Interfering

The Stalker

Yonghwa's POV

6:48 AM. 

I wake up and wash up quickly. I have to be at her front door by 7:00 in order to catch her leaving for school.

A high school drop out with no job. People point their fingers at me, clicking their tongues.

That's why I can never be with her, the smart and beautiful SeoJooHyun.

I only watch from the sidelines. 

When I get to her front door, her boyfriend is always there. He waits for her before they leave. 

I pretend to walk past, then drop something. I wait there with my face down.

She walks out the front door. She doesn't see my face, but she thinks that I'm a beggar. She tosses me a bill.

I want to scream "I'm not a beggar!" but I don't.

I only watch.

Her boyfriend looks at me with disgust. "SeoHyun, why do you give that beggar money every day?"

SeoHyun. That's her nickname.

"Come on, oppa. I feel bad for him. He'll probably die alone and cold." 

She puts her arm in her boyfriend's and starts to walk away. 

I slowly walk behind them. It's amazing how many people don't look behind them as they walk.

They're talking, but I'm too far behind to hear what they're saying.

I can never be one of them.

I don't know when it started. I was actually a star student.

I don't know when things started going wrong. When I started to get into fights, and my grades began to drop.

I don't drink or smoke, but my own parents stare at me with suspicious looks.

We fought every day, and it seemed like they despised me.

That's why at the age of 18, I moved out. Got my own house.

Back to Seohyun. So I stare at them from about 6 feet away. I learned that's the best distance to keep when following someone.

The boyfriend always looks back. He always sees me, and he asks "Isn't that the beggar?"

Seohyun always replies, "Who cares? Let's hurry, oppa."

The boy always bites his lips and stare at me. Then he reluctantly walks again.

We soon reach Seohyun's high school. I linger at the gates, watching her go in.

Then, I turn and race toward the back door of the school. Where all the garbage comes out.

It's supposed to be locked, but no one ever locks it. So I push the gates open and walk into the campus.

I walk around the back of the school. 

Luckily, Seohyun's classroom is on the first floor, so I step over the ladder that's always there and I peek into the window. 

She's sitting at the front of the class with her books in front of her. 

And I stay like that for the first half of the school day.

Then comes lunch. She walks out to skip ropes with her friends.

Here's why I must be careful because if the lunch patrol finds me, he'll see that I'm not in the uniform and that I don't go to this school.

I sneak around and I hide behind a giant tree Seohyun likes and always skips ropes in front of.

She looks so pretty in her school uniform that I can't help but wish I actually went to school.

Well, her school.

The bell rings for end of lunch and I know it's time for me to go back home, because this is when the gardner goes to the back of the school to take care of the flowers back there.

So I creep to the front of the school gates and I wait.

Not long after that, Seohyun walks out with her friends and she nods her head at me, because she thinks I'm just the beggar.

She heads to cram school, but I got that covered.

I race back home.

She and I used to go to the same cram school although we went to different schools.

On the last day, when I dropped out, I hid a security camera in front of the teacher's desk.

Seohyun, being the smart one, always sat in the front.

I log on to my computer and click on watch live footage.

I smile because there she is, engrossed in her studies.

A teacher says something that my camera doesn't pick up and Seohyun raises her hand.

The teacher calls on her and she stands up to answer the question.

This is usuallly when she gets it right and shes' all smiles.

But a girl who sat behind her played a trick on her, because she tied Seohyun's hair to her chair.

She falls back and everyone laughs. The teacher quickly walks over to untie Seohyun's hair.

She's crying.

If she cries, I cry inside.

That's why I race to her cram school. During bathroom break, I find the girl.

I drag her outside. 

And this maybe ungentleman-y, but I beat her face to pulp.

So she'll never bring tears to a face prettier than hers.

She's bleeding and I call 911.

"Hello? I... I found a bleeding girl! Please come here quick! It's behind the 00 Cram School!" 

I leave her there unconcious.

By the time that's over, cram school's let out. Luckily, her boyfriend's not there with her, so I follow her in peace.

She stops at a jewelry shop.

She admires a ring with a sparkling pearl in the middle.

Her birthstone.

Our birthstone.

I keep her in my sight as I buy two rings. One I'll leave at her front door, and one for me.

The clerk smiles at me. "Are you her boyfriend?"

"Yes." I croak out. "I'm her boyfriend."

"She's lucky to have such a great boyfriend." The clerk winks at me.

"Good luck," he says as I leave.

Luckily, she's still in sight.

I walk behind her again while she takes a shortcut to her house. It's through a dark alley, where bad things happen in movie.

Correction. It happens in real life too.

Because Seohyun stops, and it isn't because she's tired.

"Dollface, what are you doing alone at night?" 

3 guys much older than Seohyun blocks her way.

"Let me pass." Seohyun says calmly, although there's a hint of panic on her face.

"Haha, you think we'll let you pass like that?" The head guy smiles at her. 

"What do you want?"

"Ah, right to the point, huh? Play with us a little, come on."

The guy gets uncomfortably close to Seohyun. 

I do what I learned in anger management.

I breathe in. I breathe out.

Then I hear muffled screams, and the guy yells, "Stay still!"

He hits her on the head and she faints.

That's when I realize this is no time for anger management.

I storm on to the scene and I punch the guy in the face.

They're bigger than me, but they're just like the other guys at school I beat up.

They're cocky, but they know no skills of fighting.

I beat the other two goons up and they fall to the ground.

The head criminal stares at me. He growls, then he charges.

I let him come, then I jump out of the way at the last moment. Clssic fighting skill.

He bumps in to a pole and I grin evilly.

I lift Seohyun up, and she's light as a feather.

I could take her back home, but what will I say to her parents?

"Oh, I found your daughter unconcious. How do I know it's your daughter? Easy, I stalk her every day."

Like that won't get me arrested. The blood of the criminals on my clothes probably wouldn't help either.

So I have no choice. 

I'll take her to my house, just for the night.

I start walking back to my house with a bloody girl in my arms, which probably got me a few weird stares.

I set her down for a second. I look through my backpack and found the ring I bought for her and me.

Our theoratical couple ring.

I slip it on her finger. She'll wake up and wonder what happened.

With my luck, she might think I'm the one that beat her up.

I didn't care, because I had bigger problems.

For the first time, I just interfered in her life.

And that's a very dangerous thing for a stalker.