Sabotage

The Secret Admirer

 

“Can't we just stay in for once?” Hodong suggested, trying out a pout. Jaesuk erupted with laughter, “OH MAN! What the hell was that?! You looked like a pigeon after having its middle finger ridden over by a train!”. Hodong made a face he imagined such a pigeon to have and Jaesuk literally fell to the floor, holding his stomach while he gasped for air. A flock of butterflies took residence in Hodong's stomach, he didn't hate it that Jaesuk found him so funny. He could even go so far as to say that he loved it. Ah, he was in trouble. He was in so much trouble.

 

“Staying in is for old grannies and fugitives, get up of your lazy and put on some clothes!”

 

He didn't much relish the thought of watching Jaesuk pick up some girls that didn't even deserve him. Girls that thought they were doing him a favor by being with him. Well, he needed no favors, it was them that were the lucky ones. Jaesuk was not only a hilarious comedian and great entertainer, but an amazing, caring person and anyone should be so lucky to get to spend even a moment with him. And he was so beautiful and didn't even know it.

 

“Okay, do your magic!” Jaesuk commanded, lifting his drink up high for a toast. There had been no harness strong enough to tie him to the house, so Hodong had given up and gone out with him. And now he was even asking for help to land a woman. Hodong's heart beat uncomfortably, not at all okay with this arrangement. He got an idea, though it might not turn out to be one of his most ethical moments if he went through with it. But the thought of watching the back of Jaesuk as he wiggled his cute little behind up those stairs with some, for the lack of a better description, stuck up capital B that thought she was doing him a solid, completing her one day of charity for the year, it didn't sit right with him. He got angry just thinking about it.

She would get Jaesuk's hopes up only for them to come crashing down the next day. He always kidded around, but deep down Jaesuk was a sensitive soul that just wanted to be loved. And he tried to brush it off and use it for his jokes when people called him ugly, but Hodong knew it hurt him. Of course it hurt him, he was a person like any other. At moments like those, he just wanted to take him into his arms and protect him from the world, while whispering sweet somethings into his ear. Showing him that there was at least one person that appreciated him for all that he was.

 

“It's time to take off the training wheels, this little bird is ready to fly solo.” He patted Jaesuk on the shoulder, giving him an encouraging wink while feeling horrible inside. He couldn't believe he was really going through with this. He knew he was no Mother Theresa, but he would've liked to think he was a better friend than this. But he wasn't.

Jaesuk didn't suspect anything and just stared at him with those innocent intoxicating eyes. “Do you really think I can do this by myself?” Jaesuk asked incredulously. “Positive! Just remember that tone and body language is what sells it. Try this one out 'Are those space pants? Because your is out of this world!'” Hodong advised, the knot of guilt in his gut growing. “What?! That actually works?!” Jaesuk doubted. “Well, you could just come up with one on your own...” Hodong acted like he was slightly offended that he was doubting his great pick up line wisdom, knowing all too well that he was setting him up for disaster.

 

“Okay, okay, I can do this!” Jaesuk punched the air like a boxer getting ready for the match of a lifetime. “Here I go.. wish me luck!” Jaesuk beamed at him, trotting off with a bucket loaded with false confidence. “Luck.” he said a bit too lifelessly, already regretting what he had done.

 

“YOU SAYIN' I'M FAT, YOU CREEP?!?” the woman threw her drink in Jaesuk's face, her hand following suit, giving him a hard slap on the cheek. Ouch, that must've hurt! Hodong thought, asking the bartender for some ice in a rag to help ease the pain. The pain that he had caused. His conscious gnawed at him. Well, he wasn't expecting her to slap him, that had been a twist he hadn't seen coming. Jaesuk shot sparks at him with his eyes as he returned, holding his now flaming red cheek.

“You must've said it wrong...” Hodong offered, putting the ice cold rag up to his cheek. Jaesuk pushed it solemnly away and walked off to the bathroom without saying so much as a word. He looked utterly defeated. Hodong felt like scum, a lowly bottom dweller that didn't have the right to see the light of day. How was he going to set things straight?

 

Oh! He suddenly remembered and dug into his pocket to see if it wasn't still there. The burner phone he had purchased this morning. He wanted to keep messaging Jaesuk but it was too risky with his own phone, what if Jaesuk would find out by accident? So he bought a new unregistered phone to be the new secret admirer phone. That way he could also get messages back, maybe, if Jaesuk wanted to, that was. He felt uncomfortably vulnerable all of the sudden. What if he wouldn't like him? What if the excitement of having a secret admirer wore off after a couple of messages? What then?

 

'I've been thinking about you.'

 

He held his breath and pushed send. Hopefully this would help Jaesuk return to his upbeat delightful self. And like on cue, Jaesuk came dancing out of the bathroom, waving his phone in the air, his face bursting with pride.

 

“I have a number! The secret admirer's number!!” Jaesuk was up in arms with joy and excitement. “Should I send something back?” he asked mischievously, like it was some unspeakable act. Hodong smiled, “Yeah, send her a message.”.