Chapter 3

Missing

 

                The girl known as Amber was clinging to the owner of the lettuce stand. “Please!! Lower your prices for me! I need to buy a large amount! I know you love me!” The man selling lettuce covered his face as people started staring. “Fine! Fine! Get off of me!” The girl stood up with a grin on her face. “Thank you so much! I need the usual 20 cases.” The man nodded and started to stack the cases of produce on top of a cart that already had nine 50 pound bags of rice on it already.

                Terrah slowly moved through the crowd, getting closer to her target. She took immediate note of all the surrounding people and watched carefully as she looked for an opportunity. Amber had finished loading all of the cases onto her cart when Terrah realized that she was using a magnetic hover cart. She nodded and followed behind her target for a while till they got to an area that was less populated. Terrah reached into her bag and found her bracelet and quickly put it on and shot a small metal device to the cart.

                The cart suddenly fell to the ground and Amber walked right into the handle, knocking the wind out of herself. The boyish girl curled up to ground. “Stupid technology!! Why don’t you have wheels?!” Terrah cleared and walked up to Amber. “Do you need help? It looks like your cart malfunctioned. I can fix it for you.” She smiled as the girl stood up and pretended she was able to breathe. “Umm… Yeah, thank you! I don’t know how to fix this.”  She coughed a couple times as Terrah laughed a little bit. She bent down and looked for the metal device she shot at it.

                Terrah made it look like she was doing more work than she was by opening a small maintenance panel on the side. “My name is Terrah by the way.” Amber looked over her shoulder curiously. “I’m Amber. It’s nice to meet you. I am really bad with technology stuff. I prefer the old stuff.” Terrah nodded and continued making small talk. “You sure have a lot of food here. Are you feeding an army?”

                Amber laughed “No, I get all the food needed for the people where I live.” Terrah nodded as she pulled off the metal device, causing the cart to hover back up to where it was supposed to be. “Well, that should do it. It was just a short. It should be fine for now. It might do it a few more times. Did you see what I did to fix it?” Amber stared at her confused. “No… I still have more food to get… Ughh! I need a new cart!”

                Terrah smiled. This was going according to her plan. “I could walk around with you so I can fix the cart if it crashes again.” Amber grinned. “Really? You don’t have anywhere to be?” Terrah shook her head. “Nope, I’m free for the rest of the day.” Amber put her arm around Terrah’s shoulders. “Well, you are my best friend for today!” She laughed. She was in.

                Amber pulled the cart now instead of pushing, just in case it fell again. The tomboyish girl really did talk a lot. She told Terrah about all the different stall owners she went to and how to get discounts from them since she had to buy in bulk. She explained to Terrah that where she lived had about 150 people living in it currently. So she had to buy a lot of food every month.

                They reached the final stall that she had to stop at, which was the most important stall, the butcher. Amber greeted the old man and right away he went into his freezer truck and pulled out another hover cart with what Terrah could only imagine had over 100 pounds of assorted meat on it. Amber grimaced and leaned over to Terrah. “I dislike seeing all these dead frozen animals every month. I don’t understand why he can’t just cut it up into pieces for us.” Terrah nodded. She kind of understood. If she didn’t have the job she did, she probably would find seeing entire frozen animals a bit unnerving as well.

                Terrah offered to push the meat cart for Amber which she gladly accepted. She led her to a refrigerated truck that actually still had wheels and ran on an electric motor. Terrah was surprised that they still had trucks like this that still ran. Amber patted the back doors and smiled “Isn’t she beautiful? This is my truck and I keep her running. Older things from the 1990’s to the 2050’s are the easiest to use, don’t you think? They are all so user friendly even if you aren’t technology savvy.” Terrah nodded in agreement as Amber opened up the truck and started putting the food inside.

                Terrah was actually trained in how to use any type of technology from any past century. She helped Amber put the food into the truck. Once it was all in the back, Amber dug through her pockets and handed Terrah a card with an address on it. “If you ever want to go somewhere and get away from it all, go to this address and tell them that Amber sent you. They will explain to you everything about where I live and will tell you how to get there.” Terrah smiled and took the card as Amber got into the driver seat and took off down the road. Mission one complete.

                Terrah waited for the truck to be far enough away then tapped her ear piece. “Call E.Den.” He answered immediately. “This is E.Den.” “I got an address from Amber. Should I go right away or wait till tomorrow?” E.Den was quiet for a while. “Come to the station and we will see what we can find out about the address.” Terrah nodded. “Understood.”

                She walked back to the station and went straight to the conference room. E.Den and Rasa were already waiting for her. She handed the card to E.Den who automatically copied it to a notecard and pinned it to a map. “This place is just a restaurant if I remember right, unless it’s talking about the laundry mat next to it. Rasa, do you remember which one this is?” Rasa stared at it for a moment. “I’m pretty sure that it’s the laundry mat. They use old washers and dryers from the beginning of the last century.”

                Terrah nodded. “Amber said she prefers technology from that time period. I think it’s probably related. She even had a refrigerated truck that still had an electric motor and wheels.” Both of the men looked shocked. They also couldn’t believe those were still around. They decided that she should go today.

                Rasa gave her a ride and dropped her off a block away from the laundry mat. “Call E.Den’s phone and we will be recording this whole encounter.” She nodded and called E.Den who said that recording was now started. She got out of the car and Rasa waved and took off as she turned the corner and saw her destination. Terrah took a deep breath and walked into the laundry mat.

                The place was kept clean but she could tell the machines were old and had been repaired countless times. She walked up the desk that had a man sleeping with a newspaper over his head. She laughed, startling the man. He sat up and fought a bit with the paper. “Ah! I’m sorry! Can I help you?” Terrah studied the man carefully. He was wearing black framed glasses, which had no lenses. His hair was dual toned, black on the sides and the back and red on the longer hair on top. He had a nametag on that said his name was Wooyoung.

                She smiled sweetly. “Oh, this is my first time here. Your name is Wooyoung?” He looked confused for a moment and then looked down at his nametag. “Yeah. My name is Wooyoung. What brings you here?” Terrah smiled and looked around the room. “Well I have walked past this place many times and I met someone this morning who gave me this address. So I thought I might as well come in here.” He sat up and looked around. “Who sent you here?”

                She patted around her pockets and pulled out the card Amber had given her. “A girl named Amber told me to come here. She said to come here if I wanted to get away from it all.” He nodded and looked at the card. He suddenly stood up and turned the sign to ‘closed’ and grabbed her hand and pulled her into the manager’s office.

                He sat her down in a chair and sat behind the desk. “So, did Amber tell you anything about what she was sending you to?” Terrah shook her head. “No just that I should come if I wanted to get away from it all.” He nodded and sighed. “That girl needs to pay more attention to things. She is always causing me more work.” She looked at him confused. “More work?” He nodded and cleared his throat. “Alright, where do I begin…?”

                He started digging around his top drawer in his desk and pulled out a book. The book looked surprisingly new. Paper books were very rare now days. Everyone used digital everything. Now that she thought about it, even the newspaper he had before was rare.

                Wooyoung smiled. “So I have a few questions for you. First, what is your name?” She smiled “My name is Terrah…” she couldn’t use her real last name in case they searched her name. He looked up at her. “Last name too.” She laughed “Oh! Terrah Park.” She just said the first last name to pop into her head. She heard the sound of someone choking from the ear piece. She tried not to smile. She just remembered that both E.Den and Rasa’s last names were Park.

                Wooyoung raised an eyebrow. “Park? You don’t look Asian to me.” She laughed. “Yeah, my mom got remarried when I was a baby and gave me his last name when she took his.” He nodded. “Ah, I see.” She smiled awkwardly as he continued asking her questions. “How old are you?” She laughed. “I will be turning 22 this year.” He nodded and kept interviewing her.

                After answering a lot of basic questions, he finally closed the book he had and leaned on his desk. “Our group is where young people who do not like living in the modern times go. We prefer the ways of life from around the early 2000’s. We don’t need all of the overly automated things of now.” Terrah nodded. “Are you guys that cult that people hear rumors about?” Wooyoung started laughing. “We aren’t a cult. People do see us that way but we are just a group who wants to live separately. I’m not sure where that rumor started…”

                She nodded and smiled. “So, you guys are like modern day Amish people?” He laughed. “I never heard it explained that way but I guess it could be. We live in the past compared to modern days so I guess so. We aren’t all religious or anything though.” She nodded again. “That sounds pretty cool actually.” He grinned. “So if Amber liked you, that means that you are allowed to join if you want. You made friends with a member so if you want in, you can go through orientation and then you will be a part of us.”

                Terrah looked curious. “Orientation?” Wooyoung pushed up his glasses and smiled. “Yeah, we don’t want non-dedicated people to join us, you know. We like to take pride in our members and they all have to work together inside the compound.” She understood what he was talking about but since this was being recorded, she kept asking questions. “What do you have to do for Orientation?” He smirked. “I hope you are in good shape. It’s very challenging and involves being physically fit.”

                She smiled. She was very confident in her physical abilities. She survived dinosaurs; she could take on anything they threw at her. “I can take it.” She laughed. Wooyoung wrote down something on a piece of paper and gave it to her. “At 9am, meet me here. Bring anything that you want to bring inside the compound with you, like clothes, personal items, whatever. We don’t allow you to bring any modern technology with you unless it’s medical. Which if you have medical problems like that, you won’t be able to pass orientation anyways.”

                Terrah looked at the address on the paper and back up at Wooyoung. “Isn’t this in the abandoned construction zone?” he nodded. “That it is.” He stood up and opened the door for her. “I will see you there in the morning. I will only wait for half an hour so if you are too late, you will have missed your chance.” She stood up and nodded. “I won’t be late! I promise!” He smiled and followed her to the front door. “See you in the morning! I hope you can make it through orientation.”

                She shook his hand and left, watching him turn the sign back to open. Suddenly E.Den’s voice was in her ear. “Rasa is already on his way to pick you up from where he dropped you off. He will be bringing you back to the station.” She nodded. “Alright.” E.Den hung up the phone as she turned the corner and waited for Rasa.

                Once back at the station, they wrote down the location that Wooyoung had given her and pinned that up on the map as well. Rasa and E.Den started showing Terrah different photos and maps of the construction area. That area was centered around a quarry that was about a hundred feet deep. There were a lot of abandoned construction equipment like cranes and bulldozers around. Most construction now days were done by programmable robotic machines. The human driven ones were considered obsolete and dumped in this area. There wasn’t anywhere for a compound of over 150 people to be living there.

                Around 8pm, Rasa stretched out. “We should eat dinner or something. Also, Terrah, you need to get to your house and pack the things that Wooyoung guy said you needed. We can take you home if you want.” Terrah nodded. E.Den stood up. “We can help you pack if you need us to.” She nodded again. It was important in a mission to be able to trust your team mates. “We can just order food or something to my house and we can go over a plan for the morning.” The two guys smiled at each other. She knew that they were both trying to hide their excitement of getting to see her house. They probably assumed she had a bunch of things from other time periods and a bunch of amazing BTSA gadgets. They were going to be disappointed.

                Rasa drove to her house and Terrah used the thumbprint scanner and let them in. She could see the looks on their faces change a bit when they realized she lived in a regular apartment. She put the files onto the coffee table again and told the guys to have a seat. She went into her room and searched for her large military style backpack. She would need a month worth of clothes.

                She yelled out into the living room. “You guys can feel free to order anything. I don’t have any food to cook.” She could hear the two men arguing over if they wanted Pizza or Chinese food. She laughed. It reminded her of back in the academy with Woosang and Daniel. She would always end up having to choose the food.

                She laid on the floor and looked under her bed and found the bag she was looking for and pulled it out. She sat up and Rasa was standing in her door way. “We can’t choose between Pizza or Chinese. What do you want to eat?” She smiled and glanced over at the picture on her dresser of her old friends. “I want Chinese.” Rasa grinned and went back out to the living room. “She wants Chinese.” She could hear E.Den sigh as the older one ordered the food.

                She started packing the clothes she would need and her basics. She had to make it seem like she was planning on living there. She finished packing the essentials and put the bag out in the living room. The two boys were sitting on her couch just staring into space. “You could have the TV.” They looked at her oddly. “You don’t have a remote.” Rasa said looking around. She remembered that most houses still had remotes of some sort. She smiled. “TV on.”

                The digital screen popped up out of her entertainment center. E.Den laughed. “I want a voice activated TV!” She laughed and sat in her usual spot on the floor between her table and the couch. They both looked at her oddly. She just smiled and sent a text from her bracelet to Woosang. ‘I go undercover in the morning. So you won’t be able to contact me until further notice.’

                The doorbell rang and she went to answer it. The food arrived. “Guys, the food is here.” E.Den grabbed the food as Rasa paid for it. Terrah just stood there awkwardly. She wasn’t used to having people over. She shrugged her shoulders and sat back in her spot. E.Den passed out the food.

                The three of them began eating and going over the layout of the area around the location that the man at the laundry mat gave her. Soon her phone was ringing. E.Den looked at her TV confused. “Why is your TV ringing?” She laughed. “My video phone is part of my TV as well. I don’t need them to be separate.” She explained. “Answer call.”

                Once again, Woosangs face was on the TV. Eden, Rasa and Woosang all looked equally surprised. “Hello.” Terrah said, smiling as she put a piece of chicken in . Woosang smiled awkwardly. “Terrah, why didn’t you say you had company?” She laughed. “You didn’t ask. Or even tell me you were calling. These are the officers I am working with, Rasa and E.Den. Guys, this is Commander Woo Sangsoo.” The guys all stared at each other for a moment. Woosang broke the silence “So, you are going undercover in the morning? You guys will be protecting her right?”

                Rasa and E.Den both nodded in unison. Rasa cleared his throat. “Of course, as the head of Sector LC9, it is my obligation to keep my officers and now Terrah safe.” Woosang nodded. E.Den spoke up. “I am E.Den and I will be helping Terrah with gathering information. I will be her contact.” Woosang looked over at Terrah with a worried look. “You know that having a contact while undercover is dangerous." She sighed. “Woosang… You know that I am very capable of doing my job. I have done much more dangerous missions than invading a possible cult.”

                He pouted. “That’s beside the point! What if you get caught?” She smiled at the screen and leaned back against the couch, between where Rasa and E.Den’s legs were. “Are you worried for me Woosang?” Woosang turned slightly red and coughed a bit. “No… I know that you are very capable of your job! You are the best agent we have.” She leaned forwards again, leaning on the table. “Then what’s the problem?”

                He suddenly realized that she had been calling him Woosang in front of the two officers. “Ya! My name is Sangsoo! Stop calling me Woosang where people can hear you…” She just smirked and ate some more of her chicken. She looked back up at the screen with her chopsticks still in . “I thought you were on another mission?” He nodded. “I am. We are currently heading to 1850.” E.Den and Rasa’s jaws dropped. They had never met a real BTSA time agent before Terrah and now they met another one who was actually in the time stream as he was talking to them. They didn’t meet just any BTSA agents, but the top 2 agents of this time.

                She nodded. “You should probably dye your hair if you go outside, it’s still red. They don’t have that color red hair in 1850.” Woosang laughed. “I will not be leaving the ship, like usual. I am just commanding the mission.” She nodded again. “Sorry I couldn’t go. Did you get a good replacement scout team?”

                The two officers weren’t quite sure what they were talking about, but they found it fascinating. Woosang nodded. “Yeah, they gave me Henry Lau and Allen Kibum.” Terrah laughed. “If Henry is going, then you are going to somewhere in Asia right? He specializes in ancient Asia.” Woosang nodded. “Yeah. 1850’s China.”

                Terrah sighed. “I love ancient Asia… I’m missing the awesome mission…” Woosang laughed. “It’s not your fault.” Terrah pouted angrily. “It’s that stupid grumpy rainbows fault.” Everyone burst out laughing. Woosang explained that the psychologist had rainbow hair and that Terrah didn’t like him at all. She continued pouting through the entire explanation. Woosang smiled. “So Terrah, what name are you using?” She glared at him. “Terrah Park.” He looked confused. “Whose last name is Park?” Both E.Den and Rasa turned red and avoided eye contact with the screen. Woosang suddenly understood.

                “Don’t you have work to go do? I still need to come up with a plan and finish packing for the morning.” She said changing the subject. Woosang sighed. “Yeah… I should go do that now.” He looked over at Rasa and pointed at him. “I will be contacting you for progress reports on her status.” Terrah pointed her chopsticks at Woosang. “You will be doing no such thing! Good bye!” She hung up the phone and the TV show came back on.

                Rasa and E.Den just looked at her confused. She ate more food then looked up at Rasa. “If he calls you, just tell him that he doesn’t have clearance or something.” E.Den started laughing as Rasa just smiled at her. “You both have clearance to almost anything.” She pouted and laid her head back on the seat of the couch. “Then tell him that I said he doesn’t have clearance.” E.Den leaned over her. “He outranks you.”

                She sighed and accepted defeat. “Fine, tell him whatever you want to tell him.” As soon as they finished eating, they went over a plan. They decided that Rasa would be within rescuing distance and E.Den would be monitoring the audio and video that Rasa would be wearing. Terrah pulled up a digital 3D map of the area they needed to go to. There was a large crevice from the old quarry that had a bunch of cranes in it. They reached ground level even though they were in the 100 foot hole. There were a few other cranes and construction equipment around as well. Rasa would be sitting inside of a truck where he could keep visual contact on her and easily get to her if needed.

                Soon it was getting late. E.Den remembered something. “Where are you going to be hiding your phone? How will you be contacting me?” Terrah laughed and went to her closet and pulled out a pair of sneakers. The tongues of the shoes were hard plastic and she pulled the logo and it popped out a sliding area with an outline for her phone ear bud. “The shoes will charge the phone as well. I will always be able to have my phone with me.” The two men were impressed.

                Rasa stood up and grabbed E.Den. “It’s getting late; we will be back here in the morning. You will need to get yourself there on your own. Me and E.Den will be there way ahead of time. I will need to get into position. Get a lot of rest because we don’t know what kind of physical test it is.” She nodded and stood up. “Understood.” The two boys left and she locked the door behind them.

                She automatically took a shower and got ready for bed.

                In the morning, once again she almost attacked her alarm clock. She really hoped that she wouldn’t do that while undercover. It might cause problems if she suddenly attacks someone for waking her up. She quickly got dressed and called E.Den to tell him she was leaving and putting the phone on silent and into her shoe.

                She grabbed her backpack and the piece of paper that Wooyoung gave her and made her way there as fast as she could, without looking suspicious. She made it there with 5 minutes to spare.

                She looked around and saw the truck that Rasa was hiding in. She nodded in that direction and stood there waiting for Wooyoung to show up.

                Terrah heard a vehicle with wheels coming. She looked in that direction as a golf cart stopped near her and Wooyoung stepped out and took off his sunglasses. “So Terrah Park, are you ready for this?”