Chapter 1

You're My Little Secret

 

Bright, fluorescent lights shone down. Throughout the hallways of Seoul Arts Academy, each locker had its owner’s name transcribed inside a pink heart. Today was Valentine’s Day, and Fei, Jia, Min and Suzy were standing next to their lockers before their day of classes began.

“Yeppoda,” Suzy said as she trailed her finger along the heart shape on her locker.

“I wonder how many Valentines we got,” Min said expectantly. Suzy opened her locker and a cluster of pink envelopes fell out onto the floor.

“Ottoke,” she stepped back and looked at the small pile on the floor.

“So cute!” Fei said as she pinched Suzy’s cheeks. Suzy scrunched her face up and slapped Fei’s hands away. They both bent down to examine the envelopes. There were cards from Yoseob, Myungsoo, Soo Hyun, and a host of other guys. Suzy opened one and smiled.

“Who did you get cards from?” Min asked Jia. They had pulled their cards out of their lockers.

“Minho and Mir, you?”

“GiKwang and Lee Joon.”

“Lee Joon?” Jia asked. “He and Mir usually hang out in the library.” Jia grabbed Min’s wrist. “Let’s go!” They ran to the library to find the guys.

They crept into the library and spotted Lee Joon with his crew MBLAQ. They searched for a safe place to spy. The girls ended up behind a bookcase. They slyly pulled books off the bookcase so they’d get a good view of MBLAQ without the boys being able to see them. Min peeked through a space between the books, while Jia, being the taller one, stood behind Min and peeked from the shelf above.

Lee Joon was playfully showing off his ballet skills. He laid on his back and pulled his legs apart, trying to distance them at a 180 degree angle. When he couldn’t succeed, Mir and his friend Thunder laughed at the boy in the too-tight jeans.

Min bent down trying to get a better look and felt herself back into something.

“Ahh!” she screamed as she turned around, and Jia pulled Min to the ground. She placed her hands on her shoulders.

“Are you trying to get us caught?” Jia whispered through clenched teeth.

“You startled me,” Min replied.

MBLAQ went silent and looked towards the bookcase. When they didn’t hear anything else, they went back to talking.

Min and Jia grabbed each other and came back up. Jia leaned against the neighboring bookcase with her arms crossed while eyeing Min up and down. Min saw an all-too-familiar twinkle in Jia’s eye. Jia pushed herself off the bookcase and walked towards Min, jutting her arm up next to her.

“What are you doing?” Min asked, inflecting her voice at every word. Cushioned between two bookcases, the space became very intimate. Min looked left to right self-consciously. “Not here,” she hissed.

Whenever the two got drunk, Min and Jia would casually fool around, but only back in their room, in the two-bedroom apartment that they shared with the other half of Miss A. No one knew except for them, as they didn’t want to run the risk of Fei and Suzy feeling uncomfortable around them, and it was a secret Min intended to keep.

“Alright,” Jia said with a smirk, and reached to grab a book two shelves above Min. She kissed Min’s forehead on the way down and backed off.

Back out in the hallway, Suzy and Fei were still at their lockers.

“Unni, aren’t you going to check how many you got?” Suzy asked.

“Oh? Anniyah,” Fei adjusted her shirt collar. “I’m not interested.” Actually, Fei had checked but she didn’t receive any. Rather than admit the sad truth, Fei diverted the subject. “If we don’t want to be late, we should get to class, palli (hurry)."