Stars

We're Only Pretending!

 "Hurry up, man, you're taking too long to dress up." Jihyun whined, knocking on the bathroom door. Yoonhee was only playing 2fuse on my phone while she plopped down on my bed.

"Assa!!! I beat your high score!" I heard the bed squeaking. Yoonhee was obviously jumping on it.

"Jung Yoonhee, don't break the fricking mattress. And dont deplete my in-game money!" Again I remember my situation, so I lean on the bathroom door stuck in bath towels and misery. "What am I gonna do when you two are dressed neatly wearing those floral dresses and ? I don't have a ing nice shirt to begin with!" I look at the old white printed tee and the sort of worn out skinny jeans hung on the wall. 

"What are you talking about?" I heard footsteps and a cabinet door open. "You have a ing dress, here it is. Open the door." Jihyun knocked wildly this time. "Ah, this girl, when did you ever worry about not dressing up neatly? Omo omo, is there someone you're planning to meet today and you never told us because you are too busy jumping around, feeling elated? Oh my goodness, our Eunseo is growing up!"

"What are you saying, you little piece of crap Jihyun. No, I am not meeting anyone today." I was supposed to, actually, but then I'd rather go out with these two. "But why are you wearing what you are wearing right now? Is there an occasion?"

"Oh sure there is. Hurry up!" Yoonhee said. 

I opened the door slightly to receive the clothes from Jihyun. As soon as i felt the fabric, I almost screamed. "Not this! What the actual Jihyun!" I held it up and gawked at it, wondering how this vile thing ever made its way to my closet. "Why do I have a lycra minidress in my closet?"

I heard Yoonhee laughing. "Hurry, Eunseo. Wear it, you wench, so you don't feel left out. You're the only one not wearing a dress." Again the two were scurrying around the room looking for bounty.

"You ing , I'm gonna look like a wench when I wear this." 

Suddenly, a really loud honk was heard from outside. "Hurry up Eunseo! They're here!"

"Who's here?" I said, annoyed. I really hate the sound of car horns. 

"You'll find out. Just hurry the heck up you long-necked turtle."

A knock on my bedroom door was heard. "Dears, your guests are waiting for you outside. You should go now." It sounded like Mom.

"Ah yes Mother, we'll be right outside after Eunseo is done dressing up." I heard Jihyun reply. "Eunseo hurry up. Mother, we'll not be long," Yoonhee added. She started knocking on the bathroom door.

After Mom left, I had no choice but to wear the dress they handed me. "ing ."

"What?" Jihyun asked. "Come on get out of there."

I got out of the room and the two stared at me. "What?" I asked. "I will poke those eyes once I get a pencil in my hand."

"Idiot." Yoonhee said. "You look so neat and good in the dress."

I walked to the cabinet and wore my coat and scarf and proceeded to putting on my overused winter boots. "Let's go?" I said after I finished. The two were smirking like idiots. We were about to leave the house, but of course, I'd have to let my mom know I'm about to go. "Mom, I'm leaving!" I said when I saw her watching TV.

"Oh do you have money dear?"

"I sort of.. uh..."

Mom stood up and handed me a few bills. "Use them wisely, okay?" I nodded and said goodbye to Mom.

Up until now, I still can't believe what I have gotten myself into. Ever since the day Gongchan became a noticeable part in my daily life, he has been haunting me in every aspect of living. He is in the same class as I am. He is in my phone's contacts. He is in my phone's messages. He is in my brain, my memory, and even my nightmares. He is everywhere, I swear. And he is in front of me right now.

Wait, what?

Oh, . Mayday! SOS SOS SOS

"Hi Eunseo, Yoonhee and Jihyun." It was Jihoon, the class president and Gongchan's friend. He eyed Gongchan and laughed. "This is exciting."

"I didn't ask for this punishment. This is not the reality I wanted!" My insides were screaming for help. I was about to run back into the house when both Yoonhee and Jihyun latched their hands onto my arms.

"Get in the car." Gongchan ordered as they all entered the vehicle. I saw Dongjun, another one of Gongchan's good friends waving at me from the driver's seat being the friendly guy he is. I was reluctant, but the two jerks I call friends dragged me into the car so I really had no choice. "Thanks guys," Gongchan said.

"No probs, Gongchan." Yoonhee laughed.

I sighed. I sat by the window and tried to amuse myself as I looked out the gentle yet vast dusk sky. Thin cirrus clouds partly enveloped the heavens; the setting sun's last rays made them glow a faint yellow above my troubled head. It is the most beautiful time of the day, seeing the burst of different hues of purple and orange taking the place of the blue colors of the morning.

"Yah, Kim Eunseo snap out of it," Gongchan said from the front seat, smirking. "You've been staring up the whole time."

"And you've been staring at Eunseo for the whole time," Dongjun snorted as he spoke. "I can see it even if my eyes are on the road." 

I really do hope digging my face into my wool scarf can conceal my face now heating up and turning red. "I am somehow flattered," I said under my breath. I'm pretty sure Jihyun and Yoonhee are eyeing me.

"Well," Jihyun said. I elbowed her and whispered 'shut up or'. This time Jihyun was the one elbowing me, hitting my . , her elbow is steel.

"Don't hit my ing Jihyun." I glared at Jihyun and Yoonhee was snickering beside her.

"Well you hit my ing first."

Yoonhee looked like she was going through tough constipation when she was holding her laughter. "I'll bump your two ing s to the wall if you don't shut up."

"So, what are we going to do today?" Jihoon asked. "Any plans?"

"We were planning to just stroll around, but whatever you guys are up to, we'll tag along."

"Let's watch a movie," Dongjun suggested. All of them agreed. "What do you say, Eunseo?"

"What?" I looked at Jihyun, Yoonhee and Jihoon who looked at me with weird expressions on their faces. Jihoon's face stood out because he looked like a llama who stepped on cow . "Oh, um, sure. Okay."

The car was already parking without me realizing. Soon enough we all got out of the car and then I realized I was actually sweating.

"It's a bit hot isn't it?" I said. Yoonhee knocked on my head and sighed. "What?" I asked.

"I thought you lost your brain. It's -1°C right now."

 

"So what are we gonna do now?" Dongjun asked. Jihyun had been eyeing an arcade and apparently Jihoon did the same too. Dongjun laughed at the two. "I see what you're seeing."

"It is the most magical place in town," Jihyun said.

Dongjun looked impatient. "Gongchan-ah, you go get the movie tickets while we play here, okay?"

"No way, you go buy the tickets," Gongchan replied. Everyone was already handing him the payment for the ticket. His troubled face was worth laughing at. Moments later, I felt pity, so I offered to buy the tickets. I got all the money from Gongchan and for a short while I felt like Mr. Krabs. "Thanks, Eunseo," he said.

I have been walking my way to the ticket booth at the cinemas for some time now when I heard heavy, fast footsteps from behind. "Eunseo, wait up!"

I looked back. It was Gongchan, running up to me trying to catch up. "Hey. You walk too fast."

"What are you doing here?"

"They told me to accompany you." He panted, slinging his arm around my shoulders. "I liked the idea, so I didn't hesitate." He chuckled.

His hand that was just freely hanging from my shoulder made its way into my hand and he held it as if it was okay to do so. "Gongchan."

"What?" He asked. "Oh." He removes his grip on my hand and finally I could exhale again. "By the way, your palm is freezing... but why are you sweating?"

"I am?" I asked. What the is wrong with my thermoreceptors?

Gongchan only shook his head and scoffed. "Stay here, I'm gonna fall in line for the tickets," he said. I nod as a reply.

I watched happy couples with their arms around each other's waists talk sweetly as I waited for Gongchan. I feel bad for the man pretending to be my boyfriend since I can't and I refuse to act a bit like candy to him. Poor guy. 

"Hey," Gongchan tapped my shoulder, "let's go back to the arcade."

I nod again and we started walking back. "Sorry," I said as quietly as possible.

"For what?" Gongchan looked at me, seemingly puzzled.

"Nothing."

Gongchan shrugged. "Okay. Just tell me if anything's wrong."

Idiot. Everything's wrong.

 

"Ey lovebirds." Jihoon waved at the two of us. "We have a bet here. If Yoonhee wins this round, Dongjun buys our dinner. If Jihyun wins I'll buy."

Jihyun and Yoonhee were in the middle of stepping on colorful arrows to the beat. "I never liked Dance Dance Revolution!" Yoonhee screamed. She was getting furious and started stomping harder on the arrows. The four of us who were watching were laughing hysterically at them.

"Yoonhee you look like a bull!" I said in between laughter. It probably made her angrier since she stomped even harder. "You're gonna break the platform, !"

The music stopped and we all look at the screen, anxiously waiting for the results.

As Yoonhee hopped off and jumped around, Dongjun fell to his knees. "Oh, crap! Why!?"

All of us laughed at him, "Get up, you look stupid," Jihoon said.

"Replace 'look' with 'are'." Gongchan snickered.

Jihyun was panting as she got off the platform. "Goodness. My legs ache," she complained. "Hey look!" She pointed at a game that tests how strong your punch is.

"I wanna try that." Dongjun skipped like a child to the machine. He inserts a token and the target sprang up, waiting to be punched.

"One, two..." Dongjun charged, "Three!"

BANG! 

The score wildly went up and finally stopped at a remarkable three-digit number: 678. The machine then set it as the new high score.

"Wow..." I said. "Let me try!"

I borrowed a token from Jihyun and slid it into the machine. The target sprang up and I prepare for a strong , enormous punch jam packed with much energy than that of a thousand farts...

BANG!

Everyone gasped at the sound of the impact. The score was going up at light speed and I was so dang sure I'd get a score higher than Dongjun's. 

677.

"This machine is ing rigged!"

Everyone laughed and dragged me away from the machine. "Let go you li'l s I'm gonna teach that piece of junk machine a lesson."

"Eunseo, your loser side is showing," Jihyun patted my back. "Let it go. You probably can't hold it back anymore." (a/n: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA i'm sorry)

 

So finally we're going to eat dinner, sponsored by the rich kid named Han Dongjun. It was a belly-filling meal, especially since I didn't pay a single Won for this.

"Omo, have you guys heard?" Jihyun said as she scrolled continuously on her phone. "There was a UFO sighted at Jeollanam-do."

"Wow, people are too creative nowadays. Technology is rewiring everyone's brains." Jihoon shook his head. "It's obviously just a hoax."

"It says 'residents only saw the object for about a split second, but they are convinved that it is really a flying saucer.'" Jihyun read the article aloud. "That's odd. They also said reports of such sightings have increased over the years."

"Delusional people, seriously." Gongchan shook his head as well. "Who would believe that. I won't be surprised when the time comes that the people would put up conspiracy theories saying the government actually knew that there were aliens and ."

"What if it was North Korea's doing?" Yoonhee asked. I buried my face in my palm in disbelief.

"What the actual , Jo Yoonhee," I scoffed. Everyone seemed to debunk the article and doubt the credibility of the website that showed the news.

After we all finished eating, we went straight to the cinema. It was a ing horror film and I wondered why I ever agreed to watch this. Gongchan, who was beside me, probably noticed my uneasiness since he noticed me fidgeting as I stared at the screen.

"Excuse me," I finally said. We weren't even halfway through the movie when I bailed out. I ing hate horror movies.

I made my way out of the theatre, but I didn't know where to stay. I walked around until I decided to go to a cafe that overlooked the city's skyline.

"Eunseo, wait for me!" Of course, it's Gongchan. He ran up to my side and caught his breath. 

Like a while back, I ask the same question. "What are you doing here?"

"I sort of don't want to watch the movie. Can't handle horror well, you know?" He chuckled like a cherub. "So where are we going?"

"Coffee shop. It's a really nice place."

It was a silent walk to the shop with Gongchan beside me. When we arrived, we took a spot near the windows where we could see the night lights decorate the city.

"It really is pretty in here. Wow." Gongchan smiled.

I stood up, asking him what drink he wanted to have, but then he insisted on taking the order and paying for it. "I just want hot chocolate," I said.

"All right." Gongchan hopped off to the counter and places our order. He returned with two cups and set both down on the table. "Here you go!"

I thanked him and stared out the window. The sky was clear now and the stars showed and shone bright. "Hey, Chanshik."

"Yeah?" He looked at me after taking a sip. "What's with all the formality?"

"The night sky has its secrets." I said, ignoring his question. "If all of the lights in Seoul right now were to be turned off, you would probably see the stars clearer than now. You also have a chance to see the Milky Way up in the sky. It looks like a long, faint cloud hovering over your head. We can't see the full beauty of the night sky because of light pollution."

It amazes me how astronomy can relate so much to life more than you could ever imagine. In a sea of people, one would stand out and overshadow the rest. In that way, we can't see the noteworthiness of the others. The light pollution situation could also be seen in an individual. If she shows up one time as a bad person, the bad images she put up would mask the beauty she actually has inside her, and people would see the bad instead of the good."

Gongchan just stared at me, wide-eyed.

"I'm sorry. I think I got a little too talkative."

"No, no, tell me more." He urged me to continue, so I did.

"Astronomers determine the star's brightness with a measure called the magnitude. There are two kinds: apparent and absolute magnitude. Apparent magnitude is how bright the star appears to its observer. The absolute magnitude is the actual brightness of the star, as seen at 10 parsecs or 32.6 light years away. The lesser the number's value, the brighter the star is. Take Betelgeuse, a star in the Orion constellation and the ninth brightest star in the night sky, as an example. Its apparent magnitude is 0.42 and it is 640 light years away. When you look closer, at about 32.6 light years away from the said star, its absolute magnitude is -6.02. Bright, ain't it?"

This thingamajig in astronomy is comparable to importance of little things. While looking far, something may seem completely irrelevant, if you look a bit closer you'll find out its significance... Like you. I didn't expect you to be a big, big part of my life right now, but since I took steps closer to you, I now see you somehow as an integral part of my daily life. A day wouldn't pass without you being in a fraction of it. Sometimes it would get a little annoy--"

"Gongchan-ah!" A voice cut me off.

Gongchan stood up and smiled as he saw the person who called out to him.


OH MANNNNN It's been a long time since I updated this hahahahahaha almost a year? I'm sorry, everyone!! School really got in the way, so now that it's over, I'm gonna try to write as much as I can. Thank you for waiting patiently for this update! fjafjafjgkhaskh i appreciate all of you so much ;7; i hope you guys liked it... though i didn't like it really because idek what to do anymore loool but i'll get the story fixed soon safasfasfsfasfassfsa i really thank everyone tho aaaah thank you thank you thank you :D :D

btw I haven't proofread this or reread this HAHAHA i'm sorry