제 13 장

왜 날 말하지 않았어? (Why Didn't You Tell Me?)

"Ah! This is going to be hard!" I heard someone say. I'm pretty sure we can beat the other team though. The line up was from start to finish: Chorong, Seungho, Taeyeon, Sunggyu, Hyorin, and Jinyoung. I felt kinda bad for Jinyoung since he was last.. You know.. Having everyone bite into that apple. I laughed a bit in spite of it. We stood in our positions readily as the time keeper held a stop watch. His thumb hovered over the start button, "시~작!" Chorong passed the apple over to Seungho and immediately turned around to get a second one and a third and so on. The girls seemed more competitive than the guys—including me. Jinyoung was a little hesistant in taking the apple, but he knew he had to do it. He dropped eat apple in one by one until eventually two minutes was up. It turns out we scored thirty-six apples. I was satisfied. It seemed as if our team was too, but now.. It was time for the heartbreaking moment.

 

"As we promised, we will now announce the idol that will be leaving with Jinyoung." They tried to make it sound formal, though it didn't matter. The show was ending because of this. We all looked at each other sadly. We knew this was coming, though it didn't make it hurt any less. "Kim Taeyeon." All eyes were now on Taeyeon and Sunggyu. "I'm sorry." Taeyeon turned and leaned against Gyu. He wrapped his arms around her for an assuring, warm embrace. Though it was painful to admit it, I could tell he really liked her. I went in and hugged Taeyeon also, iniciating a group hug. We all started to tear up a little since we really enjoyed being together like a make-shift family. It hurts that it's now coming to an end. 

 

Jinyoung pulled me aside without any cameras or paparazzi around. We stood in a quiet hallway; I held myself up against the wall. "Hyo.." I was too upset to even look at him, afraid I might cry. "Hyo, look at me.." he spoke softly, "I needed to tell you this for a long time.. But it seems this is my last chance." I slowly looked up at him teary eyed. "울이지마.." He lifted his hands to my hot cheeks and gently wiped away my painful tears. "I started to like you after I brought you to my dorm.. You seemed like the perfect girl for me. You get along so well with anyone you meet.. I just.." He took in a deep breath, "I fell in love with you right from the start." Before I could utter any giberish nonsense, he leaned in for our second kiss. Tears ran down our cheeks as we closed our drenched eyes. 

 

Sunggyu and I went to the airport to greet Taeyeon and Jinyoung before they left. They would be leaving for three months to Shanghai. Though, it's been over a year since we started the show, it's like it's only started. Gyu and I stood in front of the window as we watched the plane take off. I didn't cry until the very end. He nudged me, "Are you crying?" I shook my head as a negative, but he denied it. "You are crying.." He pulled me in for a comforting hug—not as lovers, but as friends.