Understanding

Arrogance and Ignorance: College Daze

Kai was silent the whole rest of the ride to the camp. It was very cheesy to say, but without Kaemi, he felt like he was missing something. Even before they had started dating, he always looked for her to be a constant in his life, whether they were arguing, or just goofing around. While he pouted and reflected on the words she had said to him, she was trying to concentrate on a new story she was writing. Ironically, she was trying to keep her mind off Kai, but he inspired the story, and she was jotting down her ideas in a notebook he had given her as a gift.

“Are you okay?” the girl across from Kaemi asked suddenly. Kaemi turned to look at her and gave her a small smile. “I heard you arguing with your boyfriend before and you looked pretty upset.”

“I’m okay; he’s just being a butthead right now,” Kaemi replied with a roll of her eyes.

“A butthead? I haven’t heard that one since about third grade,” the girl giggled. “But I suppose sometimes a throwback insult is just what’s needed. I’m Mia by the way.”

“Kaemi. Nice to meet you, Mia.” Kaemi was grateful for the distraction as her writer’s block was starting to frustrate her. “Sometimes I don’t even know why I bother with him.”

“I kinda feel for you,” Mia agreed. “I have a twin brother and he can be such a pest sometimes. Frankly, I think I hit him one too many times in the head when we were little.” Both girls laughed and Kaemi knew that she could be good friends with this girl.

“Well, boys are dumb, so…”

“I resent that, Kae,” Chanyeol said, taking the empty seat next to Mia. He turned slight to the girl and stuck out his hand. “I’m Chanyeol, and for the record, my grades are pretty decent.”

“Mia. Even though you are a boy, and therefore dumb, I think you have a very interesting face,” She said to her new seat companion. Chanyeol’s face flushed and he rubbed the back of his neck nervously.

“I’m not sure if that’s a compliment or an insult,” he said, much to both girls amusement. Mia just patted him on the shoulder.

“A compliment,” she clarified. “But I’m serious. Would you mind if I made some sketches of you?”

“Seriously?” Chanyeol asked, and Kaemi held back a snort of laughter at his reactions. “I mean, this is so…”

“Random? Sorry,” This time it was Mia’s turn to be a little shy. “Sometimes I open my mouth and whatever just flies out. But then I think, ‘No regrets’ because regrets, like boys, are dumb.”

“Why are you even up here, Chan?” Kaemi said through her giggle. Chanyeol shrugged and jabbed a thumb behind him.

“Kai was sulking so much that he just fell asleep, and I got bored,” he answered. Kaemi scowled and folded her arms over her chest. “I know; he’s being a butthead.”

“What is it with you two and your grad school insults?” Mia grinned. Chanyeol grinned back, and for a moment, all he could see was the petite blonde girl, with a mischievous grin and a random, but fun, personality.

“In any case, he just needs to stop being so rude to Daesang, and maybe I won’t be so mad,” Kaemi said, surreptitiously poking Chanyeol out of his trance. “Don’t be so obvious, Oppa.” Chanyeol blushed to his ears and stood, turning back towards his original seats.

“I’ll let him know. Uh, Mia? It was nice to meet you. Hopefully we’ll see each other around,” Before either girl could respond, he returned to his seat. As soon as he left, Mia turned to Kaemi and grinned.

“He’s very cute. Hopefully we will see each other around,” she said, wiggling her eyebrows and making Kaemi laugh. It was trading jokes and getting to know each other that sustained the girl’s attention through the rest of the bus ride.

When they arrived, the first thing all students were told to do was find their groups. Kaemi stuck with Chanyeol the whole time, and ignored Kai, who seemed hesitant to talk to her. One the groups were completely formed and shown the cabins where they would be staying, it was time for dinner and time for both Kai and Kaemi to face the music.

Kaemi was eating with Mia, Chanyeol and some of their group members. She was slightly worried that Kai was nowhere to be seen (she was mad, but not so mad to not notice that he was skipping a meal when he usually never did). Halfway through the meal, she was ready to go and talk to him when he sauntered into the dining hall, hands shoved into his pockets, and a bored look on his face. He scanned the area for her, and upon seeing her walked right over.

“Can we talk?” he asked simply, drawing the attention of the whole table. Kaemi hesitated a bit, but nodded and stood. He took her hand in his and together they walked from the table and out to the hallway of the building.

“Before you say anything, I want you to know that I’m sorry,” Kai said as they continued to walk down the hallway and towards the exit. “I was being immature and unreasonable, and you have every right to be mad at me.”

“Damn straight I do,” Kaemi mumbled, though she was happy that he apologized.

“But I also thought about what you said, and I want to let you know that you have nothing to worry about. I’m the one who should be worried.”

“…And by that you mean?”

“Remember when I told you that I loved you? I wasn’t joking. You are right, there are people who know me better than you do, and like the same things that I like. But they aren’t you. You’re special. And I’m so afraid that someone is just going to take you away from me.” Kai sighed and rubbed his face with his free hand. By that time, they had made it outside of the building, and the sun was slowly setting in the distance. Under any other circumstance, this might have been romantic, but Kaemi wasn’t really paying attention to that.

“I worry because I think you’re an amazing person, and I know that there are others who think so too, and I just don’t want to lose you. You’re right; we do handle our worries differently, and I apologize for being mean to Daesang. I’ll make more of an effort to get along with him. I know it’s important to you.”

Kaemi was rendered speechless. Now, she and Kai shared a lot of things with each other, and feelings were no exception to that. But this was a display of emotion that she had never seen from him, and it caught her off guard. Even though she was caught off guard, she was very touched.

“Kai, I love you.” She didn’t waste any time in pulling his face close to hers and kissing him, soft but full of emotion. His arms automatically wrapped around her waist and they stayed like this for a while, simply touching foreheads when they were too out of breath to continue.

“I love you, but you can be an idiot sometimes,” Kaemi said, cracking a grin. Kai rolled his eyes but grinned back.

“I love you, but you’re really short,” he said, and before she could react, he lifted her over his shoulder. She squealed and began hitting his back.

“Let me down this instant! How dare you call me short? I could take you any day of the week, Mr. Ballerina!”

“Ah, ah, ah. Not letting you down now that you said that. I’ll have you know that ballet is a very manly form of dance.”

“Kim Jongin, if you don’t let me down right now I swear I’ll-”

“Am I interrupting something?” Kai with Kaemi still hoisted over his shoulder, turned to find Ha Joo, their chaperone standing there, an amused look on her face. “I see you two lovebirds made up already.”

“Oh hey, Ha Joo. How was dinner?” Kai asked, not at all fazed by the professor’s appearance.

“Good, though I’ve had better,” she replied with a shrug. Kaemi let out a loud sigh and hit Kai again.

“Are you really just going stand here carrying on a conversation like a filthy casual?” She felt Kai’s shoulders move as he laughed and then set her back on her feet. She huffed and straightened her clothing before giving Ha Joo an embarrassed smile and swatting Kai on the arm.

“That last one was for good measure,” Kaemi said before going back into the building.

“She’s quite the little spitfire, isn’t she?” Ha Joo mused, once Kaemi was out of earshot.

“That’s why I love her,” Kai replied with a grin. “Was there something that you wanted?”

“Ah, yes. I was looking for all the members of group eight; some sort of meeting to prep you for tomorrow’s activities. I can’t remember.” Ha Joo shrugged.

Kai raised an eyebrow and headed past her back into the building. “And you’re supposed to be the responsible adult on this trip?”

“Yah! I heard that!”

“So you and Kai made up I see,” Chanyeol mused as Kaemi came back to the table, all smiles. She nodded and nudged him with her elbow.

“And how are you getting along with Mia?” Chanyeol turned a lovely shade of red and mumbled something. “What? I can’t hear you Chan, you have to speak up.” Kaemi was baiting him; Mia, who had gone to the bathroom was just returning and within earshot of their table.

“I said that I think Mia’s really cute!” Chanyeol huffed, and realizing that he said it much louder than he intended, slapped his hands over his mouth.

“Oh, really? Well thank you, Chanyeol. That’s nice of you,” Mia said, grinning as she took her seat. “Fortunately for me, I got the good looks; Jiho, not so much.”

“Don’t kid yourself, Mia,” Jiho, Mia’s twin brother said as he plopped in the seat next to her. “I’m Jiho, the smart and good-looking one.” Kaemi and Chanyeol laughed as the twins bickered.

“Nice to meet you, Jiho. I’m Kaemi and this is Chanyeol,” Kaemi greeted. Chanyeol gave a short wave and stood.

“I’m gonna go find Kai,” He said a bit nervously. “Nice to meet you Jiho. See you around Mia.” He turned to walk away and Kaemi rolled her eyes.

“Bye to you, too, Yeollie,” she called after him. Turning back to the twins, she said, “Sometimes I worry about that kid.”

“Who’s Kai?” Jiho asked. He then narrowed his eyes and gave Kaemi a sly smile. “Is he your boyfriend. Oooooh~”

“What are you, ten?” Mia scoffed.

“Yeah, Kai is my boyfriend. He’s in group eight,” Kaemi explained. Jiho nodded his understanding.

“Well, it was nice to meet you Kaemi. Don’t scare people too much with your face, Mia!” He ducked out of the way before his sister could smack him and left the dining hall, leaving the girls by themselves at the table.

“Your brother seems pretty okay,” Kaemi said. “Do you wanna head back to the rooms? I think we have a meeting or something soon.”

Just as she predicted, as soon as they got back to the rooms, they were gathered in the common room and sat through a meeting explaining the next day’s event.

“Punishments?” Mia whispered to Kaemi. “What is this? I thought this was supposed to be a retreat, not a game show.”

“I really hope we win tomorrow. Even though they won’t tell us what the punishments are, I have a feeling they won’t be good,” Kaemi whispered back.

“Let’s just hope Lady Luck is on our side.” The girls turned their attention back to the meeting.

That night, as they were getting ready for bed, Mia casually inquired about Chanyeol’s relationship status.

“He’s single,” Kaemi answered. “Why, are you interested? He’s a good guy.”

“Oh, no reason. Just curious,” Mia mumbled, a slight smile on her face. Kaemi smirked and gave her friend a pat on the back.

“Chanyeol is a nice guy. He’s a bit goofy, but he’s caring and loyal. If I didn’t have Kai… Well, you certainly left an impression on him. He completely forgot about me earlier,” Kaemi said, gauging her friend’s reaction. “And he called you cute. He doesn’t just call anybody cute.” Mia blushed to the tips of her ears.

“I’m going to sleep now!” She dived into her bed and pulled the covers up over her head. Kaemi, cackling at Mia’s embarrassment, retired to her own bed and snuggled down.


A/N: Okay, so this was a totally lame chapter. I wanted to post it on my birthday, which was three days ago, but guys, turning 20 is no joke. My sorority sisters and I baked apple pie all day and then we went out and I got super drunk. I had about three quarters of this written already, but wanted to edit it, and that was not happening when I couldn’t even figure out how to get in my bed (it’s lofted).

Anyway, I am really excited for this little side-plot of Chanyeol and Mia. Chanyeol is one of my biases, and I just wanted to give him some fluffy moments. The relationship between him and Mia is actually something I have been planning since before this story, so I am happy that it’s finally happening.

Also, if you could do me a huge favor and check out my friend's story. Featured me at her ad shop (which you should also check out because it's also awesome) so I thought I'd return the favor and do some promoting of her story. She's an amazing writer and I love her story so far. Please give her some encouragement!

My Soul To Take