”

 

“I know you want meeehhh! I know you doooo….” Daesung sang beside Seungri, caressing his face unceremoniously.

 

“If your fans could only see you like that!” CL exclaimed, enjoying the scene. "Young bae oppa, you look drunk too!"

 

"Ani-ani-ani-ani!" Taeyang said repeatedly, getting a piece of meat and dunking it in an ashtray. "I'm not drunk, I'm just sleepy." 

 

“I should take these guys home, they’re totally bombed.” GD explained to the remaining few who could were sober enough to understand him. Seungri and Daesung had already fallen to the ground, laughing like crazy men.

 

“I’ll help youuuuuuu!” Dara volunteered, though she was also drunk.  

 

“Unnie, you have to go bed.” Minzy reprimanded. Thank goodness she was off alcohol.

 

“I insist!” Dara exclaimed. “I have a lot to say to Jiiiiiiiiiyoooooooooong. ”

 

GD sighed. “What is it, noona?”

 

“You neeed to look at me firsssst!” Dara’s words slurred, and she was talking while lying on the comfortable sheepskin rug.

 

“It’s hard to look at you when you’re on the ground.” GD replied, although for the first time since he entered the dormitory, he did look at Dara directly.

 

“Silence!” Dara waved her hands to her head. “I’m ssssorry! OKAY? For whatever I did that maddened youuuuuuu!” She was pointing her hand in all directions. “And… and…  Thank you for the bernktley!”

 

“The what?” Bom asked.

 

“The beriojmknlteley….” Dara repeated, and finally drifted off to sleep.

 

“This ajumma, really…. I’ll get her to bed.” CL assisted, and together with Minzy, lifted Dara to her room.

 

“Come on Jiyong, I’ll help you with the rest of them.” Bom offered, pulling Seungri by the leg.

 

“Y-yah! Not like that!” GD corrected, but Bom continued to pull Seungri by the leg towards the other dormitory.

 

“Don’t worry, he’ll survive.”

 

------

 

“Thank you, Bom noona.” GD said politely as the three drunken men made it to the Bigbang apartment without scandalizing themselves. “Oh, and don’t forget to lock your doors. We don’t know if the fans may be at it again.”

 

“Arrassou, arrassou!” Bom noted, smiling at GD. Finally, they were in good terms again. “Will take particular care of Dara.”

 

“O-okay. Good night.” GD said, closing the door of their apartment.

 

“This punk, really.” Bom commented, slowly understanding his way of thinking now. Bom walked back to their apartment. Before she could turn the knob, someone tapped her from her side.

 

“What is it Jiyong?” Bom assumed, her attention still focused on turning the door knob to open the apartment door.

 

“Park Bom.” The baritone voice called.

 

Bom turned to her side and saw TOP, who looked drenched. 

 

“You’re still awake.” TOP stated obviously. “The party just ended now?”

 

“Yeah, a little while ago.” Bom replied worriedly. “Was it raining hard outside?”

 

“Sort of.”

 

“Oh. Well then you should change quickly before you catch a cold.” Bom adviced.

 

“Yeah, I will.” TOP agreed, grinning slightly to Bom’s confusion. “Give me your hand.”

 

“Waeyo?”

 

“Just give it.”

 

“Which hand?”

 

“Either! Hurry up or I’ll catch a cold!”

 

Bom stretched her right hand towards TOP. He took out a small box from his pocket and placed it on her outstretched hand. Afterwards, he instructed, “Open it.”

 

“What is it?”

 

“You think I would tell you and ruin the surprise?”

 

Bom gave up rationalizing whatever TOP had planned for her. She opened the box and suddenly a fake flying cockroach soared to her face, sending her jumping and swatting the toy like crazy.

 

“YAAAAH!!!! GET IT OFF ME GET IT OFF ME!” Bom screamed at TOP. Only he could have known how badly disgusted Bom was over cockroaches—whether they be fake or real.

 

“Happy moving in, Bombom.” TOP laughed at the lame practical joke that he pulled. He patted her head with his large hand and said, “Good night.” before he entered the Bigbang apartment, leaving an angry Bom with the toy cockroach.

 

“I’ll kill you tomorrow!” Bom warned loud enough for TOP to hear from inside his apartment. She picked up the toy cockroach and squirmed at the sight. “Disgusting.”

 

Then as she grabbed the box, she saw a small picture from the inside. She couldn’t make out what it was, so Bom took it out from the box. When she finally recognized what the picture was, Bom couldn’t contain her smile. It was a picture of her and TOP when they were still in grade school: very fat yet very happy.

 

Dugeun. Dugeun. went Bom's heart. 

 

(A/N: What do you think? Thanks for subscribing! I'll be happy to read your comments if you have any! :D )