The New Comer

(i) Memories of Our Babyhood
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I'm sorry for the random angst story yesterday. I don't know what came over me. 

Here's another one. 

and i would just like to give a BIG shoutout to the subscribers and to those who comment... really, you guys don't know how much i like reading comments. 

Wish me luck, i have an exam tomorrow :)

---------

 

In a dark corner made of pillows, Donghae sat, secluding himself from the world. He was angry. No, that was an understatement. He was furious. His best friend had not been paying attention to him for days now. Since he received the present from his uncle, Hyukjae had spent all his time with the new toy. Even in day care, when their parents dropped them off before work, Hyukjae would only say ‘hi’ then go to his corner in the room and play by himself. But today, when Donghae was sent to Hyukjae’s house after day care, he confronted the latter again.

 

Donghae had tried to ask Hyukjae to play with him. Or just to show him what that ‘thing’ was. But Hyukjae refused.

 

“oh come on… I won’t bweak it. I pwomise” Donghae tried to use his round puppy eyes to his advantage.

 

“No Hae. You bwoke the other pwesent”

 

“but that was ages ago.”

 

“it was last week.”

 

“See? Ages ago.”

 

Hyukjae shook his head and resumed to play on his new portable game device.

 

Being in Hyukjae’s house, Donghae didn’t have much of his toys with him. And he wasn’t the type to play with guns or trucks. He suddenly misses his soft Nemo plushy.

 

In his pillow corner, Donghae sat, cross legged, his tiny hands cupping his face. He waited, and waited for any sort of attention.

 

Usually, when Donghae is upset, he will build this pillow fort and Hyukjae would come to comfort him in a matter of seconds. But these days, it was different. Donghae could feel that their friendship is changing. He knows that the new comer, the third wheel, the antagonist of his life is trying to steal his hyukkie away. And in the dimly lit corner of pillows, Donghae sighed.

 

He waited.

 

And waited.

 

“Kids. Time for dinner,” Donghae heard Hyukjae’s mom calling them, “Hyukjae darling, come. It’s dinner time.”

 

Donghae can hear her footsteps getting closer and he can hear Hyukjae snatching back his game from his mom – only to get a scolding from her.

 

“Hyukjae, be a good boy and stop playing with this for a while. You have to eat!”

 

Donghae can’t see or hear anything else after that. But he smiled. He was so tempted to push away the pillows and give hyukjae’s mom a big hug for being on his side – for trying to take down the third-wheel of his and hyukjae’s friendship. But he remained in his dark corner.

 

“Now where is Hae?” Hyukjae’s mom asked

 

Donghae didn’t hear anything but a moment later, Hyukjae’s face greeted him through the small crack of space between the pillows.

Slowly, the fort was being taken down and Donghae was exposed to the rest of the room.

 

“Come on, Hae, mom says it’s dinner time.”

 

The two boys walked towards the dining table, both upset for different reasons. Hyukjae: not being able to play, and Donghae: because of Hyukjae’s lack of attention.

 

When dinner was over, Donghae tried to speak to his friend again. But, as expected, the gaming device distracted the other.

 

Donghae went home that night, feeling upset.

 

At day care, the next day, Donghae decided to ‘fight fire with fire’. He brought his Nemo p

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter