Graduation day

My Beautiful Hangover

   "Is this a dream?" I whispered. I took the black scroll from Mr. Kim, Seoul Design Academy dean. My vision blurred as I gratefully took the scroll of achievement, and slowly, raised my head to face the mass of students seated in an arc in the theatre.

   "Miss. Elena Seol, student of Fashion business management and Merchandise design," Mr. Kim articulated through the microphone. "You have done us and yourself proud by being a top student in SDA, and above all that, your assignments will be credited and internationally known. Congratulations, Elena."

   In the midst of the seated audience, my brother stood up and embarrasingly caterwauled. "Bravo! Bravo! You're the greatest noona!"

   There was again a thunderous frisson rising from the mass. I bowed profusely towards the rest, and my tears just wouldn't stop flowing down. In my big graduation black cloak, I join the rest of the graduated students by sweeping down the stage. As I climbed down I imagined mum and dad seated at the place where brother was and almost loose a step thinking about it.

  "Yah, kencanah?" my friend, Hae Rim asked as she cast a worrried a look. She held my elbow to make me steady, then softened."You're thinking about your parents?"

  I bit my lips, but smiled. I clutched my scroll furiously. "Yeah. Just thinking how would it feel to have my mum and dad watch me graduate, and how wide their smiles would be when I climb up that stage. I'd love to know."

  She nodded her head. "They would be so proud of you, Elena. Look at you darling, you're the best here! I've always secretly look up to you as my designer-role-model, and I'm feeling as proud as your parents now," I poked her cheek teasingly and both of us laughed.

   Suddenly brother's voice echoed down the hall, and when I turned around he was waving his arms hysterically with a camera hung around his neck. He took a shot of me walking towards him with the graduation garment still on me. I immediately scruffed his shaggy hair. A few graduated students materialised by my side to offer their congratulations and wishing well endeavours to me. I watched the other who were also beaming proud for their own credits, and a couple of overwhelmed mothers were hugging their sons or daughters with a lip-tearing grin as their tears washed their faces. I was absorbed into the poignant sight till I didn't hear a croaking voice calling out my name, and a hand grabbed my wrist to spurn me around.

  Face to face with me was Professor Hyeong, his thin frame diminished in the bulky brown suit. He started his chains of congratulatory message, and in return, I expressed my gratitude for being a wonderful professor to all of us students.

  "You have great talents in you still undiscovered Elena." Professor said, and pushed up his heavy gold specs to the bridge of his nose. He suddenly slipped his hands into his pocket and revealed a piece of folded paper. "That is why, I need you to be well-recognised. Where do you plan to work soon?"

 I jutted my lower lips and all my dream careers began sprouting in my head. I had already planned to go abroad to work, since that's the only way to expand my prospects. "A fashion stylist, or even a junior manager director at a multi-label boutique. I am adamant about working at Paris, or even the states. There's many opportunities waiting for me with this award, Professor Hyeong, and I can't wait."

 I thought I saw him frowning. His forehead furrowed as he unfold the piece of paper he was holding. "Hmm...that's pretty good for you..." then he looked up from his specs. "But not good enough for amateurs in the working life."

  I shook my head, feeling a little confused. "But, why? I am taking a large step towards my goal. Paris is a very attracti-"

  Suddenly, his eyes went wide. "I have been in this arena for decades, and I know what's best. I am offering you something-that is, to be a sort of assistant?"

  "Assistant?" I gasped. "Although I'm inexperienced, I have the qualifications and you know I can lead a team."

  He shook his head. 'No-no, listen first!. Our country is a rising star on its own, if you know what I mean. Come on, its already rised. And you know what's inflicted it? It's the ever-popular showbiz, the entertainment groups,"

  At the first mention of entertainment, images of the surreal-like artists flashed in my head, the popular hallyu stars and the numerous bands; the supply and demand of korean craze alike.

  "A-hah. I don't think I want to do that professor. " I said, and began to laugh humorlessly. But he kept a straight eyes contact with me, that made me fiddle with my own fingers uncomfortably.

 "No, you do." without saying any further, he the unfolded paper into my palm. "There's an audition for assistant managers. Its for a YG entertainment company." Then he shrugged."Of course, you gotta study them a bit."

  I sighed. "My destination is Paris."

  He completely ignored me and fished out his mobile to search for a contact. "My friend is one of the directors in that company; and Big Bang needs one now. I hope you can try out and get the job."

 Assistant manager? Is Big Bang a clothing brand that I need to manage? "It doesn't make any sense for me yet..."

  "The salary is really worth it for staters. And I got a feeling you won't be just there for the salary. You have the passion."