Gui Gui: Late

Another Chance

Beep. Beep. Beep.

"Ugh… Just a few more minutes, please."

I lazily got my hand out from under my blanket and started groping for the alarm clock for the third time. My hand searched for the snooze button, but instead I knocked the clock off of my bed stand.

"Ugh," I said as I curled up under my blanket and tried to continue to sleep, but the incessant beeping of my alarm clock had gotten louder and faster.

I let out a sigh and groaned. I crankily got out of bed and sat on my bedroom floor. With my eyes closed, I picked up the clock and turned off the alarm. I then held my clock with one hand and rubbed my eyes with another, attempting to rub the sleep away. After a few minutes, I finally opened my eyes and looked at the time.

"It's 7:45 already? I'm gonna be late!"

I dropped my alarm clock on the bed stand and ran to my closet, hastily getting dressed. "Why did I choose to be lazy today?" I questioned myself as I brushed my hair and tied it in a simple ponytail.

I sprinted to the kitchen and grabbed a couple cereal bars and my water bottle. I picked up my shoulder bag off of the couch and slung it over one shoulder. I bit my lip as I opened and locked my apartment door.

"Thank God I live on the second floor," I said as I ran down the stairs, hoping not to be late for the first day of school.


After pressing the button on the pedestrian sign, I waited for the sign to change to 'Walk." When it did, I hurriedly began to cross the street and took a bite out of a cereal bar.

As I reached about the middle of the crosswalk, the other cereal bar slipped out of my left hand.

"Crap."

I stopped to reach down and pick up the other half of my breakfast.

BEEP, BEEP!

I looked up and saw that a silver convertible I was standing in front of was honking at me.

"Move it!" yelled the driver.

I gave the driver a death glare before crossing to the other side of the street. I turned and stuck my tongue out at the silver car as it drove away.

"Humph. I was just crossing the street. You didn't have to be so impatient! You're lucky you were wearing huge sunglasses, so I couldn't see your face clearly. Otherwise you would suffer the wrath of Wu Ying Jie the next time we meet!" I said to myself.

I stood there chuckling to myself, imagining beating up the impatient stranger.

"Oh, wait! Why am I standing here? I need to get to school!"

I turned back around, cursing myself for being so stupid, and ran to school.