He's Better Than You Kelsey's POV

Trapped With the Memories of You

It had been a week since Henry had told me about the audition and next week he would be off to China to audition. Nothing still had happened between us and I would be lying if I said I wasn’t disappointed. It was just the little expressions that Henry made that always made me think that he might have liked me. He always looked me in the eyes when he talked to me, he would always listen to what I had to say no matter what the subject, and I could not deny that the boy smiled a lot when he was around me, but then again I blushed like a mad women every time he gave me a slight compliment. Ugh! This was all getting just too confusing, I wanted to just go up to him, look him right in the eyes and say “Henry, do you like me?” But of course I would never have the guts to do that.

I looked at my clock and realized that I had been yet again stuck in my thoughts of Henry that I had lost track of time. It was 6:55am. I only had 20 minutes to get to school. I ran downstairs and started the fifteen minute walk to that hell hole. While I was walking my thoughts again drifted back to Henry. He wouldn’t be in school this week as he had to practice for the audition. I knew it was going to be a long week. When I finally got to school, I was a couple minutes late to my first class, but I sat down quietly in my seat and ignored the stares I was given. Yes people, the Asian was late to math class. The day drifted by slowly after that and when I finally got to my last class of the day, chemistry is when the day finally got interesting.

As I walked into the classroom and took my seat I felt everyone’s eyes on me. ‘Wow, I must be really popular today’ I thought sarcastically to myself. As I was taking out my chemistry book from my backpack, Kim came up to me and stood right in front of my table with a smirk on her face. I was actually kind of shocked because since the day Henry yelled at her she had avoided me like the plague.

“So where’s your boyfriend?” She asked

“Well considering I don’t have a boyfriend, I really wouldn’t know.” I replied coldly.

“Oh okay then not your boyfriend. Where’s Henry?”

“How would I know” Obviously I knew but I didn’t want her to know.

“Alright then let’s get one thing clear here between me and you.” I stayed quiet and she took it as a sign to continue “I don’t know what you did to that hottie to make him hang around with someone like you, but if you do like him, I’m telling you right now that you might as well give up. No guy has ever told me no” she paused, “Well that’s probably obvious, I am gorgeous. But anyway back to the point. Leave Henry alone because he’s not yours, he’s mine, got it?” This girl had got to be kidding. Like hell I was ever going to let that happen. I stood up facing her and just let it all out.

“Okay well that was a pretty little speech Kim, but how about you get this into your big head, and try to retain this information please. Henry is not yours. Henry will never be yours. Henry doesn’t like me like that so you can calm yourself down on that one. Henry will never like you mainly for the fact that you are a straight up . You have this imaginary crown on your head and you walk around like you’re the queen. Newsflash you’re not! We live in Melbrook! Do you not realize how small this town is?! It’s ridiculous how much you idolize yourself, and I will never let Henry be with you because I think it’s pretty damn obvious that he deserves better.” By the time I was done with that little rant everyone in class was looking at me eyes wide, mouths hanging open, including Mr., Hargraves. Kim looked like someone had just slapped her, and I had to admit that I was more than just a little pleased with myself.

“Okay, okay settle down class, settle down. Kim please return to your seat, we have a day full of notes to take and we can’t fall behind now can we.” Kim didn’t even look at me again as she returned to her seat.  

The day went by quickly after that, and so did the rest of the week. There were no more outrageous breakouts by Kim, and the days started passing by boringly again, just as they had done before Henry came.

It was Saturday afternoon when I received the call from Henry.

“Hey Henry, What’s up?”

“Hey Kelsey,” he said, “Um, I don’t know if you want to do this, but do you want to come to the airport with me tomorrow to see me off? My plane leaves at 3:00pm so my mom is insisting that I make it there by 12:30pm? Do you want to come?” Honestly, I’m glad he asked. I wanted to go to the airport with him to wish him luck and say goodbye, but I didn’t want to just invite myself.

“Oh yeah, sure.” I replied.

“Okay, Well I’ll see you tomorrow. Try to make it to my house by 12:00 since the airport is only twenty minutes away. Or do you want me to pick you up instead?”

“Haha no it’s okay Henry, I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“Okay great. I gotta go finish packing so I’ll see you then.”

“Mhmm bye Henry”

“Later Kels!”

I sat there for a while just wondering about Henry and how his audition would go. I wanted to know if he felt the same way about me that I did about him. I wanted to know what would happen to us if he ended up passing the audition, but more than anything else, I wanted to if we would ever be anything more than friends.