Learning the Time

(i) Memories of Our Babyhood
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It was already 11 at night - way past his bedtime. Hyukjae had been sent to sleep at Donghae’s house due to his parents’ decision to renovate.

 

*flashback*

 

When he heard of the sleepover he’ll be having at his best friend’s house, Hyukjae was elated and couldn’t stop jumping. He began to pack his things – all of which were toys. Being barely 4 years old, no one can blame him for not packing his clothes. Of course, this didn’t go unnoticed by his mom, who merely smiled and repacked everything her son had shoved into his new Pororo bag.

 

“Hyukkie honey, are you that excited to leave me?”

 

“It’s just for one week mom!”

 

She smiled a motherly smile. Yes it was only for one week. But she knew she would miss her little boy as soon as he steps out of the house. She’ll miss how hyper he is when he wakes up. She’ll miss him trying to open the refrigerator to find his carton of strawberry milk. and most importantly, she’ll miss finding him cuddling to her every morning when she wakes up.

 

“Alright honey, Donghae’s mom will be here anytime now.”

 

*end of flashback*

 

Hyukjae was restless. It was his first time sleeping over at someone else’s house and he was, indeed, very sensitive to his surrounding. He looked over to his right, where a sleeping Donghae lightly snored. He noted how cute the younger boy looked when he slept. His small nose and small pouty lips seemed so perfectly positioned on his petite face.

 

Then Hyukjae remembered how Hae is when he is awake. Loud, hyperactive and…loud!

Hyukjae simply shrugged and whispered, “why can’t you always be this quiet?”

 

Hyukjae tossed and turned and tossed some more. Sleep just wouldn’t claim him. Just a few minutes ago, the two boys were talking about pirate ships and aliens and the jungle no one has even heard of, but before Hyukjae was able to finish his explanation of how the dinosaur went into extinction, Hae already fell asleep. What could he possibly do now?

 

Carefully, Hyukjae took off his blanket and climbed over the sleeping angel beside him. He didn’t know what to do, but the obvious first step was to get out of the bed. His feet wiggled in the air for a while as he struggled to reach the floor. And when he did, he did a small celebratory dance – mission accomplished.

 

He looked to his right and his left in an attempt to find something interesting. But all he found were stuffed animals toys.

 

“What a baby.” He scoffed.

 

Just then, he heard a ruffling noise coming from the bed and noticed that Donghae was talking, mumbling, something in his sleep. Hyukjae walked nearer and listened intently.

 

“mmm..m..more…” Donghae whispered

“Hae?” Hyukjae tried to wake the younger boy

“m..mmore…

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter