Another Encounter

On Time

“Hello, this is from the customer service, and we have a delivery for Ms. Rin.”

“Ah, please wait a minute,” Choi answers, closing the phone’s speaker. “RIN! Someone’s looking for you!”

“Coming!” she shouts and stops the discussion with Kyunsoo and Cher. Previously, they’re planning to practice on ‘Arwen’s Vigil’ and ‘Moonlight’, but their manager requested to add one more, so they’re going for ‘Vivaldi/Bourne’ right after finishing ‘Arwen’s Vigil’. They’re planning to go safe and play covers first, then create originals. Instantly, Cher stops playing his cello with an awful, out-of-tune sound as the ending.  Both Rin and Kyunsoo flinch at that ear-wrecking noise.

“Goddammit, Cher. What a beautiful sound we have there, eh? You’ve done Vivaldi proud,” she scoffs at Cher, who in returns gives a little bow to them.

“YOON SEO!” Choi shouts once more, his voice resonating through the hallway.

“Aw shut up! I’m coming, alright!” Rin jogs from Cher’s room, passing through the kitchen where Hyun is preparing sandwiches, scrambled eggs, and bacons for breakfast. This week is his turn for preparing the meals since ‘the cooking turn’ always changes every week. Bacon is like their sacred food in the house, and a must for breakfast. Once, they would fight over the remaining bacon in the fridge. So that’s why they’d make sure that bacons are always present in the fridge. However, when it comes to Hyun’s cooking, the smell of his cooking sure make mouths water.

Ignoring the kitchen area, she jogs towards the living room. Snatching the phone from Choi’s hand, she begins speaking to whoever is on the line.

“Hello? Rin’s here. You have some biz with me?”

“Uhmm, we have a delivery of an electronic double-bass for you, miss. Would you like to pick it up by yourself or let our men carry it up for you?” the lady speaks over the phone.

“I suppose picking it up by myself would be a much better idea,” she replies.

“Very well. The package can be picked up at any time you desire, miss. Thank you and have a good day!” the lady replies before shutting down the phone.

Rin, obviously delighted, puts down the phone back to its original place. Her double bass, finally! It got broken since it accidentally fell down when she lost her balance while practicing for their music cover. It also needed some tuning as well, but she was too lazy for that. So when the fingerboard sort of snapped during that practice, she requested for a tuning as well.

“Kyunsoo, Cher! I’m going down to get my precious, so you better get away from my bacons!” she shouts while wearing her shoes.

“Message understood,” Cher shouts back, but she always knows there might be a chance that they will forget her message. It’s bacon, after all. After she closes the door, she can hear Cher playing the cello, now playing the beginning of Gabriel Faure’s ‘Pavane’.

She gets into the lift, and greets the old lady with her little granddaughter. Probably they’re going to have a walk, she thought. Upon reaching the lobby, she says goodbye to them and jogs towards the customer service. There’s a man, dressed in the delivery company’s outfit, waiting for her while holding the double-bass. A yellow tag hangs around the double-bass’s neck, on it written;

Ms. Rin. Floor 12th, #12C.

“Alright, if you can just sign here,” the delivery man inquires while pointing at the blank space of the form. After signing it, the delivery man asks whether Rin was from the famous K-Pop band, in which she says yes. The man’s daughter is a fan of her band, and so, he asks whether he can have a signature of Rin on their EDM album for his daughter. Rin gladly signs the album, and after bowing to her as a form of thank you, she drags her double-bass towards the elevator.

Just as she enters the elevator and about to press the ‘close’ button of the lift, someone shouts, possibly directed to her. “Please hold the door! Hold it!”

Her forefinger quickly press the ‘open’ button while balancing her double-bass with her other hand. With that, a man enters with a duffel bag hung on his right shoulder, dressed in a typical sport outfit. The man lets out a relieved sigh, but when she turns her head to see who it is, she’s surprised to found that the man who dressed in a black sleeveless shirt is Jaejoong. On the other hand, Jaejoong was about to say ‘thank you’ to whoever held the elevator for him, only to realized that the person is Rin.

“You again!?” both of them point at each other, with similar surprised faces.

“Gosh, don’t surprise me like that! What are you? A ghost?” Jaejoong confusedly taunts, half pouting as well. His breathing is hoarse, completed with his wide-opened eyes.

“I might add as well that I’m pure human,” Rin smirks, causing Jaejoong to nudges her arm. Meanwhile, he stares at the double-bass that she had been holding. It’s definitely bigger than her body, and again, why would she need this for?

“What? You’ve never seen a double-bass before?” she teasingly asks, looking at Jaejoong’s observant look.

“No, I’ve seen one. But why would you need this for?”

Ding!

“Ah, it’s floor 12th,” she turns her head, looking at the screen. “I guess I’ll see you around—“

“Let me help you with that,” he suddenly speaks up, pushing himself to stand up and grips the upper bout of the double-bass, slightly lifting it up. He then looks over the tag that hangs around the neck and grins.

“No! You don’t have to, really. This is not as heavy as you think it is,” she shakes her hand, but is then stopped by Jaejoong.

“At least let me make it up to you. You helped me before, now it’s my turn!” he hauls her double-bass, unconsciously dropping his duffel bag aside, and run ahead of her while sticking out his tongue at her.

“HEY! Come back here, you pesky man!” Rin picks up his duffel bag, and runs after him.

After what seems like forever, she is finally able to catch Jaejoong who had placed the double-bass in front of the door. However, her foot slips since she carries his duffel bag, causing her to fall. Upon seeing her fall, Jaejoong quickly catches her. Both fell down, with Rin on top of him.

“Agh!” she grunts, finally realize that she landed on top of Jaejoong’s chest. Lifting herself up, she felt slightly embarrassed by their position right now. She can almost smell his scent this close. Jaejoong and she both lock their eyes in confusion. He then becomes the first one to break the awkward silence between them, as he flinches a bit when he tried to stretch his back.

“My God, does your back hurt?” she asks while furiously checking her contact lens’ presence and clambers off from him at the same time. If one of them is gone…no, she would not let that happen. Again.

“N-No, this is nothing…,” he answers, rubbing his back and hisses in pain once he does so.

Feeling guilty, she kneels beside him and lifts his arm, trying to lift him whilst standing up. Due to their weight difference, however, she stumbles a bit with her right knee almost knocking the double-bass.

“I’m really sorry, but you have to get some attention regarding to your bruised back, I’m afraid,” she grunts, knocking the door like a mad woman.

“Who’s there?”

“It’s Rin here! Please just open the door,” she commands, trying to balance herself and him at the same time.

The door clicks open, revealing Kyunsoo opening the door with one hand and holding a cup with smoke arising from the mug on his other hand. First looking half sleepy, now he looks like as if his eyeballs are going to pop out.

“Goodness, Rin! Who’s this guy? Oh, now you’re bringing a guy home?” he speaks while his hand reaches for the side table near the door to put down the mug.

“Doesn’t matter, pretty boy. I’ll explain it later. Now don’t just stand there!” she says, almost yelling, beginning to feel the numbness on her shoulder. “Do I look like I need a joke right now?”

Without wasting any second, he quickly kneels down and she transfers Jaejoong’s arm to Kyunsoo. Though he keeps on resisting that his back is perfectly fine, that, however, doesn’t convince Rin at all. Judging from his expression, that’s what. With Kyunsoo pulling him in, she takes the double bass and Jaejoong's duffel bag in, then closes the door with her leg.

-

“Your contact lenses, Rin. They’re not gone, aren’t they?” Kyunsoo suddenly asks her after he settled beside her. Meanwhile, Jaejoong had taken off his shirt so she can apply some ointment on Jaejoong’s presumably bruised back. When he thought that she would stare at his beautifully curved body like how the other girls would, she did not. Instead, she stoically says nothing other than opening the ointment’s lid.

Her hand pauses on Jaejoong’s shoulder blades. “Would you mind checking it out for me?”

“I thought you can check it by feeling it on your eyes?”

“I’m not sure about that, though. I just want to make sure that they’re there.”

Kyunsoo then takes out a small flashlight, and turns his head to Jaejoong. “Can I borrow her for a bit?”

“Ah, sure,” he replies with a hint of curiosity. Meanwhile, Kyunsoo lifts her chin with one hand, and directs a dimly-lighted flashlight onto her eyes.

“Excellent. They’re there, alright,” he lets go of her chin and put away the flashlight onto his pocket. “But I think it’s better if you wear the glasses now. Contact lenses aren’t always good, you know.”

Rin pouts at him, but gives up after knowing that she will not win this argument. Before standing up, however, she turns to Jaejoong. “I’m really sorry for what I did to you. That’s was rude of me.”

“Nah, it was nothing,” he smiles while rubbing his neck.

“You can have breakfast with us, if you want. Hyun can cook an extra plate for you.”

“Y-yah! Rin!” Hyun screeches, causing all of them to laugh. “He can have the extra sandwich, but I’m not gonna cook another slice of this heavenly bacon!”

“Who says you have to cook bacon, eh?” Rin yells back jokingly.

“No! It’s okay, you don’t have to,” Jaejoong says to Rin.

“I insist, since you went into trouble on bringing the bass and I caused your bruised back, yes?” she says, turning her heels towards her room. “I’ll be back!”

After she’s gone, it’s Jaejoong’s turn to face Kyunsoo, who’s about to join the others for breakfast. He goes straight away on the question whilst still keep his eyebrows furrowed. “What is wrong with her eyes?”

Kyunsoo stares at him with such surprise. “I thought she considered you as a friend already?”

“I think so?” he answers with scratching his head. “Why?”

“Well, then it depends on whether she will tell you or not,” Kyunsoo says, patting Jaejoong’s back in defeat. “For us, it took her almost 1 month to finally tell us her secret. It was not that usual small secret whatsoever, and that’s why it took her a long time to tell us.”

“Whoa, really? That long?”

“Yeah. It was unbelievable, but at least understandable,” he says while sipping from his mug.

“Why is that so, Kyunsoo-sshi?” Jaejoong says while fixing his shirt back in place.

“But I’m sure she will tell you, when the time is right,” he finishes before hearing a creaking sound coming from Rin’s door. Apparently, she was looking for her glasses, judging by her unchanged appearance except with additional glasses that rests above her nose.

“Alright! Let’s have breakfast!” she exclaims in delight, and her gaze falls on Jaejoong while she walks closer to him. “And you. You’re coming with us for breakfast!”

“Seriously, Rin, there’s no need to—“

“Aw come on, Jaejoong-sshi! We have hot chocolate for today!” Cher, the maknae, yells over. He knows exactly that ‘no one can resist chocolate, not even Hitler’ as he exactly quoted long time ago. Upon hearing the sound of ‘chocolate’, Jaejoong abruptly stands up in front of her, followed by Kyunsoo who still enjoys his hot drink.

“You win this time, woman,” he grins cheekily at her as both Kyunsoo and Rin guides him to the dining table.

-

“So, are you free for tonight?” Jaejoong suddenly asks out of the blue.

Rin quietly nudges Kyunsoo’s arm. “Do we have anything to do for tonight?”

“Hmm. Not really, aside from watching Top Gear or probably arranging some pieces for our next project,” he answers while rubbing his lips with his fingers. “Although we will be busy starting tomorrow.”

“I see,” he says, forking another scrambled egg into his mouth. “Then, do I have the permission to take her out for tonight?”

“Ooh. What for, Jaejoong-sshi?” Choi remarks, his eyes darting at Rin playfully. In return, she glares at him.

Jaejoong flashes a smile at her, attempting to flirt with her. When she shows no sign of interest, he bluntly says it in front of them.

“I want to take her out for dinner.”

 


Chapter 3's done! For the songs that I listed, 'Arwen's Vigil', 'Moonlight', and 'Vivaldi/Bourne' are originated from ThePianoGuys, except that 'Vivaldi/Bourne' is titled 'Code Name: Vivaldi' in their channel. Go check them out! They got other amazing MVs as well! ;D

Please tell me what you think about this chapter! :) And please do subscribe!