Page 5 — Hello, there.

Once Upon A Change

“Aw, crackers! I am soooo late!”

 

It was already 5:42pm by the time Tao checked his watch. He’s mentally cursing himself for not refilling his gas this morning, assuming that he would be home a little early after his sword dance practice, for only taking some limited lunch portion, and for not bringing his iPod charger with him. Now he’s starving, yet he has to walk for about half an hour to his house and the trip is going to be so lonely without his iPod shuffling. “Great.” He groaned as he collects his stuff, lazily slouching downstairs despite the fact the school is already empty. He shuddered at the thought.

 

Just as he was crossing the school gate, he was surprised by a light tap on his shoulder. He whipped his head and the sight almost made him faint to death.

 

“Holy Buddha!” He exclaimed, clutching his chest in an attempt to stop his rapid heartbeat due to the shock. The other chuckled at this.

 

“Well, hello there.” He said, offering a warm smile as he waved a little to the younger.

 

“You, you scared me you know that?” Tao squinted his eyes at the elder, continuing to walk away from school.

 

“Sorry, I didn’t mean to.” Said the other as he follows Tao closely from behind.

 

“That’s okay.”

 

“I’m Kris.”

 

Tao slightly looked over to his shoulder. “Mhm, hi Kris. What’re you doing at this time following me like a creeper?”

 

“I’m not a creeper!” Kris frowned, receiving a very soft chuckle from the other. “And what I’m doing here… uh..” He scratched his head. “Wanna make sure you're home safely perhaps? Hey... Your accent is different. Are you not from here?”

 

“Me? What about you? Aren’t you supposed to be at home already?” Tao stopped for a while. “Yeah. I came from China, Qingdao to be exact. And walk beside me, so no one would misunderstand you as a ‘creepo’.”

 

“Nah, I just don’t wanna be home early today.” Kris muttered, sprinting a bit towards Tao’s side.

 

Just as the younger was about to speak up, a rumble of empty stomach was heard quite loudly. It was coming from the younger one’s tummy.

 

Kris cleared his throat, refusing the urge to laugh at this. “W-well are you hungry?” he asked, causing Tao to blush a little.

 

“A-am not…”

 

“Do you like Dim Sum?” The blonde said, ignoring the other’s statement just a second ago. “I know a pretty good Chinese restaurant that sells Dim Sum soup. Wouldn’t be as brilliant as the real one, but it would remind you of home, I guess.” He glanced to the younger before shoving his hands to his jeans, the cold breeze already hitting on his skin.

 

Tao just stared at him clueless, hesitating to reply.

 

“Well?” The other tilted his head towards the younger, smiling softly. “Come on, it’s my treat.”

 

“W-well… I guess it wouldn’t hurt me to say yes..” Tao said as he glances down to his shoes, embarrassed. And this just made Kris’s smile grew even wider.

 

They both continue walking until they arrived at the said restaurant, both taking a comfortable backseat seeing that there’s not many customers yet.

 

“May I have your order, gentlemen?” said a waitress.

 

“I’ll just have a green tea.” Kris softly said, smiling to her.

 

“And you are?” She said, turning her attention to Tao.

 

“S-same like him...” Tao answered, looking down to his interesting fingers.

 

“Ah no, get him your regular Dim Sum meal please.”

 

“Alright then, a green tea and regular Dim Sum meal coming right up.” The waitress said, rereading her notes.

 

Tao looked up to the retrieving waitress then turning his gaze to Kris. “Why did you do that for?” he frowns.

 

“An early dinner wouldn’t hurt, yes?” Kris smiled. “Besides you’re hungry.”

 

“Okay..”

 

“So, may I have your name?” Kris decided to open a conversation.

 

“Ah, oh yeah.. Tao. Sorry for…..being rude.”

 

Kris chuckled. “S’alright. Anyw-”

 

“Here you go gentlemen, a cup of green tea for you. A dumpling soup and warm tea for this young man.” The waitress cuts in. “Anything else I can help you with?”

 

“No thanks.” They both said in unison.

 

“Alright, please enjoy your meal.” By that, she leaves again.

 

“As I was saying, anyway, I noticed that you’re walking home today?” Kris said, sipping on his tea delicately.

 

“Yeah. I didn’t refuel my bike this morning.” He answered as he took a bite of a dumpling and letting out a satisfied moan. “Mm! This actually good! You wanna try?” he slightly pushed his bowl towards the older. But Kris just shook his head, motioning Tao that the other could just continue eating. After awhile, the younger had finished his meal, making Kris calls the waitress for their bill.

 

“I’ll pay fo—“ Tao’s sentence was once again interrupted by Kris’s hand, giving the waitress a 20 bucks.

 

“Keep the change. Consider it as a tip.” He said smiling, walking with the younger outside.

 

“Thank you. We hope you’ll come back soon to enjoy our meal again.” She bowed politely, waving to the other two.

 

Tao looked up to Kris. “You know I could pay right? Why did you do that again?” but then the other lets out an angelic deep laugh. “What’s so funny?” Tao frowns with a small pout on his lips.

 

“You got..” The blonde said, pointing to the corner of his own lips.

 

“Ah?” Tao puckered his own lips, making his eyes crossed, trying to look at the stain. He then sticks out his tongue to them clean, but failed, making Kris once again sounded very lovely.

 

God, this kid is surely cute. Kris thought.

 

“Let me.” He then leaned closer; brushing his thumb to the shorter’s skin, wiping the soy sauce off. Still laughing, he unconsciously his finger, making the younger’s face redden. “It does taste good. Just consider this as a thankful form of your muffin, mmkay? You fed me when I’m hungry, so I did the same. Who made them, by the way, the muffin? That was best.”

 

Tao nodded, looking down as he started to walk along the sidewalk. “M-my granny’s recipe.. B-but I made them though….” Keep stuttering you dimwit. Tao muttered inside his head.

 

“Nice, you mind teaching me someday? My mum loves bakeries.” The younger ones shook his head signaling he doesn’t mind a bit.

 

They then walk to a bus stop. “Hey where do you live? Perhaps we could catch the same bus?” Kris asked again.

 

“No, that’s okay. My apartment is the building at the end of this sidewalk, turning right. I should be good walking alone.”

 

“Okay then,” Kris smiled and saw his bus coming. “Ah! That’s my ride. Guess I’ll catch up with ya later mm?”

 

“Yeah.” Tao pulls the corner of his lips slightly. “Thanks for the meal Kris.”

 

“Sure, careful there. See ya Tao!” He exclaimed, jumping to his bus, the younger waved in return.

 

 

 

 

He’s nice. The two men thought.

 

At least it’s not too lonely for someone to get home alone.

 

---------------------------------------

Author's Note: Double update just because I <3 you guys.

어머리나 555+ views and Taoris shippers are daeyyybak! D:
My story is not confusing is it? You guys love it are you not?

I hope I'm not frustrating >A<

Oui, I have more to come. *giggling like a ZiCat*