Chapter 5

Here and Now
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Yoona peers over Luhan’s shoulder at the young male in the bloody school uniform. She looks onto the nametag on his shirt.

Baekhyun

This boy looks so young. At this point, she is very curious of his story. How could this young man die at such an early age? And judging by his attire, his death was brutal.

Byun Baekhyun blends in with his surrounding quite perfectly. His stoned, cold face matches the dark four walls of the classroom. Strong wind blows through the gaps of the open windows as moonlight illuminates the only light into the classroom, but neither Luhan nor Baekhyun break their intense glare.

One would run at the immediate sight of Byun Baekhyun. But Yoona studies his face closely, she cannot help but notice the trembling eyes Baekhyun has, she is very certain that those pair of brown orbs hold a sad story behind it. The contrast of his terrified stare, his face was fierce; it makes her wonder if he truly is hiding something, or perhaps; protecting something. Yoona makes a footnote to that.

Baekhyun shifts his gaze to the young woman behind the strange man in front of him. He seems to be very protective of her; Baekhyun notices how he holds the girl’s hand. He does not merely hold it around her wrist like another typical protector would, instead he interlaces them together. Their hands are tucked together like vines, naturally holding onto one another.

“I know why you guys are here.” Baekhyun breaks the silence, “You’re not the first ones to try and get my sorry out of here. Honestly, do I really look pitiful? Or is that how you always look us as?”

“Good then, we don’t have much work to do.” Luhan replies shortly. He does not expect Baekhyun to react that way; that rude.

Baekhyun scoffs “Don’t be so cocky.”

Luhan has always been the type to keep his temper steady but he feels like time is ticking extra slow that it irritates him. Byun Baekhyun ticks him off.

“Luhan, wait.” Yoona places her hand onto his shoulder, “He’s just… very sensitive.”

“How would you know that?”

“I just know that.”

“Yea, but how?”

“I just do. It’s called trust.”

“That doesn’t answer my question.”

“Now, you’re sensitive.” Yoona loosen her grip and finally breaks their hands, “I just know. Okay?”

Luhan massages his throbbing temple, what exactly is going on?

He eyes Yoona warily, “Okay, let’s say that you’re right-”

“I am right.” Yoona prompts.

“Okay, fine! You’re right. So what? He needs to grow up.”

“But we need to understand. We can’t force him to do something he doesn’t want to do, at least compromise so both parties are satisfied.” Yoona rebuts.

Baekhyun stares the two and thinks that they are far different from the previous soul seekers. They are not as obnoxious as the others. He remembers the other soul seekers from before, damn they were so pushy. He said inwardly. It is almost awkward to say a word when the two are rather bickering. He nods briefly, oh so they are one of those couples, what a mood killer.

“Hey,” Baekhyun half yells, after he gets their attention, he continues, “look, sorry okay. It’s not that I don’t wanna leave. I can’t leave now. Not yet.” Baekhyun is glad that he breaks the two’s discussion.

“Why not?” Luhan asks, “You’re not gonna do anything stupid are you?”

“No, I don’t think it’s stupid. It’s called common curtsy, my way of it –I guess that’s one way of putting it.”

“So you are delaying just so you can be polite?” Yoona nudges Luhan’s ribs for his sarcasm remark, giving a glare that says, “Why are so rude?”

“Yea, it’s a win-win situation. As soon as I’m done, I’ll go with you. I promise –as I did to a certain person.”

 After exchanging glances and nods, Baekhyun, Luhan and Yoona agree.

“Baekhyun-sshi, if you don’t mind. Can I ask you something?” Yoona asks. Baekhyun tilts his head to the side and nods after a brief pause.

“How did you die?”

 

 

“I am… here… to… um –right, err, come and join the–” Baekhyun closed his eyes as water began to flow down his face and more down his school uniform. Oh god, this is so embarrassing. He thought.

He looked up to see a group of students; laughing and clapping their hands as they too looked down to him. Well, that was it. Baekhyun knew that they were responsible. Who else could it be?

Who else would be bold enough to throw a bucket of water from the third floor to on top of Byun Baekhyun’s head?

Park Yukwon thought he was the big man. The king who ruled the school. The leader. But no, Baekhyun did not think so.

Byun Baekhyun sighed, shaking the droplets of water from his head. No more questions, it was official. He read his watch and declared; 9.36 in the morning of April 12th, was the day he gave up trying. He hated the unofficial law of high school life, he hated that everybody was so caught up with social status and how they were ranked.

Who cares how many girls they banged? Who cares how many guys they did it with? Who cares who can play what in this place? It’s gonna be four years and then we’ll be gone for sure, that is if they even try hard to be successful.

He believed that he would be very successful in the future. He and his brother would be extremely famous singers. That would kick the Kingka in the face.

At first yes, Baekhyun did try bending himself into the rules of the so called Law of high school. But he had crossed some boundaries which caused him to serve the punishment for the rest of his high school life, which felt like eternity.

 When the Kingka announced that Byun Baekhyun was to be isolated, people moved and obeyed his commands. Pathetic.

 It was as if everybody in the school were listening to him. It was like he was the king and they were his subjects, no wait, his minions, slaves, yes slaves. Baekhyun thought.

“Baekhyun-ah, why are you –I was gonna say wet, but that would come out wrong, so I’m gonna go with –drenched?” Baekbeom threw a towel he pulled out from his bag and on top of his brother’s head.

Baekhyun was glad to at least have his twin brother by his side. Byun Baekbeom was the only student body who was brave enough to step up and actually talk to Baekhyun. Then again, Baekbeom was the type to rebel against the whole messed up system.

“They are just douchebags, who can’t even pass their classes, you are better than them, Baek.”

“Thanks Baek.”

The brothers shared the same warm smile before the two went and proceed to their class. “So what were you doing out there?” Baekbeom asked his brother as Baekhyun pulled out textbooks and put them into his bag.

“I was helping Miss Hwang, she told me to spread the news about the upcoming charity carnival. So I was giving out flyers to everyone.”

Baekhyun avoided his brother’s stare after his explanation to him. He knew what Baekbeom was about to say and he didnt have the time to listen to it again. That was just an excuse, more like, he did not want to.

“Baek-”

“I know what you’re trying to say, hyung.”

“Oh really?” Baekbeom challenged. Seeing his brother nodded in confidence, he gestured his hand to let him continue.

“You were gonna say that, even though you’re not into the whole system, doing what I did wasn’t smart.”

“So you do know.”

“Yes, I do. But I can’t just let Yukwon control my life like this. I have to let the braces go. I cannot and will not be h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter