Pick-up Line

The Secret Admirer

They entered a rather tasteful bar Hodong had chosen. Jaesuk had wanted to go to 'The Drunk Duck'. What it was with Jaesuk and bars named after animals Hodong didn't know, but he was pretty sure it wasn't the best way to pick up girls. Jaesuk had been sulking over being bullied to change their destination, but as soon as they entered he got bedazzled by the sparkling decoration and forgot all about it. Hodong chuckled lovingly.

They sat down at the bar and ordered a couple of drinks. “So, as I was saying, you just have to find the perfect pick-up line for each particular girl, reading the atmosphere.” Hodong explained. He doubted Jaesuk would fare well at the art of atmosphere-reading, he always got himself in trouble cracking jokes that rubbed people the wrong way. It was kind of the beauty of him though, Hodong thought. There was no one better at defusing an awkward situation with more awkwardness.

“I don't buy it. Pick-up lines don't work. I've tried it a million times and it always fails, not only alienating the girl, but her friends and every woman within earshot as well.” Jaesuk frowned. Hodong snickered. Jaesuk's face in a frown was too funny, it was impossible to hold a serious conversation with him that way. Jaesuk chucked back the drink in one go. “Dude, don't get hammered, then it'll never work.” Hodong said disapprovingly. “I have to. Rejection is best with whiskey on the rocks!” Jaesuk exclaimed, ordering another one.

 

Two drinks later, Jaesuk was starting to slobber. “Get yourself together man!” Hodong fixed the collar of his shirt. “Come on, it's time to add some rejections to that whiskey or you'll pass out.”. “Hyuuuuung, they don't work.” Jaesuk insisted. “Who?” Hodong asked, not following his line of thinking. “The lines, the LINES!” Jaesuk said dramatically. “Fine, I'll show you. Pick someone.” Hodong said confidently. Jaesuk peered his eyes and stared into the room for a long time. Hodong wasn't sure if he could even see properly. Maybe he had passed out with his eyes open? That wouldn't be the first time.

“Them!” Jaesuk finally said, pointing at the coat hanger in the corner. Wow, had he reached that high a level of drunkenness in such a short time? Even for Jaesuk, that was fast. Jaesuk saw the concerned look on Hodong's face as he stared at the coat hanger and fell over with laughter. “Yeah, coat hangers are my new thing, hadn't you heard?” Jaesuk said snickering and used his hand to turn Hodong's head in the right direction. “You really need to loosen up man, have another drink!” Jaesuk patted Hodong's back. Jaesuk's amount of skinship was bothering him, it was like he felt every little touch double compared to what he normally felt. Why was he being so sensitive?

 

He finished his drink and stood up, entering his bubble of confidence. He walked nonchalantly up to the slightly worse looking one and whispered airily in her ear “See my friend over there? He wants to know if you think I'm cute.”. As he pulled back, he threw in a charming wink. The girl giggled. “Oh my, is your dad a baker?” Hodong asked surprised. “Huh? No.. why?” the girl replied confused. “Cuz you're a cutie pie.” Hodong said with great gusto. The girl went into a fit of giggles. “Do you mind if me and my friend join you?” Hodong nodded slickly in the direction of Jaesuk. Before she had the time to answer, he went over to get him. “Okay, so, don't talk too much. And whatever you do talk about, always give the girl a choice and agree with her answer. That way she feels like she's on the same team as you.” Hodong adviced Jaesuk.

 

Jaesuk walked up to the prettier girl or wobbled would be a more accurate description. “Hi, so.. do you want to go to my place or your place?” he said bluntly. Hodong grabbed his forehead, shaking his head. That guy was incorrigible! “Mine.” the girl answered cheekily, leaving Hodong's jaw on the floor. “Oh wow, I absolutely agree with you.” Jaesuk said, smirking at Hodong. He put his arm around the girl, turning to Hodong and the remaining girl “I guess team Jaesuk will be leaving now. Adieu!” he said and bowed. As they were walking away, Hodong could hear the girl say excitedly “Wah, you can speak a foreign language! Say it again!”. Hodong sighed.

 

Having no interest in the girl that was left, he made his excuses and walked home. It was a long walk and it was brisky outside, but he didn't care. He was feeling kind of blue for some reason. Maybe the fresh air would help. Thinking about Jaesuk on his way to that girl's house made his blood boil. He suddenly realized that he was wishing he was the one taking Jaesuk home. Those tender lips, he longed to meet them again in a soft goodnight kiss.

Hodong played with his phone in his pocket. Should he, shouldn't he? He pushed #1, getting Jaesuk's profile. He chose 'Message' and wrote 'You are more handsome than you think, thanks for making my life brighter.'. Hiding his number from caller ID, he pushed send.