Chapter 1

Easter

Yuri should really feel horrible about this, she was paid more than what some people make in their lifetime just to listen to this eccentric man talk about fashion. But instead of listening to what he or she has to say, all her attention was on the rhythmic taps her fingers were making as she drums them on the table.

“Ok, the fashion show is scheduled on the 7th, Sunday.”

Yuri’s attention had finally drifted back into the room.

“I can’t do that.”

“Oh wait… its Easter… Can’t you just stay and work just one Easter?” Jaehyuk, Yuri’s boss wasn’t really asking. He was commanding her. “She would be proud of you, so do it for Yoonhee…”

Yuri’s glares could cut through anything with how sharp she eyed him. Of course he would go that low just to get what he needs. “Everything I do is for her, but for once I want to be with her so she knows it.”

The room was filled with awkward silence, executives giving each other go signals to see who would be next to step up and convince the young executive to stay. But none had the guts too, they all know well that when it comes to Yuri, Yoonhee would always win. End of discussion.

*

Yuri just threw her bags on the hotel floor, showered and didn’t even bother to sleep. Her body was begging her to sleep after being punished by the flight, but she was determined to stay up longer, just so she could see Yoonhee. She was armed with Yoonhee’s favorite flowers, ready to visit her one true love.

But the smile in Yuri’s face turned into a mixture of confusion and chaos as she sees what was happening. There was a girl kneeled down beside Yoonhee’s grave, busy throwing dirt around.

“What the hell?” Yuri never runs but she did right into the girl who’s making a mess beside Yoonhee’s grave. “What the hell do you think you’re doing?”

Yuri let out a small gasp as those doe eyes freeze her at her spot. Nobody’s eyes could paralyze her the way Yoonhee’s can, but this girl did it in an instant. It felt like she was looking right straight at Yoonhee.

But when Yuri’s eyes caught sight of the bird’s nest on top of the girl’s head, she knew that it couldn’t be her. Wait, was that a bird’s nest or is that the girl’s real hair?

“You know baby’s breath is Yoonhee unnie’s favorite flowers so I’m planting it beside her, so she’ll always be happy.”

“I don’t think you can do that…”

The girl with the nest motions Yuri to come closer with her finger, and Yuri curses herself for actually doing what the girl says. Yuri clenches her teeth as she heard the girl’s smartmouth retort.

“I’m already doing it…”

Yuri bolted right up, her teeth grinding angrily. She couldn’t believe that the one time that she could b actually be happy would be easily ruin by this juvenile. But she’s not going to argue back, instead she decides to just walk away, let this idiot do what she wants, and just come back when idiot girl with crazy noodle hair leaves.

“You must be Kwon Yuri.”

Yuri turns back to the girl who was still patting the soil with her hands.

“Ummm yeah…”

“Yoonhee unnie talk about you a lot, you were all she could talk about even if she was dying. I have always wanted to meet you cause she made you sound so fascinating, but you weren’t even there on her funeral.”

Yuri hated the girl more.

“Where were you?”

“It doesn’t matter, it’s over now.”

“Yup. You’re right… it is over. But Geun Suk oppa was there, every step of the way until unnie’s last breath, he was the last one to leave during unnie’s funeral. I wish unnie would have just picked him instead, at least he was there.”

Yuri didn’t knew why this girl infuriated her this much.

“And he’s prettier than you…”

Yuri didn’t wait a second longer and storms away, or else those baby’s breath aren’t the only thing that’s going to get buried right now.

*

Yuri felt like she waited an hour for the girl to return, armed with her little shovel, soil and seedlings… The girl looks like she fell off a ditch but manage to crawl out of it alive. Yuri just laughs, thinking of the girl inside the ditch…

Yuri finally steps out of her car and didn’t pay no attention to the girl kneeled beside her bike. Noodles’ bike looks like it suffered a flat and noodles is thinking how to get it fixed. Yuri should have ignored her, it was revenge at its finest, but she knows Yoonhee wouldn’t like her to do it.

“Your bike has a flat…”

“Oh really? I though they’re just coming up with square tires.”

Yuri could kill the sarcastic brat right now. “If you want I could take you back…”

“Really?” the girl eyes light up and quickly carries her bike.

“Wait… what the heck do you think you’re doing?” Yuri quickly stops the girl, before that sorry looking bike comes anywhere near her luxury car.

“Open your trunk so I could put my bike in.”

“No… your bike stays here.” Yuri demanded.

“But someone might steal it.”

“Trust me… thieves would think it’s an insult to steal that.”

“You’re mean.”

“And you’re an idiot.,. now leave the bike there.”

“NO!”

“It’s a Mercedes benz, I couldn’t just throw a bike in a trunk”

“Well, that’s a waste of money if you can’t put anything in the trunk…”

“I’ll just buy you a new one.” Yuri argued with the choding.

“NO! You can’t buy everything with money, Yuri!”

“That was the same thing that Yoonhee always tells her…

“Fine… then just freeze her to death.” Yuri went back to see Yoonhee, she doesn’t have time to worry about little brats and their crappy bikes.

A sort of relief came out of Yuri when the girl wasn’t there anymore.

But Yuri didn’t even drive far when she sees the girl pushing her bike. Yuri chuckles triumphantly and purposely vrooms in front of the girl. But Yuri’s happiness was cut short when her conscience was screaming at her to go back, telling her that Yoonhee wouldn’t like it. And somehow that did the trick, Yuri will never do anything that Yoonhee wouldn’t agree to.

“God Damn it…”

Yuri quickly made a U turn. She steps out of her car, yanks the damn bike of the girl and throws it on her trunk, all in one motion.

“Now get your in the car.”

*

Yoona’s eyes brighten up as she sees the inside of a car, Yoona felt like she was stepping in a whole new dimension.

Wow… your car is spiffy…”

“And your bike looks like crap.”

Yoona frowns at the other girl. “I saved hard for that bike.”

“Oh that figures…”

“What?”

“Now I know why you have that hair. You’re too cheap to buy a helmet that you use your hair for a helmet”

Yuri felt it was so childish but Yuri relished it when she heard the other girl growls.

“So, what’s your name?”

Im Yoona, Yoonhee unnie is my cousin.”

“Ok..” Yuri was much more focus on the stretch of boring, winding road to care who the other girl is.

“But we are like sisters, she took good care of me.” Yoona’s smile was a picture of both happiness and sadness, happy because memories of Yoonhee always makes her happy, but sad knowing that that’s all they’re ever going to be, just memories. “Does unnie talk to you about me?”

“I think, I can’t remember.” Yoonhee talks about Yoona, but Yuri just don’t have the time or strength to dig into her memories. They’re both tiring and painful.

“She talks about you a lot. I thought she just really cared for you as a friend, but it took some time to make me realize that she just didn’t care, she actually loves you…”

Yuri grips the steering wheel tighter.

“You know that right? That she loves you?”

“She never told me.” Yuri said it coldly…

“If she did, would you have came back to see her?”

Yuri sighs in relief as she they finally arrive to where Yoona was staying.

“This is where you’re staying?”

Yuri looks in disapproval at the sleeping lodge where Yoona was staying. There were drunks howling in laughter by the doorsteps. Leaving Yoona there would be like pushing a doe in a cage of hungry lions.

“I’ll be okay…” Yoona shrugs it off “Thank you!”

Yoona holds on to her little shovel, ready to use it as a weapon just in case these hooligans decided to mess with her. But it looks like the shovel didn’t work because their looks was getting sleazier and sleazier until the heavy set one stood up and ready to take Yoona.

“You’re staying with me.”

Yoona felt a sort of calm drift towards her when she feels Yuri leads her back to the car. She looks back at Yuri nodding thankfully.

*

“Wow…”

Yoona said for the millionth time for the last hour as Yuri took her to her 5 star hotel.

“I didn’t know you were super rich…”

“I’m not. I’m just rich. I’m not super rich… But I will be…”

Yoona frowns at the girl with the cocky grin.

“You could sleep on the couch…” Yuri tells Yoona.

“Ummm thank you. I promise I’ll pay you.”

The girl must be awfully tired because after a few minutes, Yuri could hear snoring… Yuri wished she could go to sleep, but work keeps on hounding her, blasting her phone with texts and phone calls. When suddenly Yuri head a loud thud followed by someone groaning in pain.

Yuri buries her head on the pillow to hide her chuckles as Yoona fell off the couch.

“You ok?”

“Uh-huh…”

Yuri picks up a pillow and stood beside the girl rubbing her head on the floor. “Go to the bed, I’ll sleep on the couch.”

“I can’t do that.”

“Yes you can.”

“You’re right I can…” Yoona looks like a puppy, rolling around in the sheets. But she stops when she realized something. “Hey the bed is big, we could share it.”

Yuri don’t even want to think about it. “No thank you.”

“C’mon… I promise I’ll stay still…”

Yuri really thought it wouldn’t matter if she slept on the couch or the bed, she was too exhausted to think but the bed looks a whole lot more comfortable.

“Fine.”

And Yoona’ stayed still alright, still around Yuri. Yuri growls as Yoona turned her into an involuntary pillow, her arms wrap around the girl.

Yuri throws Yoona’s arms off but it automatically wraps back up again and again and again. Until finally Yuri had had it and was about to scream at the snoring girl

“Uhhh…” Yuri unconsciously gasps as she was inches away from Yoona’s sleeping face. Yuri dreams of Yoonhee every night and as disappointing as it was to wake up all alone, she takes her dreams with her. Anything to keep her close to Yoonhee, to look at her, to touch her, to kiss her.

Yuri felt like she was looking back at Yoonhee, it scared her how the girl was the spitting image of Yoonhee. Her fingertips lightly graze Yoona’s cheek, her lashes, those noses and softly, very softly her lips. Yuri moves a bit closer and lays a feathery kiss on Yoona’s forehead.

“She not’s you but you’re the closest thing I have to holding you. And as pathetic as it sounds I’ll take it. I miss you so much Yoonhee…”

*

Yuri quickly bolted up as she wakes to the sight of Yoona’s scrunch up face.

“I’m hungry…” Said the frowning girl.

Yuri curse under her breath for getting caught with her arms around Yoona.

“Why didn’t you just grab something?”

“I want to but you wouldn’t let go of me.”

Yuri wanted to retort back but stops and just answered Yoona by getting up.

“You’re hungry let’s go…”

*

Yoona’s eyes lights up at the long line of food catered for her.

“There are so many kinds of eggs.” Yoona says in sheer fascination. “Hi…”

Yuri turns away from her phone and stares incredulously at Yoona trying to talk to the waiter.

“Tell your chef that this omelet is the best omelet ever.”

The waiter just smiles and quickly head away, Yuri just shakes her head and returns back to her phone.

“Unnie always tells me that even the smallest compliment could make somebody’s day.”

Yuri felt herself smiling just a fraction, in a way, despite of how painful it is, memories of Yoonhee seems to light up something inside her.

“You don’t have to eat all of them at once, they’re not going to go away.”

“How long can we stay here?”

“As long as you want…” Yuri answers coolly as she sips her coffee.

“That’s all you’re going to eat?” Yoona frowns at the slice of toast, fruit and coffee that Yuri had for breakfast.

“Yup.” Yuri sips while checking more notifs on her phone.

“You have all these food and all you’re going to eat is a piece of toast?” Yoona huffs “You’re so boring…”

“And you have ADHD.”

Yoona wanted to snap back, but she don’t know what ADHD means…

“I have send your bike to get repairs.”

“Oh” Yoona pushes her fancy looking egg gourmet around her plate. “Are you going back to the States?”

“I’m just going to visit Yoonhee one more time.”

Yoona’s eyes light up.

“I’m going alone.” Yuri quickly stated before Yoona could think of something.

“Oh” Yoona says disappointingly and continue to push the egg around. “I want to see if my plant bloom”

“You just planted them yesterday, so I doubt it.”

“Oh okay…”

Yuri should have enjoyed the silence but a part of her miss the annoying voice.

“You know what? Maybe you should come and water those plants.”

And Yuri smiles amusingly as she sees those eyes light up again.

*

Yuri groans as she hears Yoona’s voice over the bathroom wall as the girl shrieks as she showers…

Neomu banjjak banjjak noonee booshyeo no no no no

Yuri was glad that a phonecall could distract her from the awful singing.

“I’m glad you’re back in town, you coming over to visit?”

“Yeah… I think I will… probably before I head back.”

“Oh c’mon Yuwree…” Yuri could hear Tiffany’s voice shifting to aegyo “How about staying for a while?”

“I can’t” Yuri actually could, she just chooses not to. “Oh ummm… I met Yoonhee’s cousin.”

“Oh Yoona!” Yuri frowns as she hears Tiffany’s voice sounded so excited. “Isnt she like the most adorable thing?”

“Are you kidding me? I can’t stand her!” Yuri began to rant “She’s like a freaking Korean Dora the explorer with that huge backpack on her back.”

Yuri could actually hear the amusement on Tiffany’s voice.

“I see that she already got you hook.”

“I want to hook her alright, hook her up in the ceiling.”

Tiffany’s light chuckles infuriated Yuri more.

“Yoona could be quite a character, but I tell you… she has a way with people. We all love her here.”

“She’s an annoying little brat.”

“Well, maybe because she likes you.”

“I hate her.”

“Don’t judge on her yet, Yuri. So, why don’t you two drive over here together? Everybody is here, we all miss you. And maybe you can help out with the wedding.”

Yuri misses everyone too, but staying back home means dealing with more memories. Yoona have made Yuri remember more about Yoonhee than her other trips and right now, Yuri just don’t think her heart is up to it anymore. Missing Yoonhee does nothing but kill her slowly everytime.

“I’m not really the right person for that.”

“I’m not asking you to be a wedding planner, I just want you here for support and just to catch up.”

“I’ll think about it.” It was still a no.

“Oh okay, think about it… By the way Yul, I have to say something to say, just a warning about Yoona.”

“What is it?”

“Be careful you might fall in love.”

“You’re kidding me, right?”

Yuri could only scoff, falling in love is impossible, especially when her heart was buried along with Yoonhee’s.

*

“They didn’t bloom yet…” Yoona pouts unsatisfyingly at her plants or should she say seedlings.

“Maybe the next time you’ll come they will…” Yuri kneeled down beside Yoonhee’s gravestone and place a soft kiss on it. “I’m leaving back for the States in a few days… I love you…” Yuri whispers…

“Why did you wait so long?”

“Huh?”

Yuri turns and sees Yoona’s eyes b with tears, but the girl quickly wipes it away with the back of her arm.

“Didn’t you know that it’s what she have waited for? She always tells me, she doesn’t want you to fall in love with her because she knows she can’t stay long enough to show you how she feels, but I know she waited…”

“It’s too late, Yoona…”

Yuri stood up.

“NO! IT WASN’T! AT LEAST YOU COULD HAVE MADE HER HAPPY BEFORE SHE LEFT!”

Yuri grinds her teeth furiously, she refuses to be judge even she knew that Yoona have every right to be.

“SHE HURT ME TOO!!! SO DON’T COME JUDGING ME LIKE YOU KNOW THE WHOLE STORY!”

“I DON’T NEED TO KNOW THE WHOLE STORY, I SEEN ENOUGH!!! AND I HATE YOU!!!”

Yoona’s eyes blink furiously in tears… “I hate you because unnie gave her whole life loving you and you couldn’t even be there for her! You don’t deserve her, yet unnie always tell me that it’s her who’s undeserving of you… I hate you!”

Yoona shoves Yuri with all her might…

“I HATE YOU!”

Yuri wince as Yoona hits her.

“I hate you! I hate you! I hate you!”

And with every spiteful words, Yoona have coupled it with hits… But Yuri didn’t fight back because she knew she deserve every hit and every I hate you…Probably even more, she deserves to be buried in the grave with Yoonhee. Yoona’s hits have slowed down when both her heart and arms falls in exhaustion. And as much as she hated it, she collapse in Yuri’s chest, soaking Yuri’s shirt with her tears.

“I hate you…”

And Yuri runs her fingers on Yoona’s hair, comforting the wounded girl crying in her arms.

“I hate myself too…”

*

For once in the 48 hours that they were together, there were no petty arguments, no screaming match, instead the whole car ride was filled with deathly silence...

“I’msorryforhittingyou…” Yoona mumbles her apology in one breath.

Yuri just grumbles her forgiveness.

And again the drive remained quiet, Yoona turns back to the road, replaying memories as the scene pass by her.

*

Yoona have always looked up to Yoonhee, even in her weakest days. Yoonhee have lost her color and she was bone thin, but those doe eyes still gleam the same and the smile still looks captivating at ever. And Yoona didn’t have to guess who was making her unnie smile.

“You know what, Yoona?”

Yoona turns her attention back into those glowing eyes.

“Yeah unnie?”

“I’m glad Yuri isn’t here”

Yoona was surprised at those words, the only name she would hear coming out from her unnie was Yuri, Yuri, Yuri… How can Yoonhee not want her when she’s all she talks about?”

Yoonhee just buries her face into her pillow, letting it soak up her tears.

“Because I don’t think I could ever say goodbye…”