Safe

Forever

The children surrounded her and gave her flowers that they personally plucked. 

"Noona~ Which one do you like the best?" One boy asked. 

The children shouted out their names while jumping in place. However one child didn't even have a flower in his hand and looked at the ground. 

"Soohyun-ah~ Where's your flower?" Jeehae asked. 

Soohyun looked up in surprised. 

"Um. Mine. Um.. My flower is right here." Soohyun pointed to the ground, however there was no flower on the ground. 

"What?! There is no flower there!" The others teased. 

Jeehae bent down and took a closer look. There was a small blossom ready to bloom. All the other children joined Jeehae and laughed. 

"That's so ugly!!" They commented. 

Soohyun was at the verge of crying. 

"Actually. I like this flower the best." Jeehae stated. 

"Huh? Why?" The children stopped their laughter. 

"This blossom may turn out to be as beautiful as the rest of the flowers. You never know. It's a young flower. It's like a butterfly - at first it's an ugly icky caterpillar, but at the end, it transforms into a beautiful butterfly. It has a long way to go." Jeehae explained. 

They children nodded their tiny heads and Soohyun smiled brightly. 

"So guys, never ever judge anything by first look. It's difficult, but it's always good to try." Jeehae smiled. 

"Okay!!!" They all shouted. 

"Now you guys should go home now." A smooth voice ordered. 

All the kids turned their head. 

"MINHYUK OPPA!!"

"MINHYUK HYUNG!!" 

Jeehae turned her head and smiled. Minhyuk returned a chinky eye smile.   

"Now guys go home quickly before the scary man catches you!!" Minhyuk stated and he chased them. 

They all screamed and scattered. Jeehae watched from afar as they played with Minhyuk for a while. 

"You can't stay here forever.." A voice interrupted Jeehae’s thoughts. 

Jeehae turned her head and saw the grandmother. 

"I know halmoni." She replied softly. 

"You need to live your life and find someone to love! You can't end up like me! You don't have that much time left." She warned. 

"But I don't want to hurt him." Jeehae whispered. 

"He's probably more hurt that you're not by his side." The grandmother stated.

"Do I need to kick you out to get your head rolling?!" The grandmother slightly scolded with a little bit of tease. 

"No~~ Halmoi~!!! How could I ever be away from you??" Jeehae hugged the grandmother tightly. 

"Group hug!" Minhyuk stated as he embraces them all. 

"You youngsters are going to be the death of me!" The grandmother stated and broke the group hug.

"Well, I'm going to go in first. Come home as quickly as possibly you two!" The grandmother stated and went back inside the house. Minhyuk linked his arm around Jeehae's and ran. 

"Slow down!!" Jeehae screamed and Minhyuk came to an abrupt halt. Jeehae glared at him. Minhyuk gave her one of his famous smiles. They were at the center of the grass field. Only the two of them. Minhyuk took out two drinks from his jacket. 

"Since when did you have that in there?" Jeehae asked.

"I hold everything in here. Shouldn't you know that by now?" Minhyuk asked as he opened the cans for both of them. 

Jeehae and Minhyuk both laid down on the grass side by side. Both of them were silent just staring at the clouds. It was a good silence. 

"Jeehae-ah~" Minhyuk called out staring at Jeehae. 

"Hm?" Jeehae didn't move her head at all. 

"Are you. Are you ever going to go back?" Minhyuk asked. 

Jeehae froze. Her train of thoughts got interrupted. 

"Um. I'm not sure." Jeehae replied. 

"Can you just stay here with me forever?" Minhyuk questioned.

Jeehae turned her head towards Minhyuk. They were both facing each other, only a few centimeters separating them. 

"I'll try my best." Jeehae stated. 

Then Minhyuk did the unexpected. He went closer towards Jeehae. Closer and closer. The seconds were dragging. Jeehae started to feel tingles in her stomach. He finally approached her lips and they met. It was a soft kiss, but long. They slowly parted from each other. They both went into silence and stared back up at the sky. The train of thoughts returned to Jeehae's brain as she played with her ring. 

 

This was her home. She was safe and happy. 

For now.