Shell

Fatal Love

Stopping the young woman pushing the wheelchair, the airline attendant held out his hand.  “Ma’am your passport.”

 

“Of course, here’s my husband’s as well.”  Hand over the two booklets in her hand she pulled out additional paperwork from a bag.  “If you need, here’s the documentation for his condition as well.”

 

Taking the paperwork from the woman, the airline attendant glanced up at the woman before his eyes darted back over the hospital documentation she handed him as well.  His eyes eventually left the papers to look at the pale, sickly man slumped to the side in the wheelchair, his eyes out of focus as he stared off at some faraway point.  A twinge of pity touched the man as he gazed back up at the woman giving him a soft smile patiently waiting for him to complete his inspection.

 

“Do you think they will be able to cure him when he goes to America?” the attendant questioned giving her back the passports and documentation.

 

“I hope so, he’s been strong since we learned about the cancer.  I’m proud of him,” she smiled running her hands over his bald scalp.  Underneath her fingertips reflexive tremors coursed over the young man doped up on drugs.  “Don’t worry honey, I’m certain everything will be better once we make it to America.”

 

“Go on ma’am, and good luck with your husband,” the attendant smiled.

 

“Thank you sir, we both are grateful for your words,” Soonim said wheeling Youngjae past the man.  For a second he peered after the two, unaware that he just allowed the last glimmer of hope for the young man bound to the chair to dwindle away.  The smile on Soonim’s face widened as she hummed a song to herself heading for the gate where the plane would take them to America.  “Jagi, just be a little more patient, it’s going to be a long flight but I will make sure you’re comfortable.”

 

~~~

 

Daehyun sat in a dazed stupor not believing what the detective just announced to the entire room.  Closing his eyes, he drifted to another time.  Images of spending time teasing Youngjae flashing through his mind.  Of little fights they had over the stupidest things, of performances together, and their first meeting.

 

Inevitably the thought of their last time together cropped up inside Daehyun’s mind.  He should have gone with that idiot.  He should have told Youngjae to go directly back.  He should have called to make sure he got back safely.  A thousands should haves flooded his mind in addition to the ones afflicting his mind.  What did they do now?  Where was his babo?”

 

“Dae.”  Himchan placed a hand on the younger’s shoulder, bringing Daehyun out of his thoughts.  Blinking, Daehyun jolted out of his thoughts gazing up at Himchan’s sympathetic, worried expression.

 

“We should have went when we had the chance,” Daehyun whispered blinking back the tears of fear trailing down his face.  “We should have gone the moment we knew who she was.”

 

“We had no idea where she was at the time,” Himchan sighed.

 

“It doesn’t matter,” Daehyun snapped.  “I knew he was in trouble.  I knew something wasn’t right.  It should not have taken us this long to figure it out.”  Pulling away from Himchan, Daehyun stood up.  He couldn’t be around them right now.  Guilt and anger fueled his emotions wanting to do nothing more than scream at the world for allowing this to happen to his friend.

 

“Let him go,” Yongguk murmured when he saw Himchan making the motion to follow Daehyun out of the front door of the apartment.  “He needs to have time to clear his head.  This is a delicate time for us all.”

 

“We need to stick together right now,” Himchan argued.  “He might do something rash.”

 

“Now isn’t the time for this you two,” their manager voiced breaking into the middle of the argument set to take place.  “Daehyun will come back once he’s had time to calm down and get his head on straight.  We need to find out what to do next.”

 

“We’re finding out from Ulsan patrol what Mi-Yun knows about where Ahn Soonim was going,” Detective Mun voiced looking over at his other detective on the phone with Ulsan once more.  “My other two detectives should be arriving there within the hour.”

 

“What do we do in the mean time?” Yongguk sighed running a hand through his hair.  Tilting his head to the side, he found Himchan getting up from where he was sitting.  “Where are you going?”

 

“I need fresh air.  I feel as useless as Daehyun just sitting here waiting for news about Jae.  I need to clear my head as well,” Himchan commented.

 

“Don’t stray too far,” Yongguk voiced.  Nodding in response to the other, Himchan exited the apartment.  Despite Yongguk telling him to let Daehyun be to have a chance to clear his head, Himchan felt the younger was in need of someone to be close during this time.  Heading up to the roof, certain Daehyun was there Himchan thought about what he could say to the younger to ease his heart.  Pushing open the door to the roof he indeed found Daehyun gaze up at the sky his back to Himchan.

 

“He’s not really as annoying as I sometimes complain about.  He might be a babo and he whines at me about the stupidest things, but he’s a good person.  I don’t ask for much, just please let him be safe.  Please let him come back to us.  I won’t even complain anymore about him,” Daehyun bargained to the sky.  “He makes it fun to go through the days wondering what will happen.”

 

“Dae…” Himchan went to Daehyun’s side finding the male’s hands clasped in front of him, the darkness hiding the tears streaking down his face.

 

“Hyung, he doesn’t deserve this,” Daehyun sniffed, wiping his face with the back of his hands.

 

“Nobody does,” Himchan agreed.

 

“Why the hell would she do something like this?” Daehyun shook his head.  “What would make her think that he was interested in her when they’ve only met that one time?  How can someone be so delusional?  It makes me question what we are doing.  Is this really what our dream is supposed to end up being?”

 

“I can’t imagine what could make anyone so obsessed with another person,” Himchan admitted.

 

“Is it okay to say I hate her?” Daehyun inquired.

 

“I can’t stop you from doing so,” Himchan voiced.

 

“It makes me feel better to hate her,” Daehyun mumbled.  “She should suffer for putting him through this.”

 

Himchan said nothing gazing out over the city below.  What could he say to that?  Daehyun along with the rest of them had a right to be pissed off this woman inserted herself so deep within a fantasy she no longer to distinguish reality from the world she created for herself and Youngjae.  Leading her to do something unforgivable like this.  Daehyun had every right to question if the path they were on was the right one.  They put themselves in danger all the time against sasaeng fans, netizens, and anti fans. 

 

They trained hard to tirelessly.  They worked nonstop, taking all types of criticism, smiling and bearing with incessant invasions of privacy, for what exactly?  Just to have a chance to live out their dream of sharing their gifts with the world?  Did it mean they needed to be okay with acts like this that put them in complete harms way?  Himchan never expected for this path to be littered with so many broken bottles ready to shred them the moment they stepped on this path.

 

The sound of his phone chiming interrupted the poisonous seeds of defeat lurking through Himchan’s mind.  Clearing his thoughts, he pulled out his phone finding Yongguk’s number illuminated on the screen.  Sliding his thumb across the bar to unlock his phone, Himchan placed his phone to his ear.  “Do you have any news?”

 

“Where are you?”

 

“Up on the roof with Daehyun,” Himchan answered.

 

“They are taking Mi-Yun into surgery.  Ulsan patrol has news for us but we they won’t be able to thoroughly question her until she is out from surgery.  They say she was banged up pretty good by Soonim,” Yongguk reported.

 

“Are they searching the lake house for any clues?”

 

“Investigation is going on now.  They are still working her house and are heading back to her father’s house to question her family again,” Yongguk sighed.  “I don’t think TS is going to be able to keep this quiet anymore.  Reporters are already beginning to show up downstairs.”

 

“How did they find out so soon?” Leaning over the side, he spotted the two police cars stationed in front of the building along with a few people meandering around most likely reporters or paparazzi.

 

“I don’t know, but stay with Daehyun.  We don’t want any more attention than what this mess has already caused,” Yongguk stated.

 

“Understood.  What did Ulsan patrol find out from Mi-Yun before surgery?” Himchan wondered.

 

“Soonim was leaving with a suitcase telling Jae that she was excited about their trip and how when they got to where they were going she would find a good job to take care of him,” Yongguk said.  “Mi-Yun stated Jae wasn’t responsive, he stared off into space while that woman pushed him along in a wheelchair.”

 

“Where could she be taking him?” Himchan mumbled, mulling over in his mind the woman’s actions.

 

“The detectives are going to find out more when Mi-Yun gets out of surgery.  For the time being we need to formulate a plan of action in response to the reporters as well as our fans.  When Daehyun clears his head, bring him down,” Yongguk requested.

 

“Understood.”  Hanging up his phone, Himchan glanced over to Daehyun staring out over the scenery with troubled eyes.  “Dae, if you are up for it, there are things that need to be discussed.  Reporters are lining up outside.  They caught wind of what is happening.”

 

“We should speak with that woman’s sister,” Daehyun replied.

 

“The detectives are doing that now,” Himchan answered.

 

“No, I want to talk to her.  I want to ask how she never saw that woman breaking.  They are both fans correct?  How is it that woman ends up like this, but not the younger sister?  I want to understand what type of sickness she had to commit this type of crime.”  Meeting the older male’s eyes, Daehyun gave Himchan a determined stare.

 

“Now isn’t a good time to do this,” Himchan shook his head.

 

“Then when?  Now is a better time than any to find this out.  I don’t want to sit around here on my hands doing nothing while she’s doing who the hell knows to Jae,” Daehyun whispered.  “I feel useless to Jae this way.  I need to do something.”

 

Himchan’s resolve slowly dissolved at the determined fear clinging to Daehyun.  He could understand the guilt at not doing anything when there was so much more all of them could be doing to bring Jae back home.  Himchan also knew that in this situation their hands were as well tied to do nothing without this entire scandal blowing up in their faces.  Sighing in defeat, Himchan nodded his head.  How could they support Jae after this situation if they didn’t make an effort to bring him back home with their own hands?  They made a promise to each other that no matter what, they would fight all obstacles together.  “Let’s talk to Kang-hyung then.”

 

“Thank you for understand,” Daehyun said.

 

“We tackle all our obstacles together,” Himchan smiled.  “That’s how it should be.”

 

~~~

 

“Excuse me.”  Soonim waved over the flight attendant passing by her aisle.  The woman backtracked with a warm smile.

 

“Yes ma’am how may I help you,” the flight attendant said.

 

“Do you think it would be possible to sit with my husband while I go to the bathroom?” Soonim inquired.  “I just gave him his medication, but I fear leaving him alone in case he needs something.  It wouldn’t be too much to ask if you could watch him.”

 

“Of course not,” the flight attendant smiled gazing over at the sickly gentleman observing the clouds passing his window.  Taking the woman’s place once she moved to head for the bathroom, the flight attendant studied the young man.  “Are you enjoying your flight sir?  Please let me know if there is something I can get you.”

 

Youngjae blinked slowly, turning his head to the voice speaking to him.  Studying the woman sitting next to him he regarded her with a far off gaze.  He was unsure if this was the same woman who placed something in his mouth some time ago or not.  Trying hard to focus on what she was saying, he offered her a response unsure himself what he just said.  Finding her pull out a bottle of water, he frowned at what she was doing.  Had he asked for water?  Closing his eyes, he felt the tip of a bottle tipped to his lips.  Sipping slowly on the water, he listened to the woman mention something about sickness and his wife.

 

Was he married?  Was she his wife?  He didn’t know he was sick.  That very well might explain why he didn’t feel right.  Searching his memories flashes of eating breakfast with a woman cropped up in his mind.  Her hands feeding him when he was unable to feed himself.  He couldn’t remember what they had talked about, but apparently this woman in his memories was the wife this new woman mentioned.  Why couldn’t he properly remember his wife?  Was it due to his sickness?  Where was she now?  Why wasn’t she there with him right now?

 

“Your wife will be back in just a moment,” the flight attendant responded to his babbling about where his wife was.  “She stepped to the bathroom.”  Youngjae closed his eyes sinking into semi unconsciousness.  Fragmented images of a woman floated through his mind; panic seizing him back out of his dreams.  A warm hand brushed his brow.

 

“Jagi, wake up you’re having bad dreams,” a feminine voice murmured in his ear.  Opening his eyes, the woman from his dreams sat next to him now holding up a few pills.  “Take these, they will help you rest more easily.  I won’t leave your side again I promise.”

 

Relief filled him, obeying the woman who would take care of him during his time of need.  Swallowing the pills she provided him, Youngjae drifted slowly into unconsciousness again glad that she was beside him.  He would get better with her around.  He had nothing to worry about as long as she was with him.  Feeling a gentle kiss placed to his lips, Youngjae murmured words to her.  Positive that in his jumbled mind, they were words of his affection and love for her.

 

“Just a few more hours, and we’ll be able to start a good life in America,” Soonim said happily resting her head against his shoulder.  Pressing a hand against her stomach the smile displayed at the ends of curled upwards.   “I can’t wait to find out what we are having.”

 

~~~

 

“Absolutely not,” B.A.P’s manager shook his head.

 

“Why not?  We deserve an answer,” Daehyun argued.

 

“It’s not going to help anyone at this point,” their manager voiced.

 

“I need to know.  I need an answer,” Daehyun shot back, his anger boiling.  “You might be okay not asking, but I need to know what the hell went wrong.  We have every right to question why nobody saw this coming.  They are her family, they should take responsibility for what she’s done.”

 

“I agree with hyung,” Zelo spoke up.  “We only met her once.  Why did her family or the people she work with not see that she was disturbed?”

 

“Yongguk.” Their manager gazed over at the leader of the group for help.

 

“It’s best if we stay inside for now,” Yongguk spoke up receiving protest from his younger members.  “We don’t want to throw a wrench in the investigation.  We need to let the detectives do their job.”

 

“That’s bull and you know it,” Daehyun exclaimed.  “They don’t have a ing lead as to where that is with Jae.  You can’t keep me from finding out what her family knows.  You can sit here twiddling your damn thumbs, but I’m not going to.” 

 

Stunned silence filled the room, everyone watching as Daehyun stormed out of the apartment.  Glancing at the others Zelo took off after the older.  Catching up with Daehyun on the elevator, he squeezed his way onto the elevator before the doors shut.

 

“Did Yongguk send you to come talk me out of this?” Daehyun glared.

 

“I want to know too,” Zelo shook his head.  “I think we deserve that much from her family.”

 

“It’s good to know that someone else thinks the detectives aren’t doing enough.  I’m not going to sit around waiting until she gets away.”  Falling into silence, the young men watched the numbers on the elevator descend until they reached the lobby.  Making their way from outside past security keeping reporters at bay, the appearance of two members of B.A.P stirred up the tabloid writers who rushed forward in hopes to get a statement on what was going on between the group members regarding the police.  Pushing past the reporters shaking their head in refusal to comment, they eventually made it to the sidewalk.  Bystanders stopped to gawk at what was going on.

 

“Oppa.  Daehyun-oppa.”  Hearing his name, Daehyun turned his head to a young woman nervously stepping towards him looking near tears.  “I-I’m sorry.  I didn’t know unnie would do something like this.”

 

“Unnie…are you that lady’s sister?” Zelo inquired.

 

“I’m Ahn Sunhee,” she nodded wearily with a deep bow.  “I’m sorry.  When the police came and questioned my family about unnie I had no idea she was capable of doing something like this.”

 

“How could you not know?” Daehyun snapped.  “You were both fans.  She was your sister.”

 

“I don’t know how I didn’t know,” Sunhee sobbed.  “I never thought she would like Youngjae-oppa this much.”

 

“Like him this much?” Daehyun laughed mockingly at her words.  “Do you think kidnapping someone against their will and holding them hostage is liking someone too much?  Are you ing stupid?  Do you think any of us like having to put up with like this?”

 

“Oppa,” Sunhee flushed.

 

“We go through hell just to entertain all of you.  We put up with having no privacy all for you.  You’re perfectly fine pushing your feelings on us but never treating us like humans.  I don’t know how many times I’ve had to tell one of you girls to go home and not follow me.  How many times do any of you listen?  We grin and bear with it all, but this is too much,” Daehyun scoffed.  “How could you not know that she was this sick?  You say she liked Jae this much?  That’s bull.  If she was in her right mind, she would have never done something like this.”

 

“She’s just,” Sunhee stammered.

 

“She’s what?  A ing sick woman who should have been medicated is what she is,” Daehyun responded seeing the color drain from the young woman’s face.  “Did the police tell you that your sister has been giving herself injects for fertility?  She’s plotting to live out some sick fantasy of having kids with Jae.  Is that the kind of love you say she has for him?”

 

“I-“ Trembling, Sunhee sought out words of apology to express to the furious man before her.  “I’m sorry.”

 

“Sorry doesn’t help our situation,” Daehyun glowered.  “If you have any idea of where she is, you better let us know now.  She left her own family for dead in that lake house.  Do you think any sane person would go this far for liking someone?”

 

“I don’t know where she could have gone,” Sunhee cried.  “Unnie is a kind person.  This isn’t like her.”

 

“You’re wrong, this is the monster that she has been keeping to herself.  The monster you and the rest of your family should have seen underneath that façade,” Daehyun snorted.

 

“Daehyun, enough.”  Himchan rushed through the sea of reporters transcribing the altercation onto notepads to place a hand on Daehyun’s shoulder.  The younger man shrugged off the hand glaring at Himchan.

 

“You can’t say I’m wrong,” Daehyun snapped.  “We put up with so much and all we get from her is a sorry that her sister is insane.  I can’t forgive that Channie.”

 

“I understand, just don’t do it here,” Himchan pleaded motioning to the information greedy reporters.  “Don’t make this worse than it already is.  Let’s go back in and wait for Mi-Yun to get out of surgery.”

 

“You better pray that Jae’s makes it back to us safely,” Daehyun shot at Sunhee.  Turning from her, Daehyun walked over to the street hailing a taxi.

 

“I’ll go with him hyung,” Zelo said quietly going after Daehyun before that taxi pulled off.

 

“I’ll call if something happens,” Himchan shouted after the maknae.  Breathing in deeply, he realized that things were going to hell faster than they can keep them together.  When this was all over, the shockwaves would be massive.


A/N: Nobody kill me please.  I've already had many death threats from one of my readers who has been hounding me for this chapter then flipping over everything known to man over the pieces I've shared with her.  I had to think long and hard about this story before posting it to make sure it flowed the way I need it.  I thank everyone for their support and love for this story.