Wanting

Himchan's Confession

Himchan woke up the next morning with a warm feeling inside him. He remembered his encounter the day before with the boys from his school. He remembered how he felt as if he was a part of their group rather than an outsider. It's not as if I don't like Leo and Dae Won Himchan thought as he got out of bed, stretching he checked the time 5am... Himchan grabbed a towel from his cupboard before going to get ready so that he could arrive at school before everyone else.

As Himchan sat his desk in class, he stared down at a leaflet he had been reading one more year. Soon they ask us about our future plans Himchan thought as he lowered his head into his hands. Even though he wanted to go to Seoul University, he didn't have any desires, there was nothing he wanted to do other than please his parents. As Himchan watched the clock, waiting for students and teachers to arrive he took the leaflet and pushed it into his bag. Thinking back to the boy with brown hair, Himchan wondered if he had any desires, anything he wanted to be.

Himchan listened to the patter of feet as they began filling the entrance of the school, filling the corridors and the classroom. The loud and endless chatter clouded his minds. Himchan felt a hand on his shoulder, hoping it was the boy with brown hair Himchan quickly spun around in his seat only to see that it was Leo. Himchan released a deep sigh. 

'Eh?! Are you not happy to see me?!" Leo asked as he patted Himchan only the back. Himchan turned around and only nodded. 

"Where is Dae Won?" Himchan asked as he watched Leo sit down. He watched as Leo became tense, scratching his face and his face turning red. Leo lowered his head, enough to make his bangs drop and cover the side of his face.

"He's feeling ill. When I went to his house this morning, he said that he was to sick to attend school" Leo let out a small laugh as he quickly glanced at Himchan and then looked away. Himchan nodded.

"Ah... the teacher is here" Himchan said as he watched the teacher walk in, listening to Leo's sigh beside him. Truthfully Himchan didn't care if Leo was lying or not. He kept thinking about the boy with brown hair and his friends I really want to know their names. I'll ask Leo during break Himchan thought as he tapped his pen against his desk. He remembered that the boys had his school's uniform on so someone must have seen them around.

Himchan watched the clock, waiting for break to start. Counting the minutes and seconds. He closed his eyes, waiting until he heard the sound of the bell. Quickly standing up he slammed his hands against Leo's desk.

"Let's eat lunch together!" Himchan said loudly waiting for Leo's response.

"Oh. Okay" Leo said, shock filling his eyes. "Since yesterday, you've been acting differently" Leo laughed as he stood up and grabbed his bag.

Walking outside to sit at a table, Himchan listened to Leo's meaningless talk, only nodding. Although he invited Leo to eat, his motivation for doing so was different. As they sat down at a table, Himchan watched as Leo took out his lunch box revealing an appealing lunch.

"Aren't you going to eat to?" Leo asked, raising his eyebrow.

"Ah..." Himchan responded as he searched his bag, placing a carton of soy milk down onto the table. Leo laughed. 

"Is that it?!" Leo slapped his hand against his knee. Himchan avoided his question.

"Actually... there's something I want to ask you..." Himchan muttered as he sipped his milk. Leo's head perked up. 

"Go on then..." Leo's face became stern.

"Yesterday some boys from our school asked me too eat noodles but I didn't ask their names. I wanted to know if you knew them..." Himchan began as he watched Leo's obvious interest in his question.

"What are they like?" Leo asked, excited by Himchan's question.

"Umm one has brown hair and a really deep voice, one uses a skateboard too but he has white hair, mmmm ah! the others hair is dyed dark pink too!" Leo watched as Himchan lit up while speaking about the boys he had met. 

"Well, only one of them sounds familiar. The one with the skateboard." Leo replied looking down at his food. 

"Yeah?!" Himchan thought that he was going to jump out of his seat knowing that he could finally learn at least of of their names.

"His name is Zelo, he's in the bottom class. He was the one who had a fight on the first day of school!" Leo answered, putting food into his mouth as he spoke. 

"Ah! Seriously?! That's him?! Wow" Himchan said loudly remembering the short boy who had punched the third year when they had first entered high school.

"It's best to stay away from the Himchan. I heard they are involved in some illegal dealings" Leo warned as he looked up at Himchan.

"Is that so?" Himchan said as he continued sipping his milk. Leo's warning meant nothing to him. He wasn't into rumors or gossiping, he accepted a person by what they showed him.

As break ended, Leo and Himchan returned to their classroom. Returning to his seat Himchan could only be filled with a slight happiness knowing that he'd found out a name. I wonder if they really are involved in illegal dealings Himchan thought as he remembered them being chased, he wondered how long they had been running from the men.

As the bell rang for the end of school and Himchan waved goodbye to Leo. He wondered what it would be like to live life on the edge. He remembered that even though they were being chased, they looked as if they were having fun. Himchan was walking along the path unil he saw a group of boys fighting in the park close to his home. He wondered if he should continue walking or turn around, taking the long route home. He listened as the boys cheered, as if it was an organized fight. Himchan turned around deciding it would be safer to take the long way home.

As Himchan got home and lay on his bed, the only thing that was on his mind was Zelo's name as if I were a chant, constantly repeating over and over again until Himchan closed his eyes and fell asleep.