Chapter 2

You're My Little Secret

 

During the car ride back to the dorm after school, Fei was more quiet than usual. While Min, Jia, and Suzy talked excitedly about their valentines, Fei just rest her head against her headrest and listened to music through her headphones.

When they reached their dorm, Fei went in without a word. She quickly switched into her house shoes and went straight to her room. As she removed her headphones from around her ears, tears began to swell in her eyes. She sat on her bed and let them fall, silently weeping.

A couple of minutes later, Suzy came in their shared room, struggling to carry her many gifts. She had a huge teddy bear, chocolates, and various cards.

“Aigoo!” She said cheerfully. Somehow, she managed to handle it all and put them in the corner of the room. She smiled until she saw Fei weeping.

“Gwenchanayo (are you okay)?” Suzy went to close the bedroom door, and then sat on the edge of the bed next to Fei. “What’s wrong, unni?” Suzy placed her hand on Fei’s shoulder and gently rubbed it. Fei unburied her head from her hands and looked up at a sympathetic Suzy.

“No one likes me,” Fei said, defeated. She looked away, embarrassed, tapping her cheeks, trying to make herself stop crying.

“Bolyo?” Suzy said, confused. “That’s not true! Why would you say that?”

“Look around Suzy,” Fei rolled her tear glazed eyes and sniffled, “you got so many gifts from guys today, I didn’t get anything.”

Suzy hated seeing her unni cry. When Fei was sad, it made Suzy sad too. “Those gifts mean nothing.” Suzy pointed to her pile of Valentines. “Do you want something? Because you can have it,” Suzy stated, in an attempt to make Fei feel better. She studied Fei’s face for a reaction.

“Anniyo,” Fei said sheepishly while tears continued to roll down her cheeks.

“Aeesh!” Suzy sighed, frustrated. “Stop crying! Please unni. If I were a guy, I would date you.”

“Wae-Waeyo?” Fei’s eyes darted up at Suzy. Suzy smiled slightly and wiped away Fei’s tears.

“For starters, you’re beautiful, y, talented, and you can cook! Because of you, we never starve. You’re perfect,” Suzy smiled.

“Kamsamnida,” Fei said wiping her eyes. Suzy stared at Fei. Although she was crying, Suzy still found her beautiful.

“Can I sing for you?” Suzy grabbed Fei’s hand and interlocked fingers. She began singing SHINee’s Replay. “Noona neomu yeppeo…” Fei blushed and cracked a small smile.

“Whatever,” Fei chuckled in disbelief.

“Anni,” Suzy said softly as she cupped Fei’s face in her hands, “Jeongmal.” Suzy used her thumbs to wipe away Fei’s tears, then moved in close. “Joahaeyo.” She leaned in and kissed Fei on the lips. Reflexively, Fei wrapped her arms around Suzy’s waist and kissed her back. They pulled apart.

Fei blinked a couple of times, trying to register what just happened. She looked at Suzy, who was waiting for a reaction. “Are you sure?” Fei asked, referring to her confession, “maybe we shouldn’t.”

“Geureomyo (of course)!” Suzy exclaimed as her eyes shone. “Maldo andwae nunsoriyah (you’re speaking nonsense)! I’m a grown woman now Fei,” Suzy said, brazenly dropping the unni honorific, “and I know what I want.” Her lips curled upwards as she looked at Fei who was biting her bottom lip in anticipation, suppressing a smile.

Fei couldn’t believe how much Suzy had grown. From being the adorable maknae, to transforming into a courageous, audacious woman, Fei found her incredibly y. She received her lips, and they kissed slowly and sweetly, finding their own unique rhythm.

Min and Jia’s voices grew near as they heard footsteps approaching the bedroom. Suzy and Fei pulled apart just as Min and Jia opened the door.

“What are y’all up to?” Min asked. She stood in the doorway eyeing Suzy. Jia looked at Fei, noticing her red puffy eyes.

“Omo, Fei unni, gwenchana? What happened?” Jia asked, concerned. Suzy and Fei looked at each other, then Suzy spoke up.

“I told her about this horror film I wanted to watch tonight, and just the plot got her scared,” Suzy lied, covering for Fei.

“We’re watching a movie tonight? Oh daebak,” Min expressed. She looked at Jia. “Come on, let’s make some popcorn.” Min linked arms with Jia and they left towards the kitchen.