Blame it on Spring Awakenings

Blame It on the Turtles

A/N - Extra long update to make up for the long wait.  Life has turned upside-down on this side of the lake, but more on that later.  Grab some popcorn (to throw at Kyu) and read on...

 

In the month following Kyuhyun's confession to Yesung, gradual changes were happening.  Verbal jibes and tickle fights were turning to whispers in the ear and caressing touches.  Passing glances became lingering gazes.  The back hugs that Yesung would sneak upon Kyu were now face-to-face.

 

Not all of the changes were between Yesung and Kyuhyun though.  At first, Yesung would be seen carrying around the wooden turtle that was carved by Donghae.  It would be riding around his his shirt or coat pocket, coming out to be held and looked over.  Having the turtle so near was holding onto the hope that Donghae could return at any time.  Then the turtle was placed on Yesung's nightstand, looked at every night before going to sleep.  Finally the intricate turtle was transferred to a living room bookshelf with other momentos and knick-knacks.  It's once shiny eyes collecting bits of dust as what it had all represented seemed to be in the past.  If the little turtle could see with those dusty eyes, he would have observed the two humans who share an apartment growing closer.

 

Kyuhyun awoke to the sound of birds outside the apartment.  Yes, those were birds, weren't they?  

Never the nature boy, he was teased last night when Yesung forced him outside for a late day walk and was amazed by all of the sights and sounds he had never noticed before.  "Why are those birds making so much noise this late?", he had complained.  

"It's because their frogs, not birds, genius", Yesung laughed.  

But Kyu hated to be wrong, "Nah, frogs don't chirp, they ribbit.  Don't try to fool me just because I prefer the indoors."

"Really Kyu, the frogs are called Spring Peepers and hearing them is a sign that we're finally out of that wicked winter we had."  The two grasped each others hands a little tighter then.  "They're also a sign that's its going to get dark soon, so we'd better head back to our place."  Our place, our place,  Kyu grinned inwardly as the words echoed in his head. 

 

Up early for work that spring morning Kyu was surprised to see Yesung already busy making breakfast in the kitchen.  "Yeye, you don't have to do that.  I've been making breakfast lately and you don't have to be at work until noon."

 

Yesung motioned for him to join him at the table, "While I appreciate you mastering the coffee maker, toaster, and microwave bacon - it's going to be a long day and I thought you'd need all your energy."

 

"Really?",  Kyu's eyes darted back and forth nervously.  Other than work, he had no plans for the day.  Damn, am I forgetting something?  The two ate breakfast in silence while the grin on Yesung's face got larger and larger by the minute.  Finally Kyu was exasperated enough, "Alright, what is it?!?  You look like the cat who ate the canary!"

 

"Well, I was going to save these for when we got back from work..."  Yesung pulled two tickets from his pocket and playfully waved them in front of Kyu, "Two advanced screening tickets for the midnight showing of that sci-fi film you've been going on about for months."

 

Kyu snatched the tickets away and looked them over, "How did you get these Sungie?  They've been sold-out for weeks now!"

 

"Anything for you, within reason.  It also helps that the owner of the theater comes in every Tuesday and Thursday for a raspberry white mocha."

 

"Hey, you stole my line!", the younger pouted.  Anything for you, within reason.  That's what he told Yesung the night the younger confessed to him.

 

"Yes, and I'm going to steal this, too..."  While Kyu's lips were still stuck in a slight pout, Yesung's lips met his.  The kiss was soft and would have been chaste if it weren't for the glint in Yesung's eyes.  The feeling lingered long after their lips parted which made Kyu bite his lower lip slightly.  "Now you'd better get to work.  You know if you're late, Heechul will start asking prying questions.  We're getting tons of supply deliveries tonight right after we close so I'll meet you at the theater.  Love you!"  He lightly pushed him towards the door.  As he was closing it, he saw Kyu in the hallway spin around and pump his fist in the air.  Leaning against the door he warmly chuckled.  Finally, his heart felt whole again.

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

"Min", the brunette looked deep into his eyes, "you've truly made me the happiest man on the planet"  His flushed cheeks contrasted with his porcelain skin and the ivory satin sheets underneath him. 

"Only the planet?"  the elder answered, his bow-shaped lips feigning a sad pout, "I'll have to try harder."  He moved closer, brushing up against the other ever so slightly causing him to gasp.

"I... I think that you're hard enough already..."

He hovered over and breathily replied, "Really?  Enough to go again?"  

"Yes Min...please..."

 

"Bwahahaha!" The cackling laughter of his co-worker shot Sungmin rudely out of his daydream.  

 

"Ugh, Leeteuk, what the hell?"

 

"Mind your manners Sungmin, I am your hyung and your superior"  He still was snickering, "You looked like the biggest dork staring out the window just now.  In fact, I've noticed you've been kind of out there the past month.  Tell me you've found someone!"

 

"There's nothing to tell hyung", he sighed.  As if I even have a name to tell you.  I see this guy once for a few brief moments and he's affected me this much.  Why can't I get him out of my head?

 

"Really?  With the look you had just now, you were definitely thinking about someone!", Leeteuk dodged the stressball squishy that Sungmin winged at him.  It sounded like it landed harder than it should have.  "What did you just throw at me?  It made a knocking sound when it landed!"

 

"No, it wasn't the stressball... There's the sound again.  I'm going to check the door."

 

Leeteuk didn't have to wait long.  He heard a colorful exclamation from Sungmin when the door was opened, followed by excited chatter.  "Donghae!", he cried as he made his way over.  Said merman was leaning heavily on a walking stick.  His body looked painfully thin after months of hybernating.  His hair had grown to almost touch the oversided t-shirt that was covering him.

 

"Hi Teukie hyung", he answered quietly.  "Sungmin hyung said that it was a really long winter.  I'm happy to be back.  I can't believe it's been four months!  Did Yesung ask about me?"

 

A worried glance was passed from Leeteuk to Sungmin.  They hadn't heard a thing.  Without missing a beat Sungmin replied, "The winter was so brutal people didn't venture out this way.  I saw only one or two people visit in all of the snow. Hmm, not to change the subject, but how did your Korean improve so fast?"

 

Donghae looked up sheepishly and shrugged, "I don't know hyung.  I guess it happened while I slept."

 

"Boy, wouldn't that have been something when I was taking calculus!", Leeteuk laughed. The rangers turned when Donghae's stomach growled loudly.  "Sungmin, get this boy some food while I work on getting him settled in."

 

Sungmin was careful not to leave his hands in the way when setting down food as Donghae was scarfing down any food within reach, "Slow down!  You'll get sick stuffing yourself so quickly."

 

"Not...possible...hyung," he said between bites.  Soon his eyes glazed over with food bliss.  He stretched then patted his stomach in satisfaction.  Seeing the day on the calendar Donghae thought a bit, "Too bad it's Thursday.  Yesung always has to work late with deliveries.  I wonder how soon I'll be able to see him."

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

In the midst of stacking boxes of paper coffee cups, Hyukjae stood slack-jawed, "Mr. Kwon gave you two passes for the movie tonight?  I waited three hours in front of the theater that day it rained so badly and they sold out just before I got to the ticket window!  Of all the stupid luck hyung.  Well, I'm sure Kyu is thrilled."

 

"Yeah, he was jumping down the hall like a little kid.  I mean, it was mostly from the movie tickets, probably..."  Yesung blushed suddenly realizing what he had inferred.

 

"Oh", Hyuk replied flatly, trying not to sound disgusted.  He had known of Kyu's feelings for Yesung ages ago.  But this budding relationship he didn't approve of, not when there were loose ends with Donghae - where ever he was.  "Well, looks like we only have a couple more boxes then you can be on your way."

 

Just as they were finishing up, the buzzer at the back door went off.  Yesung sighed, "Ugh, I really wasn't expecting any more deliveries."

 

"Go ahead and get your jacket hyung.  I can take care of it for you."  Hyuk went to the back and pressed the com button, "Yes?"

 

"Gotta delivery here for Yesung.  Hope it's not too late."

 

Hyukjae peered through the security hole in the door.  A guy in a white jacket was standing there smiling a mile wide - seemed harmless enough.  But where were the delivery boxes?  And wait, for the cafe and other business, Yesung preferred to be called Jongwoon.  Hyuk opened the door cautiously.

 

"Yesung?", the smiley guy asked.

 

"No, Jongwoon is getting ready to leave for the evening.  What can I help you with?"

 

"Hyukkie?" a voice tentatively asked as a familiar face appeared behind the smiley guy.

 

"Hae!  Oh my God, Hae it's really you!"  The red-head squeezed him tightly and ruffled his hair.  "Where have you been?  We've been wondering about you!"

 

Leeteuk quietly took his leave as Hyukjae yelled, "Yesung!  Yesung!  Get in here now!"

 

Quick footsteps could be heard coming towards the back door.  "What's wrong -   Donghae?"  The things Yesung was carrying all fell to the floor as a dozen feelings crashed into him.  He could feel his breathing shorten and his heartbeat increase as he looked upon the man he had first given his heart to.  The one whom he thought was gone.  "Hae?", he called weakly, his voice cracking as tears collected in the corners of his eyes.

 

Donghae took several poorly-balanced steps forward and grasped onto Yesung, burying his face into the crook of the elder's neck.  Suddenly he pulled away, looking confused, "Your scent...It's different."

 

Yesung cast a worried glance to Hyukjae.  Kyu, it's Kyu.  But how could Donghae tell?

 

Hyukjae thought quickly and pulled the two back together with an awkward group hug , "It's been a long time Hae.  I'm sure you both have a lot to talk about.  There's a great new movie that I'm going to catch with an old college friend.  I'll take my leave so you two can catch up."

 

Over Donghae's shoulder Yesung glared at Hyukjae.  How did he think that was going to help?  Leaving him alone to sort out the mess while Hyuk went out instead with Kyu.

 

As much as Yesung didn't approve, Hyukjae was trying his best at damage control.  If Kyu was kept waiting too long at the theater, he would naturally go back to the cafe, only to find Donghae there.  That couldn't happen, so a diversion had to be made.  And, hey, if he got to see his awaited movie also, all the better.

 

The two made their way over to a couch in the main room.  They sat, their foreheads touching lightly.  Neither dared say anything - Donghae fearing to say where he had been all winter - Yesung not wanting to admit that in that time he had fallen for another.  Asking questions would only get answers that deep down they didn't want to hear.  So quietly they held each other only by the forearms and listen to their familiar breathing.  It wasn't as easy as Donghae had hoped.  This wouldn't be like jumping back into the water.  Though Donghae couldn't feel it, too much time must have past for the other just to pick up where they had left off.  The uncomfortable quiet was soon broken by a text message alert on Yesung's phone ...

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Hyukjae made it to the theater with a few minutes to spare.  He ran into the lobby and caught the eye of a very impatient-looking Kyuhyun.  "Ugh, what are you doing here?  What happened to Yesung?"

 

"He had to clear some things up with a last minute delivery."  The red-head grabbed a handful of his former roommate's popcorn. "I was sent to keep you company," he said with his mouth full.

 

"Fine, let's head to our seats, and keep your stingy hands out of my popcorn."

 

Just 20 minutes into the movie and it wasn't what Kyuhyun was expecting.  Sure the special effects were state-of-the-art and there was even some sort of plot with two different alien races, one sent to destroy the earth and one coming to Earth's rescue.  He really couldn't get into the movie though.  Some little feeling nagged at him because Hyukjae was there and not Yesung.

 

Even though Kyu knew he was supposed to keep his phone off in the theater, he took it out and typed a message (Hope you were able to clear up everything w/ the late delivery.  It's not the same here w/out you)

 

The reply took a couple minutes to come and left a shiver running down his spine (It's not.  It's Donghae.  He's back.  UR right, I have to clear things up)

 

"What the hell?!?"  Kyu stood, slapping his tub of popcorn, causing the salty, greasy kernals to rain over Hyukjae and other movie-goers.  "You knew about this!  He's with him right now and you were going to keep it from me!"  

 

Milk Duds, Junior Mints, and Lemon Heads peppered the two former roommates as Kyu ran out of the theater and Hyuk took off after him.  "Damn those Milk Duds hurt", Hyuk said under his breath as he dodged annoyed viewers.  "Kyu, hey wait up!  Gimme the keys.  I'm not going to let you drive over there angry."

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Yesung snapped his phone closed and looked solomnly over at Donghae.  "It's really late.  I should probably be taking you back to the cabin."  To the younger, the words sounded stiff.  Was it defeat or uncertainty written on his face as he spoke?

 

Once again, an uncomfortable silence fell between them in the car.  Donghae looked expectantly towards Yesung, but all the other did was face forward, concentrating way too hard on the road and avoiding a beautiful set of puppydog eyes just to the right of him.

 

Wind crinkling tree leaves and insects buzzing broke the late night stillness as Yesung helped Donghae to the front of the cabin.  "When... will I see you again?", he asked hesitantly before opening the door.

 

"I don't know", Yesung answered quickly but then leaned over and kissed Donghae's forehead lightly, reminiscent of their first kiss.

 

As he hurried back to his car he could hear Donghae call out, "I love you!".  If he opened his mouth he knew his tears would start, so all Yesung did was nod and give a sad smile before getting in the car.  

 

Although the drive home was only a few short kilometers the pounding in his chest made it seem interminable.  Instead of resolve, confusion clouded his mind. Nervously coming into the flat he saw Kyuhyun.   Mixtures of hurt, jealously, anger, love, and loss painted his face.  Before the younger could react, Yesung clung to him, giving a shaky whisper in his ear, "Don't let go Kyu-ah.  Don't let go."

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

A/N - Did you expect that little bit of MinKyu in there?!? Blame Aleihs19 ;) (kekeke)

Yeah, this chapter is pure chaos - kind of like life here right now.  We're going to be moving and finding new schools before summer's end. Totally stressed out trying to find what's best for everyone.  ARGH!

Was this too much angst?  I'll have to switch it up.  Next chapter they'll be thunderstorms.  Wonder what kind of changes that will bring?

With all of the craziness happening, I really appreciate everyone reading and supporting this fishy fic.  THANK YOU!