Chapter 15: Nam Woohyun

One Thing Leads To Another

 

 

“Woohyun.” Sunggyu wasn't expecting any of this. He didn’t expect the warm feeling when the said man wrapped his arms around his neck. He didn’t expect the light comforting pats on the back of his head, as if praising him. He most certainly didn’t except tears falling from his eyes as he stands there, stilled for the shock has left him unable to process anything. But what he doesn't expect most of all of all if that the man he killed 2 years ago is standing before him, hugging him as if it was the most natural thing to do.

 

 

 

“Sunggyu hyung.” The other calls out to him again but this time in a relieved and loving tone. Sunggyu could feel Woohyun’s warm breath again his skin as his name gets called out in the same chocolate tone as he remembers. His arms don’t move, or rather he doesn’t let them as they remain hanging on his sides. The elder tries to speak a gain but his body betrays him as silence overtakes them.

 

“What are you doing here?” Woohyun asks with curiosity, looking right at Sunggyu in the eyes. The gunman wants to ask the same but instead moves his head to avoid the other. L notices that and quickly takes over.

 

 

 

 “We are here to see the female prisoner who was bought in roughly a week ago.” L spoke. It was only then did Woohyun look away from his lover and to the four standing behind. A smile grew on his face as he saw the familiar faces of Hoya, Sungjong and of course the most well-known assassin, Cho Kyuhyun. L however was a new face. 

 

 

 

“I see.” Woohyun said, tone changing to a more serious one. He refused to leave Sunggyu’s side and opted to remove from arm from the elder and bought it up to L.

“The name is Woohyun, Nam Woohyun. “

 

 

 

“L.” The cold city boy answered, shaking Woohyun’s hand before letting go.

 

 

 

“That’s all?” The brunette cocked up a brow as the younger gunman retracted his hand. He kept his eyes on L as the boy moved back to his place next to Sungjong. Woohyun’s eyes moved back and forth from the ‘new’ boy and Sungjong, looking them twice over before a smile was displayed on his face. His question was left unanswered when he left his lover begin to pull away. Woohyun didn’t stop him but missed the warmth the other provided.

 

 

 

“As L said, we are here to see the prisoner. Can you let us through?” Sunggyu asked as he walked back to his group. He put this gun back into his holder before taking Kyuhyun back from Hoya and held him by the waist. Woohyun noticed that but kept his emotions hidden. He wanted to tell Sunggyu to come back to him, to not touch anyone other than him even if the other was Cho Kyuhyun but now was not the time. He was told of the situation of the senior and knew exactly why he was here. It would be a lie if Woohyun wasn’t expecting him but he didn’t think there would be others, especially not Sunggyu.

 

 

 

“I can’t.” He answered, taking a step back to block the other’s path whilst folding his arms together. It wasn’t that he didn’t want to, he wasn’t allowed to.

 

 

 

“Why?!” Kyuhyun spoke up, taking a step closer to the brunette. His movements were forced and weak as he shuffled his was over to Woohyun. With Sunggyu’s help, he managed to successfully make his way closer to the other without falling over but his completion grew worst with just a few measly steps.

 

 

 

“You are forbidden from entering any further.” He lifted his arms up to block the others from going any further. Kyuhyun would have fought back if he wasn’t so tired. He would have but his body didn’t move accordingly. His mind told him to move but his body stayed standing. It frustrated him. Despite that, Kyuhyun wasn’t going to give up so easily. Any sign that Victoria was alright would satisfy him.

 

 

 

“Please…Even if it’s for a minute, I just need to see she’s not hurt.” Woohyun bit his lip, contemplating on what to do. If he allowed Kyuhyun through, he would have to face the consequences. It was too much to give up since the prisoner belonged to the 13th floor. Going against the rules especially when it came to a prisoner so highly guarded could mean having a punishment even worse than death. The HQ knew what everyone’s weakness was and Woohyun’s one was standing right in front of him.

 

 

 

“I can’t. I’m sorry.” Woohyun said, looking away from the group that stood before him. Kyuhyun was about to argue, make a scene, do anything to get behind the other when Woohyun opened his mouth to speak.

 

“I can, however let someone else through, as long as it isn’t Kyuhyun-ssi.” They rest exchanged glances before looking back at the other. Woohyun had his arms crossed while waiting for the group to make their decision. He was patient, not a hint of annoyance in his eyes as they hall remained quiet. Understanding the situation very well, Woohyun felt powerless with his inability to help the poor assassin. Had he been in the same situation, he would have done the same as Cho Kyuhyun.

 

 

 

“I’ll go.” It was unexpected of him to offer himself to such a thing but L did. The silence was expected and L knew that right now, he was the best person to go in.  Unlike Hoya, Sungjong and Sunggyu, he didn’t have any connections with the guards and if needed, he would use force to get rid of them. Provoked or not, L only had to do his job and it was to look after Cho Kyuhyun. If confirming that his beloved sister was alive and well, so be it. The only disadvantage he had was that he was going to be up against two assassins whose ability was unknown to him. As they were listed as ‘terminated’, their skill range and ability was wiped from their archive. Those who die must disappear. That was what the world of an assassin was. No traces of them were to be left after they passed. It was as if they had never lived in the first place.  

 

 

 

“Will you be alright?” Kyuhyun asked, moving towards the latter.

 

 

 

“I’ll be fine. I’ve seen her picture so I’ll be able to recognise her. Once I’ve confirmed she’s well, I’ll come back to the apartment. For now, please rest Kyuhyun-ssi.” The elder took a deep breath. Behind L’s nice words, there was a hidden meaning. ‘I’ll find you sister if you rest.’ It was the only time Kyuhyun felt weaker than the others but it wasn’t the first time he would end up compromising with them.

 

 

 

“Alright then. I’ll go back but please report back to me as soon as possible.” L nodded but left no words and Kyuhyun gave him one last look before turning back. With Sunggyu holding onto him, he made his way back. Sunggyu didn’t spare Woohyun a last glance as he focused on getting the weaker safely back to him apartment. Being honest, the other had hoped they could have spent a little more time then that but it wasn’t up to him. He was doing a job and an important one at that. Without realising, his existence had been found out by the last person he had hoped to.

 

Sungjong had decided to stay while Hoya took L’s place to guard Kyuhyun in case anything was to happen. Despite his weakened body, he was still a struggle to deal with if he was to launch a fight. Sunggyu was good but Kyuhyun was too unexpected.

 

 

 

“Alright then, follow me. “ Woohyun said once the others had stepped away enough for him to no longer see their figures. His face fell instantly once Sunggyu was out of sight. No longer did he have the happy-go-lucky grin on his face. No longer did Sungjong feel the warmth the other once had when they were together. It would be a lie if L were to say he wasn’t intimidated by the elder but he couldn’t let that show.

 

 

 

“I’ll be waiting L hyung!” The maknae shouted as L followed Woohyun into the hidden cells. Before they disappeared into the darkness, L raised his hand as to reassure Sungjong of his return. He didn’t turn back to see but he was sure the maknae had seen his gesture.

 

 

 

They walked in silence as they entered through a door. Entering, they were bought to a long hallway with minimal light. Somewhere along the line, they had walked for approximately 10 minutes; the light in the hallway grew. The walks were no longer concrete casting covered in a layer of paint but instead bare bricks for all to see. The temperature dropped drastically to the point where L found himself slightly shivering. Soon, the metal bars of the cells were in sight. He hadn’t realised what he was getting himself into by the time he had entered the place. Groans could be heard from all areas and with every slight glance; there would be the owner’s voice not far. Woohyun paid no mind to the prisoners who had enough energy to reach out to him. While the others stayed in their sad excuse of a bed, somewhere calling, screaming, call it what you will, to try and get attention. L knew many of them. They had done some horrible things to the point death was too good for them. Their missions would be plastered all over HQ in case they were spotted. No matter what, they were to be captured alive.  Their files were destroyed of and no one spoke of them again. What happened to them after they were found was a mystery.

 

 

 

It took another 10 minutes before they had reached their destination. The two had not words exchanged during that time but Woohyun’s micro actions of restlessness made it obvious to the younger he had a lot of questions in his mind. To be honest, the boy didn’t like the elder all that much.  There was nothing L could see in the man to deem him as ‘trustworthy’. During their time together, he had found the man to be somewhat obsessed with Sunggyu. Though he was unable to pinpoint what exactly it was, L was determined to find out one way or another. That way, he could finally figure out what who the man truly was.

 

Woohyun stopped in front of one of the cells. Unlike the other, the cell was not opened but covered with grey concrete walls. A heavy duty metal door was its only entrance as well as the exit. A small glass window at the size of a letterbox showed him what was inside. Before L could have a look, Woohyun moved forward.

 

 

 

“You’re lucky I’m not like the others.” Was all he said before he took out a set of keys from his front pocket, Woohyun proceeded to open the door. With a click, the latch was unlocked and the door slowly opened. L was met by a girl roughly the same age as him, looking out the barricade window just opposite. The sound had altered the girl, making her turn back. She looked and so did he, not saying a word. It was obvious who she was and L was grateful.

 

 

 

“You’re well.” He said. There were no bruising, no discolouration on her skin and she looked well but was still in her school uniform. He saw a change of clothes on her bed but was left untouched as well as the tray of food on the small round table in the corner.

 

“You should eat. After all, you’re the only reason why he’s still here.” Victoria looked at L with widened eyes, finally understanding what the assassin wanted to tell her. She turned to look at the small table before walking over to it and taking a seat. Victoria looked at the tray of food while taking a deep breath to stop her from crying. He’s safe. He’s alive, my dear brother.

 

 

 

 

“I don’t know who you are and I don’t know what you want but I will leave this place one day.” She stated before taking the chopstick and brings the food up to . L watched her for a bit until almost half the tray was emptied. A small smile came to his lips as he turned away from the cell. ‘My brother will take me home.’ The hidden words in Victoria’s statement shouted its way over to him. Yes, he was and L was going to make sure of that.

The door closed as L left. He stayed as Woohyun locked the door, his eyes focusing on the small letter box window. Thoughts began to fly through his mind as he watched with an expressionless face.

 

 

 

“You should go and report back to the others. I’m sure they’re waiting impatiently for you to return.” Woohyun turned to say after pushing the door handle once more to check that the door was fully locked. L nodded and began his way back to the exit. Despite them taking a long journey to get to Victoria’s cell, it had only been a straight hallway. The rough back was easy and L could make it back himself without Woohyun help. He walked on without a word, his mind wanting to get out of the darkness as soon as possible.

“it’s going to be difficult but it it’s not impossible. However, you need to know that a job is a job and that’s what I’m going to do. My job.” L didn’t say anything in return but he knew exactly what the elder meant. From that, it was obvious to which side Woohyun had chosen.

 

 

 

The walk back was just as excruciating as the walk in but L was happy once he had escaped the place. He was met by Sungjong who had stayed the entire time like he had promised and the other couldn’t help but engulf the younger into a fight hug as soon as they were close enough.  The door behind them automatically closed with a loud click.

 

 

 

“How was she?” Sungjong asked.

 

 

 

“Alive and well.”