Blame it on Jealousy

Blame It on the Turtles

Kyu's POV-

It was just past 11pm when my stomach growled angrily at me.  Really, I wasn't neglecting my stomach as much as perfecting my gaming.  Still, I hadn't eaten anything since lunch, so I paused my game to make some ramyun.  It was one of the few things I was allowed to make in Yesung hyung's kitchen, especially after a scorched countertop, several warped pots, and two worn-out exhaust fans. (But who's counting?)  After a few minutes of culinary concentration I had my ramyun just the way I liked it.  I made sure to chuck the nasty dehydrated vegetable packet before settling back down on the couch.  I thought Yesung hyung would be home any moment and didn't want to look like I was just waiting for him.

 

By midnight I had washed the dishes and most of the surfaces of the kitchen - stupid pent up nervous energy.  It was better than going back and forth between staring at the front door and losing any game I tried to play on my PSP from lack of concentration.  Hyung wasn't one to stay out late, much preferring to wake with the sun.  So what was up?  How many movies were they going to watch anyway?  I walked over to the desk and got out a double stack of cards.

 

Three games of Spider Solitare and no win.  Agitated, I wiped all the cards off the coffee table and glared at the wall clock - 1:17am.  Tonight...he wasn't coming home.  The thought hit me and made my stomach lurch.  I ran to the bathroom.  Try as I might, I couldn't expel the ramyun from two hours previous.  My eyes started to water as I coughed hard and dry.  Partially out of exhaustion/partially out of frustration, I rolled back and smacked my head against the wall.  Real tears started as I put my hands on my head and rested on my knees.  I was his In Case of Emergency number and hadn't heard a thing.  That should have been a relief, and yet it wasn't, not really, knowing he was with Donghae - most likely taking their relationship to a very physical level.

 

Sometime later (I stopped looking at the clock long ago) I picked myself up off the bathroom floor and trudged back to the living room.  I gathered the scattered cards before turning off the lights.  Sitting on the couch, I wrapped a quilt around myself.  Maybe if I pretended to sleep I would fool myself eventually.

 

----------

 

I heard the door unlock and peeked up to see that the sun was just coming up.  Not wanting to know any of last night's details, I buried my face back in the couch.

 

Yesung, being the morning person that he was, wouldn't let me escape that way.  "You silly maknae!  You promised me that you wouldn't fall asleep on the couch playing games anymore.  You've got to start taking better care of yourself!"  He came by and fluffed my hair to which I just hummed into the cushion.  "Are you sure you're feeling all right?  I would have been back earlier but after working on those tables all day I just feel asleep halfway through our second movie last night."

 

My ears buzzed and I sat up.  It wasn't an excuse.  Hyung's lousy at making things up.  "Really, that's all?  So no congratulations are in order?"

 

I ducked as a stuffed turtle flew past me.  "Yeah, that's all.  You can wipe that look off your face and clean up that mind of yours.  Nothing will ever happen on Ranger Sungmin's watch anyway."

 

Hmm, props to this Sungmin guy.  Good to know I have someone on my side.

 

"Kyu, your face looks kind of puffy.  Told you not to sleep on the couch."  Yesung was doing his usually puttering around the apartment and this time I was able to smile a bit.  "Hey, did you clean in here?  How 'bout I make you some breakfast before I get ready for work?  Then, I think you should sleep in your own bed for a couple hours before going into work."

 

"Thanks hyung, you always take good care of me."  And from what it sounds like, it could still be that way.

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Meanwhile at Cho Development:

 

"No way babe, you all moved in together?  I was ing kidding when I said that!  So, uh, how's that going for you?"  Heechul hadn't talked to Hangeng in so long.   He had to remedy that.  He had crawled out of bed that morning just so he could get to work early to take advantage of his employer's long distance line.

 

"The younger, Henly, is very active - always moving, observing, getting into things, but never talks above a whisper.  Zhou Mi, ah well, we are becoming close."

 

"Aw hell no, you aren't just going to leave it at that!  I need details man!  And I hear you - don't laugh at me!"

 

"You are so impatient Chullie!  Zhou Mi is tall, very tall, strong, beautiful, and dresses impeccably.  We have a similar sense of humor, which has helped a lot these past few months.  He is a wonderful man.  No... not just that, he's a gentlemanHe takes very good care of me.  We really understand each other.  I hope... I think it will last."

 

"He takes care of you?!?  That's a switch from...before.  Sounds like the change is really doing you some good though."

 

"It is, it is.  But I really miss seeing my best friend!  We've talked it over.  Zhou Mi, Henly, and I are all saving up to come visit.  It will take some time, but we will get there to see you and all of your craziness."

 

"Babe, that's awesome!  And I miss you, too-"

 

"Who's the 'babe' you miss on the phone Heechul?"  Heechul turned to see that Siwon had made it into the office - totally at the wrong time.  His eyebrow was raised (you know how), arms folded over his chest, and his lips were pursed - waiting for an answer.

 

" Hannie, I'm in trouble.  I'll call you later."  Heechul hung up the phone and looked sheepishly up at the man he really, really wanted to have a relationship with.  "That was Hangeng.  He's a friend who moved back to China several months ago.  I've mentioned Hannie before!"

 

"Is he the reason things are slowing down between us?"  The initial anger had faded from the younger's face, replaced with hurt and disappointment.

 

"Hannie hasn't been the 'reason' in my life for over two years now!  Aish, that didn't sound right.  Come over here and sit with me."  Heechul led Siwon towards his desk and pulled up an extra chair.  "The relationship between Hannie and I wasn't the healthiest when we tried dating.  We really make better friends, which I'm thankful for." 

 

Trepidly Heechul took Siwon's hands.  "Siwon-ah, what we have started out so much like a firework.  I was scared that it would explode and fade.  I didn't know where to go from where we began."

 

Siwon put his forehead against Heechul's, "I understand.  Our relationship needs to be more like an ember, a beautiful slow burn."  He leaned over and tenderly kissed the elder.  It was slow and sweet, but both knew it could grow heated.  They parted lips, looking hopefully at each other.

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Donghae had decided to take a swim before getting ready for Yesung to pick him up.  That left Leeteuk and Sungmin at the ranger station to muse about the latest events with the merman in their care.

 

"I really think you should lay off Yesung.  Donghae's noticing your reactions and his worried that you don't like him."

 

"The guy is fine.  I really have nothing against him.  Well, except for his strange preoccupation with aquatic life - including a budding relationship with Donghae."

 

"He doesn't seem to know that about Donghae yet.  Just curious - you jealous?"

 

"What me?  No, it's not that.  Frankly, since I started working here, I haven't had any time to pursue any kind of relationship with anyone.  Now with the Board of Trustees talking about the lack of funding, my concern is grants, not romance.  You know why I'm cold towards Yesung.  I think their relationship is dangerous.  Donghae is so vulnerable and who knows how Yesung will take it when he finds out Donghae's true form."

 

"You are such a pessimist!  Love will come along for us when we least expect it."  Leeteuk ruffled Sungmin's hair, to which he received a rare sign of loosening up from his coworker - a slight pout.

 

The younger recovered quickly.  "So, does that mean if one is always expecting to find love, that falling in love will never happen?  If I am a pessimist, you dear Leeteuk are a starry-eyed sop.  Come on, let's help Donghae get ready for his day with Yesung.  I'll even pick out the outfit."

 

"Oh, don't you dare!"  Leeteuk yelled, but Sungmin was already headed towards his haphazard closet.

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Donghae looked around as Yesung led him into his cafe.  Everything was just as described, including the man with the dark red hair that approaching them.  Introductions were made and they all settled in.  Yesung felt a slight tug on his sleeve and looked over at a perplexed Donghae.  "How his hair like that, red like a bird?"

 

"Oh, he colored it that way - on purpose", Yesung snickered as the image-conscious dancer hmpf'ed rather loudly.

 

Hyukjae looked the wide-eyed male up and down.  He cringed at the striped gold t-shirt, yellow plaid board shorts, black dress socks, and white tennis shoes that the brunette wore.  "Did they make you get dressed in the dark today?"  The red head narrowed his eyes slightly and grinned.

 

The humor was lost on the innocent newcomer.  "No, had lights on.  Sungmin hyung give me clothes.  Were his", he said in all seriousness.

 

Yesung shot a look over to Hyuk, "This explains quite a lot really."

 

Hyukjae sighed, "Come on, we can't have him dressed like this.  It's like a disservice to mankind or something."  Helping support Donghae, he lead the way, "Hyung, I'm taking him upstairs to find him some clothes that are easier on the eyes."  All the elder could do was shrug his shoulders and continue helping the lunchtime customers.

 

A look of surprise spread over Donghae's face when he looked into Hyukjae's well organized walk-in closet, "All room for clothes?  So many!"  His fingers lightly graced over a turquoise shirt.

 

The red head smiled at the child-like observations.  Just like Yesung had mentioned before, Donghae's views were rather endearing.  "Do you like that shirt?" Hyuk took it off the hanger and held it up.  "I think the color suits you better than it does me.  You can have it."

 

Donghae took the shirt and held it closely.  "Really?  Thank you hyung!"

 

"I'm not your hyung, silly.  Yesung said you are a few months older than me. Now lets find you some pants, socks, and shoes that work with the shirt."

 

Several minutes later, Hyukjae was helping Donghae make his way down the stairs to the cafe.  Seeing the brunette's transformation, a couple of Hyuk's high school followers gasped in awe.  (Didn't they ever have classes to go to?)  Everyone in the cafe was admiring Donghae as he descended the stairs.  The turquoise shirt that reminded him of Parang Lake in the summer, was paired with dark blue skinny jeans, and solid-black high top shoes.  Yesung approached him as he made it to the bottom of the stairs.  Before he thought the other adorable, now he saw him as breathtaking.   "Donghae, just look at you", he said brushing his fingers lightly over the younger's cheek.  The brunette felt his face flush and turned his head shyly, but the sweet moment was shortlived.

 

"Aish, you two, people are trying to eat.  Besides, I am inspired!  I've decided to take Donghae to the mall.  If you want to take him out places, he's going to need a decent wardrobe." 

 

Yes, one thing Hyukjae was very serious about, besides his dancing, was clothing.  He thought of this as a pet project of sorts, helping Donghae with his look while getting to know him better.  He could get some info (for Kyu) about the younger, help him with some clothes, and hopefully keep his hyung happy.  Though with the annoyed look Yesung was sending, the last part might be a challenge. 

 

"Seriously hyung!  I know you wanted Donghae to hang around the cafe and see the inner workings."  But that could get boring really fast  "We won't be that long, don't worry!", the red head helped Donghae walk towards the door.

 

Not quite sure what a "mall" was and still a little nervous, Donghae turned to Yesung.  "Is okay hyung?"  After a quick reassurance, the two went on their way.

 

----------

 

The street lights outside were turning on as the sun set.  Yesung was turning the lights off and flipping the sign on the cafe door to "closed" when he saw Hyukjae's car pull up.  The red-head was gathered loads of shopping bags from the trunk and helped Donghae out of the car.  He took Hyukjae's arm with both hands and was jabbering away.  Occationally he would laugh and tilt his head onto Hyuk's shoulder.  Inside, Yesung fumed.  How could he be forgotten so quickly?  Instead of looking at the scene in front of him, Yesung stormed towards the back of the cafe to gather his things - and his thoughts.

 

Balancing all the shopping bags and Donghae, Hyukjae fumbled with the key to the front door.  When he finally got it, Donghae leaned in, "Yesung hyung, is dark here.  Where' you?"  They continued to make their way in, turning on some lights.  Yesung came out from the back and leaned against the doorway, glaring.

 

"Hyung we're back!  Mall big.  So many people!  So much things!  Hyukkie nice to me.  I love bubble tea!  Had lot bubble tea... gotta go."  Donghae made his way to the restroom.

 

"Hey hyung, sorry we're late.  The mall was crowded.  It kinda freaked Hae out so we went to one of the quieter stores.  We just got some of the basics.  You know - shirts, jeans, socks, underwear.  He was a lot fun to shop with!  Everything looks so good on him."

 

"Including the underwear, right?"  Yesung's eyes were dark and his jaw set, looking ready for a fight.

 

"What the hell are you getting at saying such things?"  Hyuk dropped the bags and stepped forward, squaring his shoulders.

 

"Come on, you pulled him out of here not soon after being introduced.  I saw how he was hanging on you as you came in.  You must have spent a whole paycheck on those clothes, though you're known not to spend money on others.  And just now you were talking about how good he looks.  You even have nicknames for each other!  What the hell right back at you!"

 

"Stop!"  They turned to see tears streaming from Donghae's eyes.  "Stop fight now!"  Yesung ran over and pulled Donghae close.  The younger pressing his face into his chest.  "Please don't fight.  Hyukkie not like that to Hae.  Don't be mad."  His big chocolate eyes were pleading both.

 

Hyukjae started for the stairs.  "I'm going to let you two sort this out."

 

"I'm sorry freaked out.  We're going to be cool, right?"

 

"Yeah man, we're cool.  Just take care of each other.  Call me later, alright?"

 

After Hyukjae went upstairs to his flat, Yesung led Donghae over to one of the couches.  "Donghae, I am so sorry for yelling.  You were both gone for so long and when you finally came back you both looked so..."

 

"Hyukkie not like that.  Him, Sungmin hyung, Leeteuk hyung brother-friends of me."  He waited for what Yesung would say.  The elder normally spoke his mind easily, so Donghae found the silence difficult.  "You quiet hyung.  What think?"

 

"I - I was wondering what I am to you."  His heart quicken its pace as he wondered what the brunette would say.

 

Donghae looked up questioningly, "I know not name.  Feel different like this in ever, so warm... happy....  Think about you a lot.  Better than brother-friend.  You and me...closer.  You know name?"

 

Yesung beamed.  Donghae had explained it, in not so many words, but by the way he sat with him and the glimmer of anticipation in his eyes.  They felt the same.  He wrapped his smaller hands around the other's.  "I think the word you are looking for is 'boyfriend'.  Donghae-ah, would you be my boyfriend?"

 

"Yes, Yesung-ah, I'll be boyfriend of you."  With his answer, Yesung gave the younger a soft kiss on his forehead.  Donghae giggled shyly and wrapped his arms around the one he could now call his.  He closed his eyes and breathed out the new word once again, "Boyfriend."

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Ni Hao Ya'll!

Boyfriend, boyfriend, boyfriend (finally!)

Gravy this was a LONG chapter for you all to get through.  Almost as long as the winter we've had, but not quite.

If you all are still awake, let me know what you think of how Yesung, Donghae, Kyu, Hyuk, Siwon, Chullie, Mimi, Henry, Leeteuk, and Sungmin are doing!

Next chapter a certain heartfelt four-letter word may be said... maybe ;)  But under what circumstances?

Thank you all for reading!  I'm so happy to have readers, subscribers, upvoters, and commenters like you :)  MWAH!

P.S.  Anybody doing anything fun for Spring Break?