Like This?

(i) Memories of Our Babyhood
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Like this?”

 

“Yeah, all the big kids do it.”

 

Hyukjae and Donghae were on the corner of the street, hesitating whether to cross the road from here, or walk a few metres more to where the zebra crossing was.

 

“But Mommy said we should never, ever do this.” Donghae stated while his little index finger gestured a ‘no’ sign.

 

“Do you want to be a big kid?”

 

“Well, yeah. I don’t want to be 5 anymore. You’re already 6. It’s...It's not fair.”

 

“So just follow me okay?”

 

“Are you sure?”

 

“Do you trust me?”

 

Donghae squinted his eyes and rubbed his head with his little hands. Honestly, he didn’t know what ‘trust’ meant.

 

"I ... I...I don’t know. L..L...Last time, you got me in trouble for drawing in Siwon's bible,” Donghae fidgeted.

 

“But you felt like a big kid after that, right?” Hyukjae widened his eyes in anticipation.

 

“Well...m...m...maybe. Fine. Alright. I’ll follow you.”

 

 

 The 5 year old and the 6 year old looked to their right and left before slowly making their first step across the road. Donghae was having a hard time walking since he was carrying both his and Hyukjae’s bag. They have just exited from their Kindergarden and managed to escape their teacher’s constant reminder to wait for their parents.

 

“Hyukkie….”

 

“What?” Hyukjae turned around to look at the slightly younger boy.

 

He was about to tell Donghae to walk faster, because, despite him denying it, he was a little scared that they didn’t use the zebra crossing. But looking at Donghae, his face covered with Hyukjae’s bag, Hyukjae giggled. He made his way to his friend and took the bag off him.

 

“Silly boy.”

 

“I can carry it.” Donghae screamed in defense, “My bag is a bit heavy. But yours isn’t. I can carry yours.”

 

Hyukjae took Donghae’s bag off his shoulders and exchanged it with his.

He saw no point of doing this. Donghae could have just carried his ow

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter