The Downsides of a Falling Heart

Lessons in Love
Please log in to read the full chapter

The way Lina sees it – there are three downsides to being around and slowly falling in love with Jung Yunho (once again).

 

 

The first downside was that it is comfortable – a little too much so that sometimes it makes her forget all the idiotic things he’s said and done during the short time they stopped being anything to each other in the first place.

If it weren’t comfortable, then Yunho wouldn’t have been so cool and friendly. He wouldn’t be calling her at ungodly hours at night (“There’s nothing good on TV and Changmin’s ran my iPad’s battery out after playing God knows what. Think you could spare an hour talking to me for a bit?” “I saw your Cyworld update about baking. You actually know how to cook now?”) especially when he’s bored and can’t sleep because he knows that she’s probably also bored and can’t sleep too.

But the more he remains the same, friendly and cool, the more she wants to be awake to receive his calls. It begins to feel like things could go back to how it used to be – before the drama of being too busy as idols or the difficulties of keeping their relationship hidden from the public – because in the end, he really hasn’t changed at all and she knows that. She knows that he still collects coins and saves them in the large plastic gallon bottle he keeps in between his desk and dresser and that he still eats ramen when he’s up too late and can’t get to sleep. She’s come to enjoy knowing the fact that Yunho hasn’t changed all that much and that she still knew him the way she did from before.

Probably when they go out to drink with their colleagues, he won’t realize that she hasn’t been pretending to ignore him or sitting away from him. Probably he won’t realize that she’s been laughing too much at his lame jokes and turning her head towards him all night. Probably he won’t realize that she hasn’t been able to keep from not smiling and that her cheeks are beginning to hurt a little bit but she just can’t stop because he’s being too cute right now and really what else could a girl do but smile?

So yes, it’s too comfortable. It’s too much for her heart to take when she’s been so keen in filing him and their time together away from her memories. If it were any more than this, she probably wouldn’t be able to hold herself away any more.

Somehow though, she doesn’t think that’s such a bad idea either.

 

 

The second downside is, if Lina hasn’t completely lost it yet and she thinks she might as well have, is that her best friend might actually be totally okay with this.

Not that she’s said it out loud yet. Stephanie called one day and asked Lina flat out if something was going on between Yunho and her again, and she had completely denied it—waving her hand about as if her friend could see her from miles and miles away in America and hoping to sound normal while her heart hammered against her chest—but still, she got the feeling that Stephanie didn’t seem to think it would be a bad idea. And if this thing between her and him were any more comfortable, then Lina isn’t sure just how long she could keep from bursting the three words from her lips.

But she will keep quiet. At least, for a little while longer as she sorted her feelings out. Mostly because she doesn’t have the guts to (it’s self-preservation, she reasons, things could turn out bad if she opened too soon), and also bec

Please log in to read the full chapter