Chapter 3

You're My Little Secret

 

As Min set up the movie, the smell of freshly popped popcorn wafted throughout the apartment. Suzy and Fei emerged from their room and took a spot on the couch. Suzy rest her hand on the armrest and obediently waited for her unnies. She spotted Jia in the kitchen putting her finishing touches on the popcorn, drizzling it in melted butter.

“Jia unni palli!” Min yelled from the living room. Min went to take a seat on the couch, but Fei stopped her. She wagged her finger at the younger girl. “What?” Min asked, standing back upright.

“You can’t sit here,” Fei said plainly.

“Why not?” Jia questioned. At that moment, Jia curved around the couch with the bowl of popcorn. Suzy looked up at Jia and smiled, then grabbed a few kernels.

“I will not have you two spooking me throughout the whole movie.” Fei said.

“Aigoo, how rude,” Jia exclaimed. She came around to the front of the couch and pointed the popcorn bowl at Fei. As Fei went to grab some, Jia clutched the bowl to her chest. “No popcorn for you!” She eyed Fei as she walked to the empty side of the couch and sat down in front of it. Min had already laid down a blanket for them sit on. Fei rolled her eyes at Jia as Suzy chuckled to herself. Min went to turn off the lights, then plopped down next to Jia and started the movie.

As the movie played on the screen, they were all intently watching. Jia sat Indian style with the popcorn bowl in her lap, eating, while Min had a hold of Jia’s arm and was shouting at the screen.

“No! What are you doing? Don’t open the door, don’t do it!” Min shouted, as if she could control what was happening.

On the other end, Suzy was relaxed with her arm around the couch, while Fei was clutching her knees to her chest in anxiety; Min’s sudden outbursts weren’t helping either.

“Andwae, andwae!” Min screamed at the tv. Just then, a grotesque goblin popped up on screen, making everyone flinch in their seats.

“Ahh!” Fei yelped in terror and reflexively jerked in her seat.

“Oh?” Suzy’s eyes widened in amused surprise as Fei landed lopsided in her lap.

Min and Jia turned to look at Fei and Suzy in the awkward position.

“Heol…” Min scowled as she cut her eyes towards Fei in displeasure from being distracted from the movie.

“Mianhae,” Fei replied sheepishly, her cheeks burning a fiery red. Suzy silently snickered while Fei flipped her hair. Jia poked Min in the side with her finger, bringing her attention back to the movie.

Fei began to slide off of Suzy and back to her spot on the couch, when Suzy grabbed Fei’s waist and pulled her more sturdily into her lap. Fei glanced back at Suzy and Suzy just smiled at her. She brushed Fei’s hair to one side and then rested her chin on her shoulder. Fei rested back against Suzy’s body as she felt secure in her arms. “Chu” she mouthed and she snuck a kiss on Suzy’s cheek, causing Suzy to cheese and hug her tighter as they secretly linked fingers in Fei’s lap.

~~~~

By the end of the movie, Min was rolled up in the covers, and Jia was using her as footrest. Everyone got up and stretched after sitting dormant for 2 hours. Jia lifted her feet off of Min’s back, and reached for the remote to turn the tv off.

While the lights were still off, Min snuck around the couch to where Fei was and got right behind her.

“Boo!” Min whispered and then quickly grabbed Fei underneath the covers around her shoulders. Fei let out a shriek. Suzy the lights to find Min with her hands on Fei’s shoulders. Min, being caught, dropped her arms and started laughing. Jia came over and laughed with her.

“Payback!” Min exclaimed and then high-fived Jia. Fei glared at Min and then smacked her on her upper arm. “Oww!” Min said rubbing her arm, “So abusive.”

“Yah!” Fei started, before Jia interjected her.

“Calm down, you’re gonna get wrinkles that way,” Jia said. Fei scowled at Jia and lifted her arm to threaten her. “Ca ja (Let’s go)!” Jia said and then pulled Min towards their room before Fei could strike her. As they walked backwards to their room, they said goodnight to Suzy and Fei while Jia stuck her tongue out at her.