2

Clockwork

                    

          You woke up to the noise of what sounded like an angel, and then it was suddenly interrupted by a mumbled ‘, . Damn it, damn it, no!’, and then the flapping of papers and a window being flung open. After that, there was a sigh of relief and a disgruntled groan. You roused yourself from sleep and padded out into the living area, wondering just what was going on. To your surprise, Daehyun was in the kitchen, his brow coated in a light sheen of sweat, slaving over the cook top. He seemed to be frustrated now that something was burned, but you leaned back, silent, and watched him busy his body again.

          It was charming the way his hair was sticking up from sleep and was wild on top of his head. He kept yawning and smacking his full lips, then shaking his head and adjusting the heat on the stove, stirring something or another, and then looking at the microwave for the time.

          “Did I say you could use my food?” you asked finally as he went to whisk some egg in a bowl, but he ended up nearly throwing it all over the counter had he not caught it in the nick of time.

          “Jesus, you scared me!” Daehyun gasped out, clutching his chest dramatically and then in a split second, looked like a guilty dog. “I just thought since you let me spend the night here I could cook you breakfast and-“

          “And calm down there bud, I was kidding.” you said quickly, cutting him off. You began to feel remorseful for not being more careful with your words. He seemed like a genuine person who felt like everything was his fault, when in reality, nothing was. He seemed to shrink before your eyes as he slouched over and began whisking the eggs slowly, monitoring the pans on the range closely to be sure nothing was out of place.

          “I heard you singing earlier.” you brought up casually, moving your way into the kitchen and picking a seat on the counter where there wasn’t food or cooking utensils. He simply hummed and turned his head to look over his shoulder at you.

          “Sorry if it woke you up. I’ll be quieter next time. Or better yet, I’ll hum.” he offered up, but you shook your head and kicked out your foot to tap him on the . He jumped at the touch.

          “Lighten up roomie, you’re going to be here for as long as you please so you might as well get used to the abuse.” you told him, lightly laughing. “And you don’t have to be quiet when you sing. It’s amazing. Have you ever considered like, posting up YouTube videos or going to a talent agency?”

          Daehyun shrugged his shoulders and moved some hash browns to a side of a pan and poured the yolk that was in the bowl onto the skillet. It sizzled as he spoke.

          “I did back home, but they already had a group that was going to debut soon and they said I wouldn’t have enough time to get conditioned for what they were going to put us though. Sometimes I see them on TV and I am grateful that I don’t have to endure what they’re doing.” he explained with a bitter smile adorning his usually sweet face. You stuck out your leg and pointed your toes and jabbed him in the side.

          “Don’t look down, it’s for the best. If you frown you’re going to get more wrinkles on your face already.”

          “I do not have wrinkles.” he said a bit defensively, but you shook your head and let it off. They were cute wrinkles, but you’d let him wallow in self-pity for the time being.

          Daehyun turned to shut off the stove after he examined the eggs and nodded. He swiveled on his heels and picked up some plates off the counter that you assumed he had found earlier in a kitchen raid. He dished out portions for the both of you and handed you a plate while he set his off to the side so he could begin dishes.

          “Don’t bother. Come sit down with me in the living room.”

          Daehyun didn’t think twice to say no as he turned off the water and picked up his plate, a fork and a napkin and trotted after you to where he slept last night. He had set it up already to look like a bed; the pillows nice and stacked while his single sheet was tucked under the cushions. You looked at him and he sat down, patting the spot beside him, inviting you to take a seat too.

          “I almost feel bad for ruining your nice couch bed.” you joked. He cracked a smile and swallowed his bite.

          “It’s your house, I’m just temporary. Think of me as a flea or something. I’ll be here for a while and when you get tired of me, I’ll leave. It’s no problem.” he said, forking some sausage into his mouth. The way he chewed reminded you a bit of a cow, but you’d keep that to yourself.

          Daehyun seemed to be fascinated with his food until your cat walked out from behind the couch, rubbing it’s head on his legs for some scraps. Daehyun looked down at the feline and then to you, unsure of your rules when it came to animal care.

          “She wants some potato.” you told him, and Daehyun gave you a confused look.

          “Are you sure she doesn’t want meat? She wants hash browns?” he made sure, and you nodded. He shrugged and raised his eyebrows implying that you were crazy, but he picked up a small handful of them and held them out for the cat, that them down like it hadn’t been fed in days. You noticed him smile wide at the animal, and just as soon as it approached him, it ran away, satisfied with its tiny meal.

          “You have a weird cat.” he commented. “Then again, that fits you I suppose. Did you pick him up off the streets too?” he asked, and you knew it wasn’t supposed to be a comment that hurt him, but the second it left his mouth, his eyes dulled to a copper brown as opposed to the hot chocolate ones you liked seeing. He brought his legs closer to him and looked into his lap as he took another bite. He made himself physically smaller when he felt bad. You took note. You tried to twist this to make him feel better.

          “I did, but now she’s my best friend and most trusted companion, and I love her so.”

          Love. You rolled your eyes, looking away from him, which made you miss the fact that his face was right red. You forgot that you agreed to be his girlfriend on the bus and that was that, but it never struck you that he’d have feelings for you off of it. You whipped you head to look at him, but he was back to his normal posture, eating the rest of his food before it got cold. He had the right idea, and you finished yours too quickly to start on the dishes. Daehyun rushed to help you.

          He only got in your way, but it wasn’t too terrible since you realized that Daehyun’s company was the only company you’ve really been in since you moved out and was on your own. He never seemed to be invading your space, and while he was stepping on your toes, it was more like a dance gone wrong than an annoyance. He was gentle, and you needed someone was sure to not crack your China skin.

          He seemed to contrast you, but it was complimenting. He had tanned skin from being on the streets for so long and he had a full face while yours was hollow. Under his eyes, there were pillows while yours were bags, but one thing you both lacked was luster and shine in your eyes. He was lost, just like you, and fate would have it you met on the bus, the one place where you felt like you were home. He hadn’t interrupted the clockwork, he just reset it to be sure his time was factored in. It wasn’t too bad.

          The dishes were done in a matter of time, and work wasn’t until a couple of hours. You had time to kill, and Daehyun’s clothing that he was wearing then seemed to be tattered, and then you remembered you promised to take him shopping. For some reason unbeknownst to you, light touches always seemed to get his attention. While he was drying his hands, you grazed his shoulder with your hand and set it at your side. You watched him shudder, and he stiffly turned around to look at you with a forced smile.         

          “Yes?” he asked, seemingly distraught.

          “Do you not want me to touch you?” you asked, steering the conversation in another direction for a quick stop. Daehyun shook his head and he eased up, apologizing under his breath and looking off to the side. He brought his hands up to his chest and began rubbing his wrists and squeezing his hands. He seemed nervous, but you didn’t pay any mind. “Anyways, do you want to go out shopping for a little bit? If you need something to wear out, I have a few sweaters I can loan you.” you told to him, and then you bit the inside of your cheek when you saw his reaction.

          He had one arm draped across his chest to allow himself to hold his other. He was squeezing himself in and he laughed a little, examining his own clothing and then eyeing his backpack.

          “Yeah, I must look pretty rough, don’t I?” he asked, and you began to shake your head and you reached for him, but something inside you stopped your movement and let your hand drop to the side.

          “That’s not what I meant.”

          “Then what did you mean?” he spat back, and you felt like you were being attacked.

          “I was just trying to offer you some clothing in case yours were dirty-“

          “So you are saying I’m dirty?”

          “Well, I’m saying your clothes might be and I don’t know what you keep in your backpack! You can unpack now you know. You kind of live here…”

          Your eyes shot to the couch where Daehyun had made up his bed, and you glanced at his backpack, frayed and beaten and faded from God knows how many hours of being outside. You wondered when the last time he slept inside was, and you wondered when the right time to ask would be. You wanted to know more about him, but he seemed to roll his eyes and run a hand through greasy hair. “Do you want to take a shower too? What’s yours is mine and what’s mine is yours.”

          He took to this a lot better, and he expanded in the space around him, letting his broad shoulders slump over and a defeated look grace his face. He certainly was handsome, but he wouldn’t know any time soon.

         

          About twenty minutes later, Daehyun stepped out of the bathroom in his boxers and what looked like a relatively clean blue T-shirt. He wasn’t bothered that he wasn’t wearing pants as he ruffled his hair with the towel you loaned him. You only had two sets of towels since you lived on your own, so you gave him the one you weren’t using. It was odd having another person in the house, but it made peace with the usual silence. His feet padded around on the floors and some of the things he did you decided were kind of cute.

          The most noticeable thing was that for a boy standing slightly taller than you, he tried to make himself smaller. Almost all of the shirts in his bag (which was now strewn out in front of you so you could do his laundry), were a size too big for him. He touched his earrings a lot and twisted them when he was talking to you, and you guessed it a nervous habit, but even when he spoke to himself, his hands were busying with one ear or another. He scrunched his nose up when he was asked a question and he seemed to smile extra wide when you brought up any sort of meal. Then again, after living off god knows what for who knows how long, you’d be happy when you were fed too.

          “Can you toss me the pair of jeans to your left please?” Daehyun asked from the couch, where he was sitting with a towel on his head. You didn’t look at him as you tossed the jeans over you to him, and he fumbled with it for a second but caught it. He stood up to jimmy them on, and then he brushed them off and gave himself a curt frown. For old clothing, they looked just fine. Daehyun’s physical attributes were better than most, so that made up for a lot.

          “We’re going to go now Daehyun, so get your shoes on, okay?” you said, breaking the silence that seemed to be in the air ever since your small argument. He nodded and walked over to the door and slipped them on while you put some food in the cat’s bowl. He opened the door and stepped outside while you put your own shoes on. For some reason, you didn’t like that he had left you for the brief moments. You’d have to make up an excuse to be sure he didn’t do it again, like the cat would get out or something mundane.

          You opened the door and stepped outside yourself and saw Daehyun looking over the railing, his eyes closed and a small smile on his face. You could hear him quietly humming a song that you couldn’t recognize, but it still warmed you to the core. Even his hums were angelic.

          “Hyun.” you said, and he stopped, standing up straight and looking at you seriously. You were a little off put, but at least he filled the space up around you. Perhaps you ran on a clockwork while he lived in a cage. Both of you were looking for a way to escape your fate, but the circumstances given were just too much, or rather, not enough.

          “You lead the way.” Daehyun said, stepping back for you to take charge. Hesitantly, you stepped before him, down stairs and down the streets while he was always a step behind you. It was odd that he didn’t walk next to you, considering on the bus his hands were itching to hold yours, but it lingered in the back of your head that you were his girlfriend on the bus, and that was it. Outside, he was your roommate; your friend. You weren’t anything special to him and he shouldn’t have been to you, but that was starting to get hard.

          He dragged his feet when he walked and you heard him sniffle more than once, and perhaps it was the dust or he was getting sick, but you slowed your pace to walk next to him since he wasn’t going to do it himself, but he always ended up behind you. Maybe it was because he was trying to be humble about it; about you. You were in charge because he was indebted to you, and the thought was nice; you were in control for once in your life over someone, over something. It made you feel powerful, but save it for later when you need it, because too much was bound to be bad for you.

          You were in front of the store in little time to you at least since you weren’t really paying attention, and Daehyun bumped into your back since apparently he wasn’t either.

          “We’re here?” he said in a questioning matter, and you shrugged.

          “I guess.”

          Daehyun stepped in front of you and opened the door wide, sweeping his hand to let you go in before him. Thanking him, you noticed this was another tactic to place himself behind you. You turned around to him once inside though and tried to switch roles.

          “Now, it’s your turn to lead. Pick out whatever you like, try it on, and then we can pay.” you explained, and Daehyun put his hands in his pockets and looked around the surrounding area.

          “Everything sure looks expensive.” he muttered, pulling out the pockets of his jeans. Some lint and crumbs fell out, and he looked miserable. You smiled at him weakly though, pulling out your own wallet and waving it in front him.

          “Don’t worry Daehyun, I’ve got you covered. Go wild. I promise I have more than enough to have you covered. Now, why don’t we get you some jeans, a pair of shoes or two, some new shirts and other things like socks and underwear and some new earrings for you too, no?”

          Daehyun inflated again and nodded at the list, happy that he was being spoiled. Since he had gotten here, to the states, he had always been on his own, and now that someone, you, was there to treat him like he was a human and not scum on the streets, he was elated. Daehyun ran in front of you into the depths of the store to begin his spree, but he always kept number tallying in his head as he piled shirts upon shoes and pants into the cart.

 

          “Your total will be $217.38. With your shopper’s card and additional discount, you saved $203.22. Thank you and have a nice day!” the cashier said in a tone that was a bit too forced to sound happy, but you thanked her with sincere gratitude and Daehyun looked like he was about to cry when he heard how much was saved. He had the majority of the bags in his hands while you carried four, which were relatively light anyways. Daehyun looked like he was about to rip off the clothes he had on and put the new ones on right away. When he was trying them on, you could see every smile wrinkle on his face and his eyes scrunched up and gave him whiskers. He was beyond adorable at times.

          “Thank you, so, so much.” he said as you left the store. He was now walking beside you since he seemed a bit more comfortable now that the trip was over. You both had about two hours until work started, which gave you enough time to go home, sort out his clothes into loads of laundry, and then get dressed for work and walk to the bus. You blushed a little thinking about it.

          The walk back was filled with idle chatter from mostly him, saying how excited he was to get to wear his new clothing and that once he got his first paycheck, he was going to treat you to a nice dinner since you were able to buy him a dress shirt and some slacks and fancy shoes. Daehyun was positively beaming with delight and his step had some spring in it. He was like a kid on Christmas if you ever did see one. You wondered how long he’d be with you. Would Christmas come and go and would you ring in the New Year with Daehyun still in your home? Thanksgiving was coming up fast. He seemed like a big eater.

          Once again, because thoughts of the boy consumed you, you found yourself home in the blink of an eye. Daehyun ran up the steps ahead of you and waited for you to unlock the door, and he grabbed the handle and opened it up for you, once again letting you go in front of him. Now that you were back at your house, you were in control. The cat was waiting patiently by the door and rubbed up against your legs once inside, and when Daehyun walked in, it didn’t hiss. You looked at your cat and scoffed.

          “Are you broken, ya’ damn animal?” you joked, shaking your head down at your cat, who blankly stared back at you. It let out a small chirp before flicking the tip of its tail and winding itself in between your legs again. Daehyun gently set down the bags by the door and squatted, holding out his hand for the cat to go and sniff it. You were about to tell him don’t bother, but it let him pet her.

          “You must be broken.” you said, and Daehyun looked up, still petting the cat and making it purr loudly.

          “Yeah, I am.” he replied, and you let out a short laugh.

          “I was talking about the cat, not you. Like I said, it hates everyone. And then you walk in. Didn’t I hear her purring last night?” you asked, and Daehyun leaned back to let himself drop to the floor and sit. He pulled the cat into his lap and scratched behind its ear, making it lift its chin and close its eyes in bliss.

          “You bet. The little bugger hopped up on my chest and settled down. She’s a sweet one, you know? I don’t know where you get this notion that she’s some kind of tiny kitten monster. Purrhaps she’s misunderstood? I’m pawsitve that’s it.” he said, laughing as the cat rolled over in his lap, asking for its tummy to be rubbed. You stared in awe, and then there was a warmth in your being. Your cat liked him, which meant you had to like him too, but you hoped he didn’t remember that. You’d have to give him the cold shoulder just a bit longer until you started showing that you cared. “Anyways, we need to get ready for work.” he said, pulling you back down to earth.

He was heaven.

 

On the bus, Daehyun let you sit by the window, and he placed his hand on your knee and just let it linger. He leaned his head to let it rest on your shoulder, and he let out a sigh. He was wearing the new shoes he had bought earlier and some new socks, and you were sure he had changed underwear too, but that was something you’d let him keep to himself. It’s not like you cared what was under his clothes or anything. Not in the slightest.

“You’re an angel, you know?” he said, rubbing his thumb on your skin and then giving you a small pinch. You looked at him and he grinned, now drumming his fingers on your kneecap and his head was in the crook of your neck. You swore you felt him kiss you, but it escaped your thoughts when he spoke again. “I’ll be happy the day you decide to be my girlfriend off the bus, you know?” he asked again. You gave him a side glance but couldn’t help to crack a smile.

“I’ll be happy the day you stop being such a huge sap.” you joked, and he laughed, moving his head to kiss your neck before settling back down. He was comfortable by your side and he faintly reminded you of your cat in a sense. You didn’t mind him being around him and he was warm. He trusted you, and he came to you out from nowhere and was making his place in your home. Better yet, he was comfortable on the couch unlike princess, your cat, who insisted on laying on your bed or in a box. When she saw Daehyun’s shoes come out of the box it might as well been Christmas. He was just as eager to sacrifice said box to the animal as well.        

He seemed a lot more at ease in his skin and he smelled nice even though the used all the same soaps you did until you found time to take him out to a convenience store to pick up some of his own. He was warm. Damn, was he warm. He reminded you of early summer nights when it was just warm enough to be comfortable. There was no sweat and you didn’t have to roll up your sleeves and his breathing was so close to your ear it could have lulled you to sleep if you weren’t afraid you’d miss your stop. He seemed to be drifting in and out of consciousness and the only think keeping him awake was him playing with your fingers and examining your hand. Daehyun had a hand , you were certain.

“Must you always be meddling with my fingers or palm or nails?” you asked in a whisper. It traveled right into his ear and sent shivers down his spine, and you could see his eyes gently flutter shut and his mouth twitch with a smile. He was so at peace before you talked to him and you somewhat felt bad, but he splayed out your hand and walked his fingers across it, feeling all where it dipped and where there were rough patches.

“I just want to hold on to it to be sure that you don’t let go. I can’t let you leave. Sorry, you’re stuck with me for a while until I get back on my feet.” Daehyun said, grinning. You smiled back at him and wanted to tell him vice versa, he was stuck with you which was going to be a bigger punishment, but you’d let him figure that out on his own.

 

Work was tireless and tedious as both you and he cleaned up around the shop with only a few familiar faces stopping in for their usual. One new girl came in though and seemed to be flirting with Daehyun, which shouldn’t have bothered you, but it did. You were jealous, and a bit mad he’d smile at any other girl when you gave him a roof over his head and new clothing. Then again, you didn’t have to and you couldn’t hold that against him. You didn’t have the heart to do it either. He looked so happy talking to someone who wasn’t you, and you could have sworn you saw her handing him a slip of paper, most likely her number. You didn’t even have his number. Did he have a phone?

She left within time and you were sure the spot on the table was extra clean because you had been scrubbing at it feverishly as you bore holes in the back of her head. Daehyun didn’t say anything as he walked to the trashcan and tossed the slip of paper in. You watched him go back to his work and couldn’t help but to be curious.

“Who was that?” you asked, sounding a little angry. He looked up and you could see the scars on his cheeks from acne. It gave him character.

“No one. Some girl came in because she thought I was cute and gave me her number, but she’s not my type. You are before you ask. I just don’t know how to say no to people.” he admitted.

“I’m flattered Daehyun, but you do know that by telling me this I’m going to have to lock my bedroom door at night to be sure you don’t sneak in and try to do something weird with me.”

“Please, I have some decency since I’ve been on the streets. If there’s one thing I know it’s that consent is key because otherwise you won’t get pa-”

He stopped himself from going on any more and walked off in the opposite direction, trying to find something to occupy himself with. You watched his Adam’s apple bob in his throat and he thickly swallowed. Tears pricked at the corners of his eyes and you could have finished his sentence if you wanted to, but you didn’t want to acknowledge your fears. You had a hint when he showed you his money, but it was hard.

“You have a conventional job now, its okay. You don’t have to be ashamed. I was joking in the first place, I know you won’t do anything. To be honest, I kind of want you to be in my room at night and just lying next to me, but I need to sort things out before I can allow that.”

“What, do you still wet the bed?” he asked, smirking and turning to go get behind the counter. He started making himself a smoothie and pulled out his wallet to add money to the register. You grimaced and flipped him off just in time for your manager to walk out and give you a dirty look. Daehyun couldn’t help but to laugh and undo his apron. You glanced at the clock and saw that it was time to leave, and that’s why Daehyun was making a smoothie. You walked behind the counter too and started untying your apron just as the people for the next shift walked in. Daehyun was already walking out the door before you barely got your attire hung up.

You had to walk quickly to catch up to him. He still looked mortified he almost let part of his past slip, and you felt god awful for imagining the straw he was on as something else. He had full lips and a beautiful face. He was flawless if it weren’t for his skin and someone like him just looked like he was well endowed. His pace was quicker than normal and you reached out to pinch his sweater and give it a tug. He stopped and you dropped your hands to your side.

“Before we get on the bus I was thinking we stop by a market and get you your own soaps and some food maybe since I’m used to cooking for only myself if you don’t mind. If not, you can get on the bus and I’ll give you the key and you can wait for me at home. It’s really okay Daehyun, I’m not grossed out and I don’t think of you any differently.” you told him. He crushed his smoothie a little in his hand and turned to face you and you saw he had chewed on the tip of the straw a lot.

“Why though? You do realize what that makes me, right? I’m indecent in so many ways and you don’t think of me any less? What kind of person are you?”

“One who understands that you’ve got to do what you have to in order to get by. And it doesn’t make you anything. Daehyun, you are who you are right now. Your past does not define you to me. Right now, you’re Daehyun. You are the boy who lives with me, who is my boyfriend on the bus, who needs to go shopping for soap with me and who has a hand .” you told him.

          “For the last time, I don’t have a hand !” he blurted out, and every head around the bus stop turned to stare at you two. His face was redder than yours, and he just cleared his throat to dismiss the stares. “Yours are just exceptionally pretty. That’s weird. Sorry.”

          There was a small smile on his face as he went to hold your hand, but he quickly put his own back at his side and then brought it up to run through his hair. It looked softer than ever since he had taken a shower and it whipped around in the wind. The weather was getting cooler as the days went by and fall was approaching. He glanced to the side at you and tossed his head towards down the road.

          “Then since the bus is going to be here soon, should we go ahead and get my soap or what?” he said, groaning a little as his eyes kept fleeting and looking at your hand. You rolled your own and gripped his wrist, then let it slip down to his hand. Daehyun’s breath seemed to get caught in his throat as you laced together your fingers, and he knew on your side it was platonic, but to him it made his heart race and flesh heat. You smiled at him and began down the sidewalk to the nearest store that would just have standard toiletries. He followed behind and kept running his thumb over your hand and he just seemed too entranced. You always had hated your hands, and it was weird to find someone who seemed to love all the things you hated about yourself.

 

          Daehyun stood by you with a bag in his hand as you waited for the next bus to come. It was later than usual, so no one was at the stop with you. He had picked out some soaps pretty fast since he just seemed to find everything peach scented and called it a day. You just kind of looked at him as he chose that scent over and over and he just meekly smiled. You smiled back at him though and decided you wouldn’t judge him since most likely he’d be sleeping in the same bed as you soon enough and you would like it if he smelled nice and sweet.

          When the bus driver bumbled up, he lifted a brow at you and you pointed to the bag in Daehyun’s hand, to which he let out an ‘ah’ and then let you pass. The driver and you seemed to have a mutual sort of understanding that you’d see each other the next day, and when you were sick, he’d always be sure the next time he saw you that you were okay. He was somewhat like a father figure, minus the talking. You didn’t speak to each other. You just pointed, nodded, and made small noises of understanding. It was an efficient enough system.

          You sat down by the window as usual and Daehyun was next to you. He was eager to put down the bag and immediately find your hand, and he held it as usual. He brought it into his lap and sprawled out your finger and traced around it. He never focused on your other hand though which was a little odd, but maybe if you sat on the aisle he’d switch. You’d experiment tomorrow, but for now, you were just flattered he was mumbling under his breath that you made him feel like he was worth something. Daehyun lifted your hand and he cradled it to his chest, and off guard, he turned to you and spoke.

          “Hey.” he said. You looked at him in the eyes and you felt like you were drowning. “Tell me if I’m off mark right now, but can I kiss you?” he asked, and you now knew where the feeling was coming from. You didn’t realize he had his hands in his lap and yours were free. And they were shaking. His were shaking more than yours, and he was a nervous mess. “You can say no. You can say, no, I’m stupid. Never mind. I didn’t mean it.” he stuttered out. “I mean, , . You’re- I’m- boyfriends and girlfriends kiss, right? This won’t make it weird off the bus? I’m weird. You don’t even like me, right? This is dumb.”

          You couldn’t help but to laugh at him, and that made him shake more. “Don’t laugh! I’m serious!” he snapped, and his eyes were shifting from your eyes to your lips, and he had now drawn his arms into the sleeves of his shirt a little bit and they were pressed against his body. He was doing his defense mechanism right now and you didn’t know how to tell him it was fine and that you wanted it, but you let your body do what your mouth wanted to say.

          First, you placed your hands on his shoulders and gently massaged them. You just wanted him to relax first and foremost. You could feel his whole body tremble and his breathing was ragged, but it was slowing. He hips lips to give them some moisture and you moved one hand to caress his face and then move some hair out of his face. The other shifted to wrap around his neck and touch it gently.

          “I don’t mind Daehyun, just calm down and grow again.” you told him, and he gave you a confused look.

          “Grow?” he asked, and you nodded.

          “When you’re scared or uncomfortable, you make your body smaller. You need to learn that the world isn’t out to get you anymore, so you can occupy the space you’re in. Grow Daehyun. Be confident.”

          He nodded. He nodded and mimicked your movements and wrapped his hands around the back of your neck and he let out a big sigh. You saw him expand and that brought you closer together. He pulled you in closer until your foreheads were touching and he smiled. He smiled and let out and awkward laugh and you noticed how when he finally kissed you, he was smiling into it. It felt perfect against your sore face from scowling all the time and when he broke away, you smiled at him and pulled him back in for one more. He laughed when your noses bumped and he smiled again and he kept his forehead on yours after it was done and he just stared into your eyes and grinned like a madman. You only wished someone could have taken a picture of the moment, because you were sure he looked bigger than he ever did in his life in those seconds.

          “You’re everything I’ve ever looked for when I was alone.” Daehyun said to you, cupping your face and leaning back. “You’re every person who I’ve needed when I was lost.”

          He kissed your nose.

          “You’re every trace of hope I lost when I was sent here to fend for myself.”

          He kissed your forehead.

          “You’re every word I’ve needed when I was at a loss for them, which has been all my life.”

          He kissed your lips. Again. And again. He let some linger, and you didn’t want to make out with him on the bus, but you did. You didn’t want him to stop because god damn Daehyun’s lips were soft and they made you melt into him. He was too sweet for you and he treated you like you were worth anything more than nothing and you were a damn wreck and he didn’t care. He didn’t even know and you already knew he wouldn’t care. You felt his tongue glide across your lower lip and the deal was sealed. You parted your mouth and let out a sigh as he slipped his tongue in and the kiss was tender.

          Through all the rough patches in your life and through this kiss, he was gentle. He ran his hands through your hair and let his fingertips run over the skin on your neck. You opened your eyes a little and his face was so rosy. His hands, no, his whole body was trembling with fear, excitement, resentment and everything in between. You told him nothing would change back at the house, but you knew damn well that was a lie. When you walked in with him behind you, it would take everything within your being to not jump into his arms and wrap your legs around him and lock your lips together like they were now. Daehyun was taking as long as he could kissing you without having to take a breath.

          Even when he separated from you, there was still the picturesque trace of saliva connecting your lips, which he brushed off quickly and meekly laughed. Cute. Daehyun was cute above everything. He still had his hands on your neck and he was rubbing circles on your skin with his thumbs as he looked off to the side.

          “That was nice.” he said, looking at you with just his eyes up through messy bangs. There was a nice firm blushed coating his face and it enveloped his neck, his ears, and surely his shoulders too if you could see them. His whole being was trembling still, but he sure had occupied the space he was in. You didn’t know if you’d ever see him so big in his life again. He looked so alive, and you felt alive right by his side. He smiled wide and it knocked the breath out of you. “You reminded me that everything in life isn’t out to get me, and when I kiss you, I know it then.” Daehyun whispered. He pulled you in again and let your foreheads rest together. “I want to be close to you always, and I’ll let you in on a secret. When I was homeless, I’d see you around on the bus. I’d see you working sometimes and I didn’t mean to watch you, but I did, and that’s how I know for certain I really, really like you.”

          You grinned. He leaned in again and kissed you softly and worked his velvety, thick lips against your chapped ones, and you felt like he was letting all of his love pour out into you, and you drank it all in. His skin was poetry and you realized then you wanted to read it all. You wanted to bring him home and strip him down and whisper all the things you knew he didn’t need to know but wanted to know anyways. Daehyun’s eyes flickered open and he stared deep into yours, searching for some sign of something.

          “I just spilled a really disturbing secret to you. Say something. Anything.” Daehyun said, letting out an airy laugh. You could tell he was getting nervous now by how he shrunk. He drew his shoulders in and you just smiled at him.

          “You’re still sleeping on the couch.”