Chapter 6.

The Curse
Please log in to read the full chapter

Short update. But next one will be longer ;)
Thank you so much for subbing and upvoting, and for all the wonderful feedback! <3
I hope you'll like this chapter.
 

 

 

          "Be careful", Hyukjae softly said as he pressed a napkin over the corner of Donghae's mouth, cleaning up the mess the cursed boy had done while he was eating.

  Donghae let the other wipe off the sticky spot, his heart swelling up with sheer happiness under the other's gentle touch. All those small attentions, after years of loneliness, felt like a miracle. Hyukjae was so kind and caring it almost made him cry.

When the soft and now wet tissues left his face, he grinned widely and lowered his face to bring another mouthful of his ramyun up into his mouth. He chewed on his food happily. He hadn't been able to eat so well, being sick and all, and he could only enjoy every bite of his first real meal since days.

"Now I understand what you meant when you said he was like a kid", Heechul chuckled, or snorted, Donghae wasn't too sure.

"How old are you Donghae?" Hyukjae asked softly, successfully catching the cursed boy's attention.

Donghae chewed a few more times and swallowed his food. He his lips.

"My father said I'm nineteen", he answered with his still slightly raspy voice.

"Did he?" Hyukjae asked. Donghae nodded. "Where's your father now?"

Donghae pulled down his chopstick and lowered his face, his happy expression turning into a sad one.

"I don't know", he mumbled, fighting the painful lump in his throat. "He told me to wait for him on the bench."

"Bastard", he heard Heechul growl in a whisper.

A hand suddenly came to squeeze his fingers, comforting and soothing, and he knew that it was Hyukjae. He could recognize those hands now. They had long and slender fingers, and they were always warm and soft.

"Tell us what happened", Hyukjae gently asked, his hand not moving from Donghae's tiny one.

The cursed boy kept his head low as he spoke again.

"I was in my room", he started. "And he came in. He told me to come with him. I was surprised first, because he never brought me anywhere, but he said he had to take me somewhere, since it was my nineteenth birthday. And then he made me sit on the shaking seat..."

"Shaking seat?" Heechul interrupted him.

Donghae nodded and tilted his head. "He called it a car..."

"You... You've never been in a car before?"

The cursed boy shook his head and pouted. A silence followed, and he wasn't sure if he had said something bad or wrong.

"A-And then I fell asleep in the car", he went on, breaking the silence. "When I woke up, he put me on the big chair and told me to wait until he came back."

"And?" Heechul spoke again. Donghae could hear some anger in his voice, but he felt it wasn't directed to him. He shrugged and grabbed his chopstick again.

"Hyukjae came", he simply replied and filled up his mouth with noodles.

Another silence followed, this time shorter.

"I saw him waiting there, the morning, when I was going to work", Hyukjae eventually uttered. "I passed by him without really paying attention to him. But when I came back from work, at the end of the day, he was still there..."

"So you took him in?" Heechul said.

"No", Hyukjae breathed out. "I just went home."

Donghae could feel remorse and guilt in the man's voice. He didn't want Hyukjae to feel this way, not after all what he had done for him, so he removed his hand from the other's warm one and put it on top of it. This time, he was the one squeezing the other's fingers tightly.

Hyukjae returned the squeeze, trapping Donghae digits with his own fingers.

Then he heaved a deep sigh. "I went home and just did as usual", he went on. "And in the morning, he was there again. He was so pale, Hyung, and he was trembling, and I felt so bad because I had seen him but hadn't done anything to help him. I could have avoided it, I could have prevented him from getting sick, but I had just passed by and looked away... I'm such a selfish person..."

Donghae swallowed his food and shook his head furiously.

"You're not selfish", he softly muttereded. "You came and talked to me, even if I am cursed. And you gave me food, and m-medicine... You're the only one who cared..."

His lips began to quiver as the words came out.

"I'm sorry for the troubles I've caused", he quietly added and pursed his lips.

"I already told you, you're not a burden, nor did you cause me any trouble", Hyukjae retorted, his voice soft but serious. "I'm sorry I didn't come to help you as soon as I saw you, but don't ever think I regret bringing you here, okay?"

Donghae sniffed and nodded, biting on his lip not to cry.

"You can stay here as long as you want", Hyukjae went on. "And even if Heechul Hyung doesn't agree with it, nobody can make me change my mind."

"I never said I didn't agree..."

"Oh pl

Please log in to read the full chapter