Gui Gui: Coincidence

Another Chance

A/N: Because I have never been to Zhejiang University, please forgive me for any discrepancies.


"You're a senior now. You should be more responsible. When this school year ends, you will be out in the real world. And out there, you can't be late. Try not to be late next time."

"Thank you, Professor Xu," I said with a bow. I quickly found an empty seat and sat down. I removed my books and materials and placed them on my desk. I leaned back and let out a happy sigh.

Professor Xu wasn't as strict and mean as I expected. I guess English won't be so bad after all.

Suddenly, a small folded piece of paper landed on my desk. I grabbed it and looked around to find who threw it, but no one looked suspicious. I brought my hands to my lap and started to unfold and read the slip of paper under the desk.

"Wu Ying Jie, are you being lazy again?"

I immediately lifted my head up. A guy seated a few desks ahead in my column turned and winked. I smiled back. He then turned back around and listened to Professor Xu lecturing with the whiteboard.

Chen Feng is in this class too! Maybe I could get used to this.

I stuffed the note into my pocket and started to listen attentively to Professor Xu.

"Class, now open your green books and turn to page seventeen."

As we all turned to page seventeen, the classroom door opened and a guy wearing huge, dark sunglasses and a navy blue backpack entered. He went up to Professor Xu and said, "Sorry for being late. I got lost and couldn't find where your class was. But I'm here now and I won't be late again."

"Remember to keep your word. Find a seat and sit down."

"Thank you, Professor Xu."

Those huge sunglasses… He's the impatient guy who honked at me!

I turned my head and saw the empty desk to my left. I smirked.

Just try to sit next to me. We'll see if you can endure the wrath of Wu Ying Jie!

"Oh, and please remove your sunglasses," added Professor Xu.

The new student stopped and proceeded to remove his huge, black sunglasses. Underneath the sunglasses was a familiar face I did not expect to see.

I leaned forward and my jaw dropped. I grabbed my green book and hid behind it as Wang Zi walked toward the group of empty desks. I closed my eyes tightly and bit my bottom lip.

Please don't sit next to me. Please don't sit next to me. Please…

"Thanks for holding up traffic back there, Gui Gui," whispered a voice.

I turned my head and looked. There seated next to me was Wang Zi. He smiled. Or was that a smirk? I gave him a weak smile that quickly turned into a frown as I turned back. I placed my book flat on the desk. I leaned back onto my chair and closed my eyes.

No, I could not get used to this.


As soon as class ended, I packed my backpack and ran to the East Courtyard. I found my favorite oak tree and sat under it, leaning against its ancient trunk.

Why is Wang Zi here? I left Taiwan because of him, and now he's barging back into my life! Why is he here?

I leaned forward and hugged my knees to my chest. I let my chin rest on my right knee and closed my eyes. I took a deep breath and listened to my heartbeat.

"Ying Jie, has your first class already tired you out?" asked a familiar voice.

I smiled. I lifted my head, opened my eyes, and quickly replied, "Do you think I, Wu Ying Jie, would be so easily defeated?"

Chen Feng squatted on the ground and said, "Of course not. You're invincible Wu Ying Jie!"

We both smiled and laughed.

"Now that I see you're in a good mood, can I ask you for a favor?"

"What kind of person first complements his friend then asks for a favor?" I crossed my arms and pouted.

"Aiyo, Ying Jie," he whined, making puppy eyes and rubbing his head on my left arm like a cat.

I couldn't bear to be mean to my best friend when he looked so adorable.

"Fine, but you owe me lunch."

"I promise," Chen Feng said with a smile.

After we both rose to our feet, he signaled for someone to come over. When I realized who it was, I glared at Chen Feng.

"Ying Jie, this is Qiu Sheng Yi, the guy that came to English after you. Because he's new here and you're so nice, I thought you could give him a tour."

I was utterly speechless.

"Oh, and Sheng Yi, this is Wu Ying Jie."

"I actually already know Ying Jie. We went to high school together."

"Really?"

I forced myself to smile and nod.

"Well, that makes things easier! Ying Jie, show him around campus and stuff. I'm gonna go and fix up my dorm. Bye!" Chen Feng turned and ran.

I finally found something to say and yelled, "Chen Feng, don't go! Chen–" But he was already out of sight. I turned to look at Wang Zi. He still looked like the calm, indifferent, and cold guy that I knew. When he noticed me observing him, he smirked.

Looks like the prince hasn't changed at all.

I sighed.

I'm only doing this for Chen Feng.

"Let's go."

As we trekked all over the college campus, I tried to be a few steps ahead of him. But no matter how fast I walked, Wang Zi somehow was always by my side. The few inches that separated us made me nervous. I talked more and more as I introduced every new location, hoping to distract myself from the awkwardness, but it seemed to just easily give away how uncomfortable I felt.

"Are you okay?"

"Of course I am," I said while forcing myself to smile. "Why?"

"You haven't looked at me during this whole tour."

I stopped and turned right to look at him with my arms crossed.

"I'm looking at you now. Can we continue?" I started to fast-walk, trying to hold in the growing emotions inside of me.

"Are you mad at me? What did I do wrong?" Wang Zi asked as he chased after me.

"You did nothing wrong."

"Then why are you mad at me?"

I stopped. I couldn't hold it in any longer.

"Why are you here in Hangzhou?"

Wang Zi stood in front of me and answered, "To study."

"Couldn't you go study somewhere else? Why did you choose Hangzhou?"

"What? Do you not like me studying here?"

I just glared at him.

"Listen, Wu Ying Jie," he said while stepping one step closer to me, "I'm going to study here at Zhejiang University whether you like it or not."

We both stood there in silence, glaring at each other as hot emotions flowed throughout our bodies.

"Stop messing up my life!" I yelled and then ran, leaving Wang Zi alone and stupefied by the force of my anger.


I crawled under my covers and closed my eyes, thinking about the awkward conversation I had with Chen Feng at lunch.

Chen Feng grabbed a piece of sushi with his pair of chopsticks, dipped it in soy sauce, and then popped it into his mouth.

"You really went to high school with Sheng Yi?" he asked with his mouth still full.

"Uh, yeah."

"What was he like then?"

"The same."

"Really?"

"Yup."

We continued to eat in silence. I could tell he was sensing the awkwardness. He quickly found another question to ask me.

"Were you two friends?"

I looked at Chen Feng. From his facial expression I could tell he wanted me to answer his question. I looked down at my plate and then took a sip of water.

"Um… Yeah, we were friends, but not close friends."

"Oh, okay."

I glanced at him as he popped another piece of sushi into his mouth.

I felt bad for lying to him. But how could I tell him about my embarrassing past that I've been trying so hard to forget?

I sighed and then my side, staring out into space.

"Stop messing up my life!"

I covered my face with my blanket in embarrassment and regret.

Why did I yell at Wang Zi? How messed up my life is is all my fault. I'm the one who fell in love with someone who could never love me back. I'm the one who moved to Hangzhou to forget about him. He just happened to come here to study. It's just a coincidence.

I quickly sat up and said confidently, "Who am I? I am invincible Wu Ying Jie! A small thing like this can't defeat me!" I hopped off of my bed and stood with my hands on my hips.

"No matter what obstacles I have to face, I need to keep moving forward. Crushing on him was part of my past, not the present nor the future. Yelling at him was wrong, so I'm going to apologize tomorrow. Then we can start anew and maybe become friends."

I chuckled and smiled. I turned and dropped myself onto my bed. I then turned to stare at the ceiling and sighed.

"Tomorrow's a new day, Wu Ying Jie."