Downpour

I See You When I Close My Eyes [PG-13]

Jessica walks along the busy hallway of the second floor of the school with Taeyeon. They walk briskly as they were about to be late for math class. Finally, they reach the room a minute before it starts. Similar to their homeroom class, they sit at the back part of the class. They take their notebooks and books out of their bags and prepare for the class to start.

“Good Morning, class. I’ll be checking your attendance first,” the teacher tells the class as he enters the room.

Jessica was staring out the window blankly, thinking about what could have happened to Tiffany. She felt guilty about leaving her there, alone, and she couldn’t do anything about it.

“Yoona Im?”

“Present.”

“Why did I have to leave her there?”

“Hyoyeon Kim?”

“Present.”

“I should’ve just prepared something simple for her.”

“Hara Goo?”

“Here.”

“If I didn’t sleep in the first place, none of this would’ve happened.”

“Sooyoung Choi?”

“I’m here.”

“It’s my entire fault. I never should’ve done that. I should’ve just stuck to our routine of meeting each other when I sleep at night.”

The more she thought about it, the more she felt guilty about what she had done.

“Jessica Jung?”

“Jessi,” Taeyeon whispers to her empty-headed friend. “He’s asking if you’re present,” Taeyeon continues as she nudges Jessica with her elbow.

“For the last time, Miss Jung, are you here?”

“Uh… wh… Yes, yes. I’m here,” Jessica replies as she raises her hands.

“Well, well. It’s seems like you’re not late today, Miss Jung. What’s gotten into you?”

“Wh… well… I had enough rest last night,” Jessica replies involuntarily.

“Well, I think you deserve a round of applause for this,” the teacher mocks Jessica. “Let’s give her a few claps, class. Then, we’ll continue with our lesson.”

The class does as they are told and they clap their hands thunderously. Jessica wasn’t paying attention to what was happening and what was being said inside the room. She kept thinking about Tiffany and her situation. She looks at the window once more. The sky was darker and the clouds were greyer. Then, a droplet of rain hits the window. She watches the droplet as it slides down the window slowly; heading right, and then the opposite side. As it reaches the window sill, a few more drops trickle down the window. Soon enough, it was raining. Jessica listens to the pitter-patter of the droplets on the window obliviously, not caring about the math class. After a few more minutes of mindless staring, the light pitter-patter turned into a heavy downpour. Jessica outstretches her hands and places her palm on the window. She feels the untamed vibration of the window as it shudders violently.

“Ms. Jung? What are you doing?” The math teacher asks as she sees the weird actions of the student.

“Oh… uhmm,” Jessica exclaims as she snaps her head out of the clouds. “I was just doing some equations on the window.”

“Well, you have a notebook don’t you?”

“It’s more interesting to write on the fog on the window.”

“Very well then; let’s finish discussing our new lesson so you’ll be prepared for our quiz tomorrow.”

“Quiz?”

“Weren’t you listening?” Taeyeon asks Jessica rhetorically as she takes a peek at her seatmate’s notebook. “You haven’t taken down a single note! What’s happening with you?”

“Nothing.”

“Don’t tell me that you’re still thinking about that Tiffany! She’s just a girl in your dream Jessica!” Taeyeon whispers loudly.

“She’s not just a girl Taeyeon! I love her! And this is none of your business!” Jessica whispers back.

“Fine! Be like that! Let’s just see how you do tomorrow. Don’t come to me asking for my notes or anything, because I won’t help you,” Taeyeon angrily replies as she turns her head back to the lecturer.

“Fine. I won’t,” Jessica replies as she continues to look out the window.

Jessica traces her name in the fog and writes Tiffany’s name below. She puts a little heart in between childishly. She smiles at her little piece of art and she looks back out the window. She continues watching the trees violently shake under the force of the winds. Some leaves and branches came off and they dropped to the ground somewhere far. She continues watching a storm form for a few more minutes. In a little while, the bell signaling the end of the period sounds. The loud echoing sound snaps Jessica out of her daydream. She puts her notebook and books back in her bag and she heads out to her next class. She does the same thing in three more. She kept looking at the window and fantasizing about a wide variety of things. The next class was signaled by a bell, but as she was walking on the corridor, the PA system suddenly .

“To all students and staff: due to the to the gale-force winds and the heavy downpour, we were advise to send all workers and students back home. You may now return home and classes and work will resume as the weather calms down. Return home safely.”

After the announcement was made, chaos came after. Students of all years and levels exit their rooms and screamed with joy as school was cancelled and ended on the day. Most of the students take out their cellphones and call their moms or their drivers, but Jessica walked outside casually and took out her umbrella from her bag. She opens the umbrella and she walks out the school, entering the heavy rain. She walks quite slowly to avoid splashing the water from puddles on her clothes. Suddenly the winds grew stronger and her umbrella could no longer handle it. The umbrella turned inside out, but Jessica kept her grip on the handle. However, no matter how tight she holds it, it kept slipping from her fingers. Soon enough, the umbrella was flying in the wind. She was now vulnerable to the rain. Her hair was wet and so was her whole body. She walks faster as she thinks of Tiffany, completely disregarding the large puddles of rainwater in her path. As she jogs hurriedly, thunder echoed in the skies and lightning lights up the whole airway. She shivers both in fear and chills as she starts to run. She splashes water all over her clothes but it didn’t matter because she was already soaked in it. Finally, she reaches home. She knocks on the door wildly with both hands as she was already freezing in the rain. Her mom opens the door for her and was shocked.

“What happened to you?!”

“S-s-s-school was c-c-c-c-ancelled, I-I-I walked home,” Jessica replies calmly as she enters the house.

“You brought an umbrella with you right?” Her mom asks as she takes a towel from a closet.

“T-t-the wind t-t-took it from me,” Jessica answers as she sits in front of their fireplace.

“Wait here, I’m going to make soup,” her mom tells her worriedly as she wraps Jessica with the towel.

“I’ll be changing my clothes first, mom,” Jessica shouts as she heads upstairs to her room.

“I’ll call you when it’s ready!”

Jessica climbs up the stairs, trembling, as she heads to her room. She opens her door, gets in, and then closes it behind her. She sits on her bed as she aims takes off her clothes one by one. She decides to take a long hot bath after removing her socks. She opens the door to her bathroom and she takes off her wet top. She undresses her jeans and her underwear came off afterwards. Then, she dried her hair with the towel her mom gave her and she was tied it up in a bun. She opens the faucet for the bathtub and warm water comes out. After a few minutes, it was filled to the brim. Jessica enters with her feet first, then she lies down as some of the water overflows and spills out the tub. She felt the warm water on her body and it felt good. She closes her eyes and enters dreamland.

“Jessica!!!”