One Step Closer, Three Steps Farther

Fatal Love

Daehyun closed his eyes hoping to find his center and cool his anger.  Taking a deep breath he finally opened his eyes to glare at Jin Suk staring at them in bemusement.  Shoving the phone into the man’s hand, he met Jin Suk’s gaze.  “I hope you’re satisfied.  If anything happens to him, it’s going to be on your hands.”

 

“Leave it alone Dae,” Himchan said.  “We need to get over to TS, the police are looking into any clues to where they might be at her apartment.”

 

“How long would it take to get to Ulsan from here?” Daehyun inquired looking at Himchan.

 

“Ulsan?  Maybe about three or four hours,” Himchan blinked.

 

“The phone number Jae called me from was registered to her grandmother right?  Maybe we can find out from her grandmother where she is,” Daehyun said.

 

“We should let our manager know before we rush there.  If this one has done everything Jae told you we need to think about the risk in doing so,” Yongguk spoke up.  “Let’s head back to TS.”

 

“We should—” Daehyun begun to argue before Himchan placed a hand on his shoulder.

 

“We know he’s safe for now, if we rush in without a plan we could end up captured as well or worse,” Himchan commented.  “This isn’t a drama where everything will turn out fine because we’re the protagonists.  Cool down, he’s fine for the time being.”

 

“But we don’t know for how long,” Daehyun snapped. 

 

“Come on Dae, we’re heading back.”  The look in his leader’s eyes told him that Yongguk was not going to budge an inch with his decision.  Growling, he gave a curt nod throwing another dirty glare Jin Suk’s way as the group headed out.  Making it to the entrance of the hospital, the group ran into a small group of detectives sizing them up.

 

“One moment boys, do you happen to be from TS?” one of the younger detectives inquired.

 

“We’re heading back, she isn’t here.  We verified it with her boss,” Himchan said offering them that piece of advise.

 

“How did you know who she was?” the detective gave them a once over.

 

“Dae, show him the picture,” Yongguk said.  Fishing the picture from his pocket, Daehyun shoved it into the detective’s hand.

 

“You better check Ulsan.  Wasn’t the number she called from her grandmother’s?” Daehyun demanded.

 

“Don’t tell us how to do our jobs,” one of the other detectives snapped.

 

“Leave him alone, he’s worried about his friend,” the lead detective said.  The older man gave him a sober look nodding at his statement.  “We’re meeting with her family now and I’m gathering a group to head out to Ulsan soon.  I will bring your friend back to you safely you have my word.  Let us do our job here, go back and rest up.”

 

“I doubt I’m going to be able to rest until he’s back,” Daehyun mumbled as the members bowed respectfully before taking their lead.  Daehyun couldn't help but allow his thoughts to darken his mood. Yes, they had a plan, but would it work?  Jae seemed to be okay when he spoke with him, but how long would that last. The woman knew they were looking for him now.  He just hoped that didn't force her to do something drastic.  He had no idea what she planned to do to begin with, but he had a feeling in the pit of his gut that now that she knew she had been found out it would only turn up her 'crazy dial' and make things worse. Daehyun shivered at the thought, but it also helped him focus his determination to find his best friend.

 

“Hyung are you okay?” Jongup placed a hand on Dae’s shoulder pulling him from his thoughts.  Blinking away the apprehension crawling across his skin, Daehyun focused his attention on the worried expression alighting Jongups’ face.

 

“Exhaustion and concern,” Daehyun expressed.  “I’ll be happy when this is all over.”  Putting on a smile to ease the worry that was lining Jongup’s face, Daehyun still was unable to shake the nagging sensation of dread looming over him.

 

~~~

 

A soft moan escaped Youngjae’s lips as he slowly began resurfacing from his subconscious.  Something had caused him to wake up, he wasn’t quite sure what, but his mind kept screaming for him to open his eyes.  Hoping to sink deeper into the encompassing warmth Youngjae tried to turn over on his side with much difficulty.  Another moan escaped his tired lips however he found himself stirring even more.  His eyes gradually opened, Youngjae disoriented for a long moment in the darkness of the room.  Blinking the remnants of from his eyes, Youngjae slowly looked around wondering what had caused him to awake in the first place.

 

“Jagi.” The soft husky murmur in his ear jolted Youngjae fully awake, gazing up to find Soonim looming over him.  Panicking, he attempted to scoot away from her only to discover he was pinned beneath her.  Crying when he realized the woman was straddling his waist Youngjae did all he could to buck her off.  “Don’t resist it jagi, I know you want to do it again.”

 

“No please stop,” Youngjae sobbed.

 

“Touch me,” the woman purred drawing his hands up to cup her s.  Youngjae whimpered, wanting to pull his hands away but something stopped him.  To his horror his hands once more moved of their own volition.  Caressing the warm skin against his touch.  The woman threw her head back his name.  “I knew you wanted me again.”

 

“I don’t,” he whimpered, shaking his head back and forth as his hips rocked to her motion.  Was it the drug again?  Had she given him more while he was unconscious?  All he could do was beg her to stop.  To not pray this was some nightmare he would wake up from at any moment.  Listening to her pants and moans of pleasure.  If it had been possible to will his self into death, he would have gladly taken it.  Shutting out the world, forcing his mind not to be there, to think about her body spilling fire into his loins.  Sending his body in a frenzy as she pushed them both closer to . 

 

A ragged sob tore from his lips when he came inside her, the woman shivering at the feel of him before collapsing breathlessly on top of him.  Her hands tenderly roaming the length of his skin raising her head just a little to kiss his chest.  “Why are you so good jagi?  Even after earlier, it just gets better.  I can’t believe we will be able to do that for the rest of our lives.”

 

“Just kill me,” Youngjae cried.  “Please don’t keep me like this anymore.”

 

“What do you mean kill you?  You’re the father of our child,” Soonim replied.  “We’re going to start a family together.  You should get silly notions like that out of your head.  I even forgave you for calling Daehyun earlier.  I know he was the one filling your head with those ideas that I was insane.  He was jealous of what we had.”

 

“Dae…you spoke to him?”

 

“He was at the hospital asking about us from Jin Suk,” Soonim smiled.  “It looks like we’re going to have to leave here sooner than expected.  I set everything up while you were napping.”

 

“Set what up?  What do you mean leaving?”

 

“I regret having to cut your hair, but it will grow back I know just deal with it for now.  All right jagi?” Youngjae jumped when she touched his head, feeling her cool fingertips against his scalp. 

 

“What did you do?” Youngjae screamed in fear.  Soonim rolled off of Youngjae, strolling over to the light switch to flip it on.  The woman’s once long brown hair no longer existed, in place of it was short curly auburn hair framing her face.  Seeing her pick up a mirror and walk back over to the bed, Youngjae shook his head in denial that she had sheared him bald without his consent.  It was just hair, it would grow back but that level of violation was second only to her manipulating his body.

 

“I promise when we make it to America, I will help you grow your hair back.  I have medicine that will allow it to grow back before you know it,” Soonim smiled in support.

 

“America?” It only registered in his mind that she was planning to carry out her insane fantasy of the two of them leaving Korea to start a family.  Despite knowing it was feeble, Youngjae stammered out of bed, falling in his attempt to run from the woman.  Crawling to the door, Soonim watched him scramble his way up the wall holding on.  Calmly moving to the nightstand, she prepared a needle, humming to herself listening to him crash to the floor in the process of yanking the door open.

 

“My English is pretty good, so you won’t have to worry about doing anything.  I have saved more than enough money for us to live off of.  And of course we have Mr. Lee to thank as well as halmoni.  Mr. Lee has always been so kind to help me out with things.  When I told him we were eloping in America, he was more than generous to assist with finding us a place to live and work for me,” Soonim voiced.  “I wish you could have met Mr. Lee, maybe when we are established in America, I will give him a call and we can both thank him.”

 

Craning her head around finding him crawling out into the other room, Soonim giggled at how cute he was.  Walking after him, Soonim flopped down on his back injecting the needle into the back of his neck.  Youngjae bawled, bucking in pain at the burning sensation spreading from the injection site to the other parts of his limps.

 

“The pain will subside please deal with it for the time being,” Soonim cooed.  “I promise you it will get better.  I will give you as much as possible to keep the pain at bay.  I’m sorry we have to leave under conditions like this but I know Daehyun will try to stop us from being together.”

 

Her rambling meant nothing to him, blinded by the fire of pain boiling through his muscle.  The woman’s body weight disappeared leaving him trembling in fetal position.  Forcing his mind away from the pain and insanity of the world Youngjae willed himself to escape.  To find some corner of his mind that was free of this madness.  He momentarily mused at how easy it was in moments of extreme desperation until he found relief in the furthest corner of his mind.

 

“Soonim…where are you going?” Mi-Yun mumbled weakly from the chair she had been left earlier.  “Please take me to the hospital, I feel cold.  You can’t leave me here.”

 

“I forgot that you were still here.”  Sweeping a disgusted look at the young woman covered in a fevered sweat the older woman considered what to do with the traitorous .  The police would surely find her in a few days once their search led them to this lake house.  There was no need to sully her hands with trash that would eventually be picked up.

 

“I’m sorry, please take me to the hospital,” Mi-Yun entreated.  “I will do whatever you say.  I won’t tell the police anything I promise.”

 

“The police can take you to the hospital,” Soonim snorted going back into the bedroom to dress and pack.  Ignoring the despairing bawl escaping Mi-Yun’s mouth Soonim thought about the wonderful time she and Youngjae would have beginning their family.  She really hoped it was a little boy.  She had the perfect name ready for their special little bundle.

 

~~~

 

“Daehyun?” Himchan stood in the doorway of the dark bedroom watching Daehyun sit with his face turned up to the ceiling, his mouth wordlessly moving.  His hands were clasped in his lap, Himchan realizing what the younger was doing.  “Dae do you need another minute?”

 

“Do you think it was heard?” Daehyun unclasped his hands shifting his attention to where Himchan was.

 

“I’m pretty sure it was,” Himchan agreed.

 

“It makes me question, it could have been any one of us.  What will stop others from following this example?” Daehyun prodded.  “How safe are we now that this has happened?”

 

“TS said we will be given extra security once this is over,” Himchan responded.  “We might lose a bit of freedom, but it’s better than having a repeat of this or any other incident.”

 

“Should we have to risk things like this just for what we do?” Daehyun sighed.  “It’s a blow to all of us.  Why should we even continue if we have to look over our shoulders all the time watching to see if someone isn’t planning to harm us?  What’s the point anymore Channie?”

 

“We can run from our dreams or stand up and continue to move towards it.  If we give up now, it only means we let them win,” Himchan answered.  “The whole world isn’t out to get us.  Just a few crazy few.”

 

“Those crazy few are scary as hell.”

 

“Indeed they are,” Himchan agreed.  “Come on, the detective is here.”

 

“God…or whatever is up there, take care of that babo please,” Daehyun whispered, moving from the bed to exit the room.  The rest of B.A.P as well as their manager and CEO of the company sat in the group room of the apartment with the detective.

 

“Everyone here?” the detective inquired.

 

“Yes, so what have you found out?” their manager wondered.  “Do we know where this woman is?”

 

“What about her sister?” Daehyun voiced.

 

“Ahn Soonim has not contacted her family as of yet.  We can only assume she is working alone.  The sister showed no signs of lying when we told the family why we were there.  She went into a state of shock denying her sister would do something like that because she is a fan.  The father mentioned they own a lake house in Ulsan where Ahn Soonim possibly is held up currently.  I have already sent two of my detectives to that area with backup.”

 

“Is there guarantee Youngjae will not be hurt if she is cornered?” Daehyun worried.

 

“We will take all precautions to ensure your friend comes out of this unscathed,” the detective replied.  “On that note, it’s in my opinion you should know what else we found in her apartment during the search.  This woman is very calculated.  We found journals she dedicated in knowing exactly when your friend was alone, with you, or here that span over the last half a year.  I still have two teams going through them all.  As well as the medical records she kept.”

 

“What medical records?  Ours?” Himchan paled.

 

“Yours, patients at the hospital she worked at, as well as inventory of drugs kept at the hospital.  We found several vials in her refrigerator as well as several used needs in a trashcan.  Our labs tested the needles to be positive for Isoflurane and Morphine.”  Pulling papers from his pocket, he scanned the information there.

 

“What are they for?”

 

“Morphine is a pain killer.  There is evidence of a possible fight between the two broke out.  The bat we picked up had flecks of your friend’s blood on it.  Ahn Soonim appears to have given him the Morphine for that.  Lab states the other one, this Isoflurane, is an anesthetic she used to keep him mobilized by inducing muscle paralysis.”

 

“,” Yongguk muttered.

 

“How far are the other detectives from Ulsan?” Daehyun asked.

 

“An hour,” the detective said.  As Daehyun begun to speak again, the appearance of another younger detective entering the apartment hauled anything he had to say.  In the detective’s hand was a folder, an expression of seriousness alerted all to some manner of importance just discovered.

 

“Detective Mun, you might want to see this.  We just received another report from labs.  There is another drug that they found while testing the other needles from the apartment,” the new detective reported.

 

“Let me see it.” Receiving the file from the lead detective flipped through it his eyes scanning over what was there.  “Dong-Yul.”

 

“Yes sir?”

 

“Call over to Ulsan and have them get a squad over to that lake house pronto.  We can’t wait for In-Su and Jiyeon to get there with our squad,” Detective Mun ordered.

 

“What’s going on?” Himchan spoke up.  “What does the report say?”

 

“Ahn Soonim used a drug called Novarel.  Labs say women who are infertile have been known to use the drug.  We don’t have any documentation that she had a problem conceiving,” Detective Mun frowned.  “It’s likely she swiped it from the hospital.”

 

“You mean she’s been using drugs that will ensure she gets pregnant?” Daehyun felt like someone had dumped an entire bucket of ice water on him.  Sitting in a daze, he was certain the detectives were wrong.  This woman surely was not plotting to conceive a child with Youngjae.  Youngjae might complain and agitate him at times, but his set of morals was as noble as anyone he knew.  If Youngjae were forced to endure that woman forcing herself on him to have a child, it would break his heart.

 

“That’s what we think,” Detective Mun sighed.

 

“Detective Mun, we have a patrol already heading up that way, Ahn Soonim’s grandmother and cousin never came back from the lake house.  Mi-Yun was scheduled to work and Baek Su-Jin never arrived back home for her evening sale.  Neighbors reported she was going to the lake house to attend to her garden,” Detective Dong-Yul repeated as he was on the line with Ulsan police.

 

“How far away is the patrol from the house?” Detective Mun asked.

 

“A minute tops.  They let him know he might encounter Ahn Soonim so precede with caution.”

 

“Good.  I’m going to call our patrol as well to let them know what is going on.  We’re going to end this tonight,” Detective Mun announced flipping out his phone to dial a number.  Impatiently he tapped his foot on the ground waiting for a response.  “In-Su I don’t care how many lights you have to run, you and Jiyeon get your asses to Ulsan pronto.  Labs just gave us additional information on Ahn Soonim.”

 

“I don’t like this,” Daehyun muttered closing his eyes.  “Please let that babo be all right.”

 

“It’s going to be over soon,” Himchan assured.

 

“Detective Mun, patrol made it to the house.  The front door is wide open and there’s crying coming from inside the house, patrol is entering,” Detective Dong-Yul said.  Everyone held their breath waiting for the man to deliver more news about Ulsan patrol.

 

“In-Su patrol made it to the house, meet up with them as soon as you get there.  I want you working that case to process everything.  We’ll get that boy back where he belongs tonight no matter what,” Detective Mun said.

 

“, you’re joking,” Detective Dong-Yul swore.  “Is he certain?  , this isn’t good.  We have detectives coming your way, they’ll help with anything that needs processing.  Thanks.”  Hanging up his phone, Dong-Yul turned to Detective Mun, his expression clouded.

 

“What?” Detective Mun said.

 

“She’s gone.  Both her and the boy.”

 


A/N: And there we have it.  Just when I thought this story would find Jae being saved, Soonim said nope.  In all honesty I had such a long talk with my co-writer on this chapter that it ended up as a choose your adventure conversation by the end.  We hashed out three different scenarios and she chose the one that will ultimately be the true test of friendship and love between B.A.P members.  I'm intrigued to see how the rest of this story will go from now on.  So much to think about and consider.  Thank you all for your continued support.