✝ chapter two: The Night Class

✝ Cross Academy

"SUHOU-SAMA!"

"EIJI-SAMA!"

"OH MY GOD I LOVE YOU PLEASE MARRY ME!"

"ALL OF YOU GET BACK!" Kei yelled, his voice cracking as he strained to be heard over the masses of fangirls lining the ways, from the shut gates in front of the Moon Dormitory to only a third of the distance away from the main school building. Sometimes, he wondered why on earth he had agreed to this job. Then he remembered just how convincing his adoptive father could be and shook his head.

"DAMNIT IF YOU WANT TO GREET THEM AT LEAST LINE UP IN AN ORDERLY FASHION!" Kei whined loudly, flinging his arms out in a vain attempt to stave off the screaming fangirls. "Oh Akito you're here, help meeeeee!" Kei gave his cutest face, begging Akito with his eyes as the other walked up, hands in his pockets.

"Wow. I can see just how good of a job you're doing," Akito said bluntly, raising an eyebrow as he surveyed the masses.

"Shut up," Kei grumbled. "It's your job too."

Akito inclined his head, acknowleding that yes, it was his duty too even though he was more coerced into it than anything. "GET THE BACK!" He bellowed. Instantly, the girls lined themselves in an orderly fashion on the edges of the rather wide bridge, creating a clear and easy path for the Night Class to get to their studies.

"Wow."

"I know. No need to thank me."

"Shut up," Kei snorted, rolling his eyes, the two of them walked down to the end, Akito glaring at every girl that walked past to hammer in the message, if they put a single toe out of line, that toe would be chopped off and the rest fed to wild wolves.

As the rays of the sun started to fade, the gates creaked open and the Night Class stood in all their spendour and beauty. It was known that the students of the Night Class all seemed to possess an ethereal and uncanny natural beauty and perfection. Each one of them had not a single blemish or something wrong, the features working harmoniously with another to create a flawless visage. It was no wonder they were so idolised in the school.

At the forefront of the procession stood Suhou, the president of the Moon Dormitory and certainly the most popular guy on the campus. Every stride he took vibrated with charisma and power. He spared not a glance to the lines of frantic (and fainting) girls on the side, keeping a calm face the entire time. On his left was Kaede, a quiet girl with an impassive expression that had the fangirls gnashing their teeth for her proximity to their 'Suhou-sama'. Nonetheless, they knew how she was practically part of him in a way, accepting the numerous presents, chocolates mostly, on Suhou's behalf.

"Oh gosh he's so gorgeous," one girl swooned, falling down unconcious and hitting the ground. Her friend was too busy being entranced by her idols to notice. Some friend.

To Suhou's right and a bit behind him was Komuro. He smiled gently and waved at the girls, a kind and friendly expression on his face as he graciously accepted the numerous gifts that his fans had to give him. One gift in particular struck his attention. "Oh cherry tomatos!" His eyes lit up when he saw the plastic box of red fruits/vegetables (he himself didn't even know). He gave the fan from whom he accepted the tomatos a particular luminescent grin to which she promptly passed out.

Not far behind the primary trio was Eiji, a close contestant for the most popular award. He definitely gave the fans a time worth watching for, waving, grinning, winking and blowing kisses. "Bang!" He grinned and winked at the same time, forming a gun with his fingers and aiming it at a particular enthusiastic fan. She screamed, turned bright red and...you guessed it, fainted.

The infirmary was going to have a lot to deal with again.

"Really Eiji-chan?" Komuro said fondly, rolling his eyes at his friend's antics.

"Oh lighten up!" Eiji grinned, waving his hands around again, cheered on by the enthusiastic screams of his fangirls. "It's just some harmless fun."

"Of course," Komuro muttered, not even needing to be quiet because the noise drowned out everything.

As the Night Class students neared the end of the pathway, Kei's eyes were completely focused on his long time crush. They were wide and adoring, painfully obvious as he stared at the Moon Dormitory's president. "Good work today Kei," Suhou smiled softly, laying a hand on Kei's head and mussing up the hair there.

"S-Suhou-senpai!" Kei whined, stuttering, red painting his cheeks as he rearranged his hair again. He stared at the ground, his infatuation with Suhou blatant.

Suhou chuckled, raising his eyes. "You too Akito." After all, they were both disciplinary committee members, even though he knew of the other's hatred for him.

"Don't patronise me Yorukage," Akito spat, arms crossed and his posture rigid.

"How dare you speak to Suhou-sama with that level of disrespect!" An ugly expression marred the beauty of Eiji's face as he stepped out, fists clenched in anger. Unbeknownst to the little group, the fangirls had fallen completely silent, watching the exchange with rapture on their faces as they were overwhelmed by feels.

"You should be kneeling on the ground and begging for his forgiveness you insolent brat!" Eiji pushed Akito hard, causing the other to stumble backwards. Even though Eiji was shorter than Akito, as a vampire he was physically stronger.

"Brat?" Akito sneered, grabbing Eiji by the collar and invading his personal space. "You're the younger one you child. I'll respect who I choose to and your precious 'Suhou-sama' is not one of them."

"You DARE---!"

"Oh yea. What are you going to do? Yell at me?"

Suhou who had been watching the exchange with an impassive expression so far turned his head slightly. As if it was planned, Komuro turned his at the same moment, and the two made eye contact, Suhou lifting his chin up slightly. Komuro dipped his chin minutely in an impression of a nod, stepping forward and laying a hand on Eiji's arm.

"Stop," Komuro stated simply. The single word was enough to convey through Eiji's angry haze that it was an order than Suhou had given and he fell back instantly but not before one final jibe.

"You're lucky that Suhou-sama is so merciful. If it weren't for him you would be in one piece now," Eiji hissed, brushing imaginary dust off his shoulders as he turned his back. Akito was clearly angered by this statement but Kei grabbed his arm and yanked him back, shaking his head furiously.

"My apologies for the disruption Kei," Suhou said, smiling but this time it was forced and fake.

"N-No it's alright!" Kei said, forcing a smile as well and waving his hands. Suhou nodded, walking towards the building, the rest of the Night Class following him.

"That was out of line," Komuro muttered to Eiji. "Let us hope that Suhou truly is merciful today." Eiji bit his lip in worry, eyes downcast and feet heavy as he trudged the rest of the way.

"What are you looking at?!" Akito yelled at the remaining girls. "It's curfew. Get out of my sight!" His shout instantly had the girls running towards the Sun Dormitory as fast as their legs could carry them. After a few minutes, it was silent outside, only the two of them standing there.

Kei instantly smacked Akito up the head. "Ow!" The latter looked shocked, raising a hand slowly to the back of his skull. "What was that for?"

"What was that for?! WHAT WAS THAT FOR? WHY DON'T YOU ASK YOURSELF YOU DIP!" Kei shouted. He shook his head furiously, glaring daggers at Akito. "Whatever. I'm going for a run."

"Kei---"

"Just let me clear my mind okay?"

*************************************

"Look it's a new blood tablet," Komuro said in interest, holding up the round white pill. It was a bit smaller than the previous one. "Eiji-chan...are you okay?"

"Yes," Eiji grumbled. His arms were folded on the table and his head resting on it. "No."

"Eiji," Komuro sighed, dropping the tablet into the water, instantly fizzing as it hit the liquid. "Don't be too hard on yourself. You overreacted, it happens to all of us."

"That's not what I'm worried about!" Eiji hissed. "Where is Suhou-sama? If he's going to be mad at me, he hast he right to but he's just not here! Why isn't he angry?"

It Komuro was a manga character, he'd have those three lines on the side of his face. "Eiji...shouldn't you be glad that Suhou-sama's not angry at you?"

"It's Suhou-sama. I did something without permission. Even though he shouldn't be mad because it was just a couple of humans..." He trailed off when he saw Komuro's expression change from one of 'okay-I'll-listen-to-you-but-not-really' to 'shut-up-be-quiet-panicmode on'.

"S-Suhou-sama," Eiji stuttered, hopping off the table he had been perched on, bowing then straightening up again. Suhou's face was unreadable and he simply stared at Eiji for a while. Then he moved, backhanding Eiji across the cheek-jaw hard, causing the younger to fall to the ground. Eiji watched Suhou with wide, frightened eyes, one hand clutching the throbbing side.

"You will not do that again," Suhou said, not question but an order that oozed power and authority behind his voice. He didn't bother to wait for Eiji's response as he swept away, knowing that if Eiji valued his life, he would not protest it.

"Here." Komuro offered Eiji a handkerchief and then a hand to help him stand. "He was merciful today after all."

"Shut up shut up shut up!" Eiji pouted, cheeks flushed in humiliation as he dabbed at his cheek which was bleeding. Then, the door was slammed open, drawing the attention of the entire class. They had a teacher yes, but the teacher wasn't so much one to give them knowledge more like a supervisor. And even then, he didn't appear until halfway through or later. To have someone enter the class so early was an unusual occurence.

"Ah vampires!" The man said walking in with a confident stride. His clothes were untidy; he wore a black suit but it was crinkled, the buttons on the white top undone at the top and half-tucked in. His hair was dark and shaggily cut, hanging past his shoulders with haphzardly cut bangs that hung over his eyes, which were bright and sharp, observing everything in the room at lightning speed. Stubble shadowed his chin and a cigarette dangled, finished from his fingers which he dropped and smashed into the ground.

"Really, what was the headmaster thinking, letting a bunch of bloodsuckers into the school." He shook his head with a sigh, dropping a leatherbound binder onto the table, undoing the string and flipping through the well-worn pages. "I'm your new teacher. Or whatever."

The class instantly turned their eyes to Suhou who was standing by his usual spot at the back corner, next to the windows. Kaede, known as Suhou's bodyguard (though why a strong man like Suhou even needed one was questionable) stood a metre or so away from him, silent but her eyes were constantly on the watch for threats. When the two of them showed no signs of moving, their eyes all went to Komuro who sat in the second row, around the middle of the room.

"Where's Miyagi-sensei?" Komuro asked carefully. He was on edge, wary and guarded. He didn't know what it was about the new teacher that told him that he was a threat.

"Sick. On leave. Dead. I don't know and I don't care." The man shrugged flopping into the seat, leaning back on his chair so that it teetered on its back legs and dumping his feet on the table.

"What are you doing here Honda?" Suhou finally spoke up, arms crossed as he watched the new teacher with...was it amusement in his eyes?

"Ah!" The man stood up, the chair falling with a loud clatter. "You're the big bloodsucker aren't you? Let's see..." He took out a clipboard evidently with a roll. "Ah, Yorukage Suhou."

"'Big bloodsucker'?" Eiji snapped angrily, easily getting defensive over the object of his idolisation and admiration. "Have some respect when you talk to a pureblood."

"See there's only bloodsucker in my dictionary," the man drawled easily. "There's big bloodsucker over there. Then there's you lot, big bloodsucker's inner circle which we call average bloodsuckers. Then there's the boring bloodsuckers, the rest of you. Then there's the interesting bloodsuckers that once were human." Evidently, he was referring to aristocrat vampires, common vampires and level e turned vampires.

"But that's irrelavent!" The man turned around with flair, grabbing the whiteboard marker, uncapping it and throwing the lid somewhere behind him. "I'm Honda Ren, your new teacher. But you'll call me Honda-sensei." As he spoke, he wrote 'Honda-sensei' on the board in black marker. "But if you lot think yourself too good for all that, just call me Honda. I do not want any sort of familiarity with bloodsuckers."

"Honda Ren...the famous vampire hunter," Suhou said calm as he ever was. "Why is the Hunter's Association here?"

"I don't know," Honda shrugged. "I just was told to come teach a class full of bloodsuckers. Believe me, this is not something I'd do willingly, blame your headmaster. He just had to call in that favour. Blah blah blah. Let's get down to work. Or whatever."

*************************************

"Akito's an idiot. A big fat idiot. Idiot idiot IDIOT!" Kei screamed, kicking a rock hard enough that it whacked into a tree and bounched back, cutting Kei on the arm. "Ow..." he hissed. It was at that sudden bloom of pain that his mind cleared. "I'm overreacting aren't I..." he groaned. Akito just had ruined a moment that he'd been having with his precious Suhou-senpai...it wasn't his fault that he couldn't keep his bloody mouth shut!

All thoughts of the other boy flew out of his head when he caught a flash of blonde and a black uniform. A day class student, wandering about after curfew. "Oi you!" Kei instantly took chase and with his blessed long legs, easily caught up to the girl. "You shouldn't be wandering about outside, it's dangerous! Go back to your dorm now...Tsukimori-kun?" His voice lilted into disbelief. It was Ringo, probably one of the most problematic fangir---fanboy that he ever had to deal with. And he was crossdressing again.

"Go away," Ringo glared. "You get to be outside but I don't?! That's unfair!"

"Listen, Tsukimori-kun my situation is different---"

"You can't decide on what I do!"

"Tsukimori-kun..."

"Well now, what do we have here?" Another voice joined in their conversation. Kei instantly stiffened, readying himself for attack or defense. "Lost little lambs?" From the way that Ringo's eyes became wide and started shining it was definitely a Night Class student.

"Go back to your classroom!" Kei declared, turning and pushing Ringo behind him. "You are not to be wandering the forest after during class hours!" A scowl was present on his face, his lips pressed tightly together as he held his anti-vampire weapon in his hands. It was a metal stick that could retract and extend for quite a bit but currently was in it's shrunken size, about the size of an umbrella. His finger hovered over the button that would make it extend, wary about using it in front of a day class student.

"Now now, there's no need to be so mean," the vampire purred.

"Ichirou, we shouldn't do this. Yorukage-sama will be angry," his friend said, hands tucked into his trousers' pocket as he assumed a forced relaxed stance.

"Oh relax Jinki," Ichirou laughed, waving a hand his eyes bright. "It's just a bit of fun. Tell you what, if the president gets mad, I'll take the brunt okay?"

"Leave. Now," Kei warned. Ringo be damned, knowing was better than getting killed. And surely there was someone who possessed the ability to wipe memories. He pushed down on the button, the pieces of metal springing out, connecting to form one long tube and on a direct course for the vampire named Ichirou's face.

The vampire caught it with his hand. From the blue sparks that were jumping around the end where it met his hand, it wasn't a pleasant sensation. "That's not nice." He twisted his position on the stick, grabbing it and yanking hard. Kei couldn't let go of the stick fast enough, being pulled forward. He let go of the stick once he had a hold of Kei's arm, the one that wasn't holding the weapon and kei noted the blackened burns on his hand. "You're bleeding."

And then Kei noticed that the rock that he had kicked into a tree and that rebounded had caused a pretty deep scratch. It must have been worry and adrenaline that had kept him from realising it sooner. It was on the inside of his left wrist, bleeding freely and bright red. "Crap," Kei hissed, finally working out the predicament he was in.

"Smells so good," Ichirou hissed hungrily. "I bet it would taste better. It's not fair you know, having to survive on blood tablets when there is dinner on legs walking around all the time."

"Ichi, Yorukage-sama---" his friend Jinki tried to say.

" him," Ichirou growled his fangs long since extended ever since he'd gotten a whif of the blood. He sank his teeth in greedily into Kei's arm, his hands locked tight against the human's wrists to stop him from struggling.

"V-Vampire?" Ringo stuttered from behind. Kei hissed in pain at the breaking of his skin, then at his blood getting out, for lack of a better word. It was completely likely that he would get dry he thought hazily.

Then... "Get your filthy hands off him you bloodsucker." Kei was probably never more grateful to hear Akito's voice. Said owner of the voice had his arm out straight, his precious gun pointed right at the vampire Ichirou's head. Ichirou froze, lifting his hand and wiping his mouth with the back of his hand.

"I will destroy you." Akito's voice was low and angry and Kei instantly recognised it was pure, uncontrolled rage. The safety on Akito's pistol was already off and it was completely likely that he would fire at point blank. The silver gun was one of the most useful weapons they had, made from anti-vampire metal with anti-vampire bullets it was a double score. Akito never went anywhere without it, especially in a school full of vampires.

"Akito don't shoot, that's not how to solve things," Kei said placatingly. It was to be admired how he could still form coherent sentences even with blood flowing freely from his wound, staining his hand. "Damnit Akito, put your gun away DON'T FIRE DAMNIT!"

BANG!

Ichirou opened his eyes, marvelling at the fact that he was still alive and his arms and legs were where they were supposed to be. The shot had fired harmlessly into the air, Kei having lunged and grabbed Akito's arm just as he had fired, diverting the shot to a different area.

"Oh god." In all that, they seemed to have forgotten about little Ringo who had fainted instantly.

"What's is the problem?" Another Night Class student entered the foray and Kei had never felt so grateful to see the vice-president of the Moon Dormitory before. Komuro surveyed the damage, instantly taking out the fainted crossdressing student, Kei looking like he had seen an angel, Akito with the angriest expression on his face, Ichirou sullen and Jinki worried. And from the blood drying on Kei's arm from two distinct fang marks, it wasn't hard to guess what had happened.

"Right," Komuro pinched the bridge of his nose. "Eiji, take Ichirou and Jinki to Suhou-sama. Kaede-san." At the mention of her name, the female vampire dropped silently from the trees, face as impassive as always. "Wipe Ringo's memories." Kaede nodded, walking over to the unconscious boy and placing her hand on his forehead. Eiji motioned for the two vampires to follow him, Jinki walking willingly enough while Ichirou needed to be dragged, until Eiji got tired of it and just used his mind manipulation ability to force him along because really, it was taking too long.

"Kei," Komuro smiled. "I think you should spend the night in the infirmary. You've lost quite a bit of blood and you need to get patched up and rested. Akito take Kei and Ringo up there once Kaede is done with him...which would be now." As much as Akito hated to be ordered around by a 'bloodsucker', it was true that they both needed medical care urgently and grudgingly conceded.

"Here," Akito undid his tie and chucked it at Kei. Kei looked at it bemused, frowing with that confused puppy expression. "Tie it around your wrist. The smell of blood is sickening." He bent to carry Ringo like a sack of potatos, thrown over his shoulder. "Can you walk?"

In the end, the awkward procession managed to make its way to the infirmary in the Sun Dormitory. Komuro watched them go with a glum expression on his face. He was in for a chewing from Suhou.


Oh, I thought I should clarify, all the Night Class Students are in the same class. There aren't that many vampires attending in the first place so all of them, no matter what year they are are in the same class. School is obligatory for vampires so it doesn't really matter what they learn there, they're just going for show. All of them have personal tutors at home anyway and are just going to school because their pureblood is and they follow him everywhere. Let's say that the Night Class has around...fifty people? All in one class while the day classes have 30 people to a class and they have 1-A, 1-B etc.

Cameo of MurderousIntent's Hibiki Ichirou! I hope you don't mind that I kind of made him a 'bad guy', it all adds some drama anyway.

I'm sorry for the severe lack of Ryou and Kin in this chapter. That is why there will be a double update!