The Box

(i) Memories of Our Babyhood
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hi readers. for those asking if this is "complete".. well, not really. i just marked it as complete because it is one-shots. but i wil continue to update.

This chapter is a little angsty... 

My grandad passed away today in the morning. so I was just inspired by it. 

RIP grandad...

 

-----

"Look up there. What do you see?"

The 5 year old squinted his eyes as he tried to focus his gaze at the sky.

"I see clouds"


"Look again" Hyukjae instructed

"I don't know. What do YOU see?" Donghae asked him back.

"Mommy said that my grandpa went up there. And that he's now watching me"

"Huh? Cool!!! How did he get up there?" Donghae was amazed, oblivious to his friend’s mood.

"I don't know Hae. But I don't feel good about it. I want him next to me. Not watching me from all the way up there"
 

Donghae turned his gaze away from the sky to look at Hyukjae.


"Don't worry. I'll get you up there. We can go together. We can see him and tell him to come back with us. Okay?" The little boy placed his arm on the shoulders of his friend. He tried his best to comfort Hyukjae.

"Hae..."

"Yes hyukkie..."

"Don't go without me!"

Donghae looked taken aback. Because everyone knew that he couldn't go a step without his Hyukjae.

"I promise. We'll go together."

-----

The two boys stood up from the ground and made their way back to Hyukjae's house. It was a dull day. The usually cheery family was quiet. Donghae's mom was always beside Hyukjae's mom - uttering words of comfort.

Hyukjae, too, sensing the change of mood in the house, became gloomy. As soon as the two boys entered the house, Hyukjae made way to his room - expecting his friend to follow him and do what they always did together - play. But truth be told, he wasn't in the mood. He just didn’t want to affect Donghae with his mood. But when he turned around to suggest a game of 'dead fish', the younger boy wasn't there.

Donghae was seated on the floor, right in front of his and Hyukjae's mom on the couch. He was careful and was itching to ask them a question. But Hyukjae's mom looked so fragile and he was scared that the very sound of his small voice would break her. Nevertheless, he had to do somehthing. After all, Hyukjae was sad. Hyukjae wanted his grandpa and it was Donghae’s job to get him back. Or at least try.

He remained seated, his neck slightly strained from observing the two ladies on the couch. He opened his mouth several times but no words came out. This time, he tried again.

"Mom," both ladies looked at him, "I was just wondering...How could I go up there?"

"What do you mean honey?" Hyukjae's mom asked while she gestured for Donghae to sit on her lap.

"It's just that, Hyukkie said his grandpa is up there now," Donghae pointed upwards, "but he wants his grandpa to be with him. So I was thinking, if we go up there too, we could, you know, talk to him and

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter