02.

A Perfect Starless Sky

 

The following morning Yixing has a focused mind into getting his mother’s medication but Junmyeon nags at the back of his mind like a splint stuck on his skin. The impact of yesterday’s events still roams around his thoughts and he can’t really shake it off.

Hospitals have pharmacies, he concludes. And with that he makes a self-excuse to visit Junmyeon. The reasons of his own actions are never really apparent but Yixing is pretty much used to it by now.

“Kim Junmyeon?” The sullen lady from the front desk asks and Yixing’s nose scrunches in thought. He wouldn’t know Junmyeon’s last name but chances are there mustn’t be that many Junmyeon’s in that hospital.

“Uh…yes, yes.”

“Are you a relative?” She inquires, breaking cold nervous sweats out of Yixing.

“Hum…not precisely. I helped him when he was in the crash.” He explains vaguely.

She looks pointedly at him and hits a few keys while he waits in silence and plays with his hands. But before she could allow or deny him the visit the pretty nurse from the day before passes through and recognizes him. She ignores the desk lady and kindly directs Yixing to Junmyeon’s room without further words.

“Mr. Kim you have a visit.” Her voice is soft but Junmyeon doesn’t turn around to verify who his visit is.

Yixing thanks her, an unnecessary amount of times as it’s common to him, and goes stand by the doorframe.

He’s almost deluded of having flowers in his hand at this point, everything seems a bit disconcerted considering the circumstances - he sees Junmyeon up by the bed and dressed, in a dark expensive looking suit, and ready to leave. Yixing knocks the side of the doorframe and Junmyeon spares him a look over his shoulder that grows into a smile as he finally sees who it is. He probably wasn’t expecting anyone and Yixing is merely happy that that didn’t earn himself a frown.  And it strikes him then that he feels somehow attracted to this, the sympathy.

“Already leaving?” He asks.

“I’ve got no business staying here any longer.”

“But you got injured yesterday shouldn’t you--?”

“I’ll be supervised. It’ll be fine. I’m loving the attention though.” He says with a playful tone as he turns around and reclines against the bed.

Yixing’s cheeks burn. That’s not what he meant.

“That’s good then.”

“I didn’t think you’d be back.”

“I didn’t either.” Yixing mutters and scratches a nail to the side of his neck.

“I’m glad you did.” Junmyeon’s smile could blind any fool and Yixing is pretty sure by now that he’s a fool. “Can I ask you to carry my bag Yixing?” He says with a kind sound voice. And the way he says Yixing’s name is quite endearing to him. The chinese of it plays softly around Junmyeon’s Korean but it’s noticeable he does an effort to pronounce it correctly. It’s cute. So Yixing obeys and makes a grab for his bag.

“Do you need help with anything else?” He asks as he slings it over his shoulder.

“You’ve done enough for me already. Thank you.” It’s the first time he’s actually thanking Yixing and it’s honest. He takes a step forward and grunts a bit and his face, although he wished it didn’t, it makes it obvious that he’s in pain.

Yixing reaches fast for him, wrapping an arm around waist and a palm pressed to his hip to keep him from supporting his weight on his bad leg.

“I have those…” Junmyeon speaks and waves a hand at what Yixing sees that are crutches. “ugly things.”

Yixing smiles involuntarily at that and steps away for a second to grab the crutches and hands them to Junmyeon.

“Ugly things that will help you.”

Junmyeon snorts and supports himself on the crutches giving a few small experimental steps. He cringes a couple times but slowly makes his way towards the door. Yixing follows cautiously behind, fairly near just in case Junmyeon might fall or stumble.

It shouldn’t take long to get to the parking lot but it does when you’re walking on crutches. Even more if you’re Kim Junmyeon. He goes directly near this Hyundai genesis he ordered his friend to buy for him, parked near the entrance and reclines against it letting a relieved sigh fall from his lips.

“Oh. Got a new one already?” Yixing wonders although he doesn’t really understand why someone that just had got into a car accident would want to be inside of one again so soon.

“One cannot work without a car.”

“Uh…but you know you can’t drive right?”

“Yes cheri…that’s why I have someone to drive me—which makes me wonder where that person is…”

“Right.”

“If said person would kindly greet me with his presence!” Junmyeon shouts. “Can you drive?” He asks Yixing when no one answers.

“No.”

“You couldn’t be perfect, could you?”

Yixing blushes. Again.

“I have to go to the pharmacy—if you’ll be alright on your own I’d be going…”

“I have too. It’s not far is it?”

“But you can barely walk.” Yixing argues.

“I’ll get there.”

“In two days maybe.”

Junmyeon’s eyebrows shoot up and he looks surprised yet amused.

“Mocking the one-legged man hum…” He says with tinge of fake hurt.

Yixing suddenly closes his lips tight shut and looks a bit disconcerted.

“No. I mean…it’s just that-”

Junmyeon laughs at his fluster and Yixing nervously smiles along.

“You’re really pretty, did you know that?” The other tells him again, out of nowhere, and it boils blood all the way up to Yixing’s neck. It’s helpless. “Especially when you smile.” Junmyeon continues almost fondly talking as if he’d known Yixing for a long while. Yixing ignores his eyes in favor of staring at the ground. “I’m going anyway so let’s go.”

“What?” Yixing’s head shoots up and he sees Junmyeon walking his way slowly in direction to the hospital’s gate. “That’s not advisable…Mr. Kim.” His voice wavers when having to call Junmyeon by his last name.

“I don’t do advisable” The other stops and turns slightly to gaze at Yixing behind him. “and for the love of god call me Junmyeon yes? Mr. Kim makes me feel old.”

“You are old.” Yixing says in a serious joke but Junmyeon’s eyes widen obviously taken aback by his witty response.

“How old do you think I am?”

“Thirty…five?” It’s a joke but it’s pretty amusing seeing Junmyeon like this. Especially that face he makes when he’s surprised, it’s pretty funny.

Yixing steps forward and meets him by his side.

“Oh lord. I have no reason to live.” The older says dejectedly.

Yixing chuckles prettily and almost childishly showcasing his dimple.

“I’m not serious. I know you’re twenty four.”

“Oh you do?” Junmyeon looks at him amusedly.  “And you’re funny as well…look at you…” He says and starts walking again. “But it doesn’t matter I’m still going.”

“So two weeks from now…I can start joining you right?”

The older stops again and looks over his shoulder with a quirked eyebrow.

“I’ve mistaken you for a warmhearted person.”

“And I’ve mistaken you for a smart person…you really can’t walk.”

“Piggyback me then.” Junmyeon suggests with a crooked smile.

Yixing blinks in surprise.

“I’m not doing that-- no.”

“Then walking it is.” Junmyeon turns away to resume his way.

“Wait! Just— ugh… can’t you wait for your chau-ffeur?” Yixing struggles with the last word.

Junmyeon releases a breathy laugh at Yixing’s choice of terms to define his friend.

“He’s obviously not here…”

“Phone him then.”

“I don’t have my phone with me.”

“Then how did he know he had to come to the hospital to get you?” Yixing demands an explanation.

“I really want to piggyback ride you.” Junmyeon says instead, immaturely and earnestly, and Yixing can tell by his smirk that he’s enjoying himself a lot more than he should for a twenty-four year old.

“You’re really stubborn.”

“So I was told, now bend.” Junmyeon hits him in the shin with his crutch while getting closer and if Yixing wasn’t metaphorically alike an obedient little pup, that his mother insists it’s politeness, he would have retorted back and refused but instead he only obeyed, crouched and pulled Junmyeon up on his back.

“Not to mention ridiculous.” He groans, unsatisfied by his succumbing to the older’s whiny demanding.

“Forward horsey.”

“Watch it.” He threatens shallowly.

It’s strange though. Everything that has happened from two days ago to now. Worse than that, probably the fact that Yixing feels comfortable with this stranger that so strongly and so suddenly stumbled upon his life. The effects of Junmyeon’s presence on him, it’s like Yixing can’t even find a reason to dislike him although he knows he could if he searched thoroughly. Junmyeon is pushy and inappropriate. But that’s the thing here, Yixing accepts liking Junmyeon no matter what he might have reserved behind that amicable smile even if what he might have buried inside is dark. And that’s just something that throws him off.

He likes the friendliness. The smile. He’s grown so unused to it that Junmyeon is like a breath of fresh air.

He doesn’t want to think about it and thanks the gods instead that the pharmacy isn’t that far or he would’ve dropped Junmyeon somewhere along the way. He’s actually heavier than he looks, or maybe Yixing is just weaker than he thought, and it was starting to pain his back and arms, not to mention how the clutches kept knocking on his legs every now and then.

He drops Junmyeon carefully on the floor and they make their way inside the empty pharmacy. Yixing lets Junmyeon collect his prescription and after he does so he asks him politely to wait outside to which Junmyeon doesn’t refute.

When Yixing reaches the counter he gives his mother’s folded prescription sheet to the scrawny young lady behind the counter and after a bit she frowns and Yixing can only feel his hopes dying right there.

“I’m afraid your insurance has expired sir.” She says.

Yixing feels all the air leaving his lungs.

“I don’t…have…I have no…” Money. He sends a hopeless glance at her and she looks apologetic.

“I’m sorry sir…there’s nothing I can do.” She says pressing her fine lips together and Yixing almost wants to beg, to plead, for her to let it slip just this time. Just this time. He’s too proud to though and he knows she won’t so he recoils and collects the prescription back.

“I’ll…” He swallows dry and does his best not to let his head fall. “I’ll comeback…”

Junmyeon is still there when he turns around as he obviously didn’t obeyed Yixing’s sole and simple request and his face shows that he heard what had just happened. Yixing wished he hadn’t. Wished he wasn’t there. He passes by him and through the door without waiting and with fast steps he tries to escape but Junmyeon is unfortunately and surprisingly faster if he actually puts effort into it and he’s quick to reach Yixing again.

“Is everything alright?” He asks.

“Yeah all is fine.” Yixing mumbles out and continues walking in hopes Junmyeon will grow tired and leave him.

“Look…I can lend you money…” Junmyeon talks from behind him.

“I don’t want it.” Yixing answers not meaning to sound too harsh and tries to walk faster but Junmyeon manages to grab his arm.

“I’m serious.”

Yixing turns to face Junmyeon.

““Thank you, but no…I couldn’t pay you back.”

“There’s no need. I give it to you.” The other insists.

“No…” Yixing says convict of himself. “…besides even if that solves my problem now I’ll still have to pay next month and the month after that.” He sighs and rubs at his neck and hair, disheveling his pony tail just slightly. He feels a heavy lump forming in his throat.

“I see…I still want to help you though.”

“Why?”

“Because you helped me.”

“I didn’t do much...your car did more for you than I did.”

“Still…”

“I’ll figure it out on my own Junmyeon. Thank you.” Yixing turns around to walk away again when Junmyeon speaks.

“Wait…” Yixing stops on accord. “I really didn’t want to suggest this but…you seem desperate.” Junmyeon talks carefully and it makes Yixing look at him in question. “You need a job then…right?”

“Ye-yes.” Yixing answers a bit hesitant.

“I can offer you one. But I want you to-”

“Yes.” He’s too quick to answer, always, without thinking ahead.

“But wait Yixing…I haven’t even told you what it is that I do.”

“Doesn’t matter.”

“I think it does. It can make you change your mind.” Junmyeon says and for a second it scares Yixing. He sends the older a glance and a softly quirked eyebrow. Junmyeon sighs and moves around with his clutches because they’re starting to hurt him. “I run an agency.”

Yixing blinks. Once and twice.

“Oh.” Oh.

“You’d be working as an .”

“I--”

“You don’t have to answer now. I’ll give you time to think about it.” Junmyeon says with a soft smile and then there’s a honk from behind him, the white Hyundai coming to a stop right next to them near the sidewalk.

“Took you long enough.” Junmyeon says when a guy, whom merely rolls his eyes at the comment, comes out of the car. “Here’s my card.” Junmyeon reaches inside his jacket’s pocket doing his best to balance himself on his good leg and hands Yixing a small white paper card with merely a phone number and Kim Junmyeon in computer font and nothing else. Yixing takes it and looks up at Junmyeon after scanning it. The other smiles just as nicely as usual but Yixing doesn’t reattribute it. There’s a rumble of thoughts mashing inside his brain. “Call me when you’ve made your decision.” Junmyeon says and he opens the car’s door to slide inside. The other guy does the same and starts the engine to take off.

There’s a nice roar to it and Yixing thinks about the possibilities as it drives away.

The once clear and blue summer sky is now shaded grey and the morning giving noon its place.

Money is the main and only subject of Yixing’s life for now so that’s what his mind is set on.

He tries not to think too hard about what Junmyeon had just told him. He was never one to judge but isn’t it inevitable sometimes? Yixing doesn’t really rely on first appearances but this is by far the last thing he was expecting. That is if he was expecting anything at all, he’s not really sure. He tries hard to see past it but fails. His dignity is on the line too, now. He can’t shake off the feeling that he’s hitting the hard rock bottom.

He reasons all the way back home, gripping tightly onto his mother’s prescription, knowing that there’s really little he can do. It’s a job like any else even if he used to believe it wasn’t until now. (Nevertheless he’s trying to convince his brain of such.)

Sacrifice his inexistent dignity or pay the bills. It resumes to a decision as simple as that.

His mother looks as sad as she ever did when he reaches home and the moment he gets there she expectantly asks if he managed to purchase the pills and he tells her the truth about the insurance. She cries, even if futilely trying to cover it up, and that does it. That answers the question for him.

There’s really little he can do and his pride isn’t the priority here.

 


huum..yeah...that lol