Angels and Elves

Midnight Fantasies

 ~

It was only seven in the morning. Ari doesn't wake Donghae up that early and with the tears that brimmed the little boy's eyes there was clearly something wrong. Donghae sighed and pushed the blue orb off his forehead and quickly slid it under his blankets before Ari saw it. It was bad enough that Ari was able to see it in the first place.

"Why are you crying?" he asked the little boy as he got out of bed and walked up to boy standing by the door. He had shut the door and was staring up at Donghae with big eyes that twinkled with tears. Donghae suddenly got nervous, he didn't know what to do when someone was crying. Usually when they cried they were angry at Donghae and would end up screaming and throwing things. All of a sudden Ari grabbed Donghae's wife beater and wiped his tears on them. Donghae awkwardly patted his head and grimaced a bit when he saw how wet his shirt just got.

"Dad's in the hospital." tears streaked Ari's face again. Donghae's jaw tightened as he tried to block out any emotions of worry. It would only hurt himself more if he began caring over his family. "He got into a car accident on his way home last night. We just got notified this morning." 

"He'll be alright." Donghae tried to reassure Ari. The boy nodded and looked up at Donghae with those big eyes again.

"Do you really think so?" Donghae nodded and lead Ari out of his room. Mrs. Lee was already up and making food. There wasn't any breakfast on the table but there were boxes filled with food. Kairi was standing in front of the bentos stacking them up and putting them in a bag.

"Ah, Donghae-ah you woke up! Good, we're leaving to the hospital in ten minutes. When you're done could you help me get the kimbap into the car? We're heading to Seoul and it'll be a long drive. Also take what you need we just might be staying the night." Mrs. Lee explained in a rush. Donghae nodded and headed back upstairs to get ready. 

After changing out of his pajamas, Donghae debated whether he should bring his bookbag. It contained all of his belongings. Even though they had a possibility of staying the night, he didn't want to risk anything. What if the family had decided to abandon him like his previous adoption family? What if they were using an excuse to send him back to the orphanage? What if he becomes too much of a bother at a time like this and they can't afford enough effort to keep him? The possibilities ran through Donghae's head making the boy groan and slip the book bag on after stuffing the blue orb inside it. He quickly rushed back downstairs. Kairi and Ari were nowhere in sight. They were probably in the car already.

"Donghae help me carry these to the car." Mrs. Lee said quickly, beckoning Donghae over. Donghae nodded and took the bags filled with food before heading out to the car. Kairi and Ari were already sitting in the backseat. One to each window seat. After loading the food into the trunk and throwing his bookbag in there too, Donghae crawled into the back taking the middle seat. Soon, Mrs. Lee had already taken off on the road and they were headed towards Seoul. The ride was quiet except for a few sniffs from Ari. Kairi was right, she did act older. Not a single tear dripped from her eyes but Donghae could tell that she was pretty upset the way she would stare out the window.

"Mom, do you think Dad will be awake when we're there?" Ari suddenly asked breaking the silence.

"He may be sleeping so don't wake him up when we get there."

"But what if he's not sleeping or b-breathing." Suddenly Kairi whipped around and smacked Ari's arm with a furious expression. The action surprised both Ari and Donghae. Who knew she would suddenly do that? Ari broke out in tears again as he hugged his slightly red arm.

"How could you say that? Nothing bad will ever happen to Dad!" she hissed and crossed her arms before staring back out the window. Donghae's eyebrow twitched at that. For an eight year old she had quite a temper. He couldn't blame her though, it seemed like she was taking it just as badly as Ari was.

"Kids, your father is perfectly fine. He only broke his leg. Now, please be calm like Donghae." Mrs. Lee heaved a sigh. Donghae could tell she wasn't exactly calm too. Instantly he felt bad that he wasn't worrying at all. He brushed the feeling aside and just settled down for the ride. It was going to be a while until they get there.

~***~

Mr. Lee was completely fine, the doctor had reassured everyone. Ari still wouldn't stop sniffling. Kairi on the other hand had loosened up and everyone was having a little family reunion in hospital room 489, that is everyone but Donghae. The boy stood outside of the room leaning against the wall with his headphones on. He had rescued his friend from the bookbag and it was currently nestled in the curve of his shoulder. From time to time it would ram itself against Donghae's neck trying to show how mad it was about being tossed around like that.

"Stop." he grumbled when it distracted Donghae from the beat of his song. He stuffed his hands in his pockets and peeked inside the hospital room. Everyone was smiling and laughing and having a good time. Mr. Lee would give the kids hugs and kisses while Ari and Kairi signed his cast. They ate the breakfast and everything was perfect. It was somewhere Donghae didn't belong. He should've seen it coming earlier. He wasn't needed in this family with it being so perfect already. Donghae picked up his bookbag from the floor ready to just walk away from everything. He had everything in his bookbag and it wouldn't be that hard to survive.

"Where's Donghae? Is the kid alright?" Donghae stopped after hearing Mr. Lee ask. Ready to dash down the hallways before he could be seen he quickly pushed his bookbag on but it was too late. Kairi popped up in front of Donghae with her arms crossed and a pout on her face. Donghae tried to move around her but she blocked him making her pony tail sway with her.

"Why wouldn't you come in, you were in the bathroom longer than necessary." she scolded. Donghae had no words and just stared at her. She stared back. A blush began to rise on her cheeks and she quickly shook her head before grabbing Donghae's hand and pulling him inside.

"Donghae there you are! We were worried." Mrs. Lee cried and beckoning him over to take a seat at the table for breakfast even though it was a bit late for that. 

You didn't show it, Donghae thought to himself and sat down. They talked and they edged Donghae to eat. Mrs. Lee started nagging about how skinny he was and needing to gain some weight and Mr. Lee wouldn't stop asking questions and reassuring the snifflinf Ari. By the afternoon Mr. Lee had fallen asleep and Mrs. Lee took Kairi out to buy some more food for dinner and some items needed for staying the night. No one else would be able to drive Mr. Lee home anyways.

"Donghae hyung." Ari murmured with his head resting on the bed where Mr. Lee slept. Donghae lifted his head as a sign he was listening. He was sitting in a chair next to Ari pretending to listen to music so he could avoid talk. But it seemed like he didn't mind talking to Ari.

"That blue orb of yours...what's its name?" Donghae immediately tensed up. He didn't like this topic. It bothered him that Ari was able to see things that he thought no one else could see.

"I don't have a blue orb." Donghae lied. Ari narrowed his eyes and nodded towards Donghae's shoulder. Donghae quickly looked and saw the orb bobbing up and down. He quickly snatched it into his hands and tried to, unsuccessfully, act normal.

"Can I give it a name?" Ari asked with a smile. Donghae just blinked debating whether he should just admit that Ari could see his friend and was perfectly fine with it.

"I want to name it ChonChon, short for Cheonsa, angel." that only made Donghae tense again since it reminded him of Eunhyuk. No way could this kid know everything.

"Why angel? It looks nothing like an angel." 

"Because, maybe if I had an angel by my side then Dad's leg would get better and no one in our family would get hurt again." Ari said innocently as ChonChon glided over to his shoulder and nuzzled against his cheek. The boy giggled before lightly tapping the orb with his finger. Donghae sighed a little. Maybe what Ari said was true. A guardian angel that could heal wounds and protect humans from any harm in their life. "I have to watch over you always." the familiar voice flashed in Donghae's mind. "Don't you trust me?" Donghae shook his head trying to get rid of the voice. Why was he thinking about that angel? It frustrated him.

"Ari, go to sleep. And please don't tell anyone about ChonChon." Donghae sighed as the blue orb buried itself into the blankets.

"Then it's our secret!" the boy grinned happily before the orb that was supposedly supposed to watch over Mr. Lee.

~  ☪ ~

The floating piece of the palace building was bare of plants when Donghae woke up. He clearly remembered Shisus sitting on a throne at the coffee table with unknown plants surrounding him. Now it was just a piece of marble floating in the center of the palace. Pentagon stones led to the front and the back of the palace from there and to the east and west wings.

"Yah, what took you so long to fall asleep?" that annoying voice stabbed Donghae's ears when he was observing his surroundings. Whipping around he faced Eunhyuk with his usual black clothes on.

"Let's go, I want to get to the Death Mountains as soon as possible. It's tiring having to come here every night." Donghae groaned completely ignoring Eunhyuk's question. He walked towards the pentagon stones that still floated in the air making a path to the platform leading to the front door. He glanced at the stones and peered below them only to flinch back. Donghae now knew there was only glass beneath him but it still scared him to look downwards.

"You are such a baby." Eunhyuk snapped and grabbed Donghae's hand before leading him back across the stones. Donghae looked away from the blonde trying not to seem too grateful to have him there. He would've never been able to cross without freaking out with each step he takes. But it still ticked him off the way Eunhyuk talked to him. 

"Do you know where we're going at all?" Donghae asked once they had descended from heaven. The angel ignored him as he sent the cloud back after dropping them off on land. They were standing in a flat field full of grass. Ahead there was a large gate that surrounded what seemed like a village.

"We have to stop by Phire to pick up a few things. I looked over the map Shisus gave us and the road won't be a smooth one. We'll need horses and food. You need some charms and a sword or any form of weaponry. Also, you need a disguise." the blonde smirked and walked off towards the village. Donghae blinked a couple of times. He didn't understand half of what came out of Eunhyuk's mouth but he ran after the angel anyways hoping he would find out what it meant.

~***~

The village of Phire was actually quite crowded with people. Not people in particular, but elves. Donghae couldn't believe his eyes when he saw that the man handing them two brown horses had pointy ears. Santa Clauss and his elves weren't actually real, at least Donghae didn't believe it to be real. But he saw elves everywhere and these elves weren't short either. They looked like normal people, just probably dressed a bit odd, but had pointy ears.

"It's impolite to stare." Eunhyuk hissed through the corner of his mouth as they walked down the street to buy the so called charms. Donghae was turning around in circles and whenever an elf walked past him he would stare at their ears.

"But their ears!"

"I know they're pointy and pretty and you've never seen something like that on Earth amongst you humans. It's all so magical and surreal you just can't believe your eyes!" Eunhyuk teased in a high-pitched voice and earned a glare from Donghae. "Just stop, you're attracting attention. You are a human after all and before we get your disguise don't do anything stupid." The sixteen year old simply stuck his lips out in a pout and refrained from looking at anyone for too long.

The streets were filled with elves. The streets were made of stones, not marble like the pentagon-filled palace, but it still felt equally magical. The buildings there were at most three-stories high and resembled Danish architecture. They seemed cute like they would pop out of a fairy tale. It was exactly how Donghae felt right now, that he was living a fairy tale. Finally they brought their horses to a stop in front of a little shop called Witch's Lair. It was rather tiny being squished between two other shops and was nestled on a street corner. The windows were decorated wtih black ornaments that Donghae has never seen before. The both of them catiously walked into the shop causing the door to chime with a ding that echoed through the shop. Everything was silent. Eunhyuk and Donghae exchanged looks.

"Welcome!" a voice popped out and a tall, slender woman sauntered out. Her dark purple hair seemed like the only color in the place and she wore a black cloak similar to Eunhyuk's but it was decorated with purple feathers. Donghae eyed her ears wondering if she was an elf but they seemed normal. The woman grinned and clasped her hands together showing off her long black nails.

"I am Madame Rina, how may I help you today?" she greeted and trailed a long finger nail under Eunhyuk's chin making the angel grimace a little.

"We would like to buy some charms and get this boy a disguise." Eunhyuk gulped when the nail was joined by four others and gently grazed across his neck.

"Sure thing, let's get you some charms first. What kind of magic are you looking for?" she grinned and beckoned the two over to the dusty wooden counter. She heaved up a large black box and snapped her fingers causing a ball of fire to spring out and hover in the air for light. In the box were slips of paper and each one said something different.

"Anything really." Eunhyuk shrugged as Donghae took out a few pieces of paper to read. The one in his hand read 'Fly.' He showed it to Eunhyuk and snickered knowing it would get on his nerves. The angel was always upset when the talk of wings and flying was involved.

"Fly." Donghae read outloud hoping it would make him fly like the so-called charms are supposed to do. His body remained on the ground, his feet sturdily keeping him standing.

"You're an odd one. Most know how to use charms, it's the most simple stage of magic." Madame Rina leaned over the counter and stared into Donghae's eyes. Eunhyuk got worried that she could probably see through and tell that he was a human. Getting flustered he quickly stepped in front of Donghae with a smile. "I guess some just needs alot of practice." she shrugged.

"How about this, since you so much at charms I'll sell you the entire box." she grinned as she gently grazed a fingernail across Donghae's cheek.

"Deal, how much?" Eunhyuk asked, glad that she was willing to sell it all.

"200 saphs." she said and crossed her arms. Donghae only stood to the side not understanding the currency of Sinro.

"That's too much! 150" 

"180" Rina snapped back.

"125"

"150"

"100" Eunhyuk blurted and Donghae took a few steps back since the bargaining was getting scarier.

"Deal!" Rina huffed and shut the lid back on the box before shoving it towards Donghae. The boy caught it quickly.

"I'll pay once you give him his disguise. It'll be elf ears, that's all." Eunhyuk sniffed and lightly placed a hand over his pocket. He was always stingy with his money. It bothered him that he was spending so much on Donghae. The horses and food didn't cost this much. Madame Rina growled at the angel before leading Donghae towards the back of the store. In the back stood a stool and she motioned for the boy to sit on. Donghae nodded and quickly did as told although he was hesitant. When Eunhyuk had said disguise he thought the angel meant a change of clothes like cosplay almost. Never did he think that he was probably going to get fifty spells casted on him by a scary woman.

"Close your eyes, take five deep breaths, let me do the rest." Madame Rina said in a monotone voice before bringing her arms up and pulling the cloak sleeves back. Her skin was pale white making it glisten a bit under the ball of fire that followed her around. She began murmuring under her breath. Donghae kept his eyes closed shut and suddenly felt a tingling feeling in his stomach then it spread upwards to his chin, up his jawline and to his ears.

"Open your eyes." She announced lazily and Donghae did so. Madame Rina brought a mirror up to his face and if it wasn't for Eunhyuk who had kept him steady, Donghae would've passed out from his appearance. His ears were pointy. He looked like an elf. No, he technically is an elf, at least on the outside.

"Hmm it's not a bad look since you actually look like you belong here." Eunhyuk nodded in approval as he gently poked Donghae's ears. Donghae couldn't help himself either he couldn't stop touching the points, it felt so odd.

"So how long will the ears stay?" Donghae asked as they made their way back to the front of the shop to pay.

"Oh you're stuck with them." she explained as she counted the coins called saphs that Eunhyuk handed her. "They won't disappear unless the spell is broken. But you don't have to worry, I've never told anyone how to break the spell." she chuckled only making Donghae's eyes widen. He liked the idea of having elf ears but, wouldn't he have them in reality too?



panda: ah nothing really happeend but eunhaes getting ready for their journey so yay get to know the Sinro place thingy better and i added u guys into the story xD all elfs are part of dis story now ahaha ah its too obvious a move tho :/ aish anyways hope this chap wasnt too boring ^^