✝ chapter three: Cherry Blossom Festival

✝ Cross Academy

"Cafe! Beautiful cakes!"

"Come get your face painted!"

"Try your hand in hand games!"

"It sure is busy," Kin sighed as he walked through the school. Today was the Cherry Blossom Festival and there were no classes on, courtesy of the esteemed headmaster. Some classrooms, many in fact were empty. But the classrooms that were being used for the festival were congregated in one area and each one was filled with noise and happiness.

"KIN-CHAN!" Two girls squealed in unison and Kin prayed to the ear goddess that his eardrums would survive today. "Can you give this to 2-B?" The two girls held out a white cake box, possible full of pastries.

He knew 2-B, even though he was a year above them, in 3-C. 2-B was possibly the most popular class to go through Cross Academy, holding the poker-faced Akito who was someone exceedingly popular with the girls because he beared the closest ressemblance to the Night Class as well as the school role model Kei. Both were the children of the headmaster, both were quite popular. Oh and how could be forget Ryou, the best brain that this school has ever been blessed with and possibly the tallest. But his harsh attitude was a bit of a turn-off. Those three were nicknamed the 'Golden Trio' and were pretty popular, Akito perhaps more than the other two.

"O-Of course," Kin smiled, rubbing the back of his neck awkwardly. Inside he cursed. He really should stop agreeing to everything. His class had convinced him to do a dress-up cafe so the girls had instantly gone crazy over the kawaii dresses and the guys were dressed...like game characters. They had made cakes decorated like anime figurine and the like; Kin had to admit, would have gone over better than traditional Japanese green tea served with dango or something.

What thoughts were those. He was walking down a corridor and wasn't paying attention! It was lucky that he didn't trip. But after some narrow misses were guys dressed in karate uniforms (what on earth?) and girls dressed as maids (okay, Kin was just a bit scared by them). There was a lot of noise and an inordinate amount of girls milling around 2-B's classroom. And when he looked he knew why.

2-B had done a host club.

The partition that connected their classroom and the neighbouring usually empty one had been removed, giving them double the space. Kin couldn't help the whistle of admiration that exhaled out of him when he say how artfully decorated it'd been. The average classroom had been completely tranformed. Thin, pink mesh curtains hung over the window, giving the room a romantic, cherry blossum feel. There were potted trees in the corners and they pushed the tables together and thrown an off-white tablecloth over it, with vases of flowers in the centres and antique English teacups with the smell of Earl Grey, Darjeeling and other traditional afternoon teas in the air. A long buffet table was situated at the far end, with stacks of scones with jam and cream, cupcakes, cucumber sandwiches, all in the fashion of a traditional English high tea.

The girls were the waitresses, dressed in cute uniforms in black that made the guys go gaga over. Welcoming smiles were on the two girls faces that opened the door for him and a few others were milling around the tables, holding platters of food and transferring them from the buffet table to the 'host tables'. There were also waiters, the less attractive guys, dressed with a swallow tailcoat in black with a bow tie. But the attractive men, especially the golden trio were the centre of attention. There were perhaps a total of seven hosts in the room and each was dressed in a different colour that almost looked like a rainbow. Each host was seated at a different table on couches (where did they get those from?) with a couple of girls next to him, a few in front. Some hosts were even attended by guys.

But Kin's attention was on Ryou, his study buddy, Kei, the ever-welcoming student and Akito, who scared him just a bit. Those three, unlike the other hosts, weren't dressed up in tuxedos. They were dressed up. The image of a Victorian gentleman with the double buttons and a top hat, a flower in the buttonhole which was of course, pink but not necessarily a cherry blossom. While it would have looked stuffy on others, those three just pulled it off flawlessly.

Ryou was dressed a white outfit with a black button-down and a black top-hat, with a white ribbon and a red boutonneire. It contrasted quite nicely with his black hair. Kei was dressed in a maroon outfit with a white button down, a black top-hat with a bright red ribbon and a white boutenneire. His hair looked like it had red highlights when it was in fact a dark brown and the warm colours complimented each other. Akito wore dark royal blue outfit, a black button down, black top hat with a navy ribbon and a pink boutonniere. His hair was a lighter shade compared to the others amd almost made him look completely foreign.

Wow. Just wow.

Why hadn't Kin thought of that? The sales would have gone through the roof! He practically stood dumbstruck in the hallway until Kei looked up from the girls who were laughing and his eyes instantly lit up.

"Yasuhiro-senpai! What can we do for you?" Kei's tone, as always was friendly and warm, standing up to welcome Kin.

"A-ah yea," Kin stuttered. Why on earth was he stuttering. "My classmates told me to give you this." As he spoke, his voice got stronger and he handed over, practically shoved the cake box in Kei's hands. Kei opened it, his eyes instantly becoming bright as he noticed the vast amount of junk food in there.

"Senpai," Kei started, his voice serious.

"Y-yes?" Oh god, what if he didn't like it.

"You...are a god. Please, stay with me forever!" Kei proclaimed dramatically, causing many of the girls to laugh at his antics. Kin blushed a bright red, willing the blood to leave his face. He knew it was a joke but still...one shouldn't joke about those things around Kin!

"What is it Kei?" Akito walked up, Kei having bit happily into one of the cupcakes with a huge amount of whipped cream on there.

"KAY-GAH!" Kei exclaimed enthusiastically. It was to Akito's credit that he's spent years dealing with Kei's food jibberish and knew that to mean 'cake'.

"I see," he smiled softly at Kei's happy expression. "Ah, you have something." He motioned to the corner of his lips, Kei frowning and reaching for the opposite side that Akito was indicating. "Not there...you know what." Akito whipped out the handkerchief that was in his pocket, coming with the Victorian-esque outfit, holding Kei's chin gently in one hand and carefully wiping the smudge of cream away.

The sounds of the fangirl squeals at the bromance esclated tenfold.

"Oh thank you Akito-chan!" Kei smiled brightly, obliviously and Kin wanted to bash his head into a desk at Kei's oblivation to Akito's romantic inclinations. There was a round of 'awws' and coos from the girls who had evidently caught the momentary downcast look on Akito's face.

"Did three year olds make those cakes?" Ryou had walked up and after seeing the cakes which kind of looked like playdough icing, made a bit of mean comment.

"Oi!" Kin puffed up, looking indignant. "Your senpais made them have some respect!"

Ryou said nothing, lookind down at the ground which was a sign of his apology. The boy was too proud to outrightly say it. "I suppose they'll taste better than they look." Kin recognised the compliment for what it was and held out one as a piece offering, the richest chocolate mud cupcake there was. It wasn't unknown that the golden trio all seemed to have a love for junk. Akito loved chocolate, Ryou loved sweets and Kei...just liked junk food in general. And yet they had perfect physiques and were all pretty tall. Kin moaned internally at his lack of height.

A roar seemed to come up from the crowd, the girls shouting in excitement. The four of them looked confused and Kin and Ryou walked to the door, Ryou using his tall height to his advantage.

"Hey Kin-senpai?" Ryou asked. Kin 'mhmm'-ed in response and Ryou continued. "Are Night Class students supposed to be here now?"

"What?!" Kin and Akito exclaimed at one. Kin jumped up and down and it was true, there were three white-uniformed students walking through the corridor.

"We're here to join in the festivities!" The centre of the little procession, Eiji proclaimed, whipping roses out of nowhere and giving them to students. A bright smile was on his face but Kin could clearly see the eyebags and the forced expression.

"Eiji-sama," one of his fangirls asked breathlessly, blushing right up to her hair. "Why are you in the building in the daytime?"

"Why my sweet," Eiji murmured, gently grasping her chin, leaning down and putting less than a hand between their faces. "To see your beautiful face of course. How could I miss this show of wonderousness!" He exclaimed to the crowd, the girl vowing never to wash her face again while her friends crowded around her, eager for a first-hand report.

"Eiji-sama." A hushed quiet fell as the fangirls held their breaths as Ringo waltzed up, dressed in the boys uniform again. "I-I like you very much! W-would you l-l-l." Ringo cleared his throat, not looking at Eiji who was watching with bemusement. Even though the girls were completely infatuated with Eiji, they were all fangirls too and they knew what was going to happen. "Wouldyoulikegohavelunchwithme!" Ringo blurted out, squeezing his eyes shut.

It was deadly silent as the entire crowd seemed to hold their breath for Eiji's response. "Ringo-kun...was it?" Eiji said. If Ringo had looked up, he wouldn't have seen the soft, sympathetic look that Eiji sent him but his voice was devoid of emotion, simply bland. It sounded very much like a practised response that he'd vomitted out all the time, though for the first time to another male. "I'm sorry but...I cannot accept your kind words. I am not deserving of such a pure emotion. I'm sorry."

Ringo's head hung low and he tried to force back the tears that were creeping up on him. He felt a heavy weight on his hand, and he knew that it belonged to his Eiji-sama and that was probably the first and only touch he would ever warrant from his idol. "Don't be sad. There are people out there whom will love you and whom are worthy of your love. That person is not me." And then he swept past, talking loudly, so loud in the deathly silence about a store that was having fishballs and how he'd not had fishballs in such a long time.

"Chin up!" Eiji's best friend known as Junmyeon grinned as he walked past.

"Don't feel too bad. That's just the effect Eiji has on people." It was the tomboy girl, Amber who had her hair cut short and her skirt worn long because she truly didn't want to wear one.

Ringo did the only thing he knew to do. He ran. Once he left, the hall exploded into chatter. When Kin looked back into the room, he saw that Ryou was watching the disappearing figure of Ringo outside the window with a distant look in his eyes. Akito had a sneering look on his face amd from the smack he'd received from Kei, he obviously hadn't said anything nice and he watched Kei lecture for a while without actually seeing.

"Kin-senpai!" A soft female voice snapped him out of his reverie and he looked up to see one of the waitress girls from 2-B standing over him. "Do you mind sending this box back to 3-C and giving this note to 2-A? They're doing the traditional Japanese dress-up."

"Of course," his mouth replied automatically. So continued another day of Kin's errand boy 'duties'.

******************************

"Don't cry."

When Ringo looked up, he saw a Victorian gentleman standing over him, a handkerchief held out in a silent offering. As he dabbed the tears away, not even caring if his eyeliner smudged, his vision blurred to see the school's number one Ryou standing there. Or sitting really, as he had made himself at home in the spot next to Ringo. They were sitting on the fountain that overlooked a silent courtyard, the trees stagnant in the non-existent wind.

"Thank you," Ringo sniffled, hiccupping ungracefully and telling himself repeatedly how silly it was that he was crying over his idol who he had no chance of being with anyway.

"Sugiyama rejects everyone," Ryou mentioned and Ringo gave a watery smile at the ground.

"Yea. I know. But I still thought I had a chance...but that was silly of me."

"Well, you would have had more of a chance than the girls," Ryou mentioned casually, picking at the grass, yanking it up and shredding it and repeat.

Ringo tilted his head in confusion. "What makes you say that?"

"You don't know?" Ryou said curiously. "I thought everyone knew. Sugiyama's about as straight as cooked spagetti."

"So I shouldn't have dressed as a girl?" Ringo said in disbelief.

"You look horrible dressed as a girl anyway," Ryou said dismissively, waving a hand. Crap that came out wrong. Ryou mentally winced at Ringo's face. And the conversation had been going to well since then.

"R-right," Ringo stuttered. "You know what, maybe you should leave. I need to get my...asthma puffer. And my mask. OH MY GOD I FORGOT TO WEAR MY MASK."

Yep, Ryou thought. That didn't go well at all.

******************************

"It's too bright!" Eiji whined. The trio had managed to get away from the fans, only after giving them lots and lots of fanservice, eating their foodstuffs, smiling, whatever. They were now in a deserted classroom on the other side of the school, away from where the main event was happening.

"This is all your fault you know," Amber said crossly, but with a fond smile in her face. "If you hadn't pissed of Yorukage-sama, we wouldn't be in this situation."

"Look, no one asked you to join in," Eiji stuck out his tongue childishly, yelling when Amber whacked him across the face not gently and caused him to bite his tongue. And with his fangs...that kind of hurt. "Ow! !" He massaged his jaw, up the droplets of blood that leaked.

"Watch your mouth," Junmyeon said with a laugh. Even though he was best friends with Eiji, it was mostly a one-sided thing, or so he believed. He knew his place as a common vampire compared to Eiji and Amber who were both aristocrats. Eiji ranked the highest out of the trio, after all, his father was the head of the Vampire Council. He stood with his back to the sunlight streaming through the open window, blocking it for Eiji, when said vampire didn't really notice because it happened too often.

"I'll say...who's that?" Eiji asked curiously. There had been a figure in the black uniform of the day class just sprinting back and forth across the school grounds. He would know, they were on the top floor.

"A human," Amber said at the same time that Junmyeon said "Yasuhiro." Eiji gave Amber a look that said 'gee thanks captain obvious' but turned to Junmyeon.

"Does he alawys...run so much?" Eiji crinkled up his nose. Exercise was not high on the list of things that he liked to do.

"They call him 'errand boy'," Junmyeon said with a laugh. Amber threw her head back and laughed out loud at the nickname. In a way, it was like an insult, but a fond one depending on who used it. "He's---where are you going?"

"Downstairs," Eiji said, already half-way down the stairs.

"Downstairs, DOWNSTAIRS, why?" Amber said, already standing up to follow him.

"You stay here," Eiji said. "I'll be back soon."

Well he did go downstairs...eventually. He first headed for the roof. That Yasuhiro guy was interesting him except that he had disappeared again. The human ran pretty fast.

Okay, he regretted that decision.

Outside, it was BRIGHT. Why on earth he had decided to go to the roof inthe middle of the ing day was beyond him. The roof had no shade around it and he swayed in the doorway, the lights blinding him and the vertigo overwhelming. But he was an aritocrat vampire and he wasn't going to let those things get him down. When the spots cleared from his vision, though things were still so bright that he had to squint, he walked over, looking down on the school grounds from above. Was the grass always that shade of green? It wasn't that hard to find Yasuhiro. He seemed to be talking to another group of girls before running across again. Huh. So he really was the errand boy. But by the time he got back down again, Yasuhiro would be somewhere else.

Well as they say, yolo right? He wasn't going to die, at least if no one saw him. So he vaulted over the rooftop, plumetting four storeys before landing lightly on the ground, smoothing down his hair. He always had to look his best after all.


Anna; I'm going to go say that school has just started. This is like...a week after school started? Back in March/April, during spring aka cherry blossum season! I will skip a few weeks and stuff to try to get the season to match what it is now. Yea, I know this is a bit short. The next chapter will still be the same day I think. By the way, this day is the day right after last chapter's night.

Double update guys, check out the previous chapter.