Wang Zi: Stranger

Another Chance

"Humph. Idiot."

As I drove away from that damn intersection, I looked at my rearview mirror, watching the girl that held up traffic. She stood there laughing maniacally, but suddenly bolted down the sidewalk.

God, I hope the rest of the people in Hangzhou aren't like this.

I let out a sigh and continued driving.


Why did I choose to leave Taipei, and of all places, come to Hangzhou? Why did I escape from my life of luxury and run to a place where no one knew me?

Where no one knew me.

Exactly.

I used to be known as the cool guy with the soft skin, the attractive dude with the brains, the cold fellow who's amazingly rich… I never wanted to be described this way. I never wanted to stand out. I just wanted to be normal.

So here I am in Hangzhou, trying to start over and maybe right my past wrongs.

I just hope that I don't regret my decision.


I took a glance at the clock. It was 8:02 AM.

"Dammit. It's the first day of school and I'm already late." It looks like my plan to not stand out has already hit its first bump in the road.

In the distance, I could see Zhejiang University.

"Well, at least I won't be that late."

As I approached the university, I turned into the entrance and proceeded to find a suitable parking spot.


I raised the provided map of the university before my eyes, looking for the Language Department. I continued to scan the map as I walked forward, but I could not find the location of my English class. I scratched my head and stared at the map, unaware of where I was going.

Suddenly someone bumped into me, crashing the map onto my face. Because of the force of the impact, I instinctively grabbed the person by the shoulders, hoping to not fall, but my attempt failed. I could feel the stranger's shoulders tense up in my hands. We fell to the ground with a hard THUD. I bit my lip as the pain from hitting the books in my backpack reverberated throughout my back.

The stranger soon realized what had happened and quickly got off of me and said, "I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to bump into you. It's just that it's the first day of class and I'm late, so I was running and… I'm really sorry!"

That voice, that familiar voice…

I pulled the map off of my face and quickly stood up as the mysterious person ran away. "I'm gonna be late for English!" she said anxiously.

I took off my sunglasses and looked at her as she ran. That high-pitched voice, that petite figure, that ponytail… Could it be? No, it couldn't. Why would she be here?

I brushed the thought away, put my sunglasses back on, and readjusted my backpack. I turned to walk away but then stopped. "She said she was going to be late for English."

I turned back and ran in the direction I last saw her, hoping to catch sight of her.

After a couple of minutes, my wish was granted. She was running through a courtyard. As I chased her through courtyards and squares and up flights of stairs, I tried to keep a distance of about twenty feet between us. I didn't want the first classmate that I'll meet to think I was some creep if she somehow spotted me.

After a few more minutes of nonstop running, we had finally reached the English classroom. I tried to act casual and turned my head away as she stood in front of the door. I heard the door open and the sound of her footsteps as she stepped inside.

I waited to hear the click! of the door closing before turning my head back and approaching the door. I patted down my hair and readjusted my shirt and backpack. I then took a deep breath.

Welcome to Hangzhou, Qiu Sheng Yi.

I grabbed the door handle and turned it to open a door to a new life.