Chapter 27.

The Curse
Please log in to read the full chapter

Hi guys!
Again, I'm sorry for the slow update. My writer's block isn't getting any better it seems...
But I really want to thank you for still being here and supporting this story, it means a lot to me really!! I read and re-read all your comments and it helps me not to give up on writing this! Thank you so much for being patient with me <3
Here is another update, one of the last chapters (maybe one or two more), I hope you'll like it!

(This is kinda proof-read but probably still full of typos and mistakes, sorry about that!)
 

 

 

          A drop of sweat rolled down Kyuhyun's temple, tracing the curve of his face and reaching the edge of his jawline, before it ended its course down his neck. Another drop soon followed.
His face and body were covered with a thin layer of sweat, making his skin moist and itchy. His clothes were drenched with perspiration, especially his back and his neck, and he felt uncomfortably hot and sticky. His fever was hitting him hard and only getting worse, leaving him with a heavy head-ache, a dry mouth and stiff limbs. It felt like his energy was out of him, leaving him all but exhausted. He couldn't find the strength to get up on his feet and find a way out of his cell.

Not that he would have been able to get up anyway, not with the shackles wrapped around his wrists and ankles, chaining him down to the floor. Those shackles were rough and heavy, sharp enough to draw small cuts into his skin whenever he tried to fight against them. He had tried to break off the chains ever since he had been locked up, but to no avail. The metal had been dipped into pure silver and Kyuhyun's supernatural strength was powerless against it. 
He was trapped and the fever of his soon-to-come transformation was draining his last resources of energy.

The Hunters had tried to make him talk, had tried to get him to confess, but Kyuhyun had remained strong and quiet during the interrogation. He knew better than to give them all they needed to kill him. He knew what they would do to him if he admitted anything.
They hadn't tortured him nor had they used violence to get his confession -not yet- but Kyuhyun wasn't a fool. He knew they didn't need it to get proves of his curse. He could feel the full moon coming closer and the monster within him awakening once again. He had maybe two days left, no more than that, before his monstrous form would be revealed and then the Hunters would get all the proves they needed.
No, they really didn't need his confession. They just had to wait for his shift and then, they wouldn't even need to put him through a trial. They'd take the chance to kill him right away. If he was lucky, they wouldn't do anything but keep him locked until then.

His initial plan had been to escape his cell and intrude the Hunters' headquarters, to hack their network and find the location of the Witch named Hilda. Then he'd have to find a way to get out, get back to Donghae and bring the boy with him to kill her.
But things weren't going as planned, not at all, and there he was, chained down, sick like hell and unable to move a single muscle.

He was ed, he realized. There was no way to get out of his cell, no way to get away from the Hunters. He had been such an idiot to think this stupid plan would work. He had let them take him, for God's sake!, and now he was stuck.
He told himself it wasn't for nothing. He had the hope Donghae was safe. He had also done it so that Donghae wouldn't get caught too. But still... Now he was doomed and he'd never see Sungmin again... The mere thought of it was breaking his heart.

He puffed out a chocked gasp, feeling his chest hurt with sorrow.
He felt so sorry for his lover, for hurting him, both physically and emotionally. Sometimes he wished Sungmin had just given up on him, left him and been happy with someone else. But every time he imagined himself without his lover, he felt like dying. Without Sungmin, he had no anchor. Without Sungmin, the human part of him struggling against the monster would have lost the fight long ago. Sungmin was the only reason why he was still able to stand against his curse.

This battle was coming to an end now. His next shifting would be his last. Either the Hunters killed him, or the beast took over. He knew that he wouldn't make it anyway.  

He frowned deeply and tried to open his eyes. His lids were heavy, unwilling to obey, and it took him a whole minute of struggle before he managed to crack one open. The sweat running over his face stung in his eyes and made him tear up.
He was on the cold, hard floor, lying down on his side in a foetal position, his back pressed against the wall so that no one could sneak up on him from behind. He threw a tired glance around the room, to search for anything he could use to escape, but the room was empty. No window, no furniture, only four white walls and a massive, steel enhanced door. The ceiling was high with only a small yellowish light coming from one of its corner, while the floor was bare except for the four chains tying Kyuhyun down. Nothing he could use to escape, even if he miraculously managed to break his chains and stand up, despite his high fever.

There was no way he could get out of this place.

He closed his eyes, too dizzy to keep them open.

Maybe if he begged hard enough, the Hunters would let him see Sungmin one last time...

At this point, it was Kyuhyun's last hope.

 

He woke up some time later, not sure when he had lost consciousness in the first place. He had been drifting back and forth between states of sleep and dazed awakening, and he was getting more and more disoriented.
His head was swirling and burning with strong fever, while his mind unable to focus. His breathing was getting heavy and laborious. His skin was itching, both from the hot sweat covering his flesh and because of the beast scratching beneath the surface, trying to take over and force him to shift. His teeth had turned sharper and longer, they hurt his gums and the inside of his mouth. His fingers were still human but stiff and folded, claws ready to come out.

And then there was this crave.

He wanted to bite, to rip off, to tear apart.
He wanted to taste flesh and blood, to feel bones crack under his fangs.
He wanted out of this confined room. He wanted to run, to hunt, to kill.
The beast was ready to be unleashed. He could feel its restlessness, its eagerness to finally take over the human.

Kyuhyun moaned in pain.

"S-Sungmin", he whimpered, foolishly hoping his lover would come for him and help him handle the pain, like he always did.

But Sungmin didn't come, and Kyuhyun was alone in his cell.

 

It seemed like thousands of hours passed, but it felt as if the world had stopped at the same time.
At some point, Kyuhyun lost any sense of time and space. He forgot where he was, why he was there, what he was supposed to do - escape - and what was going to happen to him. He could only feel his strength fading, slowly deserting him, as he weakly struggled to fight the shift. But the beast was progressively winning the fight and his body was being taken from him.
He couldn't speak anymore. His mind had forgotten how to formulate words, his thoughts were turning less human and more animal-like. He could only let out growls and groans every time his muscles twitched with the urge to shift.

The moon wasn't quite there yet, though, and he was stuck in this in-between state. Not yet a beast, but not completely human anymore. The pain was excruciating and he still had hours ahead of him to feel the torture of the slow shift.  

 

 

He didn't expect the sudden burst of pain which crashed down on him.

His heart missed a beat and he stopped breathing when all his muscles tensed abruptly. It took him a second to comprehend the sudden sensation of pure pain coursing through every inch of his body.

He gasped.

He felt like his body was dismembered into pieces, as if his skin was ripped off his flesh, his bones crushed into dust, his organs torn out of his guts. He arched his back hard, head slamming against the hard floor and eyes rolling in their sockets, as he roared in agony.
The pain doubled, unbearable, as if the beast was opening him up from the inside to get out. He wanted to die.
He fell to the side and threw up everything he had, which wasn't much. Blood stained the floor, the iron scent filling his nostrils. His vision faltered, his head spun with heavy dizziness, his muscles trembled and jumped as he convulsed.

He felt himself lose consciousness and welcomed the darkness.   

 

He woke up again.
The first clear thought that crossed his mind was that he wasn't dead. He didn't understand why he wasn't dead. How could he still be alive? The pain had been so sudden, so hard and so strong, there was no way his heart and body would have been able to endure it. It had crushed him, broken him, and shattered every inch of his body.
And now, it was gone. He could still feel the after effects of it. His muscles were humming with dull aching, while a heavy head-ache was pounding under his skull. His heart was beating slowly, almost too weakly. He was drained and numb, unable to move even a finger.

And he felt weirdly empty. There was a strange sensation inside of him, a hollow, as if something was missing. Something that had once been there, deep-seated in his flesh, and which was now gone. Something that had been taken from him.  

He frowned at the feeling, unable to comprehend what was happening to him, yet sensing it was something important, something which was going change everything.

He groaned and cracked an eye open. His frown deepened.
He wasn't in his cell anymore. He was in a small, clean room, in a bed, tucked under a warm blanket. There was a window on his left and sun beaming through the white curtains, enlightening the space but not too brightly. A wooden chair had been pushed next to his bed, but it was vacant. He observed his surroundings and noted that he was alone in the room.

He froze. His heart jumped inside his chest at the realization.

He was alone.

He suddenly became fully aware of it, aware of that odd sensation he hadn't been able to explain before. He was alone. This was what the strange sensation was all about. Not just alone in this room, in this bed, but absolutely alone.

His heartbeat went wild and his heart began to pump blood all the way to his ears. He held his breath and sought for it, tried to feel the monstrous presence inside of him. But he couldn't sense it. The beast was silent, imperceptible, missing. Vanished. Not just sleeping, or pushed somewhere far in a corner of his mind. It was gone. Definitely gone, and he was alone. Not sharing his body with the cursed monster born from his own soul.
That part of him wasn't there anymore. That was the missing piece.

His breath hitched and he brought a trembling hand up to his chest, where his heart was pounding. His head spun harshly and his eyes burned up with warm tears.
His curse was gone. He could feel it all the way to his bones. He didn't know how it had happened, but it somehow had happened. Not that he really cared at that moment. He was too overwhelmed, too shocked and confused too. He couldn't fully believe it yet.

It's a dream, he thought. It's only a dream. This can't be real...

He jumped in surprise and raised wide shocked eyes when the door of his room was suddenly opened and Sungmin entered, phone in his hand. Kyuhyun's breath was caught and his heart drumming hard as he stared dumbly at his lover shutting the door closed again. More than ever, he believed he was dreaming.
With a heavy sigh, Sungmin approached the be

Please log in to read the full chapter