Blame it on the Noonday Sun

Blame It on the Turtles

A few weeks later...

 

Donghae had gotten into a rhythm placing boards and hammering nails so his mind was able to wander, not having to concentrate as much on the task Leeteuk and Sungmin had entrusted him with.  For over a week they had been working on building a walking bridge spanning the narrow part of the lake.  Finally he felt there was something he was able to do to earn his keep and show appreciation to the rangers who had taken him in.

 

He reflected on some of the things he was learning while trying to be more human:   Clothing was an annoyace though deemed a necessity by Leeteuk and Sungmin.  Forks, spoons, or chopsticks are used to eat - but not after dropped on the floor, certainly not to fling rice with, and very hard to get used to.  All the mysteries of the bathroom were figured out, hopefully.  If a human snores when he sleeps (like Sungmin, rather loudly) put pillows over your ears not over his face.  Hopefully soon he would figure out if the light in the refrigerator really turned off when the door closed.   

 

The sounds of hammering covered up the approaching footsteps.  Donghae was about to lay down another board and start to hammer when he heard a smooth, familiar voice,  "Afternoon Donghae!"

 

He turned, covering his eyes a bit to block the sun yet still see, "Yesung, what'cha doing here late?"

 

The elder looked over and smile slightly, seeing Donghae wearing just a worn pair of jeans and work shoes, "Hmm, enjoying the view."

 

Donghae looked around at the azure sky and full green summer trees, "Yeah, nice day today!"

 

Sungmin buried his head in his hands and groaned slightly, while Leeteuk snickered.  Yesung chuckled and sat down next to Donghae, draping his arm over the other's shoulders, "You really are one-of-a-kind, aren't you Donghae?"

 

His eyes got wide and slightly serious, "Yes, I am the last of my kind you know!"

 

Yesung looked over at Leeteuk who burst out with his unique laugh, which was soon contagious to everyone but Donghae who just looked perplexed.

 

"Today's my day off.  I just stopped by the cafe to pick up some sandwiches for us, Teukie-hyung's idea.  We can have lunch together and then walk around the lake, if you want."

 

Donghae nodded and looked over to the rangers.  He didn't notice Sungmin rolling his eyes as Leeteuk spoke, "Come on Min, we have some lunch waiting for us back at the station."

 

-----

Out of earshot of the budding couple, Sungmin whispered harshly, "I can't believe you are actually still encouraging this!  Donghae had an opportunity to explain himself just now and you helped him cover it up with that laugh of yours."

 

Leeteuk brushed him off, "Look at them Min, they're falling for each other.  I don't want to ruin such a sweet thing that they have going."

 

"Helpless romantic", he coughed out as they entered the ranger station.

-----

 

Donghae was relieved that Teukie suggested sandwiches to Yesung.  His lack of chopstick skills would be embarrassing.  "Thanks for the sandwiches hyung", he said in between bites.

 

"No problem, you've been working really hard on that bridge and it's coming along nicely.  I think it will be a great spot for watching sunsets when it's all finished."  He reached over and brushed a crumb off the corner of Donghae's mouth, causing the younger to turn his head slightly and blush.  "You said there was something on the other side of the lake you wanted to show me?"

 

"Yeah hyung, let's go."  They cleaned the picnic table and headed over, Yesung wrapping his arm around Donghae's waist to help him balance.  They made their way around and Donghae pointed out a large log on the edge of the lake that was normally rather empty.  But now, basking in the noonday sun were well over a dozen turtles.  "Most time like this, you working.  Today now, lots turtles.  Come on, I show you."

 

Yesung grinned like a little kid, "This is so cool!  How many of them are there?"  As they sat on the edge he was surprised that the turtles didn't all jump in the water and swim away.

 

Donghae was making a series of clicking sounds.  He stopped to answer, "21, most on log, some swimming.  Here, the big one, he's Ddangkoma, 68 season old."  He carefully held out the large turtle, who managed to remain calm.

 

"68 seasons?  So that's 17 years old.  Hey, I never asked, how old you are."

 

"97 season", he said as he carefully put Ddangkoma back on the log.

 

"So you are just over 24 years old then?  I'm going to be 26 at the end of the summer."

 

"If you say so hyung."  He shifted his feet around.  The way humans talk about age was different.  Years?  He would have to ask Sungmin or Leeteuk to explain more.

 

Yesung noticed the younger's discomfort, "So, you named a turtle sweet potato?  Did you name all of them?"

 

Donghae turned and giggled, "Nooo silly, they name 'selves!"

 

"Who are you calling silly, nature boy?"  Yesung lunged over and started tickling Donghae, who soon was returning light fast touches on his hyung's sides.  They continued until both were out of breath and collapsed into each other's arms.  Yesung looked into Donghae's deep brown eyes, "I could stay like this all day with you."

 

His eyes softened and he bit his lip slightly, "Could you hyung?"  Donghae didn't know how he could pull at heartstrings with those puppy eyes and sweet voice, but it affected Yesung just the same.

 

"Aw, I wish I could,"  He said while drawing Donghae closer, "But you have to get back to work on the bridge with Sungmin and Leeteuk hyung.  How 'bout I come back after dinner?"

 

Donghae thought for a moment and sat up, excited about his idea.  "Hyung, we watch fireflies tonight.  We sit, talk soft, and wait for the moon to shine."  He smiled, waiting to hear if that met approval.

 

Yesung breathed in and closed his eyes.  What a pure and dazzling world that Donghae had pulled him into.  He leaned in closer, only a breath away.  Donghae tilted his head and blinked in confusion, this was too new for him.  How could someone who knows so much about the outdoor world be so innocent in so many other ways? Yesung wondered.  He cupped his hand to Donghae's cheek, "That really sounds wonderful for tonight."

 

They were coming back to the start of the bridge when Leeteuk and Sungmin came out of the ranger station.  Donghae glanced at them and then to Yesung.  He thought about the rangers and how they cared for him.  He thought of them as friends, or even perhaps close like brothers as they looked out for each other.  Then he thought about the feelings for his family.  Though they were gone, the feelings were still strong.  The feelings that he had for Yesung he could not explain.  They didn't seem to fit exactly as friend or family.  He really could have stayed all day next to Yesung, just like he had said.  And when they were almost face to face, his heart felt like it would beat right out of his chest.  What did all of these new feelings mean?

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Howdy lovely readers!

It's -18*C right now.  Hope this bit of YeHae keeps you all nice and toasty!

Comments, subscribers, votes, friends, and even silent ninja readers all keep me warm and happy - so have at it ya'll ;)

MWAH!