Questions

The Stalker

Yonghwa's POV

I open up the door. Seohyun is crying and I think she's going to use me as a punching bag, but she does something that's even more surprising.

She puts out her arms. 

I hug her, and I can't help a smile forming at my lips, but I try to keep a straight face.

"Hey, it's okay," I say although I know nothing's okay.

"You're... such a great friend." Seohyun says as she pulls away.

Great. Stuck in the friend zone.

At least it's better than the stalker zone.

"What's wrong?" I ask, and immediately regret it.

Her eyes turn sad, and she looks at the ground.

"I'm sorry," I say, willing to do anything to put a smile on her face again.

"No.. it's not your fault.. I'm acting like a jerk..." Seohyun wipes her tears and stares past my shoulders.

"Can I come in?"

"Oh, sure! Yeah, of course!" I move past and she moves into the house again.

She observes my house like she's never been in here before. 

I suddenly feel nervous as her searching glances dart around my kitchen, which is cluttered with dirty dishes.

"So I'm guessing you live alone?" She says suddenly after a couple minutes of observing.

"Yeah," I look down.

"Why? Did your parents kick you out?"

I'm angry and embarrassed at the same time. "...No. I moved out."

"I'm sorry. That was rude." She fingers the ring I gave her and I pretend that this is the first time I ever saw the ring.

"That's a nice ring!" 

"Thanks..." She seems unsure, and I know why- she doesn't know where the ring came from.

"I have a ring just like that!" I show her my finger with the matching ring.

Our couple ring.

She claps her hands like a kid and smiles. "That's so cool!"

Then, she goes right back to searching.

Finally, I can't stand it anymore and I ask, "What are you looking for?"

She jumps back like she's been attacked and smiles sheepishly.

"Sorry, I was just wondering..."

"Yes?"

"Do you have a girlfriend?"

My heart literally stops for a second. There is silence and I can't hear anything.

"N-no."

"Then who's this?" She points to a picture of a brown haired girl and me smiling into the camera.

"That's my friend." I look away and bite my lips. Starting off with lies. 

She points to another picture with another girl. "Who's this?"

It's a picture of Shinhye and me, smiling on our first day of middle school. Our hands are clasped together, and I'm starting to wish I threw that picture away years ago.

"We used to date."

At least that's a truth.

She nods carefully and stares at my eyes. 

"I was wondering... what color are your eyes?"

I laugh, because that's an obvious question. "They're brown. Always have been, always will be."

"Hmm... I thought they were green this morning. They caught the morning light."

"Trick of the light. Any more questions?" I try to hide the annoyance, but I must have done a terrible job.

Seohyun laughs. "I"m sorry for being curious! I just met you! Just one more question."

"What is it?"

She points to the first picture she pointed at. "Do I know this girl?"

I'm confused, because how am I supposed to know if she knows the girl or not?

"I don't think so..." I say. She nods like she trusts what I say and drops the subject.

"Alright, now it's my turn for questions, Ms. Curious."

"Ask away," Seohyun smiles at me. Her brown eyes twinkling.

I love it when she smiles at me.

"Do you think you know the girl?" I ask, gesturing toward the picture.

"Yes...I think I saw her at my school."

"Well... I think she does go to your school," I say, pondering my words carefully.

"Enough with lies. Who is she really?" Seohyun asks.

"I'm..n-not lying." I say.

She laughs. "You're such a bad liar. You don't talk about her like she's a friend."

"Same deal as the other girl. We used to date." It's not completely a lie.

There's a hint of disappointment as she says, "Gee, how many girls have you dated in the past?"

"What can I say? Ladies are just attracted to me." I wink.

"Ack! Gross!" She throws a pillow at me and soon, my whole house is a mess, with floor scattered with pillows and feathers.

"So what about it? You're a lady- are you attracted to me?" I joke.

"In your dreams."

Seohyun brushes herself off and glances at the clock.

"Aah! I'm gonna be late for cram school!" She grabs her bookbag.

Before she runs out the door, she turns back and gives me a quick hug. 

"Thanks, Yonghwa. For everyhting." 

Then she's gone as fast as she appeared. 

Leaving a giant mess for me to clean by myself.

In your dreams.

No. 

I'm going to make her like me.

Plus, don't they say in those stupid fairy tales that dreams come true?


After I cleaned up all the feathers, I notice a picture frame I must've knocked off when pelting Seohyun with pillows.

I lift it up.

It's the picture of the girl, the girl that Seohyun said she knew.

No. She can't possibly know her.

I don't even think I knew her that well, and we dated for three years.

I blow the dust away and stare at the features of the girl.

I remember clearly. This was taken on her school photo day, in the last year of middle school. 

It was raining, and of course, she was freaking out because her hair got messed up.

I tried to calm her down, but she just refused to take the picture.

I couldn't even tell the difference.

I smile at the girl.

"I didn't see you for two years now. I know you're doing fine, but I'm not."

I her hair line and start whispering again.

"I still remember you. I still love you. I always will. But I'm going to move on."

I stand up and I put down the picture frame on the table. Before I walk away, I ask one more question.

Not toward Seohyun, but toward the picture.

"Will you forgive me if I fall in love with someone else?"


I'm a fool

A fool who only sees you

I thank you

All my friends are jealous of me

Because of the fool who only sees me

Yes.

I'm a fool.

But the question is... for who?