Third-Wheel

(i) Memories of Our Babyhood
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“uhh… hi!” Siwon neared himself to the slightly shorter boy.

 

“hi!” The boy stopped playing with the sand to look at the new comer, “I’ve never seen you before. Are you new here?”

 

“Yeah. I just moved here. I’m Siwon. I’m 4!”

 

“Ohh!!!! I’m 4 too!!!! Let’s be friends!!!!”

 

“Ok,” Siwon was a little shy, “what’s your name?”

 

“Oh silly me, I forgot to tell you my name.” The boy giggled, “Donghae. Lee Donghae.”

 

“Oh hi Donghae!” Siwon waved his hands frantically.

 

“Here,” Donghae handed his new friend a plastic shovel, “do you know how to make a sand castle?”

 

“I never really tried. My mom doesn’t like me playing with sand. It’s pretty dirty.”

 

Donghae’s eyes widened. He didn’t know. He had been playing with sand since – he can’t even remember since when. Making sand castles was like his favourite thing to do at the playground. That’s until Hyukjae comes, of course. Cause once the latter is with Donghae, he’s willing to do or play anything.

 

“Well,” Donghae broke the awkward silence, “ummm, I guess we could play on the slide for a while. It’s going to be meet-hyukkie-time soon.”

 

“What time?” Siwon tried to concentrate, his shibrows furrowed.

 

“meet-hyukkie-time.” The slightly younger boy stated as though it was an obvious thing.

 

“meet-hyukkie-time? What is that?”

 

Donghae’s eyes widened. Again. This new boy really has a lot to learn.

 

“It’s when you meet your best friend. Don’t you have a meet-hyukkie-time?”

 

“Well, I do have a best friend. But I don’t think I can meet him soon. Mom said I have to be 8 years old before I could meet Kibum again.”

 

“Oh wow. That’s like… a long time.” Donghae had initially tried to count -with his fingers - how long that would have taken. But realising that he didn’t really know numbers more than 10, he gave up.

 

“Hae~~~~” Hyukjae’s voice was loud enough for all the other children on the playground to turn around.

 

“Hyukkieeee…..” Donghae ran towards his best friend, but stopped half way, “you’re late!” He pouted.

 

“Sorry, mom had to send Sora noona to my grandma’s house first.”

 

The two walked towards the slide area, where Donghae introduced Siwon.

 

“Hyukkie, this is Siwon. He’s new here.”

 

“hi Siwon,” Hyukjae initiated a handshake. He had seen his parents do it before and he wanted to appear as a grown up in front of this new comer.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter