CH4: Becoming Friends

MISFITS: 사랑한다면 이들처럼

 

 

Amber groggily sat up in her bed rubbing her eyes from sleep. She looked over to the side table to see that it was eight in the morning; she had her first class in an hour. Yawning and stretching she walked out of her bedroom and made her way to the bathroom. At the same time another sleepy head also exited her room to head to the bathroom. Walking with closed eyes, Amber wasn’t able to see Krystal as she walked right front of her. The two bodies crashed into one another ending with the two flat on the floor with Krystal on top of the shorthaired girl.

“Aish, what the hell…” Krystal whined annoyed as she opened her eyes and came face to face with a red faced Amber below. Krystal quickly drew her face back and sat up but quickly blushed when she realized she was straddling the other girl.

“Well, hello there you two…” The two girls on the floor turned their heads to see Sulli staring at them with wide eyes. She shook her head while letting out a small chuckle while wiggling her eyebrows. “Good morning indeed.”

“Uhm… c-can you, uh-“ Amber stuttered out as she looked up at Krystal who was still straddling her. Sulli had already walked into the bathroom leaving the two alone in their awkward position.

“Oh! I am so sorry.” Krystal quickly apologized and stood up. She ran her hand through her hair and blew out a nervous laugh. “I didn’t see you walking… sorry about that.”

“No it’s fine.” Amber replied back with her own nervous laugh. She pretended to dust her basketball shorts and kept her head down. “I-I’m just gonna go uh change. Yeah.”

“Yeah… good idea uh me too.” Krystal nodded her head avoiding looking at the other girl and walked back into her room closing the door behind her. Amber followed after and entered her own room.

The rest of the morning was awkward between the two teenage girls. Sulli on the other hand was having too much fun watching them awkwardly maneuver through the kitchen to make some cereal.

“Uhm sorry.” Krystal muttered when she accidentally bumped into Amber as she tried to reach for the box of cereal.

“No, s-sorry. It’s fine.” Amber quickly cleared before handing her the cereal box. Their hands brushed as Krystal reached for the box making them both blush at the contact.

“Yah!” Krystal yelled when Sulli walked into the kitchen and purposely pushed the shorter girl into Amber making her spill her milk.

“Oops, sorry. In a rush, gotta get to class. See you two later.” Sulli said winking at Krystal before walking out. Amber oblivious to the act bent down with a napkin and started wiping the spilt milk.

“I am so sorry.” Krystal apologized with a deep breath as she grabbed some more tissues before bending in front of the shorthaired girl to help her. “God, you probably think I’m a klutz.”

“No, I don’t think you’re a klutz at all. Don’t worry. Once you get to know me more, you’ll realize what a true klutz is.” Amber said laughing. Krystal looked up and her heart did a small flip when she saw Amber’s sweet eye smile. She quickly looked away when she felt her face heat up once again. Her eyes widened when she saw the clock above the other’s head.

“Oh shi-I’m going to be late for class.” She panicked and stood up to grab her stuff. “I’m sorry, Amber. I gotta get to class and-“

“No it’s fine, go ahead.” Amber said waving her to go on with a smile. “I’ll clean it up. You should go before you’re late.”

“I’ll see you later then.” Krystal said with a small nod before turning and hurriedly leaving.

“Yeah. See ya.” Amber whispered watching the girl leave with a stupid grin on her face.

After cleaning up her mess, she also started panicking when she realized that she was already ten minutes late for her first class. Cursing loudly she ran to her room and grabbed her skateboard and backpack. Once out of her dorm building she looked at her school map still not knowing the place well enough.

“You gotta be kidding me.” Amber exasperated when she realized her first class was on the other side of the campus. She quickly hopped onto her board and sped off. She started pushing her board faster when she saw the building of her destination. However, not a second later she felt her body fly off of her board and land face first on the cold pavement.

“Umph, ow.” The shorthaired girl grunted lifting herself off the ground into a sitting position. She grabbed at her chest when she felt a slight stinging pain erupt for a second. She looked behind her and saw a guy rolling over to his side grunting in pain. She walked up to the person once she felt her chest settle down and chuckled when she saw her best friend. “Yah, squishy are you trying to kill? Why didn’t you tell me you were back?”

“Amber?” The guy’s eyes widened when he saw his best friend. He quickly got up and gave her a tight hug. “I just got back at five this morning. I’m so glad to see you again! Vacation .”

“I’m glad to see you too, Kyungsoo-ah.” Amber said laughing patting the shorter boy’s back. “So what made you want to jump in front of me like that?”

“I didn’t jump in front of you!” Kyungsoo defended rubbing the arm he landed on. “I was trying to find my class. Maybe if you weren’t riding around like a wild maniac you would’ve seen me.”

“Oh really?” Amber laughed. “What class do you have right now?”

“Uh, Music Composition and Writing.” Kyungsoo replied reading his class schedule.

“Oh cool! Me too.” Amber said excitedly throwing an arm around his shoulder. “We can be late together, let’s go!”

“I think you should wash your chin first…” Kyungsoo said as he stared at Amber’s bleeding chin. He took out a handkerchief from his pocket and handed it to her.

“Aw man…” Amber mumbled when she touched her wet chin and seeing blood on her fingertips. She held the handkerchief to her chin as it continued to bleed. “Thanks, squishy.”

“No problem, Koala.” The two laughed and walked together into the building. Amber continued to cover her chin with one hand while the other held her skateboard as the two walked to their class. The two looked at one another and took a deep breath before quietly entering the large room. The professor stopped talking after hearing the door squeak open and looked over at the two teens making everyone turn to them.

“You two are late.” The professor said with a disapproving tone. “Let me guess… Mr. Do Kyungsoo, son of famous scientists SukWon and Baek JiYoung… and Ms. Amber Bi, daughter and youngest child of Rain Bi. Seems like Eru isn’t the only rain child I’ll have in this class then.”

“Sorry, we got lost.” Kyungsoo answered for both of them as they bowed to the teacher. Amber looked around the room and found her older brother looking at her with a worried expression but she ignored him. At the other side of the classroom was Krystal with a raised eyebrow looking at her questioningly.

“What happened to your chin Ms. Bi?” The professor asked startling Amber out of her daze.

“Oh uh, I accidentally ran into Kyungsoo and flew off my board on my way here.” Amber said slightly embarrassed. Soft giggles could be heard from the girls in the room making Amber even more embarrassed.

“Well, alright then. Take your seats… I’m Mr. Choi DongWook by the way. But in this school everyone just calls me seven.” The professor stated as the two walked into the back of the room where two empty seats were available.

“Why?” Kyungsoo asked whispering to Amber as they sat down. She just shrugged letting out a chuckle not knowing either. She then turned her head to the left to look at Krystal who was now listening to the professor in the front. She smiled to herself feeling happy knowing they had a class together.

 

☰✖

 

“Let me see your chin.” L said gingerly tilting Amber’s head up to look at her scabbed over chin. Amber just pushed his hand away. Class had just ended and people started pilling out of the rooms filling the hallways.

“I’m fine L. It’s already healing pretty fast.” Amber said annoyed as she continued to walk looking ahead at the students pilling in the hallway for a certain person.

“If dad sees that he’s going to kill me. Is your chest okay? Breathing okay? Nothing else happened when you fell off right?” L asked grabbing Amber’s arm. Amber just shook her head while rolling her eyes at L. “Aish, your chin looks disgusting. Let me heal it.”

“No!” Amber quickly pulled her face away when L put his hand over her chin. “Dad said no using powers.”

“You know… I’ll never get over how you guys can do that type of stuff.” Kyungsoo said as he watched the two siblings argue. “Like I’m still trying to deny the fact that you guys have these weird powers.”

“Shouldn’t you be trying to find Kai or something?” L asked the shorter boy giving him a skeptical look.

“Shouldn’t you… shouldn’t you be doing something else like being less annoying!” Kyungsoo shot back but failing miserably. Amber face palmed herself and pulled Kyungsoo away from her older brother.

“Let’s go before you embarrass yourself even more.” Amber muttered dragging Kyungsoo and walking away from her brother.

“Yah!” L shouted down the hallway just as Amber and Kyungsoo rounded the corner.

“So annoying.” Kyungsoo mumbled as he straightened out his clothes. He looked towards his best friend to see that she was looking around everywhere. “Are you looking for somebody?”

“Huh?” Amber asked not really paying attention to anything Kyungsoo was saying.

“I said are you looking for someone?” Kyungsoo asked repeating himself but this time louder.

“Yeah…” Amber continued to look around curiously. “Just my dorm mate.”

“Kyungsoo-ah!” A loud excitedly male voice called out down the courtyard. Amber and Kyungsoo looked towards the direction the voice came from and spotted an excited Kai running at them at full speed.

“Ah!” Kyungsoo yelled when the figure picked him up in a bone-crushing hug. “Kai, put me down!”

“Why didn’t you tell me you were back?” Kai asked once he put the smaller boy down back on his feet.

“Just got back this morning.” Kyungsoo whined when he heard his back crack. Kai kept an arm around Kyungsoo’s waist as he looked over to his baby sister.

“What happened to your chin, Ber?” Kai asked noticing Amber’s chin. He went to examine it but Amber quickly pushed him aside when she saw the familiar girl she was looking for earlier.

“Nothing. I’m gonna go… I’ll uhm, talk to you guys later, yeah? Bye squishy!” Amber said quickly making her way towards where she spotted the girl. Hopping onto her board she skated until she was right next to the girl before getting off and walking.

“Hey, Krystal.” Amber shyly said catching the other’s attention.

“Hey, Amber.” Krystal quietly laughed seeing the other girl beside her. She then eyed the dry blood on her chin. “That looks rough.”

“I’ve had worse. My friend Kyungsoo and I always get into accidents when we’re together. It’s kind of our thing.” Amber said touching her chin gently and wincing when a tingle of pain ran through her. “Told you I’m a true definition of a klutz.”

“I see that.” Krystal said giggling. Amber felt her heart flutter at the angelic sound.

“Right… so do you have anymore classes today?” Amber asked trying to break the awkwardness slowly building around them.

“No, actually I don’t. I have one class on Mondays.” Krystal answered back. “Why?”

“Great. I was just wondering if maybe you’d want to grab lunch with me or something. I-I have one class on Mondays too.” Amber replied back nervously scratching the back of her head. “You know, since we’re going to be around each other often being dorm mates and stuff, maybe we should get to know each other. And to make up for the awkwardness this morning.”

“Get to know each other?” Krystal asked with a raised brow while biting her lower lip.

“Yeah.” Amber quickly replied back with a light cough. “Get to know each other and be friends. That is… only if you want to, of course.”

“I’d love to, Amber.” Krystal said laughing at the other girl’s nervous act. “But you’re buying my lunch if you want to be friends.”

“Deal.” Amber said smiling brightly at the longhaired girl.

 

☰✖

 

“Aish, watch where you’re going.” L mumbled when he felt someone run into his shoulder. He took off his headphones and looked at the culprit who continued to walk while looking down at their phone. He grabbed the person’s elbows and turned them to face him. “Yah, don’t you know how to say sorry when you bump into someone!”

“What?” Sulli asked a little shocked when she came face to face with L. “Am I obligated to say sorry because you’re Rain Bi’s kid? I bumped into you, it’s not like I pushed you. You weren’t looking where you were going either so if I apologize I expect one back!”

“What?! Why you-” L started to say and move into the shorter girl but was quickly pulled away by Kai who had witnessed the scene down the hallway and made a dash for them when he saw his brother start to get mad.

“I’m sorry, my brother has a really bad temper sometimes.” Kai apologized bowing to Sulli.

“Or all the time.” Kyungsoo added as he stepped up next to Kai. Kai elbowed the shorter boy glaring at him for his response.

“Hmph, I don’t need to be a genius to figure that out.” Sulli mumbled glaring at L who was glaring right back at her.

“You just pretty much called yourself stupid. Stupid.” L scoffed out before walking past her not forgetting to bump into her shoulder harshly.

“Yah!” Sulli screamed out once he started walking away. Kai sighed shaking his head while looking down at the ground. Just at that moment Taemin came walking through the hallway.

“What’s with the screaming Ssul?” He asked when he reached a furious looking Sulli.

“That freaking rude, just gah!” Sulli yelled frustratedly shaking Taemin’s shoulders. Feeling dizzy after about the tenth rough shake, Taemin pulled himself away.

“Oh my gosh, stop.” He told her while holding his head and closing his eyes. “I think you just made my brain into a smoothie.”

“I’m sorry about him. I’ll tell him to say sorry to you. He just has too much pride and he’s just a big head.” Kai said stepping up, apologizing to Sulli. Taemin’s froze  when he noticed that his dorm mate was in the hallway with them.

“It’s not your fault so don’t apologize for him.” Sulli said shaking her head.

“Hi, I’m Kyungsoo.” Kyungsoo said butting in looking towards the two other teenagers. Taemin and Sulli both looked at him before smiling politely.

“I’m Taemin, Kai’s dorm mate.” Taemin said bowing lightly.

“I’m Sulli.” Sulli said following Taemin’s actions and bowing as well.

“So what class do you guys have now?” Kyungsoo asked the two.

“I don’t have any classes today.” Taemin answered.

“Why’re you in here then?” Kai asked staring at Taemin curiously.

“I’m looking for my sister.” Taemin said meeting Kai’s eyes.

“Oh okay. Understandable.” Kai said smiling sweetly at the other boy.

“What about you Sulli?” Kyungsoo asked ignoring the two other boys.

“I have Cinema Study, it’s my second class for today.” Sulli answered.

“We have that too!” Kai said excitedly but then his face contorted when he thought about the other people he knew that were going to be in that class as well. “Ooh wait… so does L.”

 

☰✖

 

“So how does it feel to be Rain Bi’s kid?” Krystal randomly asked as they waited for their orders. The two sat in a small café just a little outside of their school campus for their lunch together.

“Probably the same as being Nana Jung’s kid.” Amber said with a light laugh making Krystal tilt her head to the side questioningly. Before either could say another word a waitress came to their table with their food.

“Two grilled cheese sandwiches with two mango shakes.” The waitress said settling their plates and drink in front of them. “Enjoy.”

“Thank you.” The two teenagers said bowing their heads lightly as the waitress walked away.

“So, you know who I am then.”

“My brother, Kai, told me about you and your twin brother yesterday. I actually didn’t know before that though.” Amber said nodding her head and biting into her sandwich.

“How’d he find out?” Krystal asked curiously as she started to eat as well.

“He reads a lot of fashion magazines and he remembered seeing your mom and you and your brother in one of them when he saw your brother.” Amber answered.

“Oh, I see.” Krystal said nodding her head. “Speaking of which, so are you three like triplets? You and your brothers, I mean.”

“No.” Amber said shaking her head while lightly laughing at her question.

“I’m just wondering cause you guys look nothing alike.” Krystal stated with a small smile as she watched Amber across from her.

“We were born in the same year but different months.” Amber explained staring at the other girl who was intently watching her bite into her sandwich. “We’re actually all adopted.”

“Oh, really?” The other girl asked surprised.

“Yeah, I don’t really remember or know much except for that we were adopted when we were just babies.” Amber said with a shrug. “Well I mean that’s what was stated to the press and I guess that’s the truth.”

“You guess?” Krystal was confused at the way the shorthaired girl spoke her last sentence.

“There are some things that make me doubt the story.” Amber said shrugging once again.

“Like what?” Krystal asked now extremely curious.

“Maybe I’ll tell you one day but right now I want to keep that secret. I think we’re talking about me a little too much and not enough of you, let’s talk about you.” Amber said grinning at the other girl. Krystal raised an eyebrow while pushing her tongue on the inside of while looking at Amber skeptically. “Tell me something about yourself, Krystal Jung. Something you like or things you find interesting. Anything.”

“Mmm…” Krystal tilted her head to the side and wondered of a good answer. Thinking of one a knowing smirk grew on her as she said, “I find clumsy skaters interesting, does that count?”

 

☰✖

 

Sulli sat in her Cinema Study class bored out of her mind as the professor showed an old black and white film on the projector in the front of the room. Her eyes wondered around the room at all the other students. She sneered when her eyes landed on L who sat with his headphones on while his head lay on top of his desk. Her eyes continued to roam around the other way until she was looking at the two boys seated to her left. Kai’s head was bopping in and out of sleep as he tried to stay awake to watch the film up front. Next to him Kyungsoo was intently watching with one arm rested on top of the desk propping his chin in one hand. Without really thinking Sulli’s eyes wondered lower and her eyes widened when she saw two intertwined hands in the space between Kai and Kyungsoo.

“Oh. My god.” Sulli whispered shocked but she quickly averted her eyes away when Kyungsoo turned to look at her.

“Did you say something, Sulli?” Kyungsoo asked looking at her. Kai shook his head waking up from Kyungsoo’s voice.

“Ah, nope. I didn’t say anything.” Sulli quickly replied back shaking her head and smiling towards the other boy. She glanced down again a second time but their hands weren’t intertwined anymore. The whole class period she would glance down hoping to see them holding hands again but was disappointed when nothing else happened between the two.

“Alright, class dismissed.” The professor announced once the movie ended. Everyone started to stand and leave. Sulli bid her goodbye to the two boys beside her before walking out of the classroom and building.

“Ssul!” Sulli turned around to find her best friend running after her, his hair bouncing with his movements. “Why are you smiling like that? You look scary.”

“You will never believe what I witnessed an hour ago, Tae.”

 

☰✖

 

Amber and Krystal stood at the cashier after they finished eating their lunch. The hour and a half spent at the café was full of laughter and jokes as the two got to know one another more.

“That’ll be $15.95.” The cashier said looking at their receipt. Amber reached behind her and skillfully ped her backpacks small pocket reaching in and grabbing her wallet. Unknowingly, when she pulled out her wallet a small metallic device was also pulled out falling onto the ground in front of Krystal.

“Is this an inhaler?” Krystal asked handing the small device back to Amber once they stepped out of the café. Looking at the thing in the other girl’s hand Amber nodded her head.

“Did it fall out?” The shorthaired girl asked putting it back into her backpack. Krystal just nodded her head. “Thanks, my dad would’ve killed me if I lost that.”

“That’s a weird looking inhaler. I’ve never seen one like that before, looks like it’s from the future or something.” Krystal said as the two continued to walk back to school.

“It’s a specially made one just for me.” Amber answered chuckling nervously. “I have a rare and weird type of asthma.

“Hmm, I’m learning a lot about you today.” Krystal said with a thoughtful look. Amber just smiled as she looked over to the other girl while they continued to walk side-by-side back to school.

 

☰✖

 

“Kai’s gay?” Taemin asked his eyes doubling in size.

“I think, I saw him and Kyungsoo holding hands in class today.” Sulli said shaking her head up and down. Taemin’s mouth dropped open in shock at Sulli’s words.

“No way…”

“I know right?! It’s like another you! Isn’t that crazy?” Sulli asked with a big smile on her face.

“What’s crazy?” The two teens turned their heads like deers caught in headlights when they heard another voice interrupt their conversation.

“Nothing.” The two said in unison nervously when they saw Krystal at the door. “Hey Krystal, Hey Amber!”

“Uh huh…” Krystal said slowly eyeing both her brother and best friend who were fidgeting in their seats being very awkward.

“Hi guys.” Amber stepped up behind Krystal and greeted the two with a smile completely oblivious to the awkward atmosphere between the three. “What’re you two up to?”

Before either of the two could answer a loud knock and yell rang through the other side of the door. The four teens looked towards the door when the knocking continued. Voices could be heard form the other side, it sounded as if there was an argument going on outside.

“Yah! Who said for you to come if all you’re going to do is go against me!” Amber recognized the voice of her oldest brother.

“What the…” She said walking up to the door. She carefully opened it and raised an eyebrow when she saw Kai in between an arguing Kyungsoo and L.

“I was just stating my opinion!” Kyungsoo yelled going on his tippy toes to level up with L.

“What’re you guys doing?” Amber asked slowly looking between her brothers and best friend.

“Gah, Amber, make them stop, please!” Kai begged walking into his sister’s dorm while rubbing his temples with both hands. He walked over to the couch that Taemin and Sulli were seated at and plopped himself in between the two.

“Where’s your board?” L asked Amber as he stepped into the dorm after Kai. Amber, confused turned around and showed her older brother that the board was strapped securely onto her backpack. Without saying anything more, L unstrapped the board and held in his hands.

“Do you need it?” Amber asked scratching her head still confused why L had asked and taken her board. Everyone else present in the room just watched in silence as the two talked.

“No, I’ll just be keeping it for a while because of your stupid stunt earlier.” L said nonchalantly.

“What?” Amber asked in disbelief at what her brother just said.

“Well actually, I told dad about it and he told me to take your board away or else.” L said shrugging his shoulders like it wasn’t a big deal.

“Aw, why’d you tell him?” Amber whined.

“I told him not to do it.” Kyungsoo butted in.

“Shut up.” L warned the shorter boy pointing a finger at him before turning around to point at Amber. “Don’t even think about buying another board.”

And with that L walked out of the dorm with Amber’s skateboard in hand. Amber stuck in shock raised both hands to her hair and looked at her best friend.

“Why’d you let him call my dad?!”

“Hey, don’t look at me. I tried stopping him and so did Kai.” Kyungsoo said raising both hands up defensively. He walked further into the dorm where everyone else was and waved at each of them happily.

“This .” Amber mumbled with a pout as she turned to all the other teenagers gathered in the living room.

“I don’t think I’ve met you yet.” Kyungsoo said as he stared at Krystal. “Hi, I’m Kyungsoo.”

“Hi, I’m Krystal.” Krystal said slightly smiling at the short boy. “I know who you are, I saw you in class today when you and Amber came in late together.”

“This is my best friend.” Amber said smiling brightly as she swung an arm around Kyungsoo’s shoulders. “The one I told you about earlier.” 

 


 

Kyungsoo is very important for later chapters and the story ^^ Thanks for the comments and subscriptions! They make us happy so please do continue and they also help motivate us to update so thank you :D And sorry if you're confused, everything willl be answered in later chapters ^^