Coffee, Numbers, and Betrayal

The Stalker

Seohyun's POV

I wake up to a smell of my favorite food in the world, sweet potatoes.

I had the weirdest dream ever, fuzzy memories of gangsters attacking me, then a fist appearing out of nowhere...

That's when I realize I'm not in my house.

I scream, thinking those creepy guys from yesterday got me and did who knows what to me.

A guy runs into the room. He looks like he's the same age as me. 

At least I know that he's not one of the crazy psychos, so I'm slightly relieved.

Still, I have no idea who this guy is, so I feel panic when he smiles at me.

"Morning," he says like it's completely normal for me to be here.

"What... where am I?" I stutter, my fists clenched, just in case I need to escape.

"Don't be so uptight," he says as he hands me the cup of coffee he has in his hands. "I'm not gonna hurt you."

I reluctantly take the cup of coffee. I try to hide the look of suspiscion to myself, but it doesn't work.

The guy laughs. "It's not like I poisoned the coffee. Relax, I'm harmless."

"I'll be the judge of that. Answer my question. Who are you and where am I?"

"Right to the point, eh? I'm your savior." He smiles and I instantly hate the guy. He's so cocky.

"That doesn't explain anything."

"I'm the guy that punched the lights out of those pyschos trying to you."

Well, at least I know that he isn't that bad of a guy anymore. He can't be if he saved me.

"And you're in my house, on my bed, because I.. I didn't know where you lived." He bites his lips and it looks like he's hiding something from me, but I don't ask.

Then something else bothers me. "Wait... I"m on your bed?" I ask nervously.

"I slept on the couch in the living room." His face is red. 

"Oh...okay..." I glance around nervously. 

He clears his throat. It's clear he wants to make sure I know I'm not the bad guy.

"So... what school do you go to?" I ask, wanting to make a small talk.

He eyes turn hard, and I know I touched a sensitive subject. He turns silent for a long time.

"You... do go to school, right?"

"Of course! Who doesn't go to school?" He replies quickly, but something feels wrong.

"Then what school do you go to?" I ask.

"I..go to... your school." He finally manages. 

"Really? I haven't seen you around before." I stare at him suspiciously.

"Well, I've seen you around. I'm in the other class."

"Which teacher do you have? Mr. Park?"

"Yeah." He whispers. "Yeah, I have Mr. Park."

There is no Mr. Park in my school, but I don't say anything. Considering the books on his table, he must go to school.

But why does he lie?

I feel the sudden need to get out of there.

"I'll keep my eye out for you...." I stand up.

"Well, I better get going. Thanks." I smile at him, and it's real this time.

He looks like he wants to stop me, but he just says, "You're welcome."

For a second, I really want to stay, because he looks so lonely and helpless. But for all I know, he might be acting.

He gives me my bookbags and leads me out the front door.

"Do you live all alone?" I ask curiously.

He doesn't answer me.

"Well, if you do, you must be lonely. Here," I pull out a pen from my backpack.

I take his hand. It's rough and cold, like it has been through a lot of fights.

"Here's my number." I scribble down numbers on his hand. I don't know what I'm thinking, giving my number to random guys.

He looks up and his eyes are sparkling. "Thanks, Seohyun."

I stare at him. "How do you know my name?"

He smiles mysteriously. "I know a lot of things. Bye, SeoJooHyun."

"Wait! You need to give me your number! I need to repay you for this favor!"

I hand him the pen, and our hands touch again. We hold it there a second to long, and he quickly pulls away.

He doesn't meet my eye once after that as he scribbles down numbers in a messy handwriting and goes back in to the house.

Before he goes back into his house, I shout "What's your name?"

He turns back, and for a second, I think I sense pain in his eyes.

Pain so deep that no one accepted him before, because they were afraid of his pain.

But eyes with twinkles of a child, like he's constantly plotting something.

"Jung YongHwa." He says, pokerfaced. "My name is Jung Yonghwa."


I walk back to my house. Of course, I really don't want to, considering the-

"SeoJooHyun! Where in the world have you been?"

Yeah. That.

My mom walks over and I think she'll fiercely hug me, but she doesn't. She slaps me on the back as I take off my shoes.

"You little... where have you been?"

"I got lost." Which technically is the best thing to say, because my mom will probably never let me go outside again if I tell her what happened for real.

"Lost?!" She yells about how irresponsible I was, and my dad just sits there with his mouth open.

"Okay, mom! I get it! I'm sorry!" I yell at her, then I grab a toast and walks back out the door.

"Where are you going?"

"Oppa's house."

"Choosing her boyfriend over family. Dating in high school...." My mom shakes her head and walks away in disgust.

My dad follows her, glancing at me from time to time.

I storm out the door. Uggh! I'm so mad, and my parents hate me.

Only oppa can make me feel better now. 

Kyuhyun oppa smiles at me when he opens the door. At least he tries to. He looks nervous and keeps looking back into his house.

"Hey, Seohyun." He leans over the doorway.

No, it's more like he's blocking me out.

"Hey, oppa. Can I come in?" I try to look past him into the house, but Kyuhyun's too big to look past.

"Um... now? My parents are in here... and..."

"So? I've met your parents before. They like me." I start to think that something's wrong with oppa today.

"NO! I mean..."

Then the girl comes out.  She has long black hair and she's wearing a white blouse with very short shorts. 

She's the type that every guy would like.

And Kyuhyun was a guy,

The girl tapped Kyuhyun. "Come on, oppa. You promised me..." Her voice faltered.

She mutters something, and I think she says. "Oh, this isn't going to be pretty."

"Oh." That's all I say. I should've yelled at him or swore or punched him, but that's all I say.

"Seohyun, I can explain."

"No need to do that oppa. I understand exactly what's going on right now." 

I slam the door in oppa's face and walk away. At first, I don't even cry, because I'm too shocked.

Then finally, after holding it in for a couple minutes, tears are pouring out of my eyes. I can't believe after all I've done for him, he's doing this.

I quickly wipe my tears. He's not even worth these tears. I can't give him the satisfaction of making me cry.

That's what he was going for all along. To play with the innocent little girl then break her heart.

I was just a toy, and he got bored.

Now where do I go? I can't go back home. My mom will think we had a fight then lecture me all over again.

I will not listen to her saying "I told you so" or "I didn't like that boy".

But to whose house now? 

Then I remember. Someone who didn't look like they had anything to do anytime soon.

But we said goodbye only an hour ago.

I slowly unclench my fist and stare at the messy numbers on my hand.

I bite my lips and I slowly get out my phone.

Huh?

There's a ring on my finger. I didn't notice it until now, but it's the pearl ring I was admiring yesterday.

That's weird, I think. I slowly finger the ring and smile. 

Someone paid attention to me. Someone cared about me to give me this ring.

Only if I could remember who, because that was the sort of person I needed right now.

But I don't know, and that's why he's my only choice.

I slowly dial the numbers on my hand in to my phone. 

The phone rings.

Once. 

Twice.

Then he picks up.

"Hello?" His voice sounds different over the phone.

I don't say anything. I can't for some reason.

"Hello? Is this some kind of a prank?" His voice sounds annoyed.

I finally manage out three words.

"I need you."