5

The Promise We Made

Sunghee settles herself on the sofa, eyes fixed on the TV that is playing her favorite program. Today is Saturday and she is waiting for Taeyeon to come. It’s her turn to be the host of their sleepover routine. Sungyeol is out with his friends, and his umma and appa are having their usual dates, so she is all alone.

The bell to her house suddenly rings, making Sunghee jerks off the sofa and runs to the door. “Taeyeonnie!!” Sunghee squeals as she opens the door and immediately hugs her cousin. “I’ve been waiting for you. I’m all alone.” She said after she pulled out, pouting. Taeyeon just smiles at her cousin’s antics and steps inside the house, without waiting for any consent, like it’s her own.

They then settle themselves in the family room after putting Taeyeon’s bag in Sunghee’s room, and continue watching the program they both like.

“Appa said that we will have a trip with Howon samchon and Sunggyu ahjussi again, with the whole family along.” Taeyeon said, breaking the silence in the room. “He said it will be 3-week trip to Europe, one week for him to take care of his business, and another two weeks for us to go around Europe.” She smiles thinking of how fun it is to have a vacation in Europe. She’s been wanting to try skydiving in Switzerland, and it really excites her a lot.

“Really? Appa hasn’t said anything though.” Sunghee pouts feeling left out. “Maybe he’ll tell us tonight. We haven’t really gathered together. When will it be?” She asked excitedly, eyes are now fixed on Taeyeon. It’s been so long since the last time she went out of Korea.

“It will be next month. And appa said Minho oppa can come, too! I’m so happy, Sunghee-ah.” Taeyeon squeals. She holds Sunghee’s arms and they are both bouncing on the sofa like little kids.

Suddenly, Sunghee freezes upon one realization. “Wait a minute.” She said gesturing Taeyeon to stop. “Sunggyu ahjussi will be going, too, means that Myungsoo oppa will come, too, right?” she asked, smile suddenly falls off his face. Taeyeon sighs at Sunghee’s sudden change. She knocks her head in her mind for forgetting not to mention Sunggyu. Now, it will be hard to persuade Sunghee to come along, again.

“Well, it’s what happens every year, but I’m sure he won’t disturb us, Sunghee-ah.” Taeyeon said, half pleading, so Sunghee won’t change his mind.

“I don’t know, Taeyeon-ah. Appa hasn’t said anything either. It can be that it’s only your family.” Sunghee smiles apologetically, knowing that she is making up excuses because she knows all three families will come along, just like what they always do every year. Besides, if she really wants it, she would usually plead her appa to let them join. But thinking that Myungsoo will also be there makes her unwilling to go anymore.

Taeyeon sighs again hearing Sunghee’s words. “Please, just this time, can you come? You refused twice, Sunghee-ah.” She said shifting her whole body to face Sunghee. “And I was alone and lonely. Sungyeol oppa would always play with Myungsoo oppa, you know.” Taeyeon pouts, trying to change Sunghee’s mind again.

“But this time Minho oppa will come, right? You won’t be alone.” Sunghee said smiling. Taeyeon sighs, knowing that she has been defeated. “Fine, then.” She said, pouting, then shifts her body to face the TV again. She has long learned how to give up on trying persuading Sunghee. Nothing will work if it involves Myungsoo, so she will just save up her energy for something else.

Sunghee smiles bitterly. I’m sorry, Taeyeon-ah. I’m not ready to face him, just yet, especially after what happened yesterday. She said in her mind, taking a quick glace at Taeyeon before she fixes her eyes on the TV again.

 

∞ SHINee ∞ SHINee ∞ SHINee ∞

 

“So, Sunghee. I guess, Taeyeon has told you already? We’ll be having another vacation together with Jinki samchon’s family and Sunggyu ahjussi’s family this coming month.” Howon declared as they are having their dinner. He smiles to his maknae, waiting for her response. It’s been a while since the last time Sunghee joined their family vacation, and he really hopes his maknae will be willing to join this time.

“Ne, Taeyeon told me before. But I think I have to refuse again, appa. And I know you know why.” Sunghee said without tearing her gaze from the food in front of her. All of the people in the dinning room sigh. The exact same answer she’s been telling them for the past two years. Sunghee lifts her head when she hears the people sighing far too loud for her to ignore. “I’m sorry.” She said again, feeling really apologetic.

“It’s okay, dear. No need to be sorry. We understand.” Dongju said, smiling her motherly smile toward Sunghee. “So, how is business lately, yeobo?” she said turning to Howon, trying to change the topic.

“Until when are you planning to avoid him, Sunghee-ah?!” Sungyeol suddenly said in an angry tone, startling everybody. “I’m tired of pretending that everything’s fine, okay? I’m sick of seeing the both of you like this. I’m your oppa, but I’m also his best friend. Can you, please, stop doing that to all of us? We’re worried, but none of you would want to tell us anything. We’re hurt, too, seeing you two like this. It’s been two years!! Stop being a coward and face your problem!!” Sungyeol said full of rage, then stands up and leaves the room. Everyone’s shocked, especially Sunghee. It’s her first time seeing her oppa this angry that it makes her voice also betrays her.

“Appa…umma…I guess, I will just…go to sleep.” Sunghee said choking. Tears are building in her eyes. She stands up, limping, and then takes fast steps toward her room, followed by Taeyeon. Her whole body is trembling and tears finally flow down her cheeks without she can stop them. She holds onto Taeyeon to keep her standing up until they arrive at her room.

“Taeyeon-ah.” Sunghee called. “Was that really Sungyeol oppa? It’s not like him at all.” she asked with tears still streaming down her cheeks. Her oppa never yelled at her before, but he did it just now.

Taeyeon Sunghee’s back, not really knowing what she should say. Guess, Sungyeol has reached his limit, too. She, too, will feel betrayed and useless if her own sister chooses to tell her cousin instead of her. His best friend doesn’t want to tell him anything, either, which add to his frustration. He can only watch from the side without being able to do anything.

“Maybe I should really join, Taeyeon-ah. But, please, don’t let him stay too close to me.” Sunghee said making Taeyeon jumps in joy in her mind. Finally, Sunghee agrees to join their vacation. You did the very right thing, Sungyeol oppa!! Taeyeon screamed in her heart.

Well, as much as Sunghee doesn’t want to be any closer to Myungoo, she doesn’t want to upset her oppa even more. When her hyung is upset, then it means that the problem is really serious. It won’t hurt to join the vacation, right?

 

 

 

 

 

A/N............................................

hello~ hehe I update again, twice already for this week.. XD

well, since the internet connection works just right today, it wont hurt to update, will it? hehe

hope you guys like this little chappie~ ^^ tell me what you think of this..

I LOVE COMMENTS!!^^ cheers~