My Unrequited Love

Trapped With the Memories of You

Henry’s POV

“That’s a wrap.” After hours of rehearsing the choreography for ‘Trap’ the instructor finally told me I could leave for the day, and thank goodness he did. One more jump or glide and I would have been passed out on the floor. I bowed thanking him and then left the practice room. I decided I would wait to go home to take a shower.

Walking out of the SM building, I chose to take the side door. I was just too tired to deal with fans today. Once I was sure I was safe, I walked happily on the streets taking in the cool breeze that Seoul had to offer that night.

RINGGG!!! RINGGG!!! RING!!!” The noise disrupted my peaceful thoughts and I looked around for the source. It didn’t seem to be anyone’s cellphone because everyone around me seemed to ignore the noise. I looked around and noticed that the sound was coming from a cellphone lying near a bush.

Without thinking about it I answered.

“Hello?”

“Hello? Uhm who is this?” The voice on the other end was a girl.

“Uhm excuse me, but you called me.” The nerve of some people.

“Listen buddy, I didn’t call you. I called Kelsey so who are you?” Kelsey?

“Wh-What did you just say?”

“Who is this?” The girl asked again.

“This is Henry Lau. Are you talking about Kelsey Lee?”

“Oh My GOSHHHHH! Henry I’m such a huge fan!!!” I had to pull the phone away at her shrieking. After a while she calmed down. “I can’t believe Kelsey actually found you!”

“Wait! Excuse me.” My mind was going a mile a minute now, “What do you mean find me? I just found her phone lying on the floor. Slow down and can you please explain to me what’s going on?”

“Uhm well, okay, so Kelsey was going through this really weird phase and she dated a guy named Jake to try to get over you, and I told her multiple times that that wouldn’t work, but you know that girl hardly ever listens to me. Getting to the point…. I showed her your songs ‘Trap’ and ‘I would’ and she had this revelation that maybe you still loved her the way she loved you, so without a second thought she booked a plane ticket to Korea to come and find you.”

“So you’re saying she’s in Korea now?”

“Well… yeah, considering you have her phone. But wait… that doesn’t make any sense, why would you have her phone? I called her about a few hours ago and the line went dead, but I thought that was because of poor signal or something.” Kelsey was here? In Korea? She came to find me? But where was she? Before I had a chance to think of any of these things I decided I would go to get help. The police might be able to do something about this.

I hung up the phone call with the girl on the other end without answering her and usually I would have felt bad for something like this, but I wasn’t exactly thinking clearly at the moment. The shortest way to the police station would be through the alley next to the building. Then I would only have to go about one more mile before reaching the station.

I began running as fast as I could and I quickly made it to the alley. Halfway through I noticed a steel metal pipe sitting next to an almost completely closed door. Usually I would have ignored this, but the pipe was covered with an almost completely dry, deep red liquid. I didn’t know why but something told me to open the door despite all the danger I could possibly be putting myself into.

At first, I couldn’t really see anything, but as the light quickly filled up the room, I saw a frail body lying extremely still on the concrete ground. A pool of blood surrounded the head. Long, straight black hair was going in every direction as what I believe was a girl’s body laid lifeless. I walked in slowly and kneeled down to check if she was breathing. It was an extremely faint sound, so I turned her head to face me to make sure I wasn’t imagining it.

My mind went blank at the sight in front of me. This girl with her head bleeding from the side and her pale face looked so much like Kelsey. My Kelsey. I just stared blankly at the face of the girl I loved so much, she wasn’t moving, and her breath was as faint as a whisper. A small whimper escaped her lips and that was all I needed to snap out of my shocked state.

“Kelsey? Kelsey? Can you hear me? I’m going to get you some help, okay?” She didn’t give any sign of understanding and I knew I was losing precious time. I pulled out my phone and called the number for the paramedics.

“Please state your emergency.” The operator said.

“Yes, I’m with a girl right now who I believe was attacked. Her head is covered in blood and I need help quick. She doesn’t seem to be able to talk or move. You need to send someone her immediately!”

“Sir, please calm down and give me a location.”

“Near the alley of the main SM entertainment building. If you’re on the main street you can see it. In the alley there’s a door that’s open. We’re in here.”

“Paramedics have been dispatched and are on their way.” I hung up the phone and sat Kelsey up against me.

“Why did you have to come now?” I asked her quietly. “Why did you have to get yourself hurt?” I brushed her hair away from her face and I noticed the blood was still wet. After looking at it further I noticed she was still bleeding. I carefully took off my shirt while still supporting her and wrapped it around her head, hoping that the pressure would stop the bleeding.

 A few minutes later the paramedics arrived and quickly rushed to the process of picking Kelsey up off the ground and ran to the ambulance. By now a crowd had formed and when paparazzi saw me come out of the door, their cameras quickly flashed. I ignored the questions and climbed into the ambulance after them.

***********

*4 Hours Later*

How much longer? How much longer do I have to wait in this empty waiting room before someone gives me some news? Immediately when she was brought in the doctors took her in to stitch her head. Who could have done something like this?

A doctor stepped out and I waited anxiously as he walked toward me.

“Well I have good news and bad news. Which would you like to hear first?”

“Give me the bad news please.” I braced myself and waited for all the possibilities.

“She’s been unresponsive to our attempts on waking her up and the hit to her head caused a very serious concussion. Because she couldn’t wake up, she’s slipped into a coma.” I hung my head in my hands. How could there possibly be good news after hearing this? “The good news is miraculously she doesn’t seem to have any brain damage and even though she lost a lot of blood, a blood transfusion will be able to fix everything.” He put his hand on my shoulder. “I think you saved her life.”

“What do you mean by that?” I asked.

“Her pulse was very faint and like I said she lost a lot of blood. About another hour and we could have lost her.” He left me to let what he just said sink in. Another hour and we would have lost her? His words replayed in my mind over and over again until my phone rang and pulled me out of my thoughts.

“Hello?”

“Henry, where the hell are you?” Zhoumi’s worried voice asked through the phone.

“Hospital.”

“What? Why?!”

“It’s a long story. Look don’t worry I’m fine, but I won’t be coming home tonight. Don’t wait up.” I shut the phone and leaned my head back against the wall. I still can’t believe this is happening. Two years without seeing her and this is how we meet again? It just didn’t seem right.

*2 Weeks Later*

She lay there just as still as the day she entered. There were still no signs of her waking up, but I was nowhere near giving up hope. I reached out and grabbed her hand, “C’mon Kelsey, you have to wake up okay? I have so much to tell you. I need to be able to tell you how much I love you again. The doctor said that even though you’re in a coma you can hear the sounds and what people say. Can you hear me Kelsey? Can you hear me sweetie?” I hadn’t left the hospital since the day she entered and the company told the media that due to the worry of having such a close friend in the hospital, I wouldn’t be able to fully focus on my music, and they asked for some time and understanding from my fans.

The door opened and Zhoumi stepped in. He always brought me my lunches and food because I wouldn’t leave Kelsey’s side. When she woke up I wanted to be the first face she saw.

“Here,” He handed me a plastic bag with a takeout container.

“Thanks.”

“Has she shown any improvement?”

“No, not yet.” He let out a sigh and ruffled his hair.

“Henry, don’t you think you should come back and do the music shows? You’re album was a complete flop because you didn’t promote.”

“Do you actually think I care about that right now?”

“Fine, alright. I have to get back but call me if you need anything.” He left the room and it was silent again, the only noise coming from the steady beep of the heart monitor.

*1 Month Later*

“No, no, I’m sorry Mrs. Lee. She hasn’t made any progress yet. Yes, she’s still the same. I’ll call you when something changes.” I hung up the telephone with Kelsey’s mother and shrunk back in my seat for what seemed to the hundredth time today. “Kelsey please wake up soon.” I closed my eyes and let the steady beeping fill my ears, calming me down, and eventually causing me to fall asleep.

I heard a groan and shook my head thinking that it was me, but then it came again. My eyes snapped open and immediately landed on Kelsey whose eyes were just barely open.

“Kelsey? Kelsey!” She turned her head slowly in my direction and a flash of recognition crossed her eyes. Was she really finally awake? She opened up to talk but no words would come out.  “No, no, don’t say anything. I’ll get a doctor.” I ran out of the room and out to the hospital hallway like a madman. “I need a doctor in room 417. Kelsey’s awake!” All the nurses looked at me and one of them ran into the room. I followed her and a doctor came after us shortly.

“How long has she been awake?”

“Just now.”

“Alright, we need to check her vital signs so please exit them room. We’ll call you in when we’re done.” I wanted to protest but because I didn’t want to cause trouble I quietly left the room.

*****

After what seemed like a lifetime the doctors finally came out and told me I could go in. I took a deep breath and stepped into the room. Now Kelsey was sitting up in the hospital bed with her hands in her lap.

“Hey, Kels.” I said to her, calling her by her old nickname. She looked up at me.

“H- Hi, Henry.” Her voice was extremely quiet just barely above a whisper, but that may have been because she hasn’t talked in a while.

“How are you feeling?”

“Tired and a little dizzy, but other than that, I feel fine.” I sat on the chair next to her bed.

“You came back for me?” She looked away from me and then tears filled her eyes. She nodded her head.

“I’m sorry about what I told you when you first left, Henry, it’s just that I couldn’t let you give up your dream for me.”

“I don’t blame you, Kelsey, but why did you come back for me?”

“I was an idiot for not telling you sooner Henry, but I love you. I don’t know why or how or even if I’m right about this, but somehow I felt that through listening to your music that you still loved me? If not that than maybe cared about me? Just a little?”

“What about Jake?” She looked at me, shocked that I knew, but then just shook her head,

“I tried to date him to get over you and obviously since I’m here, that failed miserably.”

“Well you’re right.”

“What do you mean?”

“You’re right about me loving you, Kelsey. You don’t know how hard I tried to get over you. Every time I thought I would be making progress a memory of you would come into my head and I’d be stuck there, remembering how amazing you are. It actually seems pretty impossible for something like this to happen, but since we’ve already done some pretty unusual things, how about we actually try this out? You and I as a couple. What do you say?” She nodded her head at me and I think that was the first time things actually felt right. The girl I thought I would never be able to have, my unrequited love, loved me.

****************************

*Begins playing extremely sad, dramatic music. Grabs tissue box, and cries under covers.* It's over guys TT^TT Trapped With the Memories of You is actually finished and thus ends my first ever fanfic. 

I promised you an update earlier today & it's actually 1:19AM right now. The reason I didnt update earlier is because this is actually my third attempt at writing this chapter. The first time I wrote it it was extremely sad. I shall tell you what happened. Kelsey wasn't supposed to wake up from her coma, like ever, yes it's true Kelsey was initially meant to die in the first write, but I saved her life. Do you know why? Because i'm a er for happy endings.

In the second write it was too happy and I think even fairies would have died at how cliche it was so... i didnt do that either because i don't like too much fluff.

Third times the charm I guess?

I really hope you guys liked this final chapter. I don't know if it was what you expected. Of course I hope it was better than your expectations and not worse (/~\) 

MY FIRST STORY IS OVER T^T I actually can't believe this.

Thank you to all the people who supported this story from the beginning and thank you to all the people who supported it mid-way and thank you to all the new readers too.

Thanks to my subscribers @vcjqshinee @nikiixcandy @chin555 @luvingkpop @Aranel @fatyBD @issah95 @merlinlee @Osnaptizkyu You guys are the best ♥

Thanks to all my commenters and viewers. I love you all \(^_^)/ Saranghae♥