Waking Up

I See You When I Close My Eyes [PG-13]

“Tiffany, I want you to close your eyes.”

“Why suddenly close them?”

“Just… close them.”

“Okay. They’re closed,” Tiffany replies as they sit in vast grassland.

“It’s dark right?”

“Yes. Very dark.”

“Well, that’s how my world looks like when you’re not with me.”

Tiffany suddenly opens her eyes and turns her head towards Jessica.

“That’s so cheesy!”

Tiffany exclaims as she hits Jessica on the arm softly.

“But it’s sweet,” Tiffany says with a smile.

“And true,” Jessica continues.

The two shared laughter and smiles as they wait for the sun to drown in the ocean.

“Oh, I have another one,” Jessica exclaims enthusiastically.

“Another one? Well, okay. Make this one good.”

“I’m looking at you.”

“No you’re not,” Tiffany tells Jessica as she looks at her. “You’re looking at the sunset.”

“Oh really? I must’ve confused the sunset’s beauty with yours!” Jessica replies as she turns her head in Tiffany’s direction.

“Am I really as pretty as you always say?”

Jessica looks at Tiffany’s eyes, then her lips, her body, and then her overall figure.

“Have you seen a mirror recently? You’re the most beautiful woman I’ve known!” Jessica praises Tiffany once more.

“Really?” Tiffany answers as her cheeks reddened with embarrassment. “Well, I think the same way about you.”

The two stare at the sky once more as the sunset approaches rapidly. They have been sitting on the grass for quite some time now. It’s always the last place they go to before they part ways. The grass was always green and soft between their fingers, the wind was always caressing their faces, and the sun was always setting exactly when they were about to separate.

“Jessi…”

“Yes?”

“Do you really think this is going to work?”

“What is?”

“Well… our situation. You know… when the sun sets… and we part ways… you know… about you and me.”

“Oh. That. Well, who cares when we’re in love right? All I care about right now is that we can spend time together although it’s only for a few hours each day. Isn’t that what you care about?”

“I cherish every moment we spend together, but it breaks my heart when it comes to my mind that we can’t be together twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week. I mean, what do I do when you’re away? I can’t possibly just sleep it off. I know you can handle being without me for a couple of hours, but without you, I’m nothing, literally.”

“You know what I do when I’m not with you? I think about you and I think about the times we’ve spent and the moments we will spend. Just close your eyes, think about those, and then count to three. After that, I’ll be beside you again.”

“If you say so, then I’ll try.”

“Well, the sun is about to set again,” Jessica says as she looks at Tiffany with sad eyes.

“Don’t be so sad. We get to meet again tomorrow,” Tiffany replies, comforting the person who has been beside her the past few hours.

Tiffany held Jessica’s hand as the sky was transitioning from a bright yellow to a dark orange. The dark blue sky was now about to overpower the sun-colored canvas. Jessica smiled at Tiffany and she returned the favor.

“Oh! I have another one!”

“Is it cheesy?”

“You decide.”

“I’m listening. “

“You’re holding my hand right now, right?”

“What?”

“It’s like having my world in my hands.”

“Because I’m your world?” Tiffany confirms as she looks at Jessica once more.

“Cheesy?” Jessica asks as she giggles at her own statement.

“It’s the sweetest thing you’ve ever said to me,” Tiffany exclaims as she holds Jessica’s hands tighter.

The two look at each other’s eyes intensely as the inches between their faces decrease in number. The two close their eyes at the same time and tilt their head slightly. Jessica blindly but softly holds Tiffany’s cheeks and then softly kisses her forehead. Her lips made their way down; between Tiffany’s eyes, her nose, her cheeks, and in no time, they were headed for the pink, wet lips that the lovely woman possessed. As Jessica’s lips were about to meet Tiffany’s…

“Jessica! You’re going to be late! You still have school today!”

“Yes mom! I’ll be coming down!” Jessica replies regrettably as she rubs her eyes with her hands.

Jessica looks at her clock and it read 7:49. School starts at eight in the morning, but Jessica always wakes up only ten minutes before it does. Today, she actually woke up earlier than usual. Well one minute earlier is still something to be proud of when you’re Jessica.

“7:49. Still enough time for breakfast,” Jessica thinks to herself as she removes her sheets and steps out of bed. “Mom! I’ll be eating breakfast today!”

Jessica heads to her bathroom as she s her skinny jeans. Yes, she sleeps in those uncomfortable pair of trousers. She jumps up and down to get the piece of clothing off her lower body. Then, after she throws her pants on the bathroom floor, she removes her socks next. She stands on one foot to remove one sock and does the same for the other. She removes her shirt after, slowly, as the soft cotton brushes on her gentle skin. Then, she admires her slim and voluptuous figure in the mirror first before finally removing her undergarments. She takes a hairbrush from the compartment behind the mirror and then brushes her hair a few times. Then, she turns the knob on the shower wall, allowing water to flow from the shower above her head. Warm water trickles down from her hair, to her face, then to her body. She rubs each and every part of her skin before reaching for the soap. She rubs her body with soap for a few minutes and then rubs her head with shampoo afterwards. Then, she turns the knob once more to increase the water flow, and the soap on her body and hair was washed away as she rubs herself slowly. Then, she turns the knob again, this time in the opposite direction, and the shower was turned off. She reaches for a towel and she dries herself up. Then, she wraps herself with the towel and leaves the bathroom.

“Jessica! Come down! I finished making breakfast!”

“Yes mom! I’ll be down in a minute!”

Jessica opens her closet door and a number of clothes appear before her eyes. She picks a top and a pair of jeans randomly and she matches the shoes afterwards. She looks at the digital clock on her desk once more.

“7:55. Not enough time to dry my hair,” Jessica says to herself as she opens her closet again and reaches for a baseball cap.

Jessica puts on a little bit of makeup before finally heading downstairs. As she reaches the final step on the staircase, the mixed aroma of freshly cooked hotcakes, eggs, and bacon force their way into her nose.

“You made this, mom?” Jessica asks her mom as her eyes search for the owners of the smell that tickled her nose.

“Yes, I did. Does it bother you?”

“Well, it’s just that you don’t usually cook this kind of stuff,” Jessica replies as she finds her way to the dining table.

“You don’t usually wake up this early,” her mom replies.

“Why don’t you eat with me mom?”

“I’m not hungry yet.”

“Don’t you want to accompany me while I’m eating breakfast?”

“I eat dinner with you, don’t I?”

“Well, yes, but-”

“Are you going to eat or what?” Jessica’s mom interrupts. “You’re going to be late. Again. If you don’t stop talking and start eating.”

“Okay mom. Sheesh. I just wanted to spend time with you. There’s no need to be sensitive about it.”

Jessica finally starts eating as she puts two pancakes, three strips of bacon, and half an egg on her plate. She spreads maple syrup on her pancakes, slices each in fourths, and then stuffs a slice into . She closes her eyes as she chews on the soft and sweet food slowly. It was the first time she has eaten breakfast in three weeks. She enjoys each and every bite with joy as her stomach feels the same way. Then, faster than a heartbeat, her plate was empty. She stands up from her chair and look at the wall clock on her right. It reads 7:57. She then pushes the chair back in the table, washes her hands with the kitchen sink, looks for her mom, and then kisses her goodbye.

“See you later mom!” Jessica tells her mom sweetly as she opens the door.

“Come home early!” Her mother replies.

Jessica leaves her house for school and she walks speedily towards the establishment. Her house was a few blocks from the school. It was probably one of the contributors as to why she has the courage to sleep a lot, even on a school day. Usually, the sun would be shooting ultraviolet rays at her and she would feel the piercing heat on her skin. On a normal day, the clouds were nowhere near the sun, the birds would be hiding in the trees, and the leaves on the treetops would be falling. Something was strange that day. The trees were greener than usual, the birds were chirping loudly, and the sun was giving off the right temperature. The weather was great, and it put a smile on her face. It seemed like it was part of her dream. After a few minutes of walking, she hears a loud ringing from afar. It was the school bell. She was late again. She starts to pick up her pace as she knew that she was going to get scolded by her homeroom teacher once more. Finally, she was in front of the school. The building was not that big for a learning center that supports primary and secondary students, but somehow, the pieces fall into place overall. She climbed the stone steps to the front doors and she finally enters school; the real world.