Last Piece

Sunshiners' Wishes - Fic Collection

Sunny walked slowly, conscious of each step she took. The boy looked up at her with distant eyes and she stared back. She sat next to him, not too close. They sat next to each other and spoke no words. She found herself staring at him. His face had cuts and his arms had bruises (old and new). She didn't really noticed them until today. She was always the type of person to keep their eyes on their own paper, but today she didn't wanted to. 

" Can you stop staring? " Sunny looked away from the scars and met eyes with him. His eyes were dark sharp. She could tell they held back so many things. Sunny turned the other way and held out a band aid. She look back after holding on the band aid for a pretty long time. He was gone. 

 
 

Sunny walked in class and sat down. She glanced towards the seat, 3 to the left of her seat. Kim Wonsik's desk. He was there with his head buried into his arms. Was he crying? Was he ok? Sunny continued to ask herself these questions.  

 
 

The bell rung, signaling lunch time. Sunny packed her stuff slowly and walked around the classroom. He was still there, on the desk with his face buried in his arms. She walked towards him. She was walking slow, but it felt fast. 

" Are you ok? " Sunny's voice came out weak and quiet. He remained still and Sunny gave him a poke. There was nothing still. Sunny shook him a little. 

" Can you leave me alone? " Sunny's face dropped and did a little nod before going back to her seat. She turned towards his direction. His arms were covered by the uniform. Did he bandaged it up? Does it still hurt? She wanted to know. She knew she had some fault in it. She had a sin. A sin of indifference. Indifference, no difference because Sunny did not show any emotions. Sunny always wore a mask. A mask that covered herself that made her blind. A mask that she doesn't know how to take off. 

 
 

He was sitting on the floor this lunch period. The cuts on his face was healed. Sunny sat next to him. In this school, they had connection. They were people who weren't spoke to. They were people who were deemed weird by everyone else. They were the misfits. 

" What are you eating? " 

" Candy. " Sunny found herself shocked. Shocked that he spoke. She continued on, hoping to hear him speak more. 

" Why candy? " He handed her one and she removed the wrapper. Popping it in , the candy's flavor spread all through . The candy was awfully sweet. 

" It's really sweet isn't it? " She nodded. 

" Why do you eat it? " He looked at her for a few moments and she felt her heart skip a beat because in his eyes she saw so much pain and exhaustion. 

" Because it's probably the only thing that can get this bitter feeling out. " 

 

Sunny sat next to him again and watch him take out another piece of candy before unwrapping it.  

" I'm sorry. " He looked at her with an unreadable expression. 

" If only I didn't try to ignore things, I could've of... " Sunny shut up because she realized she couldn't do anything even if she tried. He turned away after seeing her lost expression. 

" It's ok. My mom didn't know what to do either. That's why she left. " Sunny found her words again. They were desperate to try to make him understand she was going to be there. 

" No. I. I won't leave you. I'm. I'm going to help you, " Sunny said, stumbling over her words. He glared at her softly as if telling her to back off. 

" Don't say things you can't do. " He got up and left. 

 

His desk was empty. It has been for the past week. Sunny walked home and glance over to the house to her side. The windows had no light. Where was he?  

 

After school, Sunny walked home. She saw a figure that was lying in front of the house. The house that was his. She ran to him. 

" Where have you been? " He gave her a slight smile but his eye remain focused on the ground. He didn't answer her. She pulled him up and he let out a groan. She looked down to where she saw him holding on his side. 

" You got hurt again. " The sentence came out as a statement. She knew. 

 

She helped him in to her house despite his refusement. They sat on her couch and silenced filled the air.  

" Why did you- " He stopped because he noticed she was crying. 

" Why are you crying? " His eyes were filled with panicked as his hands held on to her shoulders. She wiped her tears and hugged him. 

" Because I don't know what to do to help you. I don't you to be hurt like this. I want your father to stop hurting you, but I can't do anything. I'm so useless. I'm sorry, Wonsik. I wish I could help you. " He reached his hands up and pat her back.  

" It's ok. " Sunny pulled away and wiped her tears. She reached into her pocket frantically and pulled out a piece of candy. 

" Here, " she said, holding the piece of candy. He shook his head. 

" You can have it. I have more, " he replied as he reached into his pocket. But there was none. Sunny held his hand and opened his palm gently. She placed the piece of candy in his hand. 

" Have the last piece. " She wrapped her arms around him again. 

" I don't know how I'm going to help you, but I'm here. I want you to not feel pain or bitterness. I want you to be happy. " She felt tears on her shoulder and she patted his back. 

" I care for you. I love you Wonsik. I'm going to be here for you. I promise. "