Gui Gui: Surprises

Another Chance

Dear Diary,

It has been a few months since the start of the school year at Zhejiang University and since Wang Zi came back into my life. My stable life changed so suddenly that I panicked. I thought that all of my effort was going to disappear. I thought my past was going to catch up to me, but Wang Zi never mentioned it. We've become friends now. He actually got me a card for my birthday! But no matter how nice he is to me, I won't fall in love with him again. I promise that we're just friends.
I hope that the rest of the school year goes smoothly with no more surprises.

P.S. Winter break is coming!


When I arrived at school, I immediately headed toward my oak tree. While I walked, I could feel a stare piercing into me. I kept going, waiting for it to leave; however it was unmoving. The East Courtyard had come into sight, but I turned toward a nearby building. When I reached the corner of the building, I turned. I then quickly turned around and looked at my stalkers. They were three females. They looked like students, but I asked, "Who are you and what do you want?"

"Who we are is not important. Why are you hanging around Prince Charming?" asked one of the girls. She seemed to be the leader of the group.

"What? Who?"

"Prince Charming."

"I don't have time to deal with crazy people," I said and walked around them, heading toward the East Courtyard. "Pfft… Like Prince Charming actually exists."

The girls ran and stopped in front of me.

"What do you want now?" I asked, starting to get irritated.

"Stay away from Prince Charming or else."

"I don't even know who he is!" I yelled, extremely annoyed.

"G– Hey," said a familiar voice.

The girls and I turned to see Wang Zi. He approached us and asked, "Is anything wrong?"

Before I could reply, the leader of the group cut in and said, "Prince Charming, you look nice today."

"Uh… Thanks."

"Are you going to class?"

"Yeah," he replied with a nod. He stepped toward me, grabbed my wrist, and said, "Let's go to class now."

I was speechless. As we walked away, I glanced at the girls. They looked extremely angry with their eyes filled with rage.

Looks like I have some enemies now, and it's senior year…

When we were far away and the girls out of sight, I stopped walking and said, "Wang Zi, you can let go of me now."

He turned and looked at his right hand holding my left. He quickly let go and said, "Oh, sorry."

I rubbed my wrist and stared at the ground. We then continued to walk to class without saying a word. I pondered over whether or not I should break the silence.

"Wang Zi."

"Yeah?"

"Why did you do that?"

"Do what?"

"Take me away from those girls."

"Because it looked like they were bothering you."

"You were concerned about me?"

"Of course not. I just don't want to hear Professor Xu yell at a student and waste class time."

"Oh… It looks like you're pretty popular. It's like high school all over again."

"Which is what I did not want to happen."

"I thought you love the popularity, especially them calling you Prince Charming and all…"

Wang Zi suddenly stopped, turned around, and said, "I only want you to call me Prince." He then fast-walked to the English classroom without me.

I froze. I looked at where he just stood. My arms went limp. I took a step back to prevent myself from falling.

"I only want you to call me Prince."

What is that supposed to mean?


"To test and help your understanding and pronunciation of the English language and culture, we will be working with one of William Shakespeare's masterpieces, Romeo and Juliet. I will assign groups and major scenes for you to translate to Chinese. On your desks is a list of Shakespearean words that you may come across. Four weeks from now is this project's due date. On that day, you will have to perform your scene from its original English script. You will be able to use the script while performing. The other scenes we will discuss in class," said Professor Xu.

I wonder who I'll have to work with…

"I will start at the back. Sheng Yi, you will work with only Ying Jie on Act 2, Scene 2."

I immediately turned to look at Wang Zi. He smiled. I shyly smiled back. I grabbed my copy of Romeo and Juliet and flipped to Act 2, Scene 2.

It was the love confession scene.

My smile quickly turned into a frown as I leaned back onto my seat.


"Welcome to the Zhejiang University Library. Remember to keep quiet. And please do not fall asleep. I always find a few students sleeping around here," one of the librarians said.

Wang Zi and I both nodded at the awkward librarian and quickly found a table to work at. He took out his laptop while I got my copy of Romeo and Juliet and list of Shakespearean words. He then grabbed my copy of the play and turned to Act 2, Scene 2. I could tell he was smirking.

"It looks like you're going to be my Juliet."

"Who else would I be? Romeo?"

He let out a short sarcastic laugh and then continued to skim over the scene. "We got the famous balcony scene. I think this should be easy for you."

"Why do you say that?"

"Because you're in love with me."

I swiftly stood up and replied, "You!"

"Shh!" said the awkward librarian.

I sat down and whispered, "That's all in the past."

"So you like someone else. Is it Chen Feng?"

"No. I don't like anyone. Can we start working now?"

"Fine."

As I read our scene, I glanced at Wang Zi in curiosity.

Why does he care about who I like?

I turned my attention back to the script and sighed.

Why would he like someone like me? I must be thinking too much.


After working on our English project for two hours, we packed up and left the library. While leaving, Wang Zi kept blabbering on and on about the project.

"Remember to translate your part by next week. We'll check and revise each other's work. After that then we can start practicing performing."

I turned and stopped in front of him. I grabbed his arms and said, "Wang Zi, don't worry. I know what to do. I'm passing all of my courses."

"Yeah, and how do your grades compare to mine?"

I let go of him and crossed my arms. With a frown, I replied, "I can't help that my intelligence is average. You just happen to be a genius."

"Fine. Just try your best, okay?"

"Wang Zi," I said and grabbed his arms, pulling him to my level, "look at my eyes. I'm going to get the translation done by next week. I'm not lying."

After a few seconds passed, I realized how close we were. I could hear his breathing and smell the slight scent of peppermint. I felt my heart skip a beat as his intense eyes stared at mine. I immediately let go and took a few steps back.

What just happened?

"Sorry, Wang Zi."

"Gui, it's fine. Let's go get some lunch. I'm starving."

"Uh, yeah. Let's go."

As we walked to lunch, I tried to piece together what had just happened, what I had just felt, what was up with him today.

This whole day has just been chock full of surprises.